/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly search engine, mailing lists...
>b-but what search engines respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
>b-but what e-mail providers respect my privacy and freedom of speech?
Try protonmail or disroot

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Attached: 1520534045314.png (1048x1024, 261K)

Other urls found in this thread:

genode.org
wiki.vifm.info/index.php?title=How_to_preview_images
without-systemd
wiki.winehq.org/Main_Page
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The mouse is acting up in my VMs, if I move it too fast it just kind of jitters in place.
Using QEMU with virt-manager on Arch. It's less noticable if I fullscreen the VM.

Has anyone made themselves a home router from scratch? Especially interested in how you set up and organized iptables (better yet, nftables) rules. Mostly considering doing it because it bothers me that I don't understand networking and firewalling better.

Attached: i still don't know how to use a computer.jpg (987x558, 92K)

Why is KDE so smooth, sleek and responsive while Gnome feels like some laggy Android rom?

I'm trying to install Solus on an external drive (USB 3.1 SSD drive) and I managed to get it installed alright but whenever I boot into it I get this error.
I'm a complete Linux noob btw.

Attached: 20180322_180624.jpg (3771x565, 380K)

so... where's the error? Both those messages are "welp, looks like the filesystem's okay and we don't have to check it"

It never goes anywhere. I've left it for over 15 minutes several times. Could It just be drive/interface speed?

Good thread.

How long are you waiting before you freak out? I see this everytime I boot and everything is fully functional.

Good post.

install gentoo

KDE is shit and their ecosystem is the worst. Why do I need kwallet if I want a tag editor?

And also, what's a good non-bloat tag editor? ncmpcpp doesn't show all tags, which is a shame.

then something's failing after that but not printing a message about it. Go into GRUB's advanced options and if either "quiet" or "splash" parameters are present, boot without them. That probably won't make it boot, but it should give you more information on what's fucking up.

I would just like to interject for one moment. The operating system you are suggesting for me to install, and rather commandingly might I add, will in fact, not directly solve my current problem at hand, and will actually cause me to ask further questions about the difficult process involved in installing it. Gentoo is a very nice operating system itself, but I'd rather you directly assist me in my quest to solve my current predicament.

I understand that many computer users run the Gentoo Linux operating system, and I realize they may enjoy it greatly and are not currently experiencing the current problem that I have whilst using my non-Gentoo operating system. Through a peculiar turn of events, I have noticed an enormous amount of users make the "Install Gentoo" suggestion, but many of its users are not aware that this suggestion, in most cases, is actually not an "easy-fix" to every single computer-related error.

There really are reasons for installing Gentoo, and there are people using it, but it is just for the few users who choose to compile their own source code locally according to their chosen configuration. Gentoo is just another operating system: the problems I am experiencing will not undeviatingly be solved if I make the choice to install it. All these so-called "Install Gentoo" suggestions I am noticing should cease immediately.

Attached: 1520286656525.png (293x270, 41K)

Hello, I'm about to install ElementaryOS and I'd like to completely wipe all drives, everything, and restore my laptop exactly to the state at which i bought the laptop before doing this, to remove any and all possible viruses. Can this be achieved by installing eOS and uninstalling windows, or do i have to do something else before hand. If so, what would I have to do?

I think I managed to disable the quiet/splash parameters. Now I'm just hanging at this screen.
Thanks for the help anyways.

Attached: 20180322_184557.jpg (3899x2204, 1.63M)

Dude use ANYTHING but eos. Srsly.

I've used easytag forever.

well you could try seeing if you can boot in single-user mode. If you can, then you can look at journalctl from the previous (hung) boot. If you can't even get to single-user mode, then you're hosed. At least with that configuration - I'd first suspect some deficiency in USB 3.1 support, and try installing to and booting from a 3.0 or 2.0 port and storage device.

(remember in GRUB where you removed the "quiet" option? Add "single" there to try single-user mode)

install Gentoo

Why is my hwclock messed up? It's 4 hours behind my localtime (EST)

Running hwclock --debug gives

hwclock from util-linux 2.31.1

System Time: 1521752073.554088

Trying to open: /dev/rtc0

No usable clock interface found.

hwclock: Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.

In my /etc/rc.conf my I have HARDWARECLOCK="RTC" and doing cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource shows it's using tsc (available_clocksource shows tsc hpet and acpi_pm). What's going on? Normally it wouldn't be a problem but now I'm having issues connecting to a bunch of websites because of certificates that aren't valid until the future for me. I have to use my phone because I can't solve captchas in the past either.

Attached: HR_8799_Orbiting_Exoplanets.gif (720x720, 980K)

please educate me, what do i use

r8 my linux

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-03-22 22-20-50.png (1366x768, 182K)

looks autistic

Attached: 1518136815226.jpg (680x649, 55K)

Are you 12 or 13?

tyvm

>Are you 12 or 13?
32 :^)

Are you root?

I have 1GHz netbook + 2GB ram... Windows 7/10 struggle, so I'm looking for a minimal linux distro.
I got recommended Xubuntu though. What about Debian? It has always appealed to me I dunno why.
What about Devuan?

Pls spoonfeed this filthy newfag unworthy of your glorious shitposting.

Attached: 1500738256358.png (620x500, 352K)

When I log in? No, but I used sudo when I did hwclock --debug

Debian is good. I used to use #! on my netbook and it worked fine. I think the continuation of that project is called Bunsen Labs.

Check this shit out, you fags. The VM host is a good 2000 miles away and even audio and fancy graphical effects are only a little distorted due to network lag.

Attached: yodawg.png (3840x1200, 2.43M)

>netbook
Debian netinstall (or Arch) and a tiling WM will do you a world of good.

Debian is missing some important drivers for e.g. most wifi cards by default, I wouldn't recommend it for total beginners. Try Lubuntu.

That really shouldn't be a problem on netbooks. Damn near every one of them came with Atheros or Realtek, which should work OOTB.

try adding 'nomodeset' to the parameters.
are you using a new or proprietary graphics card?

Let's just hope that he doesn't have a GMA 500 or 600, lel

In that case he's better off with fucking XP, so here's hoping.

Is it possible to have mupdf open in the same window as the terminal calling it? Failing that, is it possible to have an i3 workspace with one terminal taking up the left half of the screen, and a second terminal and mupdf stacked in the right half? I'm using the left terminal for vim and the right terminal for pandoc/mupdf of the doc I'm working on, but I'm getting tired of closing, opening and resizing mupdf all the time.

Press mod4+v to split a workspace vertically. Then just open your next program and it will do what you want.

Even then it still stacks all three windows. I only want to stack the two windows on the right side.

How the fuck do you mess this up? This is very, very simple stuff. Start with a blank workspace.
Mod4-RET to spawn a terminal.
Mod4-l to move one column to the right.
Mod4-RET to spawn another terminal.
Mod4-v to split vertically.
Now in that right hand terminal execute "mupdf" and it should spawn in the bottom right quarter.

try using AwesomeWM it will do what you want right out of the box

Attached: gf-oldfag.png (535x539, 49K)

YERRRR I'M DRIVIN' DOWN THE ROAD AND THERE'S A TRUUUUCK
GONNA FLIP HIM OFF

Ah, I didn't realize you need to split vertically THEN stack.

My network adapter is a Qualcomm Atheros AR5B125, so there shouldn't be any problem, right?
I highly doubt it.
I don't want to install the easiest fucking distro ever. I wanna have to fight it to be able to install some shit or to solve problems myself cause I wanna learn bash and linux. I only used linux once, years ago, when I had to install it on VMWare for school stuff and install some random stuff, but I don't remember anything. It's okay, I'll manage.
Of course, I do need for my network adapter to work from the getgo cause I need it to google and solve problems.
So: a debian distro or devuan (which is a fork from debian anyways)?

Also, if I try to reallocate space in my hard drive (as in move the free space of my disk to unallocated space so I can make new partitions) will systemrescueCD (and whatever program it uses for partitions, which I don't remember anymore) fuck the current files I have in my system?
My current windows OS won't let me move it.

That's supported by the mainline ath5k module. Debian should justwerk OOTB. If it doesn't, Arch will.

Resizing and reallocating free space in NTFS is dicey. If your Windows install won't let you do it, I'd honestly just stick a ~32GB USB stick into the thing and boot from that rather than messing with a Windows install that doesn't want to shrink.

Attached: change.png (500x2000, 352K)

Well, I am looking for a solution here. I wanna install Linux on my PC, not just use it from boot CDs, but I don't have an external drive to move everything to before formatting.
Maybe I could get a 32 GB USB stick and try to save as much important stuff as I want since anyways it's not much stuff that I have and my hard drive's currently 500GB max anyway (and not full).

I just wanted not to spend any money on it... Since I'm getting a new PC soon.

>I wanna have to fight it to be able to install some shit or to solve problems myself cause I wanna learn bash and linux.
You won't learn much by typing in some random commands from a wiki. What is likely to happen though is that you will get more and more frustrated over bullshit that is already a non-problem in almost every normal distro.
Especially likely to happen with Arch since their install guide expects you to actually be familiar with what you're doing
Basically: Install debian, it's straightforward except for the boot-loader part. Make sure to select the internal HDD at that step, not your usb stick or something
>Also, if I try to reallocate space in my hard drive (as in move the free space of my disk to unallocated space so I can make new partitions) will systemrescueCD (and whatever program it uses for partitions, which I don't remember anymore) fuck the current files I have in my system?
Not really, unless you do something stupid like not waiting until the process is finished

Windows normally lets you shrink NTFS partitions if the end of the partition is empty. Grab UltraDefrag (FOSS tool) and see if you can claw back some more contiguous free space at the end of the partition.

>no Arsch linux
>no haiku
>no templeOS
>no openindiana (it's literally called "hipster" for fucks sake)
>no Toaru OS

>no Genode
genode.org

What do you think about openSUSE?
Can you trust the germans?

>19 posters
>55 replies
kek

It's fucking garbage on arm64/aarch64 compared to Debian, even when literally preinstalled from the factory. I bought a Softiron Overdrive 1000 and it's been 10x as useful after nuking the default install and putting Debian 9 on it.

Slow but werks
Not the first choice for ricers

It is good, YaST is cool, but systemD and other poettering crapware makes me sad.
Why they can't ditch Gnome and use KDE or XFCE or LXQT?

Maybe I should make a fork of OpenSUSE without systemd and shit? And call it OpenSUSE-D

nvm I just saw how big the iso is.
how is portage? I've read several times that portage gives the best package management experience. Can you confirm?

Portage gives you very good, very fine grained package management, at the cost of needing to build most things from source.

I think I've finally found it guys
I think I'm going to settle down. For a while at least
Hyperbola GNU/Linux is perfection

>at the cost of needing to build most things from source
does that mean it might not be the best idea to use on my laptop with a Pentium 2020M?

As someone who just yesterday attempted a gentoo install on an Intel Atom, go with a binary-based distribution to use on small hardware like that

Ivy Bridge Pentium? You'll be fine. It only really started sucking on something like a netbook or a C2D.

Kinda OK, sandy bridge pentium is OK.

ivy bridge pentium yes.
now is there a notable difference between gentoo and funtoo?
am i missing out on something if not using funtoo?

Gentoo is larger and better supported, and more Sup Forumsentoomen will be able to help you. Funtoo started over admin/maintainer drama and isn't really significantly different.

Aight, Gentoo it is then. I'll start installing when I wake up, since I've read that it could take me a day to set up. Thanks for helping a noob out.

I am trying vifm and want image previews. Somewhat works but the size is messed up, I copied from wiki.vifm.info/index.php?title=How_to_preview_images but can't get to display properly.

I think I got FONTW and FONTH wrong but I dont know how to get the size of one terminal row and one terminal column.

Tired of SystemD garbage.
What distro can you recommend, but Gentoo?
I like KDE very much by the way.

You could install arch and replace SystemD and install KDE.
If that's not your style, check here:
without-systemd
.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Linux_distributions

Read this post.I have been on the same quest of finding a decent binary-based distro free of systemd. Google "without systemd" there is a decent wiki page.
Aside from that, I reccomend what is saying except install Hyperbola and then add nonfree software if you do wish

I don't want bothering with removing this Guatemalan backdoor.

Hyperbola is basically a libre version of Arch sans systemd, by the way

pic related is me adding nonfree pacman mirrors to hyperbola

Attached: 2018-03-23-000936_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 154K)

Nice wiki tho. I think I'll stick with LFS this time for sure.
Also I've tried Alpine, it was cool, but I felt like I was doing something wrong by installing Router OS on PC. And I didn't liked how it divided disk :\
Not bad.

I know the question might sound stupid, but what font is the terminal?

it's called terminus. It's usually in a package named terminus-font

Thanks man.

im a newbie, why do people hate systemd?

Memes mostly.

Looking to go into Linux to get that experience for jobs. Maybe make the full conversion if I turn out to be that kinda guy.

What distro should I get if I wanna keep my steam library, but is also a good everyday productivity? Don't mind a learning curve, and programming compatibility is a plus as I want to be a software engineer by the end of college.

Sorry for noob ?s.

$ echo $((37/60))
How disappointing.
$ echo "37/60" | bc -l
Better.
Nevertheless... I am interested in producing a moderately accurate result using the $((arithmetic)) notation.
Help?

Attached: ylylyl.jpg (344x4187, 224K)

Attached: 1445620233561.jpg (540x527, 22K)

No Linux distro can play 100% of Windows games and likely never will.

1. Runs as PID 1, thus if it crashes users will blame Linux kernel, because it will panic
2. It was written by Guatemalan, so it is even worse, than Pajeet. Can be backdoored easily.
3. Memory leaks. More daemons - more leaks. (Usual leak is about 50-100 mb on fully booted system. Windows XP could work on that wasted memory)
4. Stupid developers (i.e. Gnome) uses specific functions of systemd, so you can't run a gnome without system d.
5. Unstable. Can brick your UEFI. Yes Poottering, it is your fault for writing rm / (fucking space) etc... -rf, not UEFI manufacturer.

try ubuntu, most games run through WINE but there are games that play natively through steam, aka csgo, dota 2.

I have 2 ssds, one linux, one windows. both connected to my PC and i boot into whichever one I want. both OS's csgo and dota installed and work fine.

because it wants to become everything in your system and not just an init

Attached: hungry hungry init.gif (480x320, 3.52M)

How reliable is WINE? Does it cause any performance issues?

non-faggots use OpenBSD

Attached: fried-chickenmelon.jpg (498x710, 93K)

No. Depends on the game. Search your most played games and if they work then go for it, i'd suggest a VM first and install random shit and get used to a linux OS before jumping on the deep end. Don't use arch for a first OS either, I did that and it was nightmare fuel. Xubuntu, Fedora, Debian and maybe manjaro. But distros mean nothing, it's all preference. Try a few of the popular ones out like the ones listed above and make your choice.

wiki.winehq.org/Main_Page

So I'm going to school with intent to become a DBA, and was wondering. I'm tinkering with Fedora 27, but I've been playing with the idea of getting RHEL 7. Is RHEL worth the $50 to upgrade past Fedora? I already have Win10Ent so as far as windows dependent tasks I'm good on that. I just want a nice linux system that I can rely on for my laptop, that I can also use for labs, or even later on for work.

my arch install doesn't have any problems
how should I break it to give myself something to do? I hate it when everything works properly

rm -rf

uh, user? what should I put in the arguments?

Fedora has newer packages than RHEL. If you want free RHEL get CentOS.

ya mum is a drongo

I don't mind paying for RHEL, as long as I get something for the money.
I've used CentOS in the past, has it gotten more usable because I recall it kinda having the worst of Fedora and RHEL in one package.