Why is nano the best text editor? Vim is a meme for wanna-be nerd normies just getting into programming

Why is nano the best text editor? Vim is a meme for wanna-be nerd normies just getting into programming

Attached: nano_03.jpg (586x424, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Mark-Weston/silva-rerum/blob/master/.nanorc
ex-vi.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Maybe get a GUI and use sublime. Instead of being an edgy faggot.

Because it doesn't take a 5 year University course to learn how to use the fucking thing

>using namespace std;
>use nano

seems about right

lol at sublime

>meme for wanna-be nerd normies just getting into programming
>using namespace std
Seems like you swapped off nano and vim on your post

meant to call OP but who gives a shit

does nano have spell check? copy-pasta? visual mode? deleting whole lines at a time?
I'll stick with my meme text editor, thanks

it's best because it's the one I started with (actually pico but they're functionally identical)

I loved it, I didn't have to memorise key commands for vi or anything like that, it was very comfy to use for a n00b.

That's not ed.

>does nano have spell check?
uh....
>copy-pasta?
yes (ctrl-k ctrl-u)
>visual mode?
I don't know what this is
>deleting whole lines at a time?
ctrl-k

what's wrong with sublime?

I use nano for basic text editing and I love it, but for my programming and LaTeX work I use emacs because it's really easy to configure it to do the things I need it to do. Vim is shit.

Just use Emacs and if you are on a server use mg it's about 200KB, stop wasting your time with primitive tools like nano and vim/neovim.

Attached: DXt-SuNXkAAwuUb.jpg:large.jpg (1517x2048, 393K)

Yeah Nano is perfect save for it doesn't have more shortcuts. Also, people with IDEs usually do not have much a grasp of programming in my experience.

> c++
>using an outdaded program only the mentally handicapped prefer
checks out

>sublime

Attached: 1521221032224.jpg (960x882, 59K)

nothing is wrong with sublime. it has quick read times, a plugin manager and is not electron bloat.

open a terminal
type in vimtutor
go through it
fix your shit opinion

ignore this, i suck dicks.

who doesnt

literally
LITERALLY
who cares what text editor another person uses

Why do people still think sublime is worth using? Atom's actually pretty damn decent and can be far leaner / far more flexible as well depending on how you set it up.

>Why do people still think sublime is worth using? Atom's actually pretty damn decent and can be far leaner / far more flexible as well depending on how you set it up.
Atom is literally the worst text editor I've ever sued. Sublime is bloat, I'll give it that, but it's still a great text editor, unlike Atom.

because it has hotkeys and shortcuts that are superior to shitty vim and vi

Attached: texteditors.jpg (1224x720, 192K)

yes, yes, yes, yes

she's cute

Anything that heavily requires keyboard shortcuts is garbage.
You have to use it daily, or you just forget about it immediately.
I learned using Blender, and it was great.
Tried using it a month later, and I was back to square one.
You MUST have menu dialog that show you shortcuts. And nano doesn't do anything like that.

why the last name in all caps? looks stupid imo, like they suddenly start screaming

Op confirmed brainlet

Attached: vim_java.gif (646x524, 1.1M)

If you are using a text editor for anything meaningful, you need something that lets you configure your own keybinds easily. I use Emacs and nobody uses Emacs' defaults (which is pretty stock from what you'd expect from a text editor anyway other than cut and paste being different.). It's designed to easily implement your own binds and program your own actions for your own use. It's really useful that I can easily get into a good workflow with both LaTeX and with programming. Just configure different modes.

gedit is fine.
Tell me what the fuck you can do with nano gedit can't.

Nano is the windows notepad for linux.
It takes 0.2 seconds to learn which is great for new users, but there is not much to gain from using it for a long time.
Compare this to something like kate, you have the same learning curve to the basic stuff and then you automatically learn more advanced things as you use it.

Stuff like vim and emacs that need a manual for you to learn it is not needed anymore.
They still work great, but the alternatives are getting better and can be used as a replacement in many cases.
Obviously we still need terminal editors for headless computers and servers, but I won't go back to vim for long term editing.

>You MUST have your hand held like a retard

Visual studio does all the fancy stuff you're talking about, and it does it in a way more efficient way.
And it's just there to be retard proof.
Why the fuck do you feel smart being able to fix code mistakes in bulk, with keyboard shortcuts?
Why the fuck are you making mistakes to begin with?
Please kill yourselves if you're using that thing on a daily basis.
It just means you're barely keeping up with real programmers.

Bateman's card honestly looks like mojibake.

How do I record a vim macro using nano?

Run without a display protocol

Every day you stick with nano is another day lost on your journey of learning the incredible power of vim.
FACT: Nano is for fucking retards.

>advanced things
>A
>FUCKING
>TEXT
>EDITOR

Because fuck trying to get better at things right?
Have you seen vim experts code? They fly all over the fucking place without even touching their mouse. So yeah, I'll stick to my meme editor :)

GNU nano is nice for quick edits.

Yeah you sound like you spend a lot of time judging people based on the software they use.
>t. brainlet

Yeah man they code up some pretty sick xorg.conf and bash scripts 1337

So editing configuration files on a server.
Most likely a few lines to change.
How does it help having fancy editing options just for that shit?
Let me tell you:
Some idiots use this shit to actually write scripts/programs.
They feel above the mass because they're so neet.
As I said, gedit is fine, unless you're dealing with a server.

> people arguing about text editors

the only real argument is if the editor is laggy like Atom or not

I use vim cuz why not.

If you learn sublime's key bindings you can not use the mouse in sublime either, and you can do things really fast too

yes vim has some stuff that are better

guess what, sublime does some other things that vim does better

it's a fucking text editor you nerds, get over it.

Have fun with 50% of your ram taken by a fucking text editor

>sublime does some other things that vim does better

sorry for the shitty grammar, i meant sublime is better at some things than vim is

>They feel above the mass because they're so neet
I don't know these mystery nerds that are bullying you at uni. All I'm saying is, Unix-like OS's are text driven OS's first, not GUI ones. So it's pretty important that a user-friendly editor like nano exists. I use both, I wish copy and paste was as good as Gedit, but I don't think that's technically possible for cli without some ncurses cancer wrapper.

Not everyone is riding in 4gb of ram

Revert document to it's state 5 minutes ago.
:earlier 5m
A little too soon?
:later 1m

:r /path/to/otherfile.text
reads otherfile.txt into your doc at cursor position
:r![command] reads output of [command] into your doc.

>pic related to diff mode.

*on

d'oh

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-22 13-41-28.png (834x503, 24K)

Look, I use VI when I have to, but it's not that often.
It's like using Lynx to browse Sup Forums.
You can get a lot done using Lynx, but you'd rather not.

Okay? Some people don't want to put in the effort to learn a bunch of obsecure keyboard shortcuts.

POST YOUR NANORC
github.com/Mark-Weston/silva-rerum/blob/master/.nanorc

>waaaaaah I don't wanna learn

Attached: 1460958982825.jpg (800x600, 60K)

>I can't accept that not everyone shares my archaic opinions
I bet your vim config file is sick as fuckkk

I don't even use vim because vim is bloat
traditional vi is the way

Don't pretend you didn't know what I was talking about

fucking this
it takes like 10 minutes and you'll never be able to go back

I can tell you've never seen proper vi otherwise you'd know how stupid that sounds
ex-vi.sourceforge.net/

>wasting screen real estate just to remind yourself how to save and close

Attached: 1521576967568.jpg (800x450, 33K)

The point is idc, you're splitting hairs.

what is a killer feature vim has but nano doesn't?

Having to memorize this

Attached: vi-vim-cheat-sheet.gif (1024x724, 155K)

>All that shit
>Versus Ctrl+k -> Ctrl+d to autoformat, navigate to insert, type while hitting tab occasionally for intellisense insertions
I'll keep Visual Studio, or literally any other modern IDE.

>screen real estate

set nohelp
set more space

i meant
set nohelp
set morespace

just go through the vim tutor a couple of times shit

>$ just like in grep
>:s just like bash history substitution
>others as in less
>many addons or options for other programs to use vim style navigation
DO YOU EVEN *NIX

s/nano/ed
Fixed that for you. ED IS THE FUCKING STANDARD EDITOR

I'm on that weird side of Sup Forums

:s/old/new
>quite sed-like as well.

Sanest person on this thread

You're on the wrong side of the internet, Redditor.

If I have to Google how to quit an editor because there are no visual cues then it's shit in my book. Why nano isnt included in the minimal CentOS image is beyond me.

>pic related
>no pic
what did he mean by this?

/thread.
I hate vim and emacs, useless piece of garbage. I have no time for memorising shitty shortcuts.
GUI based editor is even better. Only retards and NEETs will argue with that.

THIS THREAD;
vim users: FFS, learn2 vim. It's like a billion times extra power.
nano users:

hurr lerning is hard.

I've been on here for 6 years.

I postered it 2 spots down but then forgotted the quote link.

its called refactoring not mistakes, retard

>it takes like 10 minutes
stop lying, it takes months of regular usage during which you're constantly reminded of how shit you are for not intuitively figuring out a bunch of arbitrary shortcuts

>Also, people with IDEs usually do not have much a grasp of programming in my experience.
you need to make better friends/colleagues. The people I've seen who refuse to use IDEs and such take forever to make anything and write code that's just awful to read and totally doesn't correctly model the process they implemented. They have to put a lot of effort into doing anything and for some reason think memorizing every detail of an sdk is a good thing, ignoring the fact that they're putting themselves in a golden cage that way by refusing to learn new things since it takes too much effort to learn it all their way.

People who get with the times on the other hand seem to have much more flowing code that uses more appropriate data structures and control flow, and they're much more flexible and adaptable, easily picking up new tools and such, and they don't need to memorize a damn thing because the IDE puts all context-sensitive documentation just a click away.

Geany is the best.
the notepad++ of linux

It's called doing a poor analysis job before coding.
You're refactoring your code because you went on and started coding before you understood how it fucking works.

I'm still looking for a good command line editor that works like a gui windows editor. What is the notepad++ of the command line?

microsoft editor.

>Scintilla based
Where's the love?

Attached: Pluma_1.8.1.png (641x578, 34K)

Nano

I prefer VIM.
I started on OS/390 though.

that's how you understand, silly
you write a quick and dirty prototype and learn from your mistakes, then rewrite

Ed

If you hit ctrl c, a how to quit vim message pops up.

I used to be like that.
I just programmed on the fly.
I learned it's actually worth it to spend a bit more time writing down the problem, than spend twice as much figuring out what's wrong with your blob of code.

Daily reminder that writing software is 99% thinking and 1% text input, and everyone should use editors that they personally find comfortable, without any regard to (((productivity))).
prove me wrong

>protip: you can't

Attached: 1445101518686.jpg (602x450, 24K)

>uses VIM
>spends 99% of the time in insert mode

Leet hacker coming through guyz

Also Kakoune