Nirvana

What does Sup Forums think of Nirvana?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5W5opHN06iU
youtu.be/qE4JduWrK0Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Honestly, probably one of the most polarizing bands on this board.

I like them. I think they melded pop with the rock of the modern day perfectly. Just like Cheap Trick did in the late 70s.

These digits are nice

fucked around and got a triple double

Cobain is hugely overrated for Nevermind's success and hugely underrated for all other things. Nirvana's best songs aren't even on the albums.

Cobain had emotional depth, sincerity and faith into punk. It's ironic that in the end it was Nevermind that opened the doors for lots of shit bands, sold out the alternative scene, and came to be hated by future generations.

They were certainly a great band, although remembered as the premier in a sea of better bands. But they had the depressed/angry teenager vote. Of all the bands to have ever gotten THAT famous, they're certainly one of the ones I like the most.

they are good, but there's no way Nevermind is better than Ok Computer or even The Bends

Nevermind is mostly remembered for its influence. It was the record that put alternative rock on commercial map. But it isn't even their best one, and as I said Nirvana's best songs are not on their albums.

As for the obligatory Radiohead comparison—it's comparing apples to oranges. You're comparing bands from 2 different countries, 2 vastly different scenes, which made 2 different albums separated by 6 years. Both had substance, vast range of influences, and made top-quality music. I see no reason to try and reason who was the best.

>best songs aren't on their albums
wut

who ejaculated on music ?

ttttttttttttteeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrASSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

nevermind is overrated but in utero and insecticide are underrated nevermind was good for the influence it had on music it opened the world to alternative music and some of the best artist today were inspired by nirvana by some shape or form

the band is just so interesting everything about the members and the music how many said kurt was the most talented artist they have ever heard but he chose to play like shit and his thoughts on the world and people are so interesting his presents in pop culture is overrated for being the junkie in beat up clothes but no on ever looks past that

I dont know Im a out pleb with music and Im pretty basic with my taste so take what you want with that

Verse Chorus Verse
Sappy
the entirety of Hormoaning EP (except D-7)
Dive
Jesus Don't Want Me for a Sunbeam
You Know You're Right

Just some of their best stuff

Of course Nevermind and In Utero are great too.

Look up "With The Lights Out" on YouTube. It's a compilation of songs that never made it on albums and they're all good. My personal favorites are "Clean Up Before She Comes" and "Oh, The Guilt".

so what's the deal with this?

Poor man's Soundgarden.

The quintessential gateway band to decent music. Maybe also the death knell of rock's mainstream social relevance.

It's good

Can't say really.

Some people claim it was "real" Nirvana, but I honestly disagree.

> According to Cobain, the music on Bleach conformed with the grunge genre Sub Pop heavily endorsed. "There was this pressure from Sub Pop and the grunge scene to play 'rock music'", Cobain said, and noted that he "[stripped] it down and [made] it sound like Aerosmith." Cobain also felt he had to fit the expectations of the grunge sound to build a fanbase, and hence suppressed his arty and pop songwriting traits while crafting the record.

To me it was Nirvana trying to sound like grunge of the time. Pretty bleak, less hooks, less energy. Punk influences are limited to mostly hardcore. My favorite tracks on the record are School, Blew and Floyd the Barber. The rest I could honestly do without.

If you seriously like Bleach the most, probably Nirvana isn't for you. I'd even go as far as to say Nirvana doesn't sound like itself on the record. They moved away from this limited direction, I think for good.

meh. Kind of overrated. Most of the songs sound like cobains trying to fit a gun in his mouth the whole time.

Great band, favorite album by them is definitely "In Utero"

Kurt Cobain is DEAD lmaoooooooooooooooo

foo fighters is better
and if anyone disagrees OP they're just trying to get THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST of you

Foo Fighters is like dadrock for vaguely christian teenagers

They're overlooked for their actual musical integrity though. People get lost in this, "oh they're just an edgy teens anthem."
Kurt Cobain is one of the best songwriters out there, his lyricism and progressions are excellent, often overlooked due to the fact that they sound cringy out of a 14 yr olds mouth.
As an actual band they were great too, Cobain was an excellent guitarist, had large punchy riffs while still filling the sound of a three piece band perfectly. There's very few 3 piece bands that sound as full and punchy as nirvana.

Just like a lot of super popular bands, they're actual performance is often drowned out by their terrible fanbase.

This.

Clean up before she comes, mrs butterworth, spank thru, you know your right.

So many good songs that weren't on ther studio albums. I love the sliver album with all their demo versions.

This definitely.

Bleach was their tame, over produced entry album. Easy, generalised listening to build a fanbase. It's the recipe to success, both bleach and nevermind were like this. In utero is where Cobain starting making music like he wanted too.

This is why people say the best nirvana songs aren't on their studio albums, the demo versions of their songs and their unreleased tracks are the best because they aren't overdown and toned down for radio listening. Raw nirvana is some of the best music of the decade.

Foo fighters is dave grohl trying to replicate nirvana. Too bad he's a shit writer and a boring composer

this

This. What amazes me is how his sensibilities come together.

Look up his list of favorite albums. I listened to some of them before, classics like Sex Pistols and Stooges. But as I listened to the rest of it, album by album, it all really formed a full coherent picture, all pieces falling into place.

You can really pin down some Wipers vibes, some My War-era Back Flag vibes here and there in Nirvana's music. It's even easier to see where he was inspired by Pixies, and R.E.M. and Sonic Youth vibes are very apparent on In Utero. But it's simply mind-boggling to me how Cobain seamlessly fused it all together and managed to sound like himself.

And yes—his songwriting abilities were up there with the best.

I said in that post they're a great band, one of the finest of the era in fact, but of all the things to be said of them, being "overlooked" is about the last thing. Especially so when you consider the better bands who got less attention due to being Nirvana's peers. Marginally less, but still less.

>As an actual band they were great too, Cobain was an excellent guitarist, had large punchy riffs while still filling the sound of a three piece band perfectly. There's very few 3 piece bands that sound as full and punchy as nirvana.
I definitely agree with this. Very few bands have I seen do more with less.

huh. i always felt it was terrible, lifeless, and bland

didn't know that was intentional

Look at their late 80's demo versions of songs then listen to bleach. It doesn't even sound like the same band.

Bleach was a smart album, it was just easy enough to listen too while also being grungy that it perfectly glided into the mainstream market. nevermind they got the ratio perfect and it shot them to number 1 across the world.

youtu.be/5W5opHN06iU
youtu.be/qE4JduWrK0Y