Sup Forums, is there a version out there, floating in the cosmos...

Sup Forums, is there a version out there, floating in the cosmos, that some brave soul has taken and removed the percussion from? I'm curious to hear it the way Avey originally envisioned it, plus I'm listening to Panda's first album currently and want to put the two side by side as their first "solo" projects

you should try /r/animalcollective

really? i hadn't thought of that but i'll give it a shot if you think it's a legitimate idea

panda's S/T is criminally underrated here, STGSTV is king though

does anybody know why google lists the wrong track listing for this album?

it's probably fucking up with the STGSTV/danse manatee anthology

i was curious. i was trying to listen to this album, and when i looked up the songs i got these, which were totally different from the song titles discussed in a thread yesterday.

apparently it has a 6.5 by the almighty p4k, but the article looks like it was written literally in 1999, so I bet a retrospective review would rate it higher. i'm REALLY digging it so far, but i don't want to ruin it and i think i'm going to save it for a month this Fall

I heard Avey lost the original tapes, so there's probably no way
as that other user said, you may as well ask r/animalcollective though

p4k gave it an 8.9, famala what are you talking about?

I love the melancholic atmosphere of the album, mich mit einer mond and sometimes when it hurts bad are fucking incredible

S/T, not STGSTV

ah, i was mistaken

i know, theres so many bomb tracks like mich mit einer mond and oh tinel

definitely agreed, I just listened to On the Farm. When those backing screams come in, it just hits that fucking spot. It's always incredible to see what kind of art can sometimes come from good, old fashioned dicking around in your bedroom with a couple of instruments and a computer

Listen to the actual tracks then of Spirit, and tell me what you think. Sup Forumscore aside, it really is top tier as far as albums go, and Danse manatee (the one you mistakenly listened to) is up there also

I wouldn't say danse is up there taking their entire discography into consideration, but it's defiantly underrated

i listened to STGSTV last night. I liked it. The first song was ugly as heck and really hard to power through, but from then on it was a pretty high quality record.

first song is great, it takes a bunch of listens to get used to the noise though

What makes you think he originally envisioned it without percussion? He just probably wasn't able to play it himself.

i didnt say i thought it was bad, i just said it was ugly. Which it is. Its a good song tho.

I know I read somewhere that Avey hadn't even planned on percussion until he and Panda played around with it, and he fell in love with it. I just tried Wiki and Pitchfork, and I can't find the exact statement, but I'm almost sure that that's the legend, if you will

The drums are exactly the way Avey Tare envisioned it. Anyone who knows how to play the drums could have done what Panda Bear did on that album, as Avey Tare completely dictated it to him through beat boxing and having Panda emulate it. I think part of the reason the drums on this album get so much praise is because people thing it's the one aspect of the album that wasn't Avey, whereas it really was.

im pretty sure most people consider STGSTV a solo effort, panda's name wasn't even going to be on the cover

he specifically asked panda to play the drums for this album, it is the way avey initially invisioned it.