How does Sup Forums consume music? I tend to listen to band/album ad nauseam and then move on and rarely return...

How does Sup Forums consume music? I tend to listen to band/album ad nauseam and then move on and rarely return. What are your listening habits?

I always listen to the same albums over and over again familia

I listen to a band ad nauseam until I end up hating their music.

98% of the time I listen to something once and never again

I seem to fall into song>album/artist>genre holes. The progression doesn't necessarily have to always be complete, as I can sometimes just stop at a song.

I think I look for musical novelty; a sonic earworm to explore something new or interesting. For me, instrumentation usually is foremost in importance, with lyricism second. Unless of course the voice(s) themselves are paramount as instruments.

Rectally

Thats what usually happens to me.

Listen to a lot of random shit, try to be openminded and give lots of things a chance. Lately I've been combing through those huge 100s of songs playlists on youtube for various genres.

have a few bands that i get really into and thats pretty much all i listen to

I listen to tunes on youtube, usually on autoplay and I just listen to random songs until something good comes up. Then I open soulseek and download that album and give it a listen.

I try to expand my taste as much as I can (but not forcibly). I have a lot of shit I want to listen (either genres, artists or albums) and after a couple of things on my "list", I usually go back to what I already know I like to see how it compares.

same

What

What the he k

Listen to lots and lots once, keep the things I like the best in my music library, keep things I like a bit on my hard drive, delete things I don't like. I relisten through my top 100 once every few months to kinda confirm they're still my favorites. That General library I keep gets combed through and anything that makes it there usually gets a few more listens over time. So probably 70/30 split new listening/relistening

i do the same but sometimes return
usually i listen to every song they have within the span of 2-4 weeks or so to see if they hold up
for instance the past month i listened to OPN 300+ times (not counting my phone or youtube to show someone)
it helps if the artists discography is massive (RDJ, ferraro)
i listen to the same songs more than i listen to new songs

>find a good song
>listen to it on repeat till it doesn't sound good
>repeat ad infinitum

>find a really good song
>too scared to listen to it because I don't want to "wear it out" so only listen on special occasions
I rarely even listen to full albums, I'm sorry Sup Forums.

I collect music the same way i collect drugs.
I categorize songs and album by what mood they allow me to inhabit. The most unique music evoke a very specific mood and i recognize that if i'm not in that exact mood, the music will seem dissonant to me. When chosen correctly, the correct harmony of mood and music is divine. I listen to these sparingly.

At a secondary tier is more derivative music that helps me transition moods, to lift me up if i'm down or to relax me. This is generally pop music, it is non challenging and easy to ignore as it subtly brings me into a desired state of mind. I do this most often before dates or job interviews, or when i'm suicidal (to snap myself out of my bullshit).

On the lowest tier is exploratory music which takes up the bulk of my time. It's like learning trivia, where i attempt to listen to every song by every band ever made. It's almost sheer intellectual exercise, drawing connections between similar melodic and harmonic patterns between disparate genres and pondering how the gestalt impact can vary so radically from such dissimilar foundations.

I have a goal (which I met last year) to listen to 500 albums this year. Here's how I do it:

1. I listen to everything as mp3s. This means I have copies of everything I listen to. I can listen on the go and I'm never bogged down by data or stream exclusives.

2. I sort everything I've listened to this year in a playlist '2016' and everything I haven't listened to yet but I've imported into my library is in a playlist 'New'.

3. When listening to a new artist, I start with their first widely-regarded good album. I use RYM for this, usually looking for at least a 3.3 average. I then listen to the rest of an artists/band's good LPs in chronological order

4. I frequent and contribute to sharethreads.

>I use RYM for this, usually looking for at least a 3.3 average.

you lost me there

Haha, I expected a response like this. It's served me extremely well to be honest. You have a better suggestion? :)

>listens to new album
>"wow this was really good, I need to listen to it again"
>never does

>listens to new album

I obsess over one band for about 2-3 years normally

I download 50 albums in a row forget listening half of them and get hooked to 5-6 albums and listen them until I get bored
Sometimes I delete albums if the first tracks are shitty

Shame on you. Nice trips

>listen to new album on spotify
>if i like it i'll download it
>listen to it again sometime later
>If I still like it I put it in a playlist of albums I really like
>Listen to this playlist whenever I don't have anything new to listen to, delete / add albums every time I do.

Rinse and repeat

I generally listen to a ton of new albums in rapid succession, keep track of how much I liked or dislikes each one, and then later at times when I can't decide what to listen to, I go back and relisten to favorites.