youtube.com/watch?v=5qX1bwAxRu4
mega.nz/#!qgMS0CJK!cH_9dejF9CKfcJ1DmlURqAnor7UQ4HTTb7sSC5HvEX0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Album too long
I'm tired

still waiting to hear exai before i dive into elseq

First review is up lads
factmag.com/2016/05/24/autechre-elseq-review/

i want to see negative reviews because i already confidently think the album is good and i don't care about positive opinions

Do you guys listen to it all in one go, or do you separate it?

I first listened to all of it at once, but that became very exhausting and samey in the end, but listening to one disc, then listening to a completely different album, then listening to the next, and keeping alternating is proving to be a lot better, and all of the songs become more memorable to me.

i did the same as you. listened to it all the way through, then each disc separately and preferred the latter approach. however, now i'm more familiar with the tracks and am able to differentiate them, so the 4 hours doesn't seem as tiring as it did the first listen.

certain perspectives can still be enlightening even if you agree with the general opinion.

Trying to make sense of the review of Autechre, Untitled? It's a one-act play that starts with:

(Sitting in the dormitory room just after class on Thursday, Achilles changes into his gym clothes as his roommate Tortoise bursts through their door in a fit of happiness.)

Tortoise: Achilles, have you seen this?

Achilles: What?

Tortoise: Do you see? Yes? I'm referring to the object, though small in size, quite interesting in stature, I am holding in front of you now.

Achilles: It's a CD.

And ends with:

Achilles: And my point is, if it's driven by form, it's a pretty messy, lazy form-- certainly no more structurally sound than any other software wank music. On top of that, if I'm supposed to "feel" this, to pick up on some obscure metaphysical in-joke, I'm not-- isn't it the job of a good artist to make that shit clear? Either way, it fails for me. Autechre decided to go their own way, fine, you know, just don't expect me to call them "geniuses."

Tortoise: [Sigh] Alright, Achilles, I can see we're going to have to agree to disagree. I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

Achilles: Oh don't worry, dude, just wear headphones when you play that stuff.

the review's conclusion is that people have differing opinions on it, not really that good because the reviewer doesn't take a position but it's somewhat creative i guess.

>gives Untilted a 7.4
>gives MBDTF a 10.0
>still seen as a relevant place to get information on music

Why do all IDM artists type like that?

drugs

i think the review highlights both extremes i hate when it comes to autechre (and to a lesser extent, every other artist that has progressed) listeners

one side is completely stagnant and refuse to acknowledge ae's work after lp5 and the other side treats ae like a messiah and that they can do no wrong.

tortoise's bias isn't nearly as bad as achilles' (hell i don't even think there is a bias: he might just genuinely enjoy it), but the stuff he's saying isn't far off from what i hear from some diehard fans

at any rate, the review is more focused on telling a narrative than actually reviewing the work. it's creative, but fails to deliver its purpose

don't know why i formatted this post so stupidly. i wanted to spread it out but eh

The whole review is just the writer's way of letting people know he read Godel, Escher, Bach.

Untilted was one of my favorite Ae albums for a while, but one day something sort of switched off and now I place it closer to the bottom. I mean I still like it, but for me it's lacking in anything organic. Even Draft has a sort of oaky quality to the percussion, while LP5 makes up for it's mechanical nature with memorable and even heart-tugging melodies. Too me it's the closest they got to the stereotypical perception of post-2000s/second-wave IDM. This is partly why I'm very pleased with elseq's fluidness.

I still rate LCC highly though and Iera is everything I love about Autechre.

all at once at first, then however I want.

acidwin2 is great, but why does a sound emerge that sounds like a a neighbour's dog crying that you can hear through the pipes?

if i start microdosing lsd all the time will i become arca?

Untilted has to be their most underrated album. It still doesn't seem to be mentioned often.

It was probably the moment where I really became a super-massive AE fanatic. I still think it's great and misunderstood. I think it's clearly a bit more straightforward - beats and melodies. That's why it's good.

Nobody shits on Tri Repetae for being beats and melodies. Untilted is just a more complex update on Tri Repetae, basically. It's a classic.

>doesn't like oaky percussion

But I do, that's what I was saying. Even Draft has a facets to it that are organic.

Untilted is definitely their most underrated in terms of critics/music writers, but it's a favorite in the AE "community" particularly on WATMM.

Again, I still like it, but it just doesn't do it for me as much anymore. In terms of pure glitchiness some of the dudes on Mego or Gabor Lazar are where I usually end up going. And I don't hear a whole load of melody on Untilted (not that AE or music in general needs melody to be good)? Apart from that really gorgeous and melancholic one near the end of LCC and the incredibly annoying one on Fermium.

Don't forget the haunting melody at the end of sublimit

or the piano type one in Augmatic disport, the organ pro raddi.or the beautiful melody halway through ipacial section

Ah right, most definitely. I should mention that the tracks on Untilted are so composite that there are even certain sections of each track that I dig more than others. Like the first half of Augmatic Disport doesn't do a lot for me, but once that tasty dubbiness comes into the mix I'm totally on board. Speaking of, I think one of my main issues is the lack of low end on the album.

why the fuck do people hate on Fermium, it kind of enrages me ngl desu. The opening section is a highlight of the album. I like the subtlety of the rhythm.

Guys how do i into Autechre?
I've listened to some of their albums already, but I feel like it's not sticking with me.
I saw them live last year and was absolutely blown away, but studio albums don't seem to do it for me yet. So far Draft 7.30, Confield and Amber stick the most, but I feel like I need to explore them more deeply... Any suggestions as to how?

lol, I'm sorry mate, there's just something about that beginning melody that's sort of...cartoony? It's just one of those things that rubs me the wrong way but I couldn't really tell you why. I like it more when it starts to get all screechy like an old-fashioned telephone being fried.

Don't take my opinions so seriously tho. I mean, I love bnc Castl so.......lol

listen to their music chronologically. That way you get a sense of their progression.

and include the EP's, they're just as good as the albums.

get acquainted with each group of albums/EP's as you go through them. don't rush it, these can take several listens to stick. Listen to them more than once.

yeah, do like said. another thing is just to spend a lot of time with each album but in different environments and mindsets/moods. chiastic slide didn't click with me until I listened to it on a late night walk. same with exai and a long car ride. quaristice is loads of fun drunk. etc etc.

if all else fails: listen to it louder.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get to listening!

yeah similar for me, chiastic slide didn't click until i just put it on while going for a long walk

i feel like ae are one of the few bands where i can raise the volume and it doesn't hurt my ears

gotta be careful not to fall into that trap though or ill go deaf by 30

my hearing is already really shit 2bh :(

something about the shimmering ambience of pule just works so much better outside imo

I just listen to one of the 5 parts every now and then.

"Chenc9" is like a shorter version of something from Untilted. Underrated

Been switching between elseq & AE_LIVE in the car and at home, and listening to older albums at work. Something about this release has given me a brand new appreciation for ae. Can't get enough right now.

>harsh noise
Noise I would understand but harsh? c'mon now

i have a feeling there aren't going to be many professional reviews of elseq, especially from "mainstream" reviewers like p4k. not that it matters., although i do wish the lads got the attention they deserve

Which album should I listen to as my first Autechre album?

Amber or Incunabula

Thanks. Not trying to be spoonfed, I literally just had no idea where to start

hey, just listened to this album the other day and thought you ae fans might like it

youtube.com/watch?v=5qX1bwAxRu4

that's always been one of my favorites.

yeah, i know what you mean. i just want them to receive proper attention for this album cos it really is fantastic. mostly i want to hear other musicians thoughts on the album though - their perspective is way more interesting than the music press imo. like lee gamble was raving about it which was cool.

No probs man. Just start with those and continue in chronological order. Don't forget to listen to the EPs too.

Seconding what said. Best to start from the beginning 2bh. The EP's are fantastic. You can skip cavity job though lol.

cavity job is ace hdu! proper hardcore

woa awesome album. half the songs have that fold4 wrap5 vibe, really cool tempo changes

yeah damn good rec...

>factmag.com/2016/05/24/autechre-elseq-review/

I'm not finding elseq impenetrable at all, it's pretty accessible, most of the tracks I loved at first listen apart from elcy6 onset which took three attempts, I'm pretty surprised to read this.

ia, but maybe we just have a higher threshold? i can see this being hard to digest for people who aren't hardcore fans.

5 > 4

damn he looks good

handsome bastard

damn rob really let himself go

>rob will never be your husband and the father to your two beautiful white children

right? that fedora doesn't suit him at all

>tfw hear everything pretty clearly and no issues with tinnitus but I frequently have to ask people to repeat themselves when they talk to me especially over the phone or in busy/louder places

Is it starting for me?

>Untilted has to be their most underrated album.
This desu. Everything in Untilted develops so slowly, and there is almost no actual repetition because each "repetition" has a slight variation. It has quality melodic content also but so much of it is buried or hidden in the rhythmic content.

my review of elseq on RYM about the record having laxative properties got taken down.

rym mods are autists that don't allow you to have fun on their serious website
but hey I mean it's their website so I don't care

the most intriguing part of Untilted is how strict and meticulous it is, how cohesive and unique the sound design is. brilliant.

meh untilted is like their 90's work
not sonically adventurous enough
not contrapuntally complex enough
not experimental enough
but if you like tri repetae then there's no reason you should dislike untilted

And the opposite of Untilted is Gantz Graf, which squishes it all into about 3 minutes.

kek thats a shame. pretty accurate 2bh

fuck me guys tri repetae is fucking good isnt it

>but if you like tri repetae then there's no reason you should dislike untilted
tri repetae is more melodic and "dance-minded" if that makes sense. it clearly draws more from their hip-hop roots. rhythms are a but more streamlined and it's more repetitive in structure, where as untilted is progressive. i can easily see why one would prefer one over the other.

I mean sure if you're closedminded
but if you're a person who values music you would see the connection and say "oh it's just a more tilted repetae I get it"

i think there's a connection with all their output, doesn't mean that they don't execute them in different ways.

>James Blake might be content furiously filing the edges off of previously reputable genres to increase his market share, but we shouldn’t worry too much – with elseq 1-5, Booth and Brown have served up a veritable edge buffet that will continue to surprise, disgust and engage listeners for the rest of the year.

fucking RIP james "singer songwriter" blake

lmao

lol fucking savage. also i wonder who that post-club poseur / ableton plugin dig was aimed at

James Blake has been an overrated hack from the moment he showed up

senpai....

his first eps were good. showed promise. then the lp came out and he embraced the p4k.

its just hip hop innit

i reckon sean's been in these threads to be quite desu with you...

any favorites from the new album?

They shouldn't put "C16 Deep Tread" on it, it's straight from ae_live.

Um c16 deep tread is lush as fuck and very refined from what's on ae_live. I'm very happy it's on it.

>Second Woman is a new collaborative project featuring Turk Dietrich of Belong and Joshua Eustis of the renowned Telefon Tel Aviv.
always wondered where have Belong gone, that's pretty different from their latest stuff, 'techre inspired for sure

eastre, pendulu casual, spaces how V, c16 deep tread, 13x0 step, 7th slip, uhhhh....
agreed, it's one of my favs. grimy as hell. plus they've put live material on albums before - both io and chenc9 were played on the untilted tour.

Some standouts so far: feed1, pendulu hv moda, latentcall, mesh cinereal

i want to know how much of this is was done in real time. is it possible that they jammed some of this stuff out while they were touring na? if they did most of the tracks separately like they usually do then their synergy is crazier than i thought.

All about foldfree casual and Oneum

Are Sean and Rob slightly overweight married men or slightly overweight single men?

>slightly overweight

what?

They've obviously got a beer belly underneath their jackets. It's a middle-aged english man requirement.

Is this a q that weighs heavily on your mind?

$33 for the mp3's.. get fucked

this is the worst review i have ever seen

check out the fragile's review

That's only like 6 dollars per album calm down

it's still feels kinda out of place for me because everything else sounds totally new.

I heard the preview track for this a while ago, will check it out thx.
October Language was among my favourite albums for a long time, the album after that was shoegazey I think but haven't really heard it.

how do they come up with track names?

pick some random consonants and add in vowels as it seems fit
examples:
leod songr
poen nilorce

maybe sprinkle some numbers/symbols in too:
sanc l9-w

in all seriousness, they probably have good reasoning behind track names but i think there's a good amount of pseudo-randomness in the way they choose them as well

Anyone have a share for this?

pendulu casual in its monotony reminds me of perlence subrange 6-36.

surprised it's not in the archive yet; I got it from slsk

mega.nz/#!qgMS0CJK!cH_9dejF9CKfcJ1DmlURqAnor7UQ4HTTb7sSC5HvEX0

>Second Woman - Second Woman (s/t) (320kbps)
>idm, glitch

ur the real mvp