What went right?

An effort of rock musicians to approriate themselves to modern pop and rnb styling

Do I wanna know is catchy but besides that not much

nothing, it's a shitty pop album

it is THE literal definition of average indie rock

nothing less

nothing more

first two albums are the best though

poor man's black rebel motorcycle club

Anthony Fantano gave it a 3 so we have to hate it now.

>first two albums are the best though
Fucking this, couldn't agree more

Decided to give this another listen to the other day, and I've concluded that it's still more boring than ever.

nothing, can't stand it

R U Mine?, Do I Wanna Know, and Why You Only Call Me When You're High all sound fucking identical. The rest of the tracks are bland and don't stand out at all

I can enjoy simple music, but the riffs could not me any more bare-bones if they tried.

ZERO SMILES FOR ME ON THIS THING

you mean first three right?
because humbug is IMO their best album

humbug is fucking subpar please get the hell out

alex's solo album for submarine is leagues better than that even

First two tracks are good but they weren't even meant for this album

great branding, solid record

the recording and production are out the fucking window on this one senpai, the non hipster fans just fed off of us not liking it

>good branding
>good audio engineering
>edgy cool HD music videos
>band changed their style to be cool
>songs are melody driven with slower, groovier basslines
>songs are about drugs and casual sex in a way that modern teens can relate

all timed well
this was their plan all along

Catchy album, that appeals to a wide audience. I like it very much, but I can see that their earlier fans can dislike it. To me it was the album I started with and then moved to their first two albums, so I wasn't disappointed by it.

And it is still less boring than Car Seat Headrest.

guys, guys, guys

It's all trash

/thread

>finding any opportunity to bash Toledo even when it's not relevant to the thread
You, I like

Great album, their second best behind Humbug imo, I Want It All is a piece of shit though, should have replaced that with the Stop the World... B-side

It's catchy, and I like the midnight vibes I get from it. When people say that it's music made for chicks, I think "yeah of course it is". The whole point of the album is to be a teenager's sex music. That's what the whole image change is about, and I'd say they succeeded. It's the Hamburger Helper of looking cool and picking up girls, you can slap on a leather jacket, some shades and play AM, and off you go. The dude knows it, the girl knows it, and yet it works.

I am absolutely okay with that, really. Other than that, Humbug is still my favorite album of their's, though.

Their first album gives me so much nostalgia, second ones alright but this is the very definition of bland and average