What is the best instrument and why is it lute?

What is the best instrument and why is it lute?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E2zbAO5_jCE
youtube.com/watch?v=qWJrMA3zJ5o
youtube.com/watch?v=y7uQPn0olv0
youtube.com/watch?v=Su2jKwjUq9A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Mandolin. I played it for the first time last time and it was so cool

Based lute gets to be best instrument for the week.

>I played it for the first time last time
wut

youtube.com/watch?v=E2zbAO5_jCE

youtube.com/watch?v=qWJrMA3zJ5o this solo is sick af

Sorry, I meant to say last month

It isn't. That would be guitar, toad.

It's obviously the sitar.

lute is a terrible instrument.

the laptop

Why? Also you're wrong.

the 808

I'm not a historian, but the lute was like THE string instrument before the Mexican acoustic guitar was invented right?

Bigger than violin?

The lyre is.

lute/oud player here.

basically the lute came from the middle east, was called and is still called "oud" in semitic languages, which means "wood", and had other names for persians like rebab if i remember correctly. Turks arabs and persians still fight over who invented it first. During the crusades, europeans imported the idea of also carving this half egg shaped instrument because its echo sounded nice as fuck, From the 12th century to the 16th the european lute pretty much ressembles the oud, then they added more and more frets it became the renaissance lute, and in the 17th century the so called baroque lute had so much strings and frets that it stopped beeing played mid-18th century for beeing a too complicated ass intrument.

The guitar however existed before the lute in europe in form of a "citarra" ( just google it, there are many forms of it and other names since there was no standardized instrument making up to the 18th century roughly ), also evolved like the lute or a pokemon so to say, with even more strings always more frets, was way less expensive and basically for hobos playing on the street. A lute costed approx. a horse in medieval and modern europe, so it wasnt for everyone. the lute was to guitar what guitar is to didgeridoo today. guitar was just to pluck some chords and sing nirvana to get a couple coins. Sadly still is, for most players.

and yes, i am obsessed with music history. I thought it would be a more interesting answer than a wiki article.

thats the puppy I play. ( i m not the faggot on the video btw )

youtube.com/watch?v=y7uQPn0olv0

Thanks for the info.

Because it is

probably the coolest modern instrument

this is cool too, check out the chinese pipa

The rebab was the ancestor for the violin. It shared simmilarities with the chinese erhu and the Indian Tar Shehnai. It later turnt into the Rebec, which was basically a 3 stringed violin. Rebec turned into the veille and viola da gamba, the difference being the rebes was a carved out bowl, and the veille and viola da gamba having a 'flat' resonator.

>with even more strings always more frets, was way less expensive and basically for hobos playing on the street
You are probably thinking about the Cittern, which came from the Citole. A 4-course instrument with double strings and 3 strings for the second course. This shares more similarities with a mandolin/bouziki then a lute. though this was played by all classes. because of the freedom given by the drone strings.

Also top tier early instruments
>Crumhorn
>Clavichord
>Portative Organ
>Theorbo
>Baroque guitar

>based john dowland was the GOAT singer-songwriter

youtube.com/watch?v=Su2jKwjUq9A

>not the glockenspiel

>the glockenspiel

> why is it lute?

It's because it can have the strings running in a plane parallel to the sound table.