/daily/ - 533 Edition

We hit 533 posts last time. Can we do better this time?

Listen to your library, show off your backlog, babble about new music, tell us what you have been listening to today and what you will listen to in the following month, just let the good times flow.

topsters.net/
>resurrected, but [not] working (!)

synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel
>fifth dimension for space-time memery (aka "music") ever since plug deejay was musically aborted

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>Site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random stuff

Most importantly, remember the boys

Previously on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/theneedledrop/r5.0/2
hedon-ism.bandcamp.com/album/the-things-we-have-for-you
youtube.com/watch?v=sJZhNVbFcso
rateyourmusic.com/list/Mimrelund/_exploration__japanoise__the_hobbesian_state_of_nature/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Congrats to co with his sick dubs and final post

Holy fuck, you mad shitposting bastards. I can't keep up.

Anyway, if Karenin is around, I have a mixtape for him.

533 nevar 4get

We did it!

Worth noting that we hit image limit super fast so last ~100 posts were all text

we dem indeed

Nice dubs

we did it for the boyz

Finally, congrats to ruggles (formerly known as Tripfriend ots) on the great 500 get

This is like our third or fouth thread this day? Jesus.

you did it for the boys

>fouth
I'm a dum

>Liturgy - The Ark Work
Memes aside, the album is actually very nice. I'm not used to those guitars and drums since i don't listen to that much Black metal. And when you get used to the fucking trumpets it's actually a very nice album. But still, i'm not huge into metal, so while i found it to be good, i still have some Grips with it.
7/10

>Memes aside, the album is actually very nice.

>memes aside
nice dubs tho

Since I am a rockist snob, I really don't have much to say.
16 down, 47 to go.

The God Machine- Scenes from the Second Storey- 7/10- Pretty good post-metal album.I first heard of them after seeing an old ad which had them billed with MBV and Mercury Rev. Definitely a great trio to see live. Some tracks weren't too memorable, but this could be a grower.

John Fahey- The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death- 8/10- Pretty great album. Cool guitar playing and songs. This was my first time listening to Fahey and I wasn't disappointed. I just got his first album and I hope to get ahold of his Christmas album in time for the holidays.

radical.

Flood Next???

get christmas volume 2 if you can
it's much better than the first and the christmas fantasy on the b side is gorgeous.

christmas soli ain't bad 2

everytime I see someone mention flood I always get my hopes up they are talking about TMBG

while I LOVE Flood (and those trips my dude) I've always preferred Lincoln. I got my copies of both from a German seller on discogs, so I can't really read the inserts, but still rad as heck.

oh I definitely prefer Lincoln too
some of the best lyrics they ever had came off that album.

Cage and Aquarium is such a brilliant parody
Where Your Eyes Don't Go: "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders
What the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of"
The World's Address is some of the most clever word play in any song I've heard
And They'll Need a Crane is surprisingly dark and emotional

idk how Ana Ng is literally the most catchy song ever but I'll be damned if it isn't.

Last time I listened to that album, I felt a lot more than I thought I would since usually it's fun as hell.

Mr. Me, Kiss Me Son of God, I've Got a Match, and yeah, They'll Need a Crane kinda got to me. Awesome shit.

Also found out that it's one of Fantano's 60 5s on RYM so make what you will of that rateyourmusic.com/collection/theneedledrop/r5.0/2

yeah I know fantanny has it in his top albums

I liked it first though damnit!

also interesting choices for your favs, aside from Son of God those other songs don't strike me as much as a lot of the others on the album.

If anyone listens to my band's new album they can have it for free. It's a free download anyway, but let's pretend its a gift for you :^)

It's expeirmental music with influences such as This Heat and GSYBE. I'd love to hear what you thought even if you don't like it. Thansk
hedon-ism.bandcamp.com/album/the-things-we-have-for-you

pls guys
I was almost Stockholm-syndrom'd into liking 80s flavoured synths but now you had to bring in guest singers.
And that's a shame it's taking the album down in flames, because it was actualy neat to hear the guys starting to use synthetic percussions and mix in some latin influences.

>Memes aside
>Very nice

Might as well do what I did today (not a lot) since this morning:

>Tom Waits - Small Change
Best thing I've heard here yet. One of his best as far as I'm concerned. Damn near perfect. It's the perfect blend of his fucking weird and vulgar ass and his extremely feely. The Piano Has Been Drinking was heavy as fuck while Pasties and a G-String made me laugh my ass off. Good shit.

>Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
Didn't actually love this as much as I remembered. It's damn good, sure, but listeneing to it now only 7 of the tracks are "amazing songwriting" and the other three are whatever.

>Voivod - Nothingface
Prog metal but not puke-worthy. Shit djents alright sometimes, but I just wasn't feeling the science-fiction atmosphere really. I get tired of these grandiose worlds these prog albums try to build up that lead nowhere. The building sequences in "Into My Hypercube" and "Missing Sequences" were great though.

>Vangelis - Spiral
First listen I thought this kicked ass, but second listen I realized I only really loved a couple parts of a few songs (the first and fourth, mainly). I like this guy's soundtrack works, so I won't give up on his music, but I was kinda disappointing retrying this.

>Tom Waits - Foreign Affairs
Pretty weak in comparison to his last album. Some alright instrumentals, but nothing fantastic. The songwriting in general is kinda lackluster, actually.

>Vampire Rodents - Lullaby Land
This is what I imagine sporkspammers imagine sporkcore to be like. What a terrible world it must be for them.

I've been up for 25 hours now so it's time for rest now.

Night /daily/ ;3

What the fuck, this isn't fusion jazz, why am I even listening to this?
Anyway.
If I had to pick only one word to describe this album, that would be clumsy. something here is not going right, and that is either in the composition or the performance.
What we have here is bst described as a mess. A mess of ideas and a mess of sounds. Many things keep intertwining into each other with little rhyme or reason, we have different elements standing next to each other without ever really interacting. the variety of sounds and textures brought to the table amounts to nothing and doesn't seem to hae any purpose other than being here.
With the composition here being a juxtaposition of elements rather than the creation of a whole or of a movement, there is very little for the listener to hold onto. the lack of appearant structure or purpose for any of the things going on leaves the impression of listening to a couple musicians warming their respective instruments up before starting to actually play rather than hearing something that is meant to be heard. The unfortunate recording quality does not help, but that is not the question.
there is very little in there for the listener to hold onto. The only discernable movement appears towards the end of the second groupment of tracks, White Bird Lake, and at this point we have been served about 20 minutes of nothing that resulted in a climax as breathtaking as the feast of the local village, which it oddly sounded quite similar to.
I am not sure if this is plain self-indulgence or if I simply missed the concept but this whole thing does not sound like it is anywhere near a finished project.
Colour me unimpressed. And uninteressed.

which three songs do you think are "whatever" on songs of lenny cohbro?

Blue Valentine has some of Tom's best material on it so I hope you like it.

Nothing in his career rivals stuff like Romeo Is Bleeding and Red Shoes by the Drugstore imo.

>Radiohead – The Bends

Amidst all of the Britpop explosion, Radiohead released something a bit different. They went more into Jeff Buckley, R.E.M. and Neil Young on The Bends, taking stuff written before (High and Dry, Nice Dream), during (The Bendz) and after (pretty much the rest) the Pablo Honey sessions and throwing it all on the record.

Planet Telex is a fantastic opener with Jonny playing the opening piano chords through a Demeter Tremulator. The chords sound immense right before the B-chord verse tears through with the open guitar riff. Thom delivers his vocals about everything being broken while drunk on the studio floor. I really like his “Everything is broken” on the last chorus. Lots of passion and vocal strength.

The title track appears right after and I love it. The D-chord simultaneously played by Jonny, Thom and Ed right as the marching band sample ends amplifies me. This song sounds very upbeat, but the lyrics dabble are in bleak themes of alienation and loneliness. That is especially noticeable in the “I wanna live, breathe. I wanna be a part of the human race” bit. I love singing along to this one.

High and Dry basically kickstarted Coldplay as band. It’s a song Thom wrote back in school and it is a bit too cheesy in my opinion. What I do like about the track is Jonny’s coin playing. I believe this is the first instance of him playing his telecaster with that and it was a major inspiration for me as a musician. Props to you Jonny.

Fake Plastic Trees is a sweet ballad with some consumerism imagery. Everything is superficial according to Thom, starting from plants and ending with girls after plastic surgeries. This track is a great pop tune that used to be twice as exciting because of Jonny’s rough guitar playing during the climax of the track. I did like the video too.

Bones bores me. I dig the “I used to fly like Peter Pan” line but the rest is sort of meh.

(Nice Dream) sounds really good on a 12-string. The middle section is pretty badass. Not a big fan of the lyrics, but Thom’s vocals fit well with the acoustic sections so I cannot complain. Ed brings in some space-y atmospheric guitar on it too, so that is pleasant.

Just is great. This is a very important track for me. Learning Jonny’s parts on this tracks was a milestone I put out for myself when I was just getting started with my guitar. I cannot express how happy I was when I nailed it with my shitty Chinese Tele Plus and the whammy. It was pure happiness. The song itself was a competition between Jonny and Thom on who could stuff the most chords into a track, which is why it ends up to be a sort of mess. It is a nice one though and it really shines during the live performances. Look up the Saitama 2009 performance when you have a chance. I really like that one.

My Iron Lung is another great song, I spoke about it briefly in the MIL EP review.

Bulletproof is a neat song, especially with all the guitar work from Ed to create these haunting landscapes that will play a larger part on OKC, but I still find it a bit boring after all those years. It doesn’t bring anything exciting outside of that.

Black Star is one of my favorites on this album, even though it has the fade-in opening. I hate that shit. The lyrics make me think of someone leaving a relationship with a mentally unstable person. It is a sad track with a bad aftertaste of melancholia in it, but I still really like Thom’s delivery and the chord progression. And yes, this is another track I really enjoy playing on guitar. I feel like I might have a certain bias towards some of these tracks because of that, but who cares?

Is the world's biggest radiohead fan just now getting to the Bends or this this review just old?

Sulk is underrated. Thom’s vocals on the final chorus are powerful. It is a bleak track with occasional moments of burst and features some very mellow lyrics. I think the chord progression on this isn’t that exciting but the performance is solid.

The album is closed off by Street Spirit (Fade Out). First of all, good job on the riff Ed. The countermelody that Jonny plays on his guitar during the second verse works perfectly with it too. Secondly, this track is amazing. It sounds like something truly bleak is surrounding you and there is no way to hide from it, except for taking Thom’s final lyric advice. Immerse yourself in love. A giant closer this one.

Good record. A very solid reply to their first dud with some good songwriting popping up here and there. Still not as good as what was about to happen next.

7+/10

work is slow today, so I'm typing shitty reviews for Radiohead albums. I remember every single note, so it's pretty easy and relaxing in a way.

Why do I get the feeling Patrick Bateman wrote this? I agree, user The Bends is great, let's move on to newer music.

That's some avant reviewing there, my pal
I dig it

I will, but I can't listen to anything new right now.
There was someone asking me why I like Radiohead so much recently, so I hope these notes will clear some things up.
ty

>Radiohead – OK Computer

The might of this album could be recognized during the US tour Radiohead had supporting Alanis Morissette. They played early versions of Paranoid Android, Karma Police, Climbing Up The Walls and No Surprises if I am not mistaken. Now these were brilliant, especially Paranoid Android. Check out some live performances on YT when you get the chance, especially the Mansfield one from 1996.

Anyway, OK Computer. Many consider it to be the peak of rock music, others think it is overrated as fuck. In my opinion, with OKC Radiohead started working on the formula of taking all their less digestible influences (Penderecki, Messiaen, Miles Davis and whatever else Thom listened to when he was stoned) and making them sound radio-friendly. It doesn’t show on here as much as it does on Kid A/Amnesiac, but this is where it begins.

Airbag opens up with Jonny’s Tele and string arrangements in the back, The drums on this are DJ Shadow influenced from what I remember, but I think the coolest part about this track are Colin’s basslines. Very groovy. Thom sings about surviving car crashes based off some phrases found in a newspaper clippings he had. The track reaches certain moments of greatness when Jonny uses his Small Stone for the solo, as well as the very jumbled up guitar rifts during the drumless episodes.

Tum-tum-tum-tum. Paranoid Android starts. A song about Thom’s frustration during a certain bar incident, Paranoid Android is probably the centerpiece of the album. Slightly different from what was presented during the tour (closing section borrows from the second and not the first part, no organ, no “hallelujah” lyric either), Radiohead take on that Happiness Is A Warm Gun formula by making a “progressive rock” track. Key highlights are the heavy usage of Small Stone, Thom’s “YOU DON’T REMEMBER!” part and the first appearance of the Macintosh voice program on this album. Sounds pretty great live as well.

Subterranean Homesick Alien is fantastic. Jonny’s Starcaster plugged into the RE-201 sounds brilliant. Thom’s lyrics about “dreaming of being abducted because everyone I know around me sucks” obviously fit in well. I think this track works better with the piano Thom brought in during the 2012 tour, but whatever. It is a great track.

Exit Music (For A Film) was made for a Romeo+Juliet soundtrack but wasn’t included on the soundtrack release, because of how fucking good it is. The fuzz bass during the crescendo, Thom’s vocal performance, the bizarre loops playing in the background during the close that sound like airplane recordings – everything is wonderful. During the live performances it even gets more interesting with all the Ed/Jonny reverberations.

Let Down is a track I have a weird relationship with. On one hand I used to adore it so much because of the “ONE DAAAAAAAAY” bit and the closing bloops, but now I feel like it is one of the weaker tracks with some crap lyrics. Some of the vocals on here still give me chills, but it lost a lot of charm after wearing it out for so long.

Karma Police is a Beatles rip-off that managed to make on of McCartney’s less remarkable songs into a great pop track. I like the original lyric where the girl “sneers at me as if she owns the world” instead of the “hitler hairdo” line. Simpler is better in this case. Ed does some great guitar work on the closing section of the track, where it feels like the guitar feedback turns itself inside out.

Fitter Happier has a devastatingly sad piano tune playing in the back which I find to be more interesting than the Macintosh drivel. A transitional track that could have been utilized in a more interesting way in my opinion, but it definitely fits the vibe of the album, so I don’t really mind it.

Climbing Up The Walls is the best track on this album without question. The sonoristic strings section, Thom’s guttural scream, the small minor feedback cuts from Ed’s Stratocaster, Colin playing the bass synth and much much more. Even Thom’s lyrics about his experience of working in a madhouse are pretty great. The live performances of this are fucking ace too.

No Surprises owes most of its charm to the glockenspiel. Makes the whole track sound calmer than it actually is with all the imagery. It was a good idea to take out the original lyrics about menstruation and replace them with a utopic tractate of the upcoming life in the 21st century. Yes, I think that was definitely important. The video for this was especially torturous for Thom. Watch Meeting People Is Easy for the interesting “making of” section.

Lucky was an REM-inspired track that Stipe even performed on one occasion. Some Pink Floyd vibes on this one imo, with the guitar solos especially. I always found the “It’s gonna be a gloooooorious day” section very uplifting. It is very simple, but the songwriting makes it an easily-revisitable track.

The Tourist closes off the album and I think it is one of the more underrated tracks on here.
Maybe it is because I can relate to it with all the travelling I constantly have experienced and seeing people running around airports reminds me of this track. Jonny wrote this and some of the live performances of this track are really good. I wish they played it live more often. The final “ding!” is a funny way to close the album and is especially suitable if your playlist is followed by Kid A.

I think it is a very solid rock album with great (and occasionally just good) songwriting. I think it didn’t deserve all the hype it got though. Kid A is a much more hype-worthy album but I’ll speak about that in the next """review""".

8/10

What the fuck are all these words

I'm listening to this right now
That good enough?

>Esperanza Spalding - Emily's D+Evolution

The album has some of the corniest, wompingest, honkingest pancake flopping around on a rollercoaster bass lines I've ever heard. It's like there's a really cool art/pop/soul album going on and then Johnny McDickfingers pulled out his instrument and just went bass-farting all over.

When the bass is more subtle and compliments the music, such as Unconditional Love or Rest In Pleasure, are solid.

And then there's shit like Judas where the bass sounds like literally the Seinfeld theme and I just can't do it. This track is beautiful outside of the bass, though, in all fairness. If it was toned down, perhaps to a walking or more harmonic role, it would have been great.

A valiant effort. Too much flourish can ruin a great work, however, and that's what we see.

Eh. 6/10. Good. Certainly unconventional ideas, but I don't think they were executed greatly.

Basically, it tries to be funk but the rhythms are so complex you can't groove for even one second. A great paradox of music. Painful. Complex rhythms are nice, funk is nice, but together it's like delicious egg salad on a sunny day & a cat. One ruins the other. But I'm keeping this in my library. It's damned interesting, if a bit unsuccessful.

Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven next!

Potential for the score to go up to 7 if I can get over pedantry.

Good morning nerds
just made some poached eggs
they turned out quite nice

Those are nice poached eggs.

thank you torts
sorry i called you a nerd

>sorry i called you a nerd
: ) Apology accepted.

>unbanned after almost 2 days

Wew lad this is the most fucked thread on mu

Nice going. I never tried making poached eggs. It looks difficult, though.

Morning, /daily/! Been having some busy days lately, which is why I have not posted. I missed you guys. How is life and what are you listening to?

Today, I am going to read up on Rosseau and listening to Cardiac Strain by Aube to get rolling on my Japanoise chart again.

And it's the most /dead/ one

we /sleepy/ senpai

It's 10:30 get up you nerds

>literally post "How is life and what are you listening to?"
>"thread is /dead/" instead of partaking

Come on, guys, you are better than this.

whats some sleepycore friendo
its raining here and i need something comfy

But im here to play nice!

Dreamend - I Ate Myself Bite by Bite
Sigur Ros - (the album with the running naked guys)
Penguin Cafè Orchestra - Union Cafe

that's because life is awful and we are all sitting in dead silence and contemplating ending it all

Life is shit thanks

Listening to TNT right now, very comfy and enjoyable :)

Could you post what have you listened already from your chart please?

>How is life
Stranger, harder to understand yet full of more clarity every day.

>and what are you listening to?
youtube.com/watch?v=sJZhNVbFcso

... what?

Come on, life is not shit, stop feeling so sorry for yourselves. I believe in you! I know you can do whatever it is you want to do.

It is easier to check the RYM list I made.
rateyourmusic.com/list/Mimrelund/_exploration__japanoise__the_hobbesian_state_of_nature/

That is very insightful. Remember that every person you meet has as much a complex understanding of their own life that you do.

Life is difficult decisions atm.
Not listening to anything but maybe some jazz in a minute!

Sigur Ros it is, been a while since I listened to them

How's the droning going? Watched anything good recently?

>Remember that every person you meet has as much a complex understanding of their own life that you do.
:'^) I mean I tortsally doubt that but whatever you say.

Life is pretty terrible, and on its way to get worse.
But hopefuly there is fusion jazz and dub music to ease a bit of the pain.

Wait, didn't I suggest you Gensho? Or wasn't it you?

It is true, though. Just not very easy to wrap your head around. People only define people with easy definitions and box-placing, never themselves.

Jazz fusion and dub sounds like a good cocktail for a brighter view on life. I am sure it will get better for you.

Probably? I do not know.

I bet you will end up making the right decision for you.

What are you listening to daily? Drinking coffee and watching the rain, comfy af at the moment. Will send a bunch of emails and leave for the day in a couple of hours.

Also who /lit/ here and what are you reading? I'm reading some Dostoevsky

Nevermind, I didn't see it in the list, my bad.

>what are you reading?
1984 by Orwell in original language :)

I am listening to Vol. 4 by Black Sabbath. I continue to be unimpressed, even though I adored this band in my teenage years, ten years ago.

Sadly, I do not have time for fiction /lit/, only non-fiction /lit/. Still captivated by Feyerabend, which has lead me to read Tractatus Logicus-Philosophicus by Wittgenstein. It is a fascinating book. I also have "Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy" by Russell on the shelf.

For today though, it is studying up on Rosseau, the socialist bastard.

>It is true, though. Just not very easy to wrap your head around.
Oh it's easy to wrap my head around. I watch people struggling to get ideas through the cracks of their failing language every day.

I mean, I doubt what you said because people actively and, on occasion, vehemently oppose discussing real topics relating to them. When brought up, they' often seem surprised by their own ideas.

People are weird that way.

>People only define people with easy definitions and box-placing, never themselves.
That's just how things work. Judgments are like reference cards for the mind. Nobody ever builds complete pictures of others, or themselves, because that would take more effort than the mind really could ever handle. I mean, if you want to talk about that stuff. People are weird.

hey guys, what's up?

>1984 by Orwell in original language :)
im so sorry

>rain
Will summer ever come to sweden? Im enjoying the hot weather here.

Hey user! Listening to Soul's True Love, almost 1 hour in.

Was Sup Forums down just for me?

Morning /blog/

Yesterday we played paintball and it was fun as fuck. However since this is me I need to rant about something. Two of the people I played with are nurses, and for some reason (they're fat) they are on a diet called "Clean 9". I looked it up and it's some hippie bullshit of course like all fad diets. They're supposed to eat a bunch of aloe vera gel and shit and other stuff that really does nothing at all for weight loss. Also it's a "detox". Shouldn't nurses know this kind of fucking stuff is quackery at the worst level? This upsets me.

Also I hung out with someone this weekend and found out they're a devout Christian and puts ketchup on frozen pizza and pirogs. What the fuck?

Try harder please

That sounds disgusting . Did you try explaining them why it does nothing for them?

Haven't been able to watch sth these last two weeks but will maybe watch Festen tonight!

I hope so :)

I'm reading AO Scott - Better Living Through Criticism
Which is kind of a defense of criticism, he's a film critic at the New York Times

What Dostoevsky are you reading?

herb ur anime desu
that devout chirstian tho

lol wanker

ketchup on pizza is ridiculous

I've been sporadically reading 100 years of solitude by Gabriel García Marqués. Boy i love it. Also listening to Kanzler rec

Nah, I know them too well to be a dick to them, and I know them too little to be a real dick to them.

Yeah that's really the whackiest part. She's also a voter of the Swedish Democrats, a right wing extremist party.

I don't think you should hang out with her anymore.

Well apart from the fact that we have vastly different political ideologies, life philosophies and she puts ketchup on her pizza, we get along really quite well.

why are swedes so fucking weird and obnoxious?

because they r not human

Wow, rude. I'm sorry.

GREAT book

hela

It's even better when you are actually latin American. Also i just can't imagine someone reading this in English, would be súper weird

not you hampus

well....sometimes you...

I'm basing all of this on the few swedish youtubers I've seen and the one swedish guy I've come in contact with on an Auschwitz tour who kept talking about how "fucking hilarious" it would be to go rent a Ferrari for one day then return it. And how "retarded" everything is.

don't worry i didn't read it in english
though i do think i read somewhere that garcia approved of the translation

In his defense, that does sound extremely hilarious. Imagine just renting a Ferrari and returning it the next day hahahaha. I'm in tears just thinking about it.

hahaha :-)

These are both seriously good posts. You can both be very proud of yourselves.

thanks rudi, you're a real friend!
i also wanted to add that your post is quite good aswell :)

Who the fuck uses the term spaceman in the first place?

that account was p funny in the beginning, but it's just rehashing the same joke every day now.

yesterday i bought this pink-ass shirt and got it signed

idiots

Allergies are killing me behind face, staying home from work :(