Raspberry Pi

I was looking to build a multimedia box that would be able to access Netflix/Hulu/Etc. and also play my DVDs via USB external DVD player . Was planning on using a Raspberry Pi model B, but I had serious doubts if the Base version has enough processing for that kind of thing. Would I be good with just the base model or would buying the B+ be more ideal.

Also general DIY thread w/ Raspberry Pi’s. What have you guys made? Radda radda

Attached: 377FB474-2CD6-4F91-9386-55C81C0D359E.jpg (1242x1236, 501K)

You really need a 2,3,3B+ for a good experience, and you still probably won't get a good experience with web-based players.

Trust me brother, the pi is a literal piece of fucking unusable shit. Just get a used thinkpad (t420 or older) and you'll have 10x better hardware guaranteed.

EVERYTHING runs through a fucking 20MB/s usb bus, ethernet, wifi, storage. It's a literal nightmare man

>multimedia box that would be able to access Netflix/Hulu/Etc
You're better off going for an android box. Linux doesn't work well with Netflix or Hulu

No, not everything.
SD card runs on SDIO_0
The WiFi runs on SDIO_1
Ethernet is integrated into the USB hub controller.
BT runs on UART (115200 baud)

USB storage will conflict with Ethernet, but you'll get full speed access with WiFi instead of ETH.
SD card and WiFi do not conflict, because they use separate dedicated SDIO hardware.
BT runs on UART, which is why it is particularly flaky, but it doesn't impact performance of anything else.

Netflix uses silverlight, a microsoft proprietary software. Although the 3 does have some balls with a fast enough sdcard and some overclocking with a heatsink, it wont work like what you're thinking. Just buy a used android tablet with hdmi out and flash lineageos. Or, get a roku botnetbox

>No, not everything.
>SD card runs on SDIO_0
>The WiFi runs on SDIO_1
It turns out those are connected to the fucking usb bus. Go watch benchmarks when they put the sd card or wifi on load, usb bus speeds will tank like a motherfucker.

>Ethernet is integrated into the USB hub controller.
Which is absolutely fucking retarded. Ethernet does not perform well even with a shitty usb bus.

>BT runs on UART (115200 baud)
which is AGAIN connected to the fucking usb bus

>USB storage will conflict with Ethernet, but you'll get full speed access with WiFi instead of ETH.
lolno

>SD card and WiFi do not conflict, because they use separate dedicated SDIO hardware.
lol, yes it does

>BT runs on UART, which is why it is particularly flaky, but it doesn't impact performance of anything else.
Only good point. But I think none of this even matters if it all ran off a usb 3.2 gen 2 bus. The cpu is absolute DOGSHIT. I don't think the A53 can even compete with the first pentiums from ww2.

It is still shit. There are better options out there such as used PCs with i3s/i5s & 4Gbs of RAM for sub 100 on ebay/craigslist/goodwill

Why not just a thinkpad, those botnetboxes still sound like shitty options.

>tfw I got a "dead" T400 for $50
turns out only the HDD was missing lmao

You'd be best just buying an old ass used dell desktop for $30 at goodwill and sticking a 1030 in there

Thanks for the info everyone.

This was just a project I had in mind. Didn’t know that everything on the Pi runs through the USB bus. For how much the industry is sucking the Pi’s dick it’s odd that I haven’t heard about this.

With the best Pi and buying a USB DVD drive I might as well just get an older thinkpad. Just really wanted a tiny sleek box that would be able to handle everything for my TV.

>t420
Solid advise there Hawking,
Spending $700 more will get better results.

You want to use the Pi for home automation.

build a miniATX box

OP wants something for under $100 also a thinkpad like the t420 is literally just as powerful as a modern macbook pro.

>something for under $100 also a thinkpad like the t420 is literally just as powerful as a modern macbook pro
And it cost like 800 bucks...

Actually that sounds like the latte panda, look into it.

Attached: Original4.jpg (640x564, 97K)

Well yeah but macbooks constantly overheat and thermal throttle so having 4 cores won't help you when they all throttle to 0.8 GHz.

And they consume more space and power.

More space but not more power. ARM has always been the butt of the performance/watt joke of the world.

>"omg 4 A53s only consume 5 watts max!!"
Yeah and they're 100x weaker

Another option is a cheap atom based tablet/mini pc. It will have a lot more power than a Pi while using less power than a used notebook. Just search for 'windows intel' or similar on aliexpress.

Attached: minipc.jpg (1201x483, 79K)

RPi3B+ owner here, heatsink+OC and Gentoo, youtube 720p60fps no problem,1080p30fps no problem

>Gentoo
arm64 and the open vc4 drivers?

There's Gentoo for ARM?
Honestly as funny as that sounds it also sounds fucking horrific.

Honestly I'd use an amd64 binhost for that.

Pi requires you to buy mp3 codec and is limited to 100mpbs over usb 2.0 interface.

Odroid C2 or Xu4 have gigabit with a seperate controller for the USB and Ethernet busses.
Xu4 even has usb 3.0

The Emmc socket also allows faster I/O flash storage.
Just install Armbian.

it's a 32 bit image to work with the pi2 and nano so it's trash...
Only Suse has a Arm64-bit binary.

Unless you have a fast build machine it'll take years on ARM.

Best use I've found is pihole and a network attached device I can remote into to download stuff while I'm at work.

Other than that It's rubbish for general pc duties.

Hobby stuff great value.

Debian and FreeBSD both support arm64.

is there any way to create a vm of raspbian on my pc, do all the updates, install new software, and then create an image and run it on my rpi? rpi is too fucking slow, that all would take all day

lattepanda comes with windows 10 already compiled and installed. You could run a loonix VM inside it for all the freetard stuff

I want a solution for rpi since it's what I have. I just want to create an image of my VM and copy it to my sdcard and boot it on my rpi

sell rip?

No. RPi distros use board specific kernels.

Just run a twitter bot off mine, haven't have any inspiration since

Pi3 is a meme.

>MicroSD storage is ridiculously slow
>Barely playsback 1080p
>Can only handle very old school console emulators, N64 and PS1 are out of the question

3B+ fixes much of that.

I had the hardest time finding a use for mine that wouldn't be better accomplished by the Xeon server I've got lying around, but I did end up using it for Pihole + DHCP because I'd rather not lose these functions if my server was down for whatever reason. I have been thinking about picking up a 3 B+ to use as a Plex client, though.

Virtualize your desktop in KVM on the Xeon, install SPICE guest utils, and run virt-viewer on the RPi. Stick the Xeon in a basement or other soundproof area and your pi is nice and silent.

don't get a Pi for video anything
you'll be disappointed

I've got a Pi Zero running as a local file server.
performance literally doesn't matter here
also been meaning to set it up to download slow torrents with, the kind of shit where it's like a 20GB file and one guy seeds at like 30kB/s with a couple others occasionally popping in and out

it's very good for things that you want to just fire off and forget

just write a script to install whatever shit on the Pi and let it run unattended

it's cheap as shit and well supported, whether it be by the Pi foundation, accessory manufacturers, distros, etc
it's the slowest modern computer anyone cares about, though
and it's slow as fuck

PS1 works okay on a 3.

>using a rasp pi for anything other than a "better arduino"

Just get an andriod stick, you can even hook a dvd player up to it.

>well yeah

Attached: IMG_q2q0fj.jpg (179x172, 8K)

It's not even the same ballpark as the Arduino

nah, the xeon's headless. interesting idea, though.

You can totally do it on a headless Xeon. I do the same thing.
>install KVM+libvirt
>set up root SSH key access to the Xeon from pi's desktop user
>use virt-manager to create VM with "QXL" video device and virtio disk+NIC, and install desktop stuff (or really just install the virtio drivers and SPICE guest utils if you're using Windows)
>fullscreen console window
>receive thinclient with usable audio and video