Why isn't rock music as popular as it was before...

Why isn't rock music as popular as it was before? even in the 90's rock music was still very popular but now it's more of an underground thing.

Lack of white hegemony in the media. It's a good thing.

Rap

Rock stopped being rebellious since the kids of the 90s had parents who already loved rock. That's why people listen to rap now.

>Rock stopped being rebellious since the kids of the 70s had parents who already loved rock. That's why people listen to disco now.

/thread

Why isn't jazz still popular?

PANDA PANDA PANDA

kids of the 70s listened to metal like black sabbath, too dark and edgy for their elvis parents

Same reason Jazz died. It stopped being fun. Everything had to be dark and brooding and serious or experimentally weird; otherwise, it got panned by critics.

Meanwhile, hip-hop is inherently simple and fun to listen to. People don't want to be sad or angry when they grind on each other and get shitfaced.

because music as art isn't popular. What you get on tv and the radio is empty lowest common denominator bullshit Before the internet and file sharing, some of the music being pushed by 'the man' was actually decent because they could actually still make money off of it

Now, only troglodytes will pay money for a computer file, so Taylor Swift and Kanye (lowest common denominator bullshit) are what you get

You guys are all wrong. It's mainly due to the fact that creating music through software is a hell of a lot cheaper. Pop music, especially hip-hop, adopted the use of digital audio workshops. It's now less about raw talent and now about having ghost producers who can do the dirty work for you.

Hip hop works better as a form of social music, and rock is pretty played out. Making rock in 2016 is pretty much like fucking a corpse.

Rock is dead and no one cares

niche communitys are great its better this way

>Why isn't jazz still popular?
Big labels paid payola to rock and roll in a ultra agressive way.

Many complained about rock and roll and nothing was done, because radio music is not about what people want, or labels profit (or they would be making music for adults that can pay for albums without asking money from parents and that have a smaller change to know how to pirate an album)

but theres new things coming out of rock and is still being experimented with so your point is void

Billy killed rock

>It's a good thing.

if there is a hell I'll see you there

Billy was totally sold on the "rock is dead" thing in the late 90's, then he totally turned into "why don't you kids like the rock anymore?"

Go back to middle school ya dingus

pretty much this

>Why isn't rock music as popular as it was before?
Because it's underground again. The mainstream media does not want to push something that gives white people a voice when they're jewish.

Which means - it's only a matter of time.

Infact local gigs are filling up again.

>Same reason Jazz died. It stopped being fun.
Stupid, it's still more fun than EDM because gigs are always better than pinging to bloops.

Because most new "rock" bands are filled with nu-males beta cucks and that isnt rebellious.

I don't understand why rock has to be rebellious to some people. I agree that the "indie" sort of band is just as bad but rebellion and butt indie are just opposite sides of the same horrible coin

The music doesn't need to be labelled with some image or aesthetic

>Because most new "rock" bands are filled with nu-males beta cucks and that isnt rebellious.
So much this.

I try to start a band and they literally say "that's too heavy" or "that's too intolerant"

No seriously, I had that happen once.

Makes me want to get some nazi musicians and make a moonman band.

>The music doesn't need to be labelled with some image or aesthetic

fucking this fám

if it sounds good it's good. no need for any image bullshit or rebellious bullshit

>Making rock in 2016 is pretty much like fucking a corpse.

That's pretty metal.

>I don't understand why rock has to be rebellious to some people
Because it just does.

It needs that angst, that's the one thing EDM sucks at doing. Especially violent angst.

>I try to start a band and they literally say "that's too heavy" or "that's too intolerant"
>No seriously, I had that happen once.
>Makes me want to get some nazi musicians and make a moonman band.
Please live in Manchester England.
I'm down. We have to wear masks on stage so we don't get doxed though.

Klan hoods?

rock being underground is a fucking good thing IMO, gives room to innovate and for it to be counter-culture again like punk was.

this is so embarrassing

Because the world is good for the most part and teenagers don't have anything to rebel against.

Get fucked hippy.

Times change. Maybe sometime in the next few years there will be some sort of rock revival in the mainstream, there's no way to know until it happens.

Yes because all the tough, angry mainstream rock bands on every alt-rock station in the 00s were so much better than wimpy beta shit

The whole SJW movement of the 2010s was what caused alternative rock in general to completely lose its balls. These days you turn on an alternative station and hear Mumford and Sons or 21 Pilots.

It's just not popular in the sense that it's not having smash hits on billboard anymore, but who cares?

You have the internet

If you want to listen to something, anything, just google it. You don't need radio or MTV or anything to get access to the kind of music you want to hear anymore, so who cares if it's not no.1 on billboard?

We need the 90s back.

yep

Agreed. Just saying that nu-males is a buzzword because the opposite of nu-males were dominant during the worst era of radio rock music

literally thought of that when I read the original post

Buttrock still exists, it's just been moved to mainstream rock stations. Meanwhile alternative stations get stuck with all the pansy shit. There's literally no happy medium anymore.

>that's the one thing EDM sucks at doing. Especially violent angst.

Ok, what is industrial and digital hardcore then?

this

The Jews push nigger music

manchester is full of indie bands, be a good cuck and follow the crowd

Unless you move to Perth (Aus), no chance.

I got a few musicians interested, even a chick.

We "take the piss" to extremes. Got an Impala-esque sound but way heavier and scathingly critical of society.

>Ok, what is industrial and digital hardcore then?
Industrial is not pop unless you include industrial rock.

Sorry I forgot to say, it has to be like alt. rock - aiming for success to spread a message.

I'm done with the "I do it for the music" bullshit, why can't you do it for the message and the community?

Because rock musicians quit giving a shit about making an impact. They care more about credibility and status among peers than legacy. Which is fine, but things are going to stay stagnant this way. We're never going to have another rock band that changes the world. You may have made 10/10 experimental rock album that Pitchfork and Sup Forums love, but if you're only making it for a niche market than is anybody even going to give a shit in 50 years? Did it even fucking matter? In order for things to move forward from here there needs to be a band that can bridge the gap between mainstream and underground audiences as well as do something completely new.

As a consumer and somebody that's in the know of all different kinds of bands and artists, I feel great. I'm getting tons of great music still, but the future looks kind of bleak.

There's more than two sides here. Chads and overly macho dudebros are always gonna make shitty rock music. I'm sorry, but it's true. Every good rock band embraces the feminine. Even if you're not gay, you have to be a little gay.

You can be rebellious and not be a fucking macho douche.

>Even if you're not gay, you have to be a little gay.
being flamboyant =/= being a fag

all this rant about "rock is dead", then how the fuck do you explain new rock bands still putting out shit and becoming famous?

What I'm saying is you have to do shit that will make other guys call you fag. I'm not saying you have to literally suck a cock.

Because rock started limiting itself. When was the last time you saw a band trying to make a serious artistic statement that wasn't brooking as fuck? When was the last time you saw a band make a heavy song without being a bunch of annoying dudebros?

If you're not sad, or brooding, if you dare to put any energy into your music you're a sellout and ridiculous. And the ones who actually put some guts into it all play shitty 3 chord buttrock, because we've been in this loop for 20 years.

That's why I can't bring myself to hate muse: I hate their music, but shit, at least they're not afraid of doing ridiculous shit and putting their heart to it. If a good band could do what Muse is doing then rock would be alive and well.