Regardless of whether you enjoy TLOP or not, is it fair to say that it's Kanye's most inconsequential album?

Regardless of whether you enjoy TLOP or not, is it fair to say that it's Kanye's most inconsequential album?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduation_(album)#Legacy_and_influence
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Graduation is by far his least interesting, least provocative, worst album.

The massive success of its singles, and the very first departure from the soul sampling of the first two albums make it more important than this album

No. That one he did with Jay Z is the least consequential. This is a close second, though.

OK so show me Kanye that sounds like Feedback and FML

agreed that Graduation is his absolutely least important album

OP, TLOP will be Kanye's In Rainbows when everything pans out - some fans who are insecure that they weren't around for the OKC/Kid A divide in the fandom (MBDTF/Yeezus) will glom onto it as a symbol of Kanye's extramusical impact (the choice to only allow it on streaming platforms, the willingness to edit it further after its release) and over time the lines will blur between critics hailing its "revolutionary" release format and filling in the blanks of the musical content they forgot they had to analyze.

No way, Graduation was fucking absurd in how eclectic it was. Elton John, Steely Dan, reggae, Can, Daft Punk, 8-bit shit, etc.

It was his huge in moving past soul samples and into synth and electronic music.

>it sounded like pop shit
>WOAH BUT MOVING TO THAT FROM INTERESTING SOUL BASED MUSIC IS SO INTERESTING
Fuck off /r/HHH

>implying all Kanye West isn't pop shit
you're really trying too hard if you think any of what West does transcends pop. stay mad that Graduation has better pop chops than the first two records and is a more lean listen than MBDTF, nu-male.

Yeah, i'm not counting that or cruel summer.

And for those saying Graduation wasn't an influential album:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduation_(album)#Legacy_and_influence

If you think 808's, Yeezus, and parts of TLOP don't go far outside Pop taste, you're an idiot.

LR and Graduation are his best albums you fucking pleb.

Feedback sounds like Yeezus and FML could have been on MBDTF.

>he likes Kanye's poppiest and least challenging albums best
>he calls others plebs
embarrassing newfag

i enjoy pop because i'm not a sperglord. i don't play dress up with artists like Kanye and Radiohead and pretend that what they're doing isn't impressive pop.

>808s
the fact that this record has spawned a legion of followers who have dominated popular culture for the past few years (Future, Young Thug, Lil Yachty, basically every rapper who's focused more on melody and partially or wholly sung verses owes something to this record) should be enough to demonstrate that it's peak pop. if you have any familiarity with '80s Chicago House, this should become even clearer.

>Yeezus
this is probably the best argument you have for going outside of pop, but that might be a difference of definition. for me, pop music is non-formal, non-folk music. it's not "charts." by either definition, though, Yeezus is partially or wholly pop. for one, it had charting singles, which is an argument in itself, but actually looking at the DNA of most of the songs, they're basically an adapted version of the structure from MBDTF songs without the hip hop convention of loads of guest verses. the production is harsh and abrasive in a lot of parts, but pop music in the 2010s is far from bubblegum, and these kinds of production flairs are present across the spectrum. Kanye was a vanguard member of this shift, just like with 808s, but the fact that what he did was so easily digested into the mainstream within a few short years shows he's a visionary pop artist, but still a pop artist.

>TLOP
i literally don't understand what about this album goes outside of either of our definitions of pop (again, assuming they even differ). taken as a whole, it's a disjointed affair, which i guess you could argue is rare in pop albums in the sense of chart-toppers, but i would argue if pop to you is charting music and not my broader definition, barking up the album tree is a dumb thing to do. the singles have performed very well, and it's a return to a lot of the more readily embraced Kanye stuff.

>Feedback sounds like Yeezus
It doesn't at all, are you saying Merzbow = Autechre? It's completely different style.
> FML could have been on MBDTF.
No fucking way, there's no comparison. MBDTF was focused on maximalism.

Hip hop fans are so fucking stupid god

Show me a pop song like Say You Will
Show me a pop song like FML

>brings out Merzbow as the equivalent of Feedback
>things Yeezus sounds like Autechre
go home, newfag. learn about noise and IDM and stop meming.

Oh yeah Kanye's other albums are just so challenging aren't they? That's why we all listen to Kanye right? Kanye isn't pop! Right guys??

mbdtf was pretty maximal for the most part, but it also had tracks like Gorgeous and Runaway which were pretty minimal. I could easily see FML on there. Feedback sounds just like Yeezus to me.

I'm saying that there isn't just one kind of noisy moron, it's not a straight analogy.
Only parts of Runaway are minimal.

Not sure you actually understand what Pop is. 808s is straight up pop, and so is Say You Will. Kanye will even tell you that himself.

I'm not a fan of Kanye and thought his other albums were trash, but this one has to be the least trash, and the lyrics are pretty funny

>Only parts of Runaway are minimal.

I think my point is still pretty strong here.

Say You Will could be compared to Turn On the Lights by Future
FML could be compared to any of the modern dark R&B stuff, from The Weeknd (who's on the track, by the way) to Lorde pretty easily

both were charting songs on the Billboard Hot 100, so they are themselves by any definition pop songs. i don't get why Kanye fans have to be defensive about the fact that their favorite artist is a pop artist. he's a great artist, but that doesn't mean you should take him out of his genre. it's like saying Monet is a high modernist painter. it's a factually incorrect thing borne out of insecurity in the genre you've chosen to invest time and a perception of others thinking you're a pleb instead of an embrace of a visionary artist in what field he chooses to participate.

Graduation and MBDTF were his poppiest you autistic nigger.

Disagreed, but I think it's hard to come to an agreement on Ye's least consequential album

i think how displayed the creative process was will make the album somewhat infamous. The constantly changing tracklist, the listening party, the wild tweets.

plus, this album comes out at the forefront of what seems to be a streaming war and will be remembered as one of the first major players.

a lot of the tracks already have shown influence in music too (considering how long its been out) Ultralight Beams clearly paved the way for Colouring Book (or at least the hype) and there is no way Panda would've went number 1 on the billboard had it not been for Father Stretch My Hands.

it will always be divisive, but I find it personally interesting, and there will all be fans that do.

>tracks show influence
it's not really influence so much as those other artists have decided to release material recorded in the same sessions and mindset. it's not like Chance and Desiigner heard TLOP and decided to go in that direction. they were part of making it go that direction.

No it cannot. You're an idiot who doesn't know anything about music theory.

>thinks Kanye West isn't pop
>accuses others of not knowing music theory
just because you've learned a scale or two in your high school jazz band doesn't mean you're some sort of authority, but i'm interested in your theoretical dissection of what Kanye West has done to completely transcend the pop form.

Not a very good argument. When graduation came out, there were no kanye songs that sounded like flashing lights or stronger

I say yes based on purely anecdotal evidence. I don't know anyone in real life who talks about this album or talked about it much after its release, whereas I've had someone to talk to at length about pretty much anything else Ye has put out. Hell, even the Internet response has seemed pretty muted. It just didn't seem to make that much of a splash.