How does Sup Forums feel about Nvidia's GPP?

How does Sup Forums feel about Nvidia's GPP?

Attached: wtf2.jpg (757x432, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamesn.com/nvidia-confirms-gpp-doesnt-prevent-amd-gaming-brands
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Antitrust lawsuit fucking when?

Nobody sees the GPU in my mining farm anyway so who cares?

What is GPP?

Coercion program that nvidia will employ to regulate manufacturers.

>Hey Manufacturer, wanna sign up for our GeForce Partner Program? You'll get XYZ benefits, BUT you're not allowed to sell AMD products branded with your Gayman line.

Why isn't AMD doing the same?

so does this mean they stop selling amdgpus altogether, or do they still sell them but without the gaudy gaymer look?

>AMD
>competing with Nvidia
They'll get laughed out of the conference room.

Neither. They'll either start selling them without their edgy gaymur branding or make up some new branding for amd cards. Probably the latter.

So they just make a separate brand with differently designed shrouds, different implementations of RGB, fans and heatseaks, and different names.

What's the problem here?

NVIDIA CONFIRMED FOR MANBABY GAYMER COMPANY LEL HOLY KEK

Whoops. Autocorrect.

Heatsink**

It's Nvidia getting license exclusivity on brand names. How is this any different from restaurants being unable to stock Pepsico products if they have a soda machine leased from Coca Cola?

GPP = Goyim Partner Program

It's sad to see Nvidia willing to take a page out of Intel's playbook.
SAD!

I smell a lawsuit

>buying non-reference cards
Shiggy.

Does this also mean they're dropping the gaymer aesthetic? Or is it just the brand name?
Also I'm pretty sure this bullshit won't fly in Europe. EU has a hardon for anti-trust regulations.

I'd imagine it just means that say, Gigabyte won't be able to put their high end AMD cards under the same Aorus name they use for their most tricked out Nvidia ones.

From what I can tell they have to keep the Nvidia and AMD cards under different brands.

pcgamesn.com/nvidia-confirms-gpp-doesnt-prevent-amd-gaming-brands

Really doesn't seem THAT bad

t. amd fanboy

>Nvidia basically now owns the brands that the manufacturers have spent years on building a reputation
>oh just create a new one for AMD who cares
Normies who don't pay attention to this shit will just stick to the established brands they already know because they trust them, meaning more sales for Nvidia.

God I hope Nvidia gets hit hard for this shit, but I know they won't.

>>Nvidia basically now owns the brands that the manufacturers have spent years on building a reputation
Does ANYONE really care about ROG or STRIX branding? The companies could keep those brands for amd and make new ones for nvidia.

>They'll either start selling them without their edgy gaymur branding
Yes.

>or make up some new branding for amd cards. Probably the latter.
No. They can't do that. If it perceived by nvidia as a "gaming" brand, regardless if it has the gaming name in it, or not, nvidia will penalize you. You simply cannot. It's just gonna be no name "MSI radeon rx 570" from now on, not Aorus and you are not allowed to make another, separate gaming brand by nvidia, so no "Borus" or whatever other branding.

And its not just the RGBs that are gonna be missing. The AMD cards are gonna have worse cooling solutions and to compensate for that, they will be lower clocked and thus will have another performance hindering factor.

>How is this any different from restaurants being unable to stock Pepsico products if they have a soda machine leased from Coca Cola?
I've seen this argument before and it is a false equivalent. Nvidia is selling you "can" sell AMD cards, but you've got to put them in the back, on that broken shelf, that has rat scurrying noises coming from behind it. You can not associate AMD with the good shelf, that's where only our products go. Otherwise, you will get no support from us, no marketing, no funding and yes, the GPP does indeed say in its terms that the AIBs are getting paid for it, its in the HardOCP article, and we reserve right to withhold our hardware in the unlikely scenario you do not sign up for the GPP. It is blackmail.

Seems like a good thing.

ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI historically made really shitty AMD cards except for MSI Lightning. And they have shitty costumer support and warranty handling.
More money for the actual good brands like Sapphire, XFX, Powercolor, HiS. And ASRock is coming as well.

>No. They can't do that. If it perceived by nvidia as a "gaming" brand, regardless if it has the gaming name in it, or not, nvidia will penalize you. You simply cannot. It's just gonna be no name "MSI radeon rx 570" from now on, not Aorus and you are not allowed to make another, separate gaming brand by nvidia, so no "Borus" or whatever other branding.
This is pure speculation from /r/AMD

The only restriction is that Nvidia have exclusivity for a gaming brand not all

>ASRock is coming
They fell for the mining meme

Because AMD is dirt poor by comparison, and would much rather try competing with Intel with CPUs. We desperately need a new GPU manufacturer

Maybe one of the mobile companies will try to make desktop cards. Like a mali or adreno or powervr card.

>get benefits
More like get the same benefits you already got, but now we have more demands from you and if you don't comply we can't guarantee stock, sorry.
Nvidia needs to fucking die, and take Intel with them. AMD does some shady shit, but nothing even close to what its competitors do.

>This is pure speculation from /r/AMD
Is there a condition that says only a "single" gaming brand? Per AIB? The way HardOCP puts it in the article, it seems like no gaming brand can be related to AMD. Gaming brand exclusivity is what nvidia wants. And even so, do you think ASUS, MSI ot Gigabyte are just gonna invest on an entirely new line of "gaming" brand gpus, when they've built up ROG, AORUS and ARMOR? Do you think AMD has the funds to support that? Of course its not nvidia's problem that AMD doesn't have the funds to do that, but neither should the AIBs be forced to hand over their gaming brands over exclusively to nvidia. Nvidia did not invent the line branding, the AIBs did. So why force them to do that?

They don't want people to confuse nvidia cards for amd cards :^)

If you don't think this is a problem then you may be a retard.

In that case, they are generous humanitarians. 10/10 IGN, would buy again.

How so? They have to release updated AMD cards now that look different from the nvidia cards.

>can't use a certain name on an AMD card
>somehow this is the end for AMD and a massive problem
Really makes you think

I'm not going to waste my time explaining to a couple idiots why they are stupid.

also
>somehow this is the end for AMD and a massive problem
>textbook slippery slope

This is a perfect example of why I choose not to argue with retards; they will never understand how retarded they really are.

Which will increase cost for both cards to have different fans and shrouds.

Just like two models of every monitor increases costs of the Freesync one as well as Gsync.

FUCK NVIDIA.

Why can't you answer the question as to why a name change is such a big deal for AMD?

whether or not it's a "big deal" is irrelevant, it's just more Nvidia kikery as usual

Cant you elaborate pls

>new 10 cent plastic injection molding shroud
>use the same fans
>profit

Just shows how poor AMD is desu

Are you a SJW?

Attached: 1521161160870.jpg (1129x1200, 118K)

>AMD GPUs without edgy gaymen branding
THANK YOU NVIDIA, YOU CAN KEEP YOUR GAYMEN GARBAGE

Please leave the strawmans and goalpost moving out of this. thx

>AMD doesn't try to use shitty, underhanded tactics to try to strongarm the competition so they're poor

>AMD is struggling so financially that a 10 cent rebranding is enough to get this up in arms over

But see, this isn't competition. Strongarming someone out of competition is anti-competitive and monopolistic. It's why INTEL got fined by the EU in, what was it, 2010?

Is that how the public sees it? How normies see it? People who aren't into tech as you and me? They see ROG nvidia cards and no brand MAD cards, they're gonna buy the ROG nvidia cards. Even in the off chance that AMD comes up with a superior product. Not gonna happen, but still.

The tooling in creation of new molds and training low skill workers to put the right shroud on is actually tens of thousands of dollars.

And 10 cents for the factory = $10 for the consumer in the end. That's just how it works. This will increase consumer price.

>It's why INTEL got fined by the EU in, what was it, 2010?
And Nvidia sees how Intel can just not pay it, and can make more money than they lost in fines, so they're doing the exact same thing.

>10 cent rebranding
You know it's going to be a lot more than just 10 cents. AIBs are not going to waste top tier cooling solutions, nor push specs on a no brand gpu. This is going to hurt AMD a lot more than you think it will. If you really think that way.

Mali is literally and you fag

>and sucks
>t.nvidia goy

>And Nvidia sees how Intel can just not pay it, and can make more money than they lost in fines, so they're doing the exact same thing.
Yes, but they can be stopped from doing it, as it is illegal. INTEL stopped. Now look at where they are; scared shittless of Ryzen and scrambling to get their 10nm process up to par with skylake. Fucking skylake. And Zen2 on 7nm is going to be 40% faster on process alone, according to GloFo.

>I'm not going to waste my time explaining
So just get the fuck out....

u wot

>a name change is strong arming AMD out of the competition
Do you even read what you're typing?

Its also the fact that Nvidia is using the already estabilished branding of these companies to sell Nvv products whilst AMD can no longer use it if the 3rd parties want to sell NV. Things like Republic Of Gamers by Asus or FrozR by MSI. These brands are known by consumers and Nvidia is sucking them all up like a greedy fuck.

Honestly I couldn't have seen this happening if AMD had produced a decent card, on time this past gen.

>Changing a name isn't strong arming
>Now presenting the all new, AMD exclusive ASUS RADEON RX SHITCANNED line.
Wouldn't you buy a gpu called shitcanned, user? Are you predispossed towards Shitcanned brand gpus? What's wrong with shitcanned? Why would you prefer a ROG one over it? It's just a name, bro.

>AMD has such awful marketing teams that they can't come up with new names
I mean, I shouldn't expect any better from the manufacturer that took over a year to come out with anything to compete with the 1080, but here I am.

I checked few hours ago and Gigabyte still had Aorus Radeons listed.
My thoughts exactly, I do not see how anyone can loose that, Nvidia will basically be obliged to expose agreement to authorities and if there is any exclusive statement there they loose 100%.

The gaming branded GPUs *vastly* outsell other GPUs. Nvidia wouldn't do this if it wouldn't benefit them and hurt their competition.

>irrelevant non answer
Guess I shouldn't expect anything better from you, but here I was, giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Introducing AMD ASUS Empire of Gaymers RX VEGA 56
Its that easy

This screams antitrust lawsuit, nvidia sees that amd is starting to get its shit together and they decide to pull this off, this is gonna be some good drama.

Yeah, hi, I'm nvidia. Sorry, you can't do that. Now Empire of Gaymers is an nvidia exclusive brand. Unlesss, of course, you don't like our funding and gpus.

AMD LIENUBS BTFO

HAAAAAH
TUX GETTING RAILED BY CORTANA AND NVIDIA!!!

Sup Forumsame over
Sup Forumsictory

AIBs have spent millions of dollars establishing a brand, it's not easy coming up with a new brand out of no where, it takes money and time.

>Antitrust lawsuit
Probably never. If media attention has reached someone who cares in the fascist union then perhaps the EU will take action like they've taken action like Intel for basically the exact same thing Nvidia is doing in the past. Don't hold your breath waiting for MSI or Gigabyte deciding that they don't want to be in the GPU business the next 5 years & suing Nvidia. It would have to come from either AMD or some outside-of-industry body like a government.

I for one would not be shocked if Nvidia gets fined big-time by the EU. That's just based their actions against Intel and others for basically the same thing.

They obviously can't due to their rather small marketshare. NVidia can because their marketshare is so huge in comparison.

Yes. People care. I don't, but there is a reason these companies have spent millions developing and marketing these brands. Most people will buy a "gaming" branded card.

except that's not what's happening, nvidia is after the already established brands, they aren't saying "make a new brand for us"

How do you prove it's "gaming" brand
>say it's workstation card
>but it also can game
>fancy led controllers
>but they're blue and green, means cool and efficient
>but it's workstation first
>;)
Waiting for Borus Vega56 to stock.

>How do you prove it's "gaming" brand
I'm nvidia, I don't have to prove shit, whiteboi. You give that brand or you gonna end up like Club3d. Yeah, that's what I thought. Bitch.

People need to be reminded of their below-average intelligence from time to time.

i-I'll sue you you fucking n-nigger! You won't get Borus!

Sue me? You signed up for the GPP, mother fucker, you volunteered. You can sign out, if you want, that's cool. But then I can't send you those marketing funds, I guess. And hey, those gpus may come a bit late. Like a few months or years. See, I got MSI, Gigabyte, PNY, PALIT and EVGA sucking my dick, so, you know, fuck you.

And then the EU and the FTC come and each shove 10 foot dildos up your ass because you're doing the same shit Intel did last decade. They still owe billions over that.

Yeah, but that's the thing, that's what this is, basically. Or, at least, because of the lack of nvidia's and the AIBs communication, that's what it comes off as. But if it wasn't and it actually is as good as Nvidia paints it to be, why not be public about it? Why are people afraid of getting laid off if they talk on the record about it? Or are afraid of the repercussion them speaking out about it will have for their companies? Seems a little suspicious, right?

Isn't this illegal in the developed world?

True.
Their 12nm does truly seem to be 10% faster like they claimed.
So if their 40% claim is also true, that's a big leap.
Though I can't help but feel that it's more likely it won't really be a 40% faster process until it's had a year or maturity. And that 40% is probably compared to 14nm and not 12nm. So maybe 20% jump in 2019 then another 10% in 2020 is conservative.
20% is still good.

nvidia knows the courts move too slow

by the time they get any fines theyll have made it back tenfold

fuck monopolies

AMD should rename Radeon to Radeon Gaming

It is Nvidia's desperate bid on keeping discrete GPUs relevant to the masses.

They know that AMD and Intel's upcoming iGPUs are about to eat away at mid-range discrete GPUs marketshare (lions share of the discrete market).

because even when amd was king, they weren't cunts

there's a bunch of changes on the arch too, so it's 20% of going from 12nm to 7nm and some IPC as well

nevermind, didn't see you were talking about GPUs

Attached: 1500269299226.jpg (452x523, 22K)

I second that.
>buying an inferior PCB when there's plenty of absolutely overkill and cheap aftermarket coolers

GloFo 12nm is mostly the same size as 14nm. It's just a marketing term.

I know, but it has enough tweaks to no be the exact same thing

Because that would require that the OEM put 2X as much money into marketing and branding. The alternative is that one would receive inferior marketing, or no real marketing at all, which is likely going to be the outcome of this.
Its a monopolistic practice that has no purpose other than to push AMD GPUs out of the market. Its incentivizing companies to basically only sell reference AMD cards while only Nvidia GPUs get name brands and premium treatment.

This is intel level kikery.

Are you that one guy who keeps paying extra for founders edition and then paying even more extra for a competent cooler, then voids the warranty by taking it apart to swap the cooler?

>governments telling companies to pay up for anything
It's like they don't know the actual hierarchy of things.

>INTEL stopped
They actually didn't. They routinely detail their rebate program with OEMs at those investor meetings or w/e. Obviously they don't say "or else" but it's pretty clear

>actually being worried about voiding your warranty
AMD's reference cards aren't actually more expensive and you only have to buy an aftermarket cooler once in your life.
See the absolute most premium cards like Lightning and Kingpin? That's basically the grade of card you end up with both in terms of cooling and PCB.

Attached: SYobo.jpg (400x400, 56K)

Bullshit. They pull new sub-brands out of their ass all the time. Just using Asus 1000-series cards only you have:

Cerberus
Strix
Dual
Expedition
Phoenix
ROG
Turbo

They could quite easily brand their Nvidia cards as ROG and their AMD ones as Cerberus or something. They already do it with motherboards, where Intel gets the Maximus lineup and AMD gets the Crosshair lineup. Both established, top tier brands for each vendor dating back more than a decade at this point.

Niggerbyte rebranded all their high end gay men shit as 'Aorus' overnight not too long ago and still have all their other meme sub-brands like WindForce for lesser models.

Manufacturing defects can happen to anyone.

Either happens immediately or your card will die much later. In the latter case, heat (and/or voltage) are the most likely culprits and that's exactly what you're addressing.

>The way HardOCP puts it in the article
The only quotable material hardOCP has to say about exclusivity is "Gaming Brand Aligned Exclusively With GeForce". Suggesting that a company can only have one gaming brand is purely editorial so far and we have nothing to confirm one or the other.

a partner has to complain first, you want to be the first to complain?

Iv also been thinking a bit on 3dfx, also on people who make heatsinks recently, people keep saying what killed 3dfx was them cutting off 3rd parties, but that's not the case, the issue with that was they were already on the way out at this point, nvidia's 'way it's meant to be played' is stronger then any of their competitions branding. I can honestly see nvidia getting into putting their own cards out.

though amd, we learned that, and this is a between the lines thing between amd and a lesser cooler maker, that if amd put a good cooler on every chip, 3rd parties just would not support them, part of the reason they can get away with the good ones now is because phenom and bulldozer needed good coolers as a minimum, I can see reference designs 1 of 2 ways, 1 is nvidia just doesn't give a shit so whatever runs and isn't god awful, or 2, if they actually put out a good reference many of the third parties will stop with their cards outright.

I think nvidia makes enough that they could very easily just sell their own cards and not take a massive hit long term, then you add in the extra what 1-200$ per card they sell profit margin increase... If they don't want to deal with refurbs, they would need to make the cards good.

someone has to complain first.

After market coolers for GPUs actually aren't a buy-once thing.
The Artic Accelero, the best air cooler of its time, no longer fits newer GPUs.

I've seen people make them fit Vega, but it's ghetto chop jobs and a lot of work.

>putting together 3 feet of plumbing is too much work

/thread, this is what Intel pulled multiple times a decade and half ago