What's the state of Firefox?

Did they ever backpeddle on the Quantum shit? Or is the browser now doomed forever?

Attached: 1506437444_firefox-quantum_story.jpg (760x430, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1311790
chromium.woolyss.com
github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/faq.asciidoc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what is wrong with quantum? UI shit doesn't count, you can configure it to look mostly like the old firefox in just seconds. extensions i can understand but the performance had a massive improvement. if it bothers you just use waterfox or palemoon or some other hipstery fork

>what is wrong with quantum?
Bloat, the questionable developers, and the fact that all of the good add-ons are kill.

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Attached: Waterfox_Logo_(redesigned_2015).png (256x256, 30K)

Do tell. I'm currently on Firefox ESR, which I think expires soon.

only people with shitty rigs thinks quantum is slow.

Nobody's questioning Quantum's speed. What they are questioning is whether completely fucking gutting the browser and making it effectively Chrome was worth that speed.

Firefox has been bloated forever, mate. if you want a simple, non-bloated FF just go with Palemoon or something.

They actually fixed the UI and got rid of that ugly australis shit. They gave me back my square tabs and small icons, so I'm satisfied. I guess it feels more snappy too.

simply put: mozilla lost touch with the common people, overestimated their own importance and self-appointed themselves as the defenders of www.

now they're a bunch self-righteous has-been's, who refuse to own up to their own incompetence and inject their developer teams with sjw's in order to stay culturally relevant.

>Palemoon
Isn't that just as bad? Am I thinking of something else? What's the difference?

what happens when ESR gets to 57?

Attached: Capture.jpg (988x503, 64K)

I fear the same. Hopefully this thread will point me to a fork or persuade me to use Quantum.

Attached: About Mozilla Firefox_002.png (620x329, 60K)

my PC used to handle Firefox (a web browser) quite well before, on my shitty laptop. common sense tells me that an improved version should run at least the same as it used to, if not better.

update your browser

does anyone know when webrenderer will land in either beta or release?

I've finally bit the bullet yesterday because I was kinda bored and upgraded from 47 to 59. The speed is much better, no doubt, but god damn, forcing the addons into their new webextension model is complete garbage. All of the addon UIs are fucked, and they apparently have to have their settings in the separate "tabs". Even NoScript UI is trash now, which is surprising.

Other than that, I guess they have finally forced me to explore userChrome.js to get my old url bar back.

Quantum saved FF as far as I'm concerned. It feels more responsive and usable now, so I ended up switching back from Chrome.

Switched to this beauty last week. Admittedly it takes noticeably longer to start, but feature-wise it’s my all time favourite state FF has ever been in.
>suggested websites on tiles shown in new-tab actually make sense
>tabmix plus available
v nice

>Quantum saved FF as far as I'm concerned.

Attached: StatCounter-browser-ww-monthly-201702-201802.png (1280x720, 107K)

I'm not sure if I can. I don't think that there is an official ESR stream for Debian.

Pale Moon > Chromium > Qupzilla > Jewishfox

It's based on Firefox ESR so what will happen once the ESR is bumped to post-Quantum? There is one single developer so he alone can't maintain the pre-Quantum code base.

Pale Moon is based on Firefox 38 ESR (released in 2015) so it has none of the performance or security improvements since then although I guess the developer might have backported some security patches. Just like with Waterfox, Pale Moon too has only one developer working on it. It was based on an even older version before but the developer couldn't maintain the code base so he decided to fork off a newer release and it's likely to happen again.

I heard something about Firefox 60 but I guess it's been moved into the future since it's not finished yet (although for me it's working in Nightly without any visual glitches). The meta bug doesn't have any target specified.
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1311790

Like I said: as far as I'm concerned. I don't care whether other people use/like it.

servo > blink

but FF is still a memory leaking performance hog

Cool, so Waterfox will be shit shortly after ESR becomes shit and Pale Moon is unsecure, i.e. shit.

>what happens when ESR gets to 57?

Waterfox will release their own 56 based browser in august 2018. Or you can migrate to pale moon or build a chromium version with flash, sync, drm and --disable-reading-from-canvas
I think installing a tar ball with canvas disabled and Token Stripper is far more secure and stable than using quantum or any other firefox fork

Firefox now sucks almost as much as Chrome/ium and the other mainstream browsers. Sad really.

Why the fuck does Firefox use nearly 2GB of memory sometimes? This is ridiculous. I hate this browser now, but I'm not going to Chrome.

Falkon 3.0.0 is already out for linux. Soon mac and windows builds will be released
However if you are really interested in security you can use pale moon commander. It's by far the most secure browser out there. You won't need any addon except for ublock if you know how to tweak commander

It uses what is available. If something can be cached in RAM, it should. Empty RAM is wasted RAM.

You don't need 2GB to run FF. It would run fine on just 512MB if you wanted.

>If something can be cached in RAM, it should.
Fuck off. Stupid pricks like you is why we don't have nice things.

Do you understand how RAM works and what its purpose is?

I do. Me understanding how RAM works has nothing to do with windows failing at managing pages properly.

>Empty RAM is wasted RAM.
Thinking like that is what leads to bad programs. A program should only ever use resources it needs to use. Excess resources are for other programs to use in the same manner.

According to your logic, an operating system that runs at 100% CPU and RAM load at all times would be a good operating system. To hell with the fact that it would be completely useless

I had to go back to Chrome because Quantum uses too much RAM. Don't know any other alternatives that have all the extensions I need.

chromium.woolyss.com

Used to stay with ESR but switch to Quantum and it's comfy.

>Quantum saved FF as far as I'm concerned.
>up-to 20% of user base suffer from crashes daily

Attached: lmao.png (1081x601, 42K)

Nice of them to provide builds with WebRTC and pings off. Honestly was considering going back to Chromium anyway, Google's new strict site-per-process sounds pretty great for security.

I really wanted to like Quantum. I like Rust and I despise google. But it was literally a bloated piece of shit so I ended up using Qutebrowser

qute is good

just lacking in extension autism

>release Australis
>everyone hates it, asks when they'll bring back the old design
>over time everyone deals with it
>release Quantum
>everyone hates it, asks when they'll bring back the old design
>over time everyone deals with it

>tree-style tabs is kill
Why must evil exist?

What the fuck are you talking about?
Quantum is the best state Firefox has been in since forever.

Have you tried Vivaldi?

why are you lying?

>the questionable developers
doesnt count as an argument against FF

>Bloat
Compared to what? Opera? Chrome? Edge? hahahahahaha

>and the fact that all of the good add-ons are kill
such as?

DEAR OP KYS

Attached: FF.jpg (500x375, 42K)

Holy shit this new update seems to have improved performance by a lot on my end. Finally I can browse decently with my shitty internet connection.
Or maybe it's just placebo.

>Did they backpedal on an important rejig of the software
No. It's like ripping off a bandaid. It sucked if you were relying on the old addon API but it's a fundamentally better overall browser for it.

>Still managing over 10% market share against a competitor from a publicly trusted and liked company that has nag ads on several of the internet's most used services for it
I think Firefox is doing pretty okay.

go use some meme browser if you don't like firefox, no one is stopping you

It is shit now.

Firefox is unironically the best browser on the market right now.

>downgrade to less powerful Chrom-like extensions
>less and less users
>begging for donations
>getting political
so SHIT, literally

>>less powerful chrome like extensions
Last I checked firefox can still do more than Chrome.

But XUL extensions were much more powerful and now there is no any alternative APIs for Session Manager, DownThemAll!, mouse gestures and many more great extensions.

>bloat meme

Buy more than 4gb of ram maybe homo

worse and worse each day, seriously, I had little problem with firefox before and now websites crash to black 20-25 times a day and I have to refresh to get them back

>not wanting maximum efficiency

Why?

Kek

>Need over 4GB to run just Firefox...
lulz
what next... over 4GHz CPU

uwot, if my browser gets past the 1GB mark, i should probably clean up a couple dozen tabs
if it got anywhere near 4GB i'd be seriously concerned

I really miss vimperator

Quantum is the one good thing about the browser. Just yesterday I found an extension that had gotten silently installed even after I turned experiments off in about:config. I'm done with Firefox. At this point I just keep it around for stuff like Netflix and Hulu since those don't work well in Qutebrowser. Other than that, SJWzilla can suck my white male cock.

well I for one like the new design, liked the design before australis, but thought australis was absolutely cancer

Try qutebrowser?

Widevine (for Netflix/Hulu) should work fine in qutebrowser if set up properly, see github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/faq.asciidoc (at the bottom).

i hate the new chrome like settings page
how to restore the old one like css?

Fuck me, what even is the Sup Forums browser these days?

literally nothing changed with le quantum

Same. I love it. Better than Chrome and old Firefox.

How is that even possible? Firefox was getting behind chrome and I even made the switch temporarily a while ago. Then quantum came out and it was extremely good, still is as of now. This last patch was a blessing for me, my connection is pretty bad.

>this is what peak performance looks like.
So, slower than every other browser (including the new Firefox)? Got it.

quantum is currently the best web browser available.

Benchmarks didn't include addons. Chrome was never as fast as firefox once adblock was added. Ever.

>perfomance had a nassive improvement
Bullshit
That shit keeps crashing on me way more than it used to

Fuck, reading this hurt because I used DownThemAll! religously and I started using Session Manager just before the upgrade, so I only had a short time to use it. I just figure they'll be able to create similar ones given enough time.

I must be the only person I liked australis

>Phoenix, Firebird, Firefox pre 1.0
Very nice looking
>Firefox 1.0
It looks nice, but not as nice as before
>Firefox 2.0
It looks better than 1.0
>Firefox 3.0, 3.5
Atrocious and ugly, what were they thinking??
Ugly and bloated, worst Firefox ever
(around that time WebKit was maturing and chrome came out and it was fast!! Comparatively Firefox was a piece of shit, barely better than IE but it had extensions so I stuck with it
>Firefox 4.0
Very nice! Firefox looks great again!
>Firefox Australis
Beautiful! Best look of Firefox ever!
Looks great on any OS!
I loved the menu with big icons
>Firefox Quantum
Meh.. looks boring and uninspired
At least it isn't 3.0...
But it's growing on me, it's not offensively ugly, gets out of the way and the animations look nice

>It would run fine on just 512MB if you wanted.
It doesn't. Browsing /wsg/ on my laptop is hell, webms freezing everywhere.
Then tabs start going white when I leave them, reloading or crashing when I return.
Fuck your guts

>Quantum
>bad
Wrong frame, user.

jewish google employee detected

Attached: merchant_radar.jpg (300x300, 14K)

Based Slav dev ported Download Statusbar to quantum almost flawlessly so it's much more tolerable right now. It's still shit though. It's still the least shit of all shit too unfortunately.

Quantum is definitely an improvement, but I still want my orange firefox button back. Sticking with ESR for now because of that, and because it can still play flash and java games.

You mean that ones that leaks whatever you're downloading to all the webs you visits?

Lot of web-extensions works injecting code inside all webs (cause it's the only way to do stuff now with all the limitations) so they tend to leak a lot of stuff.

Got any reputable links where I can read more about that?

there's no need, test it yourself, create a mutation observer listen for modified or added nodes.

>profit

I'm afraid I'm gonna need it spoonfed to me, my webdev and programming days ended before web 2.0 became a thing and now I'm just a somewhat more tech savvy than average windows user.

According to Mozilla employee on Reddit, Firefox adoption and retention is actually way up. The StatCounter is somewhat misleading because a lot of users are choosing to either disable or block the stat reporting tool within Firefox.

>>literally nothing changed with le quantum

>Can't customize keybinds
>Can't create private tabs in the same window as normal tabs
>Tab groups are gone
>Any other extensions with advanced functionality are gone
Yeah man, nothing changed. Totally an improvement.

Am I the only one who never had big problems with Firefox? I have been using it since v2 and the only thing I hated was the Australis design and the retarded button menu on the right, but those things can be fixed with the compact theme and editing the userChrome.css file.
I'm currently using because of DownThemAll and exHentai easy (because I'm lazy), although having some bloat disabled by default is also good.

Attached: 1513573648871.gif (320x240, 456K)

var observer = new MutationObserver(function(mutations) {
mutations.forEach(function(mutation) {
console.log(mutation.addedNodes);
});
});
var config = { childList: true, subtree: true, characterData: true };
observer.observe(document, config );

This should be enough, look the results on the console, inspect the results to see relevant information like download url progress size file name etc...

all web pages can access this kind of shit just using a mutation observer.

Attached: we.png (454x370, 24K)

Thanks user, that's pretty worrying. I knew webext add-ons work by injecting code into the html locally but didn't realise that it can be accessed by the remote pages.

There's an extension for ExHentai right now on Quantum called ExHentai passport which automatically logs you in. (as long as your password on the forum is cached, of course)

injecting trusted content on random webs is a security fuck up but some of the apis proposed YEARS ago to mitigate this has yet to be implemented if at all.

there's a lot of random restrictions that makes injecting code the only way to do a lot of things and that always comes with a price but mozilla decided to ignore this concerns and launch web-extensions in an early and unfinished state.

Wtf is wrong with you, quantum is love.
If you can't run a "full feature" browser just go for qupzilla or something else.
Firefox quantum is nice as fuck for anyone who have a computer for the XXI century

Thank kek for waterfox.

Why?

Quads confirm, would I be wrong to just think of Quantum as 'ESR but faster and without all of my favourite add-ons'?

The only issue that I've got with Firefox is that Quantum kills my addons.