Anyone else is kinda bored with internet? I remember in 2000's there were endless webpages of cool stuff...

Anyone else is kinda bored with internet? I remember in 2000's there were endless webpages of cool stuff, small communities etc. Nowadays I only check something on plebbit and sometimes watch a youtube videos. What are some cool stuff to do on the internet when you wanna just chill?

Attached: Computer_speakers.jpg (640x480, 142K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4VCkq0e2920
milliondollarhomepage.com/
engadget.com/2018/03/12/the-father-of-the-world-wide-web-is-one-disappointed-dad/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm tired of life.

Attached: too long.jpg (333x279, 14K)

youtube.com/watch?v=4VCkq0e2920

This video apply to internet users as well

i started using this old computer in my spare time while im bored and its fun to see what this old piece of shit can and cant do

Attached: 20180312_120751[1].jpg (2048x1232, 1.45M)

The web has become too sanitised to be interesting, and the information has become so trite that it's not worth it from an educational standpoint any more. The way I see it it all started going downhill when the independent spirit of those on the web (making their own site on a subject even if thousands of others existed) started to vanish and be replaced by reddits and wikis.

Attached: tumblr_p5ibrleg1u1s18v6oo1_1280.jpg (1200x1200, 322K)

Attached: tendency to accumulate.png (2500x5562, 472K)

There are still endless pages of cool stuff, you just lost the ability to enjoy it anymore. It's called getting older.

I refuse to believe that I wouldn't find it interesting if i came across it, but that I would just not be able to find is behind the large screen of the major sites.

they're too big to avoid

The analogy I use is that the "web" is now more like a bicycle wheel, where even though you can spend as much time on the rim as you like, all paths lead to the centre.

And because the way that information is spread is so centralised the chance of just happening upon a really interesting piece of information is radically lowered. A good example of this is the Gemology text-file by Video Vindicator. I never would have looked for a 20 page essay on rocks, but once I stumbled on it I was glad I did.

how about just doing something without internet man

The web simply has consolidated. I only run into interesting stand-alone web pages every once in a while, and it's usually via Sup Forums.
You're also getting older. Endless fan theories about video games, walkthroughs for easter eggs, fora or silly flash games simply aren't that entertaining any more. Time to do something more with your life, my man.

the novelty wore off.

try tor / freenet exploring, it gave me the almost same thrill when you wait for several minutes for shitty site to load. Almost.

I think you have something there, but not quite in the way that you mean it. I think the novelty wore off culturally, so no one sees any reason but to fill the web with the most mundane shit, because anything out of the ordinary has no place in the realm of normality. But we also haven't quite gone far enough into this attitude that people could just decide to separate themselves from it should they wish. If someone didn't use the internet and used a computer for nothing more complex than a word processor and a spreadsheet then that would almost be classed as "too" mundane.

We're in a strange place, culturally, when it comes to computers.

>2007 was seven years ago from 2016

windows xp must be awful on that

Thanks for the you my frien
xp ran better than windows 7 i think. not sure what would be the fastest xp sp3 with pos ready or windows 2000 professional sp4

Attached: JPEG_20180311_120012[1].jpg (2048x1232, 1.33M)

Yes. But that's probably me getting tired of it all.

Attached: 1505261606411.jpg (616x577, 32K)

Attached: 20180311_192138[1].jpg (2048x1232, 1.43M)

What's everyone going to microsoft.com for?

Use JanusVR. It reminds me a ton of the early web. Really fun.

Probably updates

i got tired of it in 2000s
it doesnt get better

I might just swear of the web entirely at this point. Stick with Usenet, Gopher, IRC, etc.

no.. you simply can't find it is what it is.

>Usenet, Gopher
is anyone alive there?

I don’t understand how anyone can use reddit without throwing up. Either way, go back

TEENAGERS DETECTED !

I realised how it was all going when
johnnyihackstuff started getting all emotional about hacking for charity and all that bullshit

There was a site and I just cant remember its name it had these excellent stories about some greyhat hacker and all the technology they considered useful for hacking and network hacking. The day that site closed, about 2008/2009 I knew it was game over for the web
The site was called the zen of hacking or tao of hacking - something like that thousands of pages on surveillance and social engineering and I learnt a great deal about the hacker community off that site

Also cult of the dead cow went mainstream in a big way maybe 2005/2006
cDc, lopht heavy industries, and a few other communities all became kosher overnight and it was like "gee I wonder who is behind this website now"

astalavista, altavista, damn even the CIA got a public interface on their www pages. Not to mention all the jew ISP's started removing access to usenet and all the other non-www parts of the internet

Yup the internet is now just a trillion tons of adverts with a load of shit nailed to the side of them

Attached: htt.jpg (960x696, 198K)

These two go hand in hand in my mind.

Everything about the web just seems like a massive missed opportunity. Everything is its most trivial and most trite, and any possibility for any revival or re-imagining of certain art forms is dead. To me it all can be perfectly shown through the web comic, which is a form that is less punk and expressive than black and white underground comics from the 80s and 90s.

The limitations of the web were what made it fun. I've been hoping that ISP rates will eventually skyrocket, making it only viable to use cheaper service and forcing companies to create lighter weight sites (effectively killing the big 4). I miss going on 10 different forums a day, I used to have so many friends on the web. people were a lot nicer and less edgy aswell.

good site

>This
It's not even as bad as the media makes it out to be. Most pizza has been driven out. Although it is over saturated in drug/weapon markets in my opinion. There's definitely neat, interesting, and intriguing sites in the onion.

>now
lol if you think that they weren't spook training programs the whole time

time for a new hobby
you've got it
>I miss going on 10 different forums a day, I used to have so many friends on the web. people were a lot nicer and less edgy aswell.
brings back fond memories.

try some
p2p
that is what the web really is anything different is gay
>image yea i know its .. not running but opennap and theres others.

Attached: nappy.jpg (1280x720, 89K)

>people were a lot nicer and less edgy aswell

Well people back then used to have good quality names, now it's ll jamal and tyson, and jaylen, writing shit about shanysha and lateefa

>time for a new hobby

I think a big problem is that the web isn't a hobby any more. It's almost a fact of life. Like the commute to work, or taxes. But the death of individual places, whether they be forums, fan art/fic repositories, or whatever, changed the web irrevocably. It's been a while since I saw a site (that wasn't old) that had a links, or a files page.

A site that killed a bunch of shit is deviantart that site is so much shit now and it always was. Prior to deviantart you could actually find interesting interface ricers now they all copy each other

>It's been a while since I saw a site (that wasn't old) that had a links, or a files page.
true that, but it's because wordpress made web sesign so easy that everyone builds their own sites and ignore the rules of good documentation and user friendliness

i wanted to post some links, but
>Error: Our system thinks your post is spam. Please reformat and try again.
that's the internet for you.

post on pastebin and post pastebin link here

pffffff no

Plus people wouldn't be quite as willing to let their "content" be reposted without permission, even though it meant far more people would now read it.

we need to go back
milliondollarhomepage.com/

fuck you too

windows updates obviously... petabytes of bandwidth used, and gigawatts of electricity wasted stuck searching for updates

gopher, veronica are dead
usenet idk about
i wish there were more free ftp or file http servers around. it used to be fun browsing random files.

Attached: Screenshot at 2018-03-14 16-15-13.png (938x797, 207K)

This reminds me of that episode of Futurama where Fry connects to the Internet

same

I have been thinking for a long time that what I need is a plugin to exclude certain sites from google searches. I am pretty sure that if every search i made excluded every news media site and every stock image site and every government webpage and all the other utter shit I could probably find some decent stuff on the web but my search would be like 5000 characters long if i had to type it by hand every time

Have you tried linux?

Like the people not liking what they make being reposted (and oftentimes the markup and format of what they made doesn't lend itself to that), the idea of people just throwing a shit load of files up for whoever to just riffle through them like a bargain bin also isn't "the new way".

Search engines have always been counter-productive to finding interesting things.

Unless that search engine is Wiby.me.

JanusVR is literally like stepping into 1997 internet, but 3D. There are so many weird fucking sites, and experiencing it all in a 3D first-person perspective is amazing. I don't even have a VR headset and I love browsing through it every month or so for new sites.

wow thanks for that
just found some nerdy stuff I like
lofibucket.com/articles/oscilloscope_quake.html

It's posts like yours that make eating a few years of Sup Forumsshit worth while just to get a decent link

thanks

Interedasting

my god, they did it

Attached: the future.png (642x462, 375K)

just barely

Attached: gopher.jpg (558x356, 41K)

holy shit, that's excellent i am just trying it
damn these people who made this have got brains the size of a planet

This. Remember all the cool phpbb3 forums? 95% of them are dead now. In my countey, we had a big, awsome, high-quality Web Design forum that was building job ethos, encouraged originality etc. It's dead now. So what that there are countless FB groups now? It's hard to organise everything, quality artists don't stick together, and in my opinion, design in general went downhill terribly, and originality is close to dead (probably partially due to popularity of frameworks, too).

We had big airsoft forums - now we have countless FB groups, numerous events, hard to make a game with lots of people like we used too, prosecute cheaters, set up general rules, because people don't know each other.

Usability of modern chat clients/social media is garbage, push for minimalism at the cost of usability is insane. I used to be able to trim topics, cut out off-topic to a separate thread, create sub-forums on the fly for event users/organisers/etc. Can't do it anymore and the discussions are hard to maintain & follow. Not to mention positioning of all the merit threads, non-existent on FB. And the young people don't even know what they are missing. Meh.

Attached: 24464 - Hello, Dolly!.jpg (1313x1600, 510K)

I've always had an idea for a web clone that has its speed limited to around 512kb/s or less. I wondered if if may have been the increase of internet speeds throughout the years that brought on the rise of these web monopolies.

I hate when people say this shit
the internet is worse than ever thanks to and the endless horde of mindless normalfags

>I remember in 2000's there were endless webpages of cool stuff
Yea I remember finding webpages that would spark my curiosity like endless hacking sites, warez, and schematics/diy to awesome shit like emp machines, and how to pages to do cool shit (some guy had a crazy refrigeration setup for his pc). Nowadays everything I search for just leads to a retail site, pinterest, or leddit. Early onion sites started to recapture what I consider the golden age of the internet was like at first with self hosted hobby/info/hacking pages, but that didn't last.

let's just make our own little closed off retro haven

I've got that very same mousepad in a bin somewhere

>tfw even TBL knows it's shit
engadget.com/2018/03/12/the-father-of-the-world-wide-web-is-one-disappointed-dad/
web clone when

no need to reinvent the wheel
see

The internet is just smaller than before.

>I've got that very same mousepad in a bin somewhere
My mousepad was a huge thick plastic cutting board that I swiped from my kitchen. If I could find one similar for sale I'd still use on today.

>The father of the world wide web is one disappointed dad

picture caption:
Son I am disappoint

Attached: dims.jpg (1600x1068, 439K)

true

After a decade plus here I finally took the weebpill. Just catching up takes up most of my time that I'd be wallowing in apathy.
New hobbies always let you forget about the futility of life.

When Geocities was put in the ground, all of Berners-Lee's hopes for the web were in the casket with it. To be honest, I'm sick of going on about this; the old web is dead and is never coming back.

We can make it again, though.

You know who could fix the future of the internet? Us, of course -- a group of individuals from a broad cross-section of society who can outthink the hegemony of colossal internet corporations who are mostly fine with things as they are. Incentives could be the key to motivating new solutions
TBL

I will start designing our logo

hosting costs would need to go down somehow
ipfs would be great if we could have server-side scripting to go along with it

There still is, you just probably dont have any hobbies other than "computers", so you sit on Sup Forums all day

>I will start designing our logo
EVERY.
FUCKING.
TIME.

I don't think we can. There comes a time when you have to leave something in the mess it made for itself.

What I want is to somehow combine all what made the BBS, UseNet, and early/middle Web worth caring about in the first place. One thing I'd like is a return to the text-file as a method of spreading your opinion on things, guides, news, etc.

im currently building an era XP machine, though im doing it in a modern case for the time being
2.2ghz Pentium 4, 2gb of 266mhz DDR, a Geforce 6200 PCI and a 160gb WD Blue, on some mini itx board running wandews XP

Attached: Its+beautiful+_7eb16f7450ee135a7c209d8dbe49d7a7.jpg (1000x563, 157K)

Anyone have the infographic showing that 2007 was the year everything on the internet went to shit?

We can, as someone stated, limit it to 512 KBp/s or more/less...?

All it really needs is a change of ideas and philosophy, not anything technological. It has nothing to do with "designing the logo" but rather trying to recapture the arrogant anti-ego that people on the web used to have, where they'd post something and not get pissy if it ended up on another site.

I agree.

i dont think i have the one youre talking about, i have this one though

Attached: DEyirvBUQAEJwDZ.jpg large.jpg (1477x1941, 193K)

I think you misunderstood
when people say "I will start designing the logo"
It's almost like saying "Well thats a fucking colossal task wtf am I gonna do in light of the fact TBL is a fucking internet god" It's like saying ya know what if Sup Forums had to do that I'm guessing we would get as far as designing the logo. It's like being elon musk but not knowing where the fuck to start

>I will start designing our logo
subtle

One thing I've been thinking of with the site I'm making is the ability to take things away from the web and the browser and still have them function. And I think plaintext files are one answer for this. To me HTML files are actually dangerous in terms of their reliance on a program that might not be around forever, or makes far too many assumptions to properly work (every link is live) properly. Plus that using it as anything other than a navigation mode is almost a kind of vendor lock-in. It sounds melodramatic, but it's something I've really been thinking about.

Nice i'm also running a XP machine.

Fx6300
4GB Ram
GTX570
160gb hitachi + 80gb wd

Using for play old games and i'm planning to learn game dev, with a focus on legacy systems.

gay

It can be done, you dont have to use html

I know I'm going to get shit on for even mentioning it, but I've found the same sense of community that came from old forums in Facebook groups.

The key is they have to be private or at least hidden, and less than 1,000 people in them. You can strike up a rapport with some of the other people and form your own small communities.

it's still shit
everyone has to use their real identity

that's the problem though
they only remain that way until the
numbers get bigger, and the numbers must get bigger or the group will cease to exist. when a site doesnt recruit new members the old members disappear after a few years

Bookmarked thread. Will return tomorrow.

Night to my euroanons

Or they stick around and get insular and weird. Like the people who still play the same MUDs for decades.

this
im in one for low end PC's and another for vintage hardware
its the same thing really, someone posts about what they have going on, other people come in and chat about it

respectable adults dont care if other people know them by name

I've been in one that's maintained for about 7 years now. We're at just a few over 1,000 members now and haven't really let anyone new in for the past three years.

I've been using a fake name on Facebook for 7 years. The trick is to not pick something super fucking obvious. You'll find a lot of people who work in the public sector or in education use fake names and credentials. But I agree, I miss the days of people goes by handles.

If anybody isn't larping when talking about creating a web clone, join #Sup ForumsWeb on Rizon. Whether or not something comes of it, everybody is still free to complain.

I'm more bothered about the entire mass surveillance thing

I see what you mean
this guy was in a MUD for over 10 years

Attached: gs.jpg (290x174, 10K)