/vinyl/ general

how do you organize your records Sup Forums?

genre? release date? condition? none of the above

Other urls found in this thread:

discogs.com/Talking-Heads-Speaking-In-Tongues/release/1443184
discogs.com/user/SyBorg/collection
hellomerch.com/collections/boris/products/pink-deluxe-12-triple-lp
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

alphabetically you fucking idiot

Alphabetical by artist like a normal person.

never thought of that somehow lol

i guess it makes sense, but i have a bunch of filler albums from my parents collections still and i don't want them sitting next to my good stuff. i've got almost as much as the OP pic

>autobiographical order

Alphabetically, but in groups: 12" singles, LPs, compilation discs and 7".

>tfw you manage to fix a skip caused by a deep scratch

>#5

How'd yeah do it?

Snap a match or a toothpick in half and smooth the scratch with it.

Alphabetical order. Why any other way?

Anyway, I went to my local store today and found that they had this on sale for $60: discogs.com/Talking-Heads-Speaking-In-Tongues/release/1443184
I was really eager to buy it at first, even with that price tag (since I had almost the same amount in store credit), but when the clerk gave it a spin, it skipped at least 3 times on the first track alone. That was a real disappointment, and enough to make me turn it down. Instead, I got a first edition pressing of Close to the Edge, an early promo copy of Ommadawn, + a couple other LPs and CDs.

i dont organize them :)

Is the Audio-Technica lp120 a good tt for its pricerange?

rym rating

alphabetically by artist, chronologically by album.

the patrician way

This.

Isn't this standard?

objectively best

I still have less than 100 records so I guess I don't really organize them.
I keep them safe as fuck tho

Alphabetical(last name if artist of band's name), and if I a more than a vinyl per artist chronologicaly.

I separate them into 50s-70s and 80s-present. In those subsections it's alphabetical by artist. When I have multiple by one artist, those are arranged chronologically.

>Close to the Edge
>Ommadawn
nice

Yes

I should really visit my other local record store one of these days. There's two near me, and here's how they compare:

>The one I frequent more often because it's closer
+ Great selection of both old and new pressings
+ Staff are helpful and engaging
+ Plays killer tunes through the store's sound system
+ Sells decent to good turntables
/ Prices vary from decent to really expensive
- Places price tags right on the fucking cover that are a pain in the ass to remove
- Ugly website

>The one I don't go to as often because it's further away
+ Stricter policy regarding the records' condition/rarity
+ Great trade-in value
+ Fucking massive jazz selection
+ Places price tags on the inside of the sleeve instead of on the artwork
+ Helpful website that includes the store's catalog
/ Usually only one guy on staff
/ Still has way more dollar bin records than the other store for some reason despite the aforementioned policy
- Doesn't seem to buy electronic music

I should make another visit to the store that's further away, but at most I'll probably be able to make one more trip before I start moving a couple states away this summer

Here's my setup

Discogs: discogs.com/user/SyBorg/collection

WAITING ON:
Boris - Pink (2016 Reissue)

This is objectively the best and the only way you should sort your vinyl.

Partially alphabetically by artist (last name preferrable), but Animal Collective stuff is together in the middle (AnCo, Panda Bear). Thicker albums like box sets are last, followed by 10-inches (fuck them).

this is it mane

>all these plebs in this ITT not filing their albums by cover colour

Yeah, but if you invest only a little more, you can get Pro-Ject Debut and similar, which are quite an improvement.

underrated

Exactly

Alphabetical by artist name, then by release date, earliest first. For me though, artists who use their first and last names are organized by their first name. For example, Amy Winehouse is under "A"

By artist alphabetically, then album chronologically.

First name or last name?

Last name.
If you filed your books by first name, everyone would laugh, no reason it wouldn't be the same for music.
I am still torn as to where Captain Beefheart should be.

Since it's an artistic name his real name is nothing like that, put it on C. Would you put "Panda Bear" on B?

Panda Bear is clearly a full name, meant to be taken as a whole.
But if you go by most catalog registeries and other norms, when you have a title, it's the name that is used for classification and not the title.
I'm too autistic for my own good with these things.

This

alphabetical by first name cuz fuck you bitch

If I get the lp120 should I bypass the built-in preamp and buy one?

>he doesn't file Lil B under B
>he is a pleb

Got my first vinyl today lads

Good first pick my dude, have fun investing

>alphabetical by first name
fucking why

Bypassing the built-in preamp is not enough. If you want to get the best of it, you should physically remove it.

My nigga, it's also the first record I bought on my own.

>Bypassing the built-in preamp is not enough. If you want to get the best of it, you should physically remove it.
As someone on a budget who has no soldering skills, is this something someone who's only casually into vinyl can just ignore? Like my receiver and headphones are in the $200 range each, so it's not like I'm going for optimal audio quality.

>is this something someone who's only casually into vinyl can just ignore?

Yes. As a casual vinyl listener, I haven't done this with my LP120 and I'm still happy with it. Sounds fine for what it is.

When you think of Miles Davis do you think of Miles first or Davis?

What's the album?

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada. It's an EP.

Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada by Godspeed You Black Emperor

better luck next time my boy

There was a pink reissue??? where?

What turntables are you guys using these days? I have a Rega Rp-1 which is working pretty great for me

>calling it a vinyl

Noted.
What are the accepted terms?

I buy CDs because they sound better and are more economical for the artist.

vinyulls
big black pancakes
analog cds
matte laserdiscs
circular cassettes

Alphabetical by artist name, Chronologically within artists if I happen to know it.
I sort solo artists by their first name tho
Multi-artist releases go at the end in whatever order bc I don't have that many.

because first comes before last

i don't see anyone asking for your opinion

>I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear!

Singular:
>LP
>record

Plural:
>vinyl (NOT vinyls)
>LPs
>records

vinylses

everything about this is great except speaker placement, though it looks like you don't really have room to do a good job with that. i have a C 326BEE too.

Yeah I just set it up again, I tried to find a better place to put them but honestly I don't have one.

hellomerch.com/collections/boris/products/pink-deluxe-12-triple-lp

Miles. However when I'm looking at a collection of things (eg. records) I'll look for "Miles" under "Davis" because that's the way things are sorted. See

Play with the dust cover open or closed?

Closed, obviously.

Old linear tracker from the late 80's. Can't complain, I only wonder why they don't make these anymore these days.

Thanks for giving me that idea. As a borderline autist, I have now started attempting this.

I don't understand

What don't you understand ?

by price

nevermind, I looked it up.

Open is the correct way.

No.

>Divers costs more than HOOM

Kill me please. How does this make sense at all?

>wanting to get dust on your records

I just got this in the mail. It is a rare test pressing of one of my favorite albums, 9 Lives to Wonder by the Legendary Pink Dots, on 220 gram vinyl. This is numbered 14/15 and has handwritten track titles. It is also now the rarest item in my music collection.

>Boris - Pink (2016 Reissue)
I just preordered this and I'm very excited. Which version did you get ?

>which version did you get?
Light Pink and Dark Pink, coolest one desu and will probably be the most sought after

Would do closed, but everytime I walk by my turntable the dust cover jiggles and bounces on the table

>Light Pink and Dark Pink, coolest one desu and will probably be the most sought after
Same. It'll probably sell out before the others. I don't want any purple vinyl on an album titled Pink.

It gets even more confusing with artists from other cultures like India or Thailand. I have no idea what the naming customs are like there, so I can't do anything. Also, compilations are iffy. I usually sort those by the label or the editor.

alphabetically by drummers first name

This might be of some help

Compilations and soundtracks I usually file alphabetically.. At the store I work at though, they get filed at the end.
As in: Artist a to z - soundtrack a to z - various artists a to z

i don't have a huge quantity of soundtracks or compilations though, so it's not too much effort to remember where they are and whatnot..

>test pressing

I recently ordered Khanate's self-titled deluxe edition reissue, and on the comments I've asked for some spare test pressings. What are the chances they've actually sent them?

Damn, thanks a lot for that.

I've never heard of that happening, but I reckon the odds are pretty low. If they're planning on distributing test pressings, they'll usually sell them separately for a higher price.

Alphabetically.

I told you ages ago that those letters looked tacky.

But you still haven't taken them down.

Alphabetically by artist.

I organize by genre then sort them alphebetically within the genres. 7inches by themselves

show your recent purchases

Nobody gives a fuck about your shitty opinion.

>making new discogs
>have to add all music all over again

please end me

and my most recent

First in groups of 12" singles, LP's, 10"s and 7"s. After that i order them alphabetically.

Nice GYBE! and Heliocentrics you got there.

Posting this ad nauseum until new stuff comes in the mail:

>Ulver - Nattens Madrigal
>Made in Mexico - Guerillaton
>Animal Collective - Live at 9:30 box set
>Khanate 2xLP grey vinyl, plus bonus LP with live set

I can't control myself with purchases

I finally said enough is enough. I've had skinny fists and kanada for years and never picked up fagfinity for some reason

the boc reissues are top

>Sun Araw

good shit

I still need Infinity. I got the newest one and Skinny Fists. Unfortunately, I never really liked the pressing of Skinny Fists - it seems a bit flat in sound.