ITT: Your album of the decade so far

ITT: Your album of the decade so far

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh5gCb1th90
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

personally this was my least favorite out of all of Tim's albums this decade. still great tho

the addition of more edm to their style was an absolute game changer for me

this

this

Is this or Full of Hell & Merzbow

Fantanodrones go back to l3ddit
acceptable

Right? People can say what they will but this is one of the best albums of our generation

>has the gall to call others a drone
>posts avant teen shit

>that pile of avant-edgy-teen-core anything but a forgettable piece of shit is being posted most likely because the poster wants to be a unique special snowflake
hahaha

Explain how Bish Bosch is bad and Virgins, TBK, and/or TMS are better.

respectable, but I still love Ravedeath much more.
this is a great album.

Epizootics! alone is better than any of those three albums, far more interesting formal, harmonic, conceptual ideas at play.

poison season is better

Oh how typical.

Fantanodrones can't even explain why music is better than other music

Kindly kill yourselves or grow up, since none of you are over 18

Bish Bosch has nowhere near the amount of depth that TBK has in its layers of stuff going on nor is it as visceral as TBK or TMS. Not to mention its approach to post-modernism is outdated as fuck. The metal/industrial sounding stuff sounds very weak compared to artists that actually do that shit. A lot of the sections despite having a cool gimmick or sound are ultimately as simple as anything on the radio. So despite being an experimental avant-garde album it really doesn't challenge the listener outside the "oh look it's just Lulu with a better presentation" surface level feel of it.

Compared to Virgins which takes this kinda cool approach to Hecker's drone ambient with an amount of melodic and rhythmic variance that isn't common in any form of drone, or

TMS, which sets a new bar for hip hop music with the approach to electronic production and focusing more purely on the rhythmic aspects vocally and percussion wise, or

TBK, which took early Swans and marred it perfectly with what has come from post-rock, which results in music that's both visceral (old Swans heaviness) and cerebral (layers of sophisticated instrumentation seriously none of the albums posted so far have as many things happen at the same time as the big moments on this album do.),

Bish Bosch is just another weaker attempt at The Residents or Frank Zappa.

God I am so sick of this post-modern shit. It's not that new anymore we have been doing this shit since the 60s.

>which takes this kinda cool approach to Hecker's drone ambient with an amount of melodic and rhythmic variance that isn't common in any form of drone
>hey it has some kind of pitches moving, we'll call that "melodic and rhythmic variance"
fuck off with that
>TMS, which sets a new bar for hip hop music
stopped reading there
>and cerebral (layers of sophisticated instrumentation seriously none of the albums posted so far have as many things happen at the same time as the big moments on this album do.),
Do you know how many songs on TBK are in the key of D?
Or hell, just have the D-Eb progression?
TBK isn't complex, there's nothing complex or thoughtful in the music. It's literally just Gira playing in the easiest guitar key while everyone else makes bullshit noise. There's no talent or artistry in it. At least when it was Filth and Cop that was a fresh idea, having an unstructured complement to Branca's more symphonic and "erudite" written music. Now it's just total hack material.
Have you listened to Glowing Man? They're stopping because they're out of ideas and are going by the numbers now.
>Bish Bosch is just another weaker attempt at The Residents or Frank Zappa.
Neither of those artists had nearly the comprehension of classical theory and form that Scott Walker has. Bish Bosch's songs rely on clear formal developments in expanded developmental ternary forms, which reinforce the stories of the lyrics. All of this sophisticated music is ringed with Walker's voice at last perfectly at home: no longer do we have the awkward middle-ground of his 60's pop work and transitional 80's/90's work, we now have a voice that does cabaret, opera, bossa, all styles and fills them with confidence and panache.

I'm sick of these teenagers like you who don't know shit about music pretending like you do.

>stopped reading right there
>keeps reading

Stopped reading the section on TMS. This isn't hard to understand.

>Bish Bosch's songs rely on clear formal developments in expanded developmental ternary forms

>inb4 not a single reply

Explain what is wrong about what I said

I'll reply.
Nice album that I think is kinda overrated on here
Definitely better than the Fantano picks tho

I'll have to second this.

Thanks user. I never get to talk about TNP with anyone and while I can see that they aren't the
GOAT, they do hold a very special place in my heart. You've set my soul free.

>fuck off with that
>stopped reading there
>I have no clue how to talk back about these so I'll pretend to act like a douchebag elitist

>Do you know how many songs on TBK are in the key of D?
Not many desu. You do know once you get towards rock theory gets thrown out the window, right?

>Or hell, just have the D-Eb progression?
You ask this right after saying that all his songs are in D? Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

>TBK isn't complex, there's nothing complex or thoughtful in the music.
Already gave you the examples for this.

>It's literally just Gira playing in the easiest guitar key
It's not C, G, or E minor.

>Neither of those artists had nearly the comprehension of classical theory and form that Scott Walker has.
But they do. They just chose not to rehash that stuff and do more interesting approaches for their time.

>Bish Bosch's songs rely on clear formal developments in expanded developmental ternary forms, which reinforce the stories of the lyrics.
Oh because that's so fucking new, right? Next thing you're going to tell me that verse-chorus-verse is revolutionary, too. Ternary forms only makes it more outdated considering it's a post-modernist work. Not to mention this doesn't make it sophisticated nor anything special either. Cheesy ass basic prog bands can do this, too. Scott's got a nice voice, but that doesn't discount how simple the music he made on Bish Bosch really is.

yeah they definitely fill a niche at least, there's not any other really nice orchestral indie pop/rock/good music

>I have no clue how to talk back about these so I'll pretend to act like a douchebag elitist
>douchebag elitist
No, I just know more than you. You seriously think Death Grips are setting a new bar? LMAO
>Not many desu.
Half the tracklist.
>Do you have any idea what you're talking about?
You don't, which is why you said "Not many"
>Already gave you the examples for this.
Actually you gave no examples, you just said "CEREBRAL DUDE" and I told you specifically, musically how it isn't.
>But they do.
Show me a classically inspired song by The Residents, or a harmonically/contrapuntally complex song by Zappa. You literally can't.
>Oh because that's so fucking new, right?
It's better than your Fantanocore, 18 year old.
>Ternary forms only makes it more outdated considering it's a post-modernist work.
Yeah Berio was behind his time huh, 18 year old?
In fact ternary form is appropriate since postmodernism is about recontextualizing older music and styles.
>Cheesy ass basic prog bands can do this
They fail consistently.
>but that doesn't discount how simple the music he made on Bish Bosch really is.
You like Tim Hecker, Death Grips, and Swans, and are calling Bish Bosch simple.

You know NOTHING OF MUSIC THEORY

Sleep Cycle. I'd give a cooler answer if I weren't going to be honest. I honestly enjoy it more than any other album I've heard this decade. Somehow, when I first heard it, I knew it was probably going to get a bandcamp release only, because it tends to be my favorite albums that get the weirdest releases. It definitely deserves a physical release more than Painting With, but things like this aren't really determined by quality.

Actually I wonder why no one capitalized on that. There needs to be atleast a couple of bands emulating that sound that I am not
aware of. Coil's apes of neaples has some similaritys aswell as some of Robert Wyatts and Current 93s work but those all proceed TNP.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh5gCb1th90

No, I asked for a Zappa song that's harmonically/contrapuntally complex.

>I'm sick of these teenagers like you who don't know shit about music pretending like you do
Oh, like you're doing right now?
>Huh?
HUH HUH HUH? Hahahaha

>No, I just know more than you. You seriously think Death Grips are setting a new bar? LMAO
But I already explained why I think they are setting one. All you have given is loliknowmorefaggot

>Half the tracklist.
Moving goalposts. Get better at talking about music.

>You don't, which is why you said "Not many"
> Everything's key of D
>D to Eb progression

>Actually you gave no examples, you just said "CEREBRAL DUDE" and I told you specifically, musically how it isn't.
I pointed out what are usually climax moments in the album where multiple things are happening at once; if you actually listened to the damn album you would know exactly what I am talking about.

>Show me a classically inspired song by The Residents, or a harmonically/contrapuntally complex song by Zappa. You literally can't.
Most of The Residents' sound collage stuff is inspired by classical music. So it Zappa's stuff, too. You keep thinking classical music ended in the 1900s with this type of comments. Both guys did a bunch of sound collage/musique concrete style stuff.

As for contrapuntal stuff in Zappa, it was in Bongo Fury (when he started doing more typical prog stuff instead of the more innovative stuff he was doing before.)

>It's better than your Fantanocore, 18 year old.
Fantastic rebuttal there!

>In fact ternary form is appropriate since postmodernism is about recontextualizing older music and styles.
Except Scott did nothing like that though he used it exactly the way it's been used for centuries.

>You like Tim Hecker, Death Grips, and Swans, and are calling Bish Bosch simple.
Not big on Hecker and DG desu, but they have something they are offering that makes them more interesting despite being simple. Bish Bosch tries to be complex but has nothing to make it complex outside 'look I used a weird bell sound here while it still plays a simple ass pattern with very little backing it up in terms of arrangements!"

Knowing baby tier music theory doesn't make you superior

>But I already explained why I think they are setting one.
Oh right because no one in hip hop previously had very rhythmic music
right of course kid
ignore the 90's and well no just ignore the past 30 years of hip hop
>Moving goalposts.
WHAT THAT'S NOT MOVING THE GOALPOSTS AT ALL YOU FUCKING TEENAGER
>if you actually listened to the damn album you would know exactly what I am talking about.
I've listened to it, so I know how harmonically/contrapuntally basic and simple it is.
>Most of The Residents' sound collage stuff is inspired by classical music.
No example.
>So it Zappa's stuff, too.
No example.
>As for contrapuntal stuff in Zappa, it was in Bongo Fury
No, I asked for a song. Give me a song.
>Fantastic rebuttal there!
Yeah it is: I'm not arguing that it's better than Pet Sounds, I'm just saying it's among the best I've heard this decade. And it's definitely better than your basic critic fodder.
>Except Scott did nothing like that
Yeah combining wildly different musical styles with classical sonata form is definitely not postmodern! That's not recontextualizing an older style!
>Bish Bosch tries to be complex but has nothing to make it complex outside
of the dissonant and complex music, formal developments in each song, and creative conceptual ideas at play in each.
>Knowing baby tier music theory doesn't make you superior
Who is Berio, and why did I reference him in regard to Postmodernism? You never addressed that, teenager.

>Oh right because no one in hip hop previously had very rhythmic music
>right of course kid
>ignore the 90's and well no just ignore the past 30 years of hip hop
Having an MC who's purely another deliverer of rhythmic/percussive music is different. Very different. MC's in dub/early hip hop were hype men type people, then MCing became it's own thing with rapping. DG's MC goes even further to remove the lyrical thing and mostly focus on the delivery.

>WHAT THAT'S NOT MOVING THE GOALPOSTS AT ALL YOU FUCKING TEENAGER
>Everything's in D
>Half the tracklist's in D
Fuck off

>I've listened to it, so I know how harmonically/contrapuntally basic and simple it is.
It's objectively a giant harmonic beast though. Whether you like TBK or not doesn't factor into 7-8 instruments playing different things contributing to the same harmonic beast.

>No example.
>No example.
>I have zero knowledge of music spoonfeed me please

>Gimme song
>Spoonfeed me even more

>Yeah combining wildly different musical styles with classical sonata form is definitely not postmodern! That's not recontextualizing an older style!
Still used the exact same way as before. Instruments don't change that. A general philosophy towards approaching music changes that.

>basic critic fodder
Bish Bosch fits that far more than TBK does with its couple layers of depth at most to the far more layers TBK has.

>of the dissonant and complex music
>Dissonance=complex
>It's complex because I said so!

>formal developments in each song
>thinks that's complex when every baby ass pop song has it, too

>creative conceptual ideas
>buzzword buzzword buzzword look at how superior I am

>Who is Berio, and why did I reference him in regard to Postmodernism? You never addressed that, teenager.
That has nothing to do with what we are discussing. Though he does make for good ammunition that he did what Scott was somewhat trying to do decades before Scott and was actually a good thing to come from post modernism.

What is this album supposed to make me feel? Ravedeath I can see being about entropy both in the music world and in society at large. This just seems like Tim was trying too hard to be vague and mysterious

you do realise Fantano absolutely loves Bish Bosh right?

This desu

MBDTF or Lemonade, haven't decided yet cuz the latter came out so recently.

I'm having a hard time picking between Opus Eponymous, Infestissumam, and Meliora.

>DG's MC goes even further to remove the lyrical thing and mostly focus on the delivery.
Yeah because cLOUDEAD isn't ancient now
When did I say "everything's in D?"
It's not harmony, it's just fucking around on an instrument not producing any tones. That's just childish wank.
I'm seeing if you understand what you were claiming about those artists and it seems you don't given your unwillingness to specifically provide an example.
You clearly don't understand Berio nor his music so you should know that just because he used sonata form and tonal scales in his Sinfonia does not weaken the work, it strengthens it conceptually

You lack any specific musical arguments.

You have refused to elaborate any of your musical arguments.

You have been unable to provide any understanding of any of the topics you've chosen to discuss.

And lastly, you like a derivative Fantanocore album.

Because you're 18, and everyone knows it.

fuck off you newfag newtrip, it wasnt anywhere near his AOTY

the fact that you know where it placed on his year end list is embarrassing for you

The fact that you watch and enjoy Fantano's videos, but pretend not to to look cool on an Ethiopian well-digging forum is embarassing for you.

lmao ive been lurking for like 5 years mate

Yus it's good

>Yeah because cLOUDEAD isn't ancient now
This makes no sense at all cLOUDEAD doesn't do anything close to what I said DG does. Nonsense.

>When did I say "everything's in D?"
Your first post shitting on the album. That's totally what you were going for with the rest of your comments like the one afterward about the progression which pointed towards a "if a guitar is tuned one way all songs will be in that key" bullshit.

>It's not harmony
But it is though. Multiple notes playing together is the definition of harmony. Swans have an asston of notes playing together of course it's harmony.

>I'm seeing if you understand what you were claiming about those artists and it seems you don't given your unwillingness to specifically provide an example.
If you are going to continue to act like a child because you think you're on reddit where they spoonfeed you everything, sure. Please, continue your delusion.

>You clearly don't understand Berio nor his music so you should know that just because he used sonata form and tonal scales in his Sinfonia does not weaken the work, it strengthens it conceptually
You know Berio doesn't use sonata form in Sinfonia, right? The whole idea was to use a form that was not like a sonata. Bish Bosch doesn't have this tier of balls to try cool stuff.

>You lack any specific musical arguments.
>You have refused to elaborate any of your musical arguments.
I have been the one giving specific examples here. You are just trolling me with vague buzzword buzzword buzzword bullshit.

>You have been unable to provide any understanding of any of the topics you've chosen to discuss.
>Ternary forms
>Sonata form on Sinfonia
>Dissonance=complexity
Yeah sure.

>And lastly, you like a derivative Fantanocore album.
Except I have been a Swans fan for almost a decade now.

Top three:
1: Helplessness Blues
2: Lighght
3: Random Access Memories

this tied with The Seer

mate, you're arguing with boldfaure, don't even bother.

You didn't say he was trolling me...is he actually for real like Avant Math?

do better Sup Forums

yeah, almost as autistic and stubborn, but idt he's trolling. there is no point in trying to get your viewpoint across with them.

ha

I think he means the 2010-2019 decade

Shit. That makes sense actually.. My bad

I've actually never watched a full video of his, I find him annoying and disagree with him frequently and think his approach to reviewing music is very surface level

People like you are the reason why we can't get along.

at least you picked a good album to mess up with

>songs about protests and demonstrations (not being enough), people dying believing they're doing what's right through assasinating the queen or joining terrorist groups, the government being incompetent white soft boiled eggs, wanting to live somewhere else or forever and fearing what's to come, men having too much power
>all while coated with a sugary falsetto

Not album of the decade, but sums it up what's been happening pretty well

You're either lying or you have shit taste. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with this post.

Noone can tell you how music should make you feel.

To me virgins is about loss of innocence. Religiously, personally, or societally. The cover looks like some sort of vague religious icon, draped/covered. Also looks like an abu graib prisoner, which is also hinted at in the track 'incense at abu graib', pic related. You can take that symbolism and run with it.

Fight me

kek

Agreed, it's a record of our time.

Here's my AOTD

good album m8 (y)

Came here to post this
Such a good album

its album of the decade not album that feels like it takes a decade to listen to because it's shit

But it's BoC's best record user.

Of course it is because it's a best-of, essentially. Also boring as fuck to anyone who has listened to any of their back catalogue

>Bish Bosh
>AOTD

Just because you're too impatient to appreciate a slow record doesn't mean it's boring.

You enjoy BoC's other records, which other people think are boring as hell. Surely you should understand that "boring" is a really shitty criticism for music this subtle.

lol blurryface

tbqh

eccojams

has anyone else always felt like these were sister albums? they both have a certain feel to their music and to their cover that made me associate them with each other.

They're similar in sound but they evoke completely different imagery to me. The Inheritors feels like music from the dawn of man.

no joke