AV1 and other video codecs

Is it going to be the holy grail codec?
Last I heard it had a very slow encoder still.
I'd love for my 8TB of animu to be at most 7TB after replacing rips with new ones.

Attached: AV1-logo.png (288x133, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/qa/thread/1897118/
base-n.de/webm/VP9 Sample.html)
forum.videohelp.com/threads/388108-MSU-Codec-Comparison-2017-Part-5-AV1-Comparison-results
relativelyinteresting.com/how-to-mislead-people-with-graphics-that-lie/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misleading_graph#Truncated_graph
bugs.chromium.org/p/aomedia/issues/list?can=2&q=label:Hotlist-AV1-Normative
twitter.com/AnonBabble

iirc the codec's bit-by-bit format has been frozen, so the encoder developers should be able to start optimizing

>AOMedia Video 1, almost universally referred to as AV1, is an open, royalty-free video coding format designed for video transmissions over the Internet. It is being developed by the Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia), a consortium of firms from the semiconductor industry, video on demand providers, and web browser developers, founded in 2015.
>To fulfill the goal of being royalty free, the development process is such that no feature is adopted before it has been independently double checked that it does not infringe on patents of competing companies.This contrasts to its main competitor HEVC, for which IPR review was not part of the standardization process.The latter practice is stipulated in ITU-T's definition of an open standard. The case of HEVC's independent patent pools has been characterized by critical observers as a failure of price management.

>open
>royalty free
>Alliance for Open Media
Freetards better check this shit out, yo

wait what? since when

Last I looked into AV1, it was supposed to be frozen in October last year. I don't know if they actually met that deadline, and I can't find anything from a quick search

AV1 is interesting, but it would be nice to have VP9 support in Sup Forums. I made a thread on /qa/ with over 100 replies, but the mods didn't respond. I had already submitted feedback forms described the advantages of VP9 over VP8

you know gookmoot isn't going to actually make any positive features for the site, right?
don't get me wrong, i want vp9 support too, but considering how things are going right now (adding malvertising to the main site for one), i wouldn't expect this to happen. other users requested this feature but got nothing out of it, sadly.

If you are interested
desuarchive.org/qa/thread/1897118/

Huh, it was actually 172 replies, but I propped that number up desperately hoping for a response from the devs

gook doesn't give a shit about this site.

AV1 won't be a thing until at least 2025.

AV1
>holy grail
yes and no
>compression
that's HEVC
>freedom of distribution
that's AV1

Even Microsoft Edge supports VP9 (tested here base-n.de/webm/VP9 Sample.html)

Seriously wonder why they won't accept the format when literally every browser that matters supports it just fine

Nvidia and AMD both committed to providing hardware acceleration for AV1. Encoding should get faster once bitstream freeze (final encoding spec) happens.

Isn't NVENC terrible?

you're just now reading about it..? we've been following it for years.

av1 already surpassed hevc in compression + quality

>Is it going to be the holy grail codec?
yeah... for a few years until they release AV2

Why isn't it out yet anyhow? I thought it was supposed to be final like half a year ago or more.

> I'd love for my 8TB of animu to be at most 7TB after replacing rips with new ones.
Eh, I do not think that will happen so fast or necessarily be exactly that rather than higher quality. It always took a while for the anime to be replaced and gains weren't always huge.

Frankly, get some extra 10TB drive[s] instead of waiting.

>it was supposed to be frozen in October last year. I don't know if they actually met that deadline
They didn't, but it was frozen in January

I don't think it is working out well. Last actual report from some university said it is 3000 times slower to encode than competition.

With basically every big name tech company backing it you would expect progress reports. Only reason it is not being talked about is because they are having trouble getting it up to par.

That's not hard in the least. What's hard is getting that compression in a realistic encoding timeframe.
So the question is going to be whether AV1 will ever have an encoder that's usable for someone without a server farm.

It's slower because it isn't optimized at all. This was always the stated development plan. Write something using the most simple code possible until the bitstream is frozen, and then start optimizing. Performance was not a goal for any part of the initial development. There would be no point in optimizing before bitstream freeze, because all the effort put into optimization would have a good chance of getting scrapped anyway.

Actually, it's not frozen yet. There's still a few minor things. But it's really close to being done. ETA a few weeks ago was "a few to several weeks". You can see the tickets remaining on the issue tracker so that should give a general indication of how close they are.

Why isn't my anime being ripped with Opus audio.

MPEG fanbois on suicide watch.

Because the source audio stream is already lossy, and just copying it as-is is saner than transcoding lossy to lossy.

But my BD rips

>AV1
>optimized
Better just wait for H.266 by that time.

Not really. I think you forget what H.265 was like at launch.

H.265 was 3000x slower than competition?

>implying everyone hasn't already been following this shit for years
I know you're clueless, but you don't need to make it this obvious

No one uses opus which is the best audio format, so no one will use actual good things because they're all retarded.

No one uses opus because other formats are "good enough" and switching would not be worth it. It's not the case with video because it's much more bandwidth demanding.

>companies whose entire business is audio files don't use it
Why doesn't Spotify, Apple Music, Google Music use it? It would clearly benefit them greatly.

>You can see the tickets remaining on the issue tracker
got a link?
It wasn't on the first jewgle SERP for "av1 bitstream freeze open issues"

How slow is encoding with it, anyway? Because to me, the time it takes to encode is a one time thing, but the quality and file size of the video are forever.

Also it is very easy to notice the difference between high quality and low quality videos.

Audio, in other case, is much harder. And yet people with "golden ears" still prefer analog audio.

AV1 has different encoding speeds and currently single core only. It also doesn't really use assembly instruction sets to speed up the encoding like x264/5. This will come later but currently the standard is still being tested for what experiments are worth the CPU cycles and what should be left out of the standard.

Also have no idea where your number came from.

Check this out.

forum.videohelp.com/threads/388108-MSU-Codec-Comparison-2017-Part-5-AV1-Comparison-results

The provided AV1 (which is not even a standard yet) codec has been crowned the most efficient out of any other codec from any other standard.

Attached: MA7s7ma.jpg (1242x1656, 182K)

Not the same guy but I've been watching Youtube talks by Mozilla devs and they are still working on it and keep pushing back the date. I have no link to provide but I'm pretty certain it's still unfrozen.

>Graph of efficiency starts at 50%
Powered By Jewvidia GraphWorks™

Attached: MSU AV1.png (928x843, 86K)

10x slower time is acceptable.
But 3000x slower time is totally different story.
And yet if you want best quality, then use a lossless codec would be better option. Or just use UltraIso to backup your disks.

>being a retard
graphs don't have to start at 0%.

>what is nvidia graphgate

Attached: muh performance graph.jpg (979x409, 28K)

We have been constantly asking for VP9 support for years now and every reason not to support it are now no longer valid because every browser that matters support VP9 webm, but gook still refuses to implement it, either it's a political issue, sheer laziness or both.

kys, and the AV1 graph comes from a Moscow University.

Learn about context and using your brain, you retarded meme-spouting retard. Graphs do not need to start at zero.

>shilling AV1 this hard
>nobody uses it
>JUST WAIT

It's not even a standard yet.

>kys
convincing argument
>Graphs do not need to start at zero
I didn't say they need to. If they don't tho, it's very likely to be marketing faggotry.
>Learn about context and using your brain, you retarded meme-spouting retard
literally no u
Starting the Y axis at 0 highlights the overall impact, truncating it highlights the differences.
If you don't want to be accused of being a marketing piece of scum, you'd better choose the appropriate range.

All of them continue down to zero. The only important parts are the differences BECAUSE IT'S A FUCKING RELATIVE GRAPHS.

>Being this denial

Attached: hehh.png (600x595, 567K)

>graph goes down to ~50, making the relative bar height difference 1:10
>target demo: "wow it's like 10 times better!"

>graph goes down to 0, thus not resulting in misleading bar height differences
>target demo: "arite, 's like twice-ish better"

marketing scum, the human race'd be better off without you

The numbers are above every bar, so there is no miss understanding.

They are also not marketing anything other than their tests analysis. They dont make codecs.

>RELATIVE
>RELATIVE
>RELATIVE

you're literally defending textbook misleading tactics, what's wrong with you?
relativelyinteresting.com/how-to-mislead-people-with-graphics-that-lie/

Attached: break-scale-in-bar-graph.jpg (590x381, 37K)

Now that Apple boarded the AV1 train, expect first hw encode decoders around 2020

>Now that Apple boarded the AV1 train, expect [apple-tier shilling]
ftfy

That's not what's happening though.

Attached: anonisafuckingretard.png (813x381, 26K)

As long as the numbers are present on the aaxis and are correct then there is nothing misleading.

Afraid that your calculator can't run new animu encoded in AV1?

You're literally defending the most common form of deception by graph. You should be ashamed of yourself.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misleading_graph#Truncated_graph

I don't know the exact figures, but the point was that it was far far slower than it is now, and that was after the spec was finalised. We're not even at that point yet.

For example, Netflix and YT plan to start using it within months of bitfreeze when the speed has been optimised (figures stated have been around 5x that of HEVC). People like need to stop touting 3000x, at least without a giant asterisk. It's incredibly misleading. Or perhaps that's the point.

FWIW, Soundcloud just switched to it and it does have some interest elsewhere. I suspect a lot more will use it when AV1 gets used since they're like the defacto pair.

I *think* this is it. I've not read any of them, they're over my head, but I think it gives a general idea:
bugs.chromium.org/p/aomedia/issues/list?can=2&q=label:Hotlist-AV1-Normative

Eh, we were getting some around then from the several existing hardware makers anyway. Apple aren't even that fast with this shit anyway (e.g. they were years after others for HEVC).

You are literally doing forum sliding over a 3rd party publication on AV1. Are you suggested AOM paid off Moscow university to make that graph?

They are still h265 shills and have their h265 image format to replace jpeg and h265 facetime. They only joined because the writing is on the wall for h265. Apple came to the Av1 group only because they did not want to be locked out.

They are not necessarily misleading. It's even there in your link, you illiterate fuck.

I don't give a fuck who paid who.
I'm pointing out this is obvious deception, by using the most notorious bar graph fuckery known to man.
You're the one defending deceptive marketing tactics. How do you delude yourself to think that you're not subhuman scum?
Disclaimer: I support AV1 strongly, but "no bad tactics" is a great way to lose support from those that are aware of how unethical this shit is.
>not necessarily misleading
They are in this case, you unethical piece of garbage.

>everything is labeled
>scale is appropriate for the data being presented

There is literally nothing about the graph that is at all misleading. You're just actually braindead.

>bugs.chromium.org
Neat, cheers.
Wonder if I should be slightly concerned that aomedia is on the chromium bug tracker.

Well have fun tilting at windmills.

If you lack the capacity to read academic papers refrain from them, those types of graphs are common in papers. They don't target "consumers" so your whole rant is moronic.

well I mean it's not like anyone uses it yet. Everything uses mp4 and webm currently. Hopefully AV1 has some success.

>actually defending misleading marketing tactics
I swear people like this is the reason Facebook is cancer and Trump had won.

>le ebic trolling eggsdee

>everything is labeled
>scale is appropriate
Doesn't change the outcome - the majority of people will be mislead due to the misleading relative area of the bars, you dunce.
E.g.
>Both of these graphs display identical data; however, in the truncated bar graph on the left,
the data appear to show significant differences, whereas in the regular bar graph on the right, these differences are hardly visible.
>academic papers
As if that's raising the bar too much.
You think "academics" don't try to present their findings "in the best possible light" all the time?
>They don't target "consumers"
"Ooh, we're so smart, surely we won't be mislead by this like those sheeple over there"
I bet you think advertising doesn't work on you too, huh?
>fun
It's the furthest thing from fun, but that's what I get for letting my naive idealism get to me.
Aye, if only those type of people could be separated from society, so they can continue misleading each other, instead of fucking shit up for the rest of us.
I have a personal hatred for them as I've seen the difference between societies with widespread dishonesty, and those with a more reigned-in one.

Gotta keep this trainwreck goin'

Attached: HZe4vKy.png (2100x2100, 32K)

You are very sophisticated seeing through marketing tactics and deceptions, your non-contribution to the topic here was priceless, a true redpilled gentleman not like those sheeple over there truly.

>Is it going to be the holy grail codec?

Possibly, it aims for ~30% better compression than HEVC, and is royalty free which means it can be implemented by any browser of other software, and thus will likely be the new de facto video standard on the web (something HEVC could never be since it demands royalties).

>Last I heard it had a very slow encoder still.

AFAIK it's in the last stages of bitstream freeze, once that is done, optimization will commence (it's rather pointless to optimize code paths which might not make it into the spec).

>I'd love for my 8TB of animu to be at most 7TB after replacing rips with new ones.

Sounds within reason.

Probably not considering it is fairly Google-led and largely based on Google's previous codec.

Anyone know if anyone is recording statistics on transcoding speeds? Or perhaps anyway to take some from AreWeCompressedYet? I'd love to see, a year or two down the line, some stats on how compression speeds have increased over time.

If not, I might see if I can give it a go myself.

>muh free
>muh quantity

Keep shilling.
Reminder that Windows, JPEG, GIF and MP3 are still exist in 2018.

>muh free
>muh quality

Keep shilling.
Reminder that Windows, JPEG, GIF and MP3 still exist in 2018.

>AV1 will suffer the same fate as HEVC and never get a decent encoder
Screencap this

Why would anyone screencap your shitty passive aggressive way of saying x265 is not decent?

>decent encoder means fast encoding on my 5 year old i3

X265 is decent m8

x265 is pajeet-tier software

I never mentioned speed

Pretty much, on release there was only the HM encoder, it took a few years for x265 to be written.

Like x264 is a tranny-tier software? Wow.

It is the best out there if you ignore the none standardized av1

Yeah but this tranny-tier software is actually good

It's not even the best HEVC encoder

MSU would disagree

>Daiz shilling something good

>Daiz
and take your epic 2011 memes with you

Said the guy defending the 2013 Sup Forums meme.

What does this even mean? The post you replied to was my first in this thread

Cmon m8, that the best you got?
>very sophisticated
far from it, but I've seen enough skulduggery of this very type to remember it
>true redpilled gentleman not like those sheeple over there truly.
Quite the opposite, I'm just your average everyman falling for the same crap as everyone else.
If we're to strive for a bit more objectivity, it's important to call out blatantly unethical bullshit when we notice it.
As a staunch supporter of AV1, I find it even more important, because short-sighted cunts promoting patents-ridden shit *will* use such missteps to argue against AV1.

More than you deserve. You have so far not shown a single reason why the study in question is marketing or the graph in question is in bad faith or how it is deceiving, only like a faux-questioning mind mindlessly parroting over false equivalences and your best appeal is "X did something bad with Y so every Y is bad". You haven't commented on the actual subject of the study but bitched about form and wasted everybodys time, bravo.

>not shown a single reason why the study in question is marketing
I haven't made any such claim.
>or the graph in question is in bad faith
Yeah nah, this isn't a criminal court where we need to go all "mea culpa beyond reasonable doubt": your shit fits all the checkboxes for deceptive marketing tactics, it gets criticized.
99% of the time you see data presented in this way, it's in bad faith. The 1% "good faith"ers can throw in a *prominent* disclaimer, as they should be aware that "good faith" doesn't prevent viewers from being misled.

what kind of disgusting fuck uses mp4 over mkv

bottom-of-the-barrel rips