how long is it going to take for my kernel to compile
why did I get baited into this shitty OS

Attached: gentoo.png (400x400, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

voidlinux.eu/news/2017/12/ponysay.html
artixlinux.org/
cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180321.iso
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it takes almost a day or two on low end pc.

Also, keep installing gentoo

It's still going
The laptop I'm installing it on does have a 2.2Ghz processor and 4GB of ram though..

compiling from source takes a shit ton of time. Just leave it for next few hours.

is there any actual reason why I should use gentoo instead of Arch for anything other than bragging rights? Its not free (I know Arch isn't as well) and the "compiled from source optimisation" is a big fucking meme and you won't even notice a difference between compiled from source and binary programs.

Yeah, arch works for every situation you need gentoo for. Also, you can brag with Arch too.

The reason I'm installing it is because I don't want to use systemd anymore

Jesus wait till you compile firefox or chromium mate...

I'm done with the bzImage and onto modules!

why not try void then?

it seems okay but someone earlier was talking about all the developers being pony/furfags or something.
If I don't end up liking gentoo (specifically I think I might not like the package manager) I'll try void

holy shit voidlinux.eu/news/2017/12/ponysay.html

lmao, gentoo it is, im not supporting some queer fur fags.

It's not installed by default though

Hold up boys--
Artix is looking pretty good as an alternative to void
artixlinux.org/

doesn't look too bad

the fact that its even in their repos is just a no from me

Shouldn't take much more than 10 minutes on a fairly recent computer (assuming you passed the -jN option to make where N is your number of cores + 1).

These are my compile times that I've collected over the years. The configs are similar, but not completely the same. They've grown a bit over the years since I've found myself needing more features like firewall stuff, filesystems, various drivers.

## Kernel 3.10.11 (E6300)
make 688.11s user 50.84s system 97% cpu 12:38.10 total

## Kernel 3.10.14 (E7600)
make 417.42s user 32.36s system 96% cpu 7:44.96 total

## Kernel 3.10.30 (E7600)
make -j3 429.09s user 34.70s system 187% cpu 4:07.74 total

## Kernel 3.14.12 (i5-4690)
make -j5 270.97s user 11.21s system 348% cpu 1:20.90 total

## Kernel 3.14.33 (E7600)
make -j3 410.30s user 33.48s system 185% cpu 3:59.52 total

## Kernel 3.18.19 (G3450)
make -j3 280.04s user 10.76s system 178% cpu 2:42.98 total

## Kernel 4.9.20 (G3450)
make -j3 399.84s user 16.54s system 187% cpu 3:42.54 total

## Kernel 4.9.40 (G3450)
make -j3 395.78s user 14.11s system 187% cpu 3:38.78 total

## Kernel 4.9.43 (E3 1220L V3)
make -j5 1652.11s user 69.21s system 383% cpu 7:28.46 total

## Kernel 4.12.8 (1700X)
make -j9 759.84s user 416.07s system 733% cpu 2:40.31 total

Which 2.2GHz processor is that? And you should get more than 4GB of RAM, 8GB should be enough. Most things are fine with 4GB, but there are behemoths like firefox that require more than 4GB during the linking stage. I like to use distributions with binary packages on systems with limited resources.

Intel Atom processor, it's basically a glorified netbook
>download more ram

But yeah, it's still compiling modules, and it's been over 2 hours since my OP. I might end up cancelling the install and going with a binary distro

A distribution based on binary packages sounds like a better idea.

Arch
1/2

Attached: 20180321_231219.png (2389x650, 150K)

Gentoo
2/2

Attached: 20180321_231258.png (1353x1208, 175K)

disgusting

What distro are you using? I kind of want to avoid a systemd based one, potentially looking at void or artix

Attached: systemd-devours-all.gif (426x284, 3.99M)

CRUX, another source based one. There is a guy that kept trying to build CRUX on his Atom, but he ragequit several times. How about Alpine? I tried that in a VM once, and it seems like a really nice distro.

The only real reason to install gentoo is if you're not on arm or x86_64 architecture.

Try Artix

Does ccache break cmake for any of yall

10 Mins? You're full of shit

yuck

Did you even look at the code block? Linux have grown a lot over the years, but it still only takes a few minutes to build on any recent i5, i7, or ryzen processor. The 1.2GHz E3 1220L V3 does it in 7 minutes and 30 seconds when using both cores + hyperthreading (+1) and a Ryzen 1700x does it in less than 3 minutes. There is no need to enable every single option when you're building a custom kernel for your own use.

that i5-4690 put in some serious work, or the kernel you were compiling was significantly smaller in 3.14.12

I plan on installing linux on an old computer 1ghz pentium iii and 1gb ram respectively. I read online that gentoo would be the most optimal but I'm not sure how long it would take considering the hardware. Would alpine be a better alternative?

I never tried alpine so I don't have an opinion. if you do install gentoo make sure there is sufficient cooling on the system because last time I tried to compile it on an old laptop I killed the hard drive. It may have already been failing but Im thinking it was excessive heat

samefag here
It is highly rated on distrowatch I would try it

Just install Clover

I don't think my config have changed that much since I started saving those compile times. It seems to me like the kernel have just grown. I mostly just run make olddefconfig && make, so there are probably some options that I don't need in there, but I do make sure to go in and disable drivers for hardware that I don't own once in a while. The Ryzen config is different since thats the only one thats made for desktop use.

Slackware works well on such old computers in my experience. I'm guessing Alpine should work well too if they have a proper i686 version. I don't think Gentoo works that great on old computers due to the compile times. Not without a modern computer helping out with distcc at least.

I'm installing alpine right now
Hot damn their installer script is neat. It even setup my wireless config for me which had been a small feat during my arch linux installation

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20180321.iso

Attached: 2018-03-22-011925_2560x1440_scrot.png (2560x1440, 1.89M)

Why would anyone use this shit?

Alpine generally is quite neat, but the amount of packages is a lot more limited than on other distros.

it takes 6-7 minutes to build my ddbloated kernel on e5620

There is no official i3 package :(

Certainly not the only thing that is absent.

The perils of trying to essentially base everything on musl, eh. It's a patch intensive affair with slow progress. Also wouldn't be easier on Gentoo BTW, sauce code is just somewhat fucked.

What are your thoughts on slackware?

I did wait 3 hours desu

I'd miss the more competent package managers gentoo / fedora (since dnf) / sabayon / alpine / ... have.

But it's okay I guess? People have been using this since forever and it worked for them.

Plus at least building packages from git is a less upsetting experience than on Debian - not that that's a high standard.

>competent package manager
>entropy

Attached: disgusted.gif (200x150, 474K)

Yea. It is. Surprisingly competent actually.

What's the issue you've had with it?

lol this
emerge chromium and see you CPU cry for two hours

Eh, maybe, but I personally prefer rolling release. Arch Linux 32 should work as well. Maybe try Void Linux if you're avoiding systemD.

20 minutes just for kernel itself?
what did you install gentoo on?

>assuming you passed the -jN option to make where N is your number of cores + 1
Use number of threads the processor has eg. for that ryzen 7 use -j16 instead.

It's about this much quicker (linux-4.14.29 with Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8Ghz):
% make defconfig && time make -j9
real 2m56.455s
user 14m29.860s
sys 4m5.376s
% make clean && time make -j16
real 1m34.890s
user 19m46.991s
sys 2m8.712s

OP try to compile this packages:

xorg-server, plasma-meta and chromium.

Attached: 0e9.jpg (600x600, 27K)

You DID customize a kernel to fit your computer right?

Attached: 1518136815226.jpg (680x649, 55K)

4.9 genkernel would take about 6-9 hours on my X60 with a Core Duo while using a single core with some load from browsing and torrenting
ponysay is on pretty much every single major distro you fucking newfag Try Antix

are you using genkernel ?
if not did you not use -j
if you answered yes, you are doing it wrong

they didn't make a news and felt proud about it, tho. Which is still the more recent news on the site, and about 4 months old. No, thanks.

these fags are right, this isn't arch where you just copy paste shit until it works. minimal kernel with -j8 takes like 5-7 min to compile on i5-4690k

>actually installing linus+gatoo

>I’m not going to install a perfectly functional operating system that would basically fit my needs entirely and solve most of the problems I have that make me distrohop because the developers of it like something I don’t

well done Sup Forums, just don’t bitch later

rm .config
make localmodconfig

>compile from source to spare a few clock cycles
>but spend an hour a day compiling from source
For what purpose? Unless you're using a toaster's microcontroller as your CPU you won't feel the difference anyway
Fuck, I haven't felt the difference in fluidity between Win 10 and a minimal Debian install on my i7 laptop

Use make -j4 or something next time, if you have a multithreaded CPU.

I wouldn't give a rat's ass about who is developing my software as long as it adheres to the following principles:
>Performs its intended function effectively
>Is well documented
>Respects my privacy
>Does not abuse my system with malware/adware
>The software itself does not shove a political agenda down my throat and sticks to its intended function as a tool and nothing more. (Does not apply to the online community itself)
>Is actively supported by the developers
Only exception to the rule is if I am paying for it, then the political aspect matters.

>compile from source to spare a few clock cycles
I think most of us primarily use Gentoo for better customization rather than the performance benefits.
That said, during times when your PC is performing some hard work, those benefits can be pretty sizable, march=native in particular. For example, an user recently showed how various CFLAGS affected the performance of a picture editing script. Some configurations led to the work being finished in ~70-75% of the time it took the standard -O2.
>but spend an hour a day compiling from source
There are few problems with this assumption. One, anything even vaguely resembling a modern desktop PC will compile much faster than that. I can do a full-system recompile in 5-6 hours on my Pentium G4560. So in most (but not all) weeks, mere updates will take this PC much less than 7 hours a week. Two, it's not like you have to update every day or even every week. Three, the computer can compile just fine while you're sleeping, not present, or doing something else.

genkernel took some hours on my pentium M
I'd be more worried about overheating

I compiled each of the 4.15.x kernel updates in 10 minutes on an i5-8250U laptop CPU.

>plasma-meta
>chromium.
rip
Even libreoffice is unbelievably slow, took literally a day on my shittop

are you the only person shilling cloveros?

>tfw customize kernel
>surprisingly it boots
>network isn't working
that was the farthest I got to gentoo installation, I kinda gave up after that

Installed Gentoo with KDE and Firefox.
What do now? I want to learn more about Gentoo.
Also recc me programs

>64bit only
>shitty meme CFLAGS

that has to be the ugliest WM i've ever seen.

also jesus fucking christ clean up your dock

literally just add contrib repos

emerge spotify chromium-browser
Seriously though, install whatever you want.
porthole if you want a GUI to portage
mpv and smplayer for a proper video player
wine if you want to run windows programs
redshift if you need a flux replacement
transmission for torrents
thunderbird for email
gimp for image editing
krita for drawing shit
gpicview for fast image viewing
infinality for best font rendering, read the gentoo wiki for this

That's literally the default CloverOS setup

why the fuck are you quoting me

checked. I am the alpine linux guy you were replying to. I uninstalled and am currently running void on my laptop. Been hopping distros all night lmao

to be honest void is probably better for desktop use. void-musl should be comfy too and have a bit better desktop support than alpine. i've just personally never gotten into it – i'm gonna stick with alpine until i have free time to finish my LFS install

m8, just drop. I had (it's still lying on hdd though) Gentoo on a Atom N455 w/ 2Gb RAM, compile times was horrible (more than two days for firefox) to compile.
I moved to devuan (debi w/o systemd) and haven't noticed speed difference really

Unless you need something special, it's really better to just use firefox-bin, thunderbird-bin and libreoffice-bin. It shoud even be possible to use it with apulse, with little about:config magic (though I wouldn't know about that, since I USE +jack)

>it seems okay but someone earlier was talking about all the developers being pony/furfags or something.
That's one of the stupidest fucking reasons in the world to not use a free operating system.

I just said "fuck it" and installed pulseaudio
This shit isn't worth the trouble

>more than two days for firefox
Then that thing is much slower than a pentium M
Or you fucked up something

>install gentoo
Is literally a meme that people say to trick you into sinking a shit ton of time in something that's completely counter-intuitive. Unless of course your goal is to have a system optimized and compiled completely from source. In that case, Gentoo excels. If that's not the case, then you got memed, and I'm laughing at you.

It's a meme to say install gentoo is a meme

Frankly I was just memeing user, but my point is optimisation doesn't matter that much for most modern machines. Customization, now that's a strong advantage of Gentoo.

should have installed based funtoo using the included compiled debian-sources kernel to get a bootable system and then compile a custom kernel later...

Why though? Genkernel with custom menuconfig is all you need

yes you can just use the debian kernel in the stage 3, boot configure your system to be useable and then genkernel any sources u want and remove the debian kernel which is preferable if your system is old as fuck and takes 3 days to compile a kernel

>if your system is old as fuck and takes 3 days to compile a kernel
Genkernel with almost everything enabled took like 2-3 hours on my pentium m

>how long is it going to take for my kernel to compile
You must be b8. The kernel compiles pretty quickly even on a shitty rig.

Attached: 1521076598915.jpg (470x470, 31K)

Just CFLAGS and cow titty wp. Damn easy to reproduce, but takes long time and may breaks some program.

Yeah but why would you want that shitty config anyway?

muh speed

I mean, installing gentoo yourself would give you a better system and no useless bullshit

G4560 masterace

the answer is devuan user

>but someone earlier was talking about all the developers being pony/furfags or something
that was a joke because the repo has some packages with "pony" in the game. Packages that are on most other distro's repos as well

how do i post text/code in a window like that user-kun?