GNU/Linux now runs games better at a higher framerate than Windows. That's right: GNU/Linux is the best PC gaming OS

GNU/Linux now runs games better at a higher framerate than Windows. That's right: GNU/Linux is the best PC gaming OS.

Wintoddlers BTFO. It's over, Microsoft will soon be Bankrupt And Finished!! (ignoring the minor detail of there being a lot more XBoxes than there are GNU/Linux computers and also ignoring that the vast majority of games only run on Windows)

The difference is specially noticeable on the AMD side where phoronix compared the free AMD driver on Linux with AMDs own driver on the Wintendo. Kind of interesting that a free driver made by a bunch of hippies in their spare time is better than AMDs own driver on Windows - specially when it comes to 4k OpenGL.

Attached: linux-is-better.jpg (1029x852, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=34e_lSDJ6gc
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=win10-ubuntu-gpufresh&num=1
github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu
youtu.be/34e_lSDJ6gc,
cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=ccc64f313398fbfa025db9a09b9d980ac0ff7415&utm_source=anzwix
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Even if there were no games for Window, I would still use windows. Gaming is for children.

Maybe the FPS is higher but it looks a lot worse on OpenGL than on directx...

AMD write mental competente drivers for GCN on Linux.

>game that literally no one heard of

Perhaps. You can't really compare the two since there's no directx on GNU/Linux. phoronix tested those games that run on both Windows and GNU/Linux and compared the frame-times (not quality of those frames, though) so it would only be possible to test OpenGL or Vulkan games.

Attached: microsoft-is-bankrupt-and-finished.jpg (1029x850, 89K)

>superposition is a fun game.
Windows btfo.
>Kind of interesting that a free driver made by a bunch of hippies in their spare time is better than AMDs own driver on Windows
Literally amd's fault.
>game that literally no one heard of
It's not even a game. Just a benchmark.

Fuck if more games were actually available on linux natively (or just the handful of games that I personally still like) then this would be interesting.

haha I was going to post this

How will windows ever recover?

Attached: btfo.png (1198x998, 89K)

dxvk
Look it up

Shit just got real
youtube.com/watch?v=34e_lSDJ6gc

>Kind of interesting that a free driver made by a bunch of hippies in their spare time is better than AMDs own driver on Windows
where does it say this isn't the closed source driver?

>Vega 64
So Linux is still useless for games then?

Radeonsi is primarily developed by AMD, stop spreading misinformation.
And all this test really shows, is just how broken AMD's OpenGL driver is on Windows, which is something everybody already knew.
Now what would be interesting, is comparing Radeonsi to AMD's DirectX driver on Windows to see how far apart, or how close they are now

>I have gaymes, but not a screen recorder that actually works
welcome to the linucks world

>GNU/Linux is the best PC gaming OS
said nobody ever.

Their open source driver can go head to head with the kind of performance nvidia gets.

SHIT IS HEATING UP
MESA 18 IS ON THE WAY

Attached: 1521548310382.jpg (500x375, 62K)

this

games run better on one platform over another because of how developers code the game itself. it has nothing to do with which platform is actually superior. a library call isn't going to be suddenly better in linux.

>What is OBS?
>What is FFMPEG?

>bioshock
Yea man all the good games are on linux now.
>192 fps
How many of those frames were tear free though?

It's like saying Nvidia cards produce better looking picture than AMD cards - not unless you use different settings, at which point comparison is not valid.

He's using OBS with nvidia frame capture and GPU encoding.
It's actually quite good but he has some trouble with his audio that I don't see on any other dxvk video.

Compiling it now.

Attached: e28.jpg (352x338, 107K)

have you actually watched the video? the audio is all garbled up. he's using obs (literally the only option)

GNU/Linux beats Windows pretty solidly in Bioshock Infinite at 4k but how much is a bit amazing, the RX 580 on Ubuntu is close to on-par with the Vega 64 on Windows.

>With the Radeon RX 580 and RX Vega 64 they were tested on Windows 10 using this week's Radeon Software Adrenalin 18.3.3 release. Of course, under Linux the driver stack was Mesa 18.1-devel as of this week built against the LLVM 7.0 SVN AMDGPU back-end as shipped by the Padoka PPA. The kernel was the current DRM-Next AMDGPU state for what will be shipped in the upcoming Linux 4.17 driver cycle.

Just face it, more frames is better and GNU/Linux offers more frames. All we need is the right major AAA title and the nations will accept the GNU World Order.

>a library call isn't going to be suddenly better in linux.
Oh, but it is going to be better. OpenGL is a huge library of APIs that are implemented differently in MESA and AMDs closed drivers and NVidias closed drivers. A whole lot of work and a variety of improvements is why MESA OpenGL is a lot faster today compared to performance on the same hardware 2 years ago.

>Just face it, more frames is better and GNU/Linux offers more frames.
Not if it tears, or looks like shit.
>All we need is the right major AAA title and the nations will accept the GNU World Order.
Agreed, also need to fix screen tearing in games.

Supposedly Freesync works on Linux, but I couldn't get it to work for some reason. Either way most people aren't competive enough to care about the minute input lag added by vsync. Would be interested in a lag test between OpenGL buffering and DirectX render ahead.

Winbabies BTFO

>posts a benchmark

>GNU/Linux now runs games better at a higher framerate than Windows.
No, it doesn't. I game on linux because I'm forced to. My gf has a worse graphics card than mine in her pc and in every game we can play together, she consistently gets better performance than me, no matter the choice in drivers or wine vs native linux on my machine. I prefer a ps4 over a linux pc for gaming any day. A ps4 makes use of what shitty graphics power it has. Linux wastes the graphics power of a good setup

So Lunyx is best at running ganes. Great. How come Morrowind, Fallout 3 and Jade Dynasty won't install?

minimum frames are abysmal on linshit

There is another truth that can be said about this thread.

AMD is fucking shit at writing drivers.
When a bunch of literal penguins pecking the keyboard can come up with a driver that is literally twice the speed, it's time to give up.

GNU/Linux is fucking shit at graphics subsystems.

>now
For DX9 it's been like that for ~4 years and it's only getting better over time whilst Windows DX9 performance (ESPECIALLY ON AMD) has gone down the toilet.

Actually, the FOSS AMD drivers are ~70% written by AMD themselves, but they're a different group to the Windows guys (who were/are responsible for Catalyst on Linux and FGLRX before that)

David Arlie and John Brigham are legends.

Thought it's been like this for a while, probably not a true performance comparison but I was getting 60fps in most ShaderToy demos under Linux with NVidia's non-free drivers, and only 30fps at best running the same demo under Windows 7, both using Firefox.

>Supposedly Freesync works on Linux
Yes and no. :) The amdgpu kernel driver DOES support Freesync now but only from kernel 4.15 and later and only if you use the newer DAL/DC version which is only enabled for non-Vega cards by default as of now. This is also required for HDMI audio and HDMI 2.0 (required for 4k at 60hz). It can be enabled by adding the kernel boot parameter amdgpu.dc=1

If you're on something like Fedora or Arch then you can enable Freesync and it does work, if your distribution ships an older kernel then you can't. And it's not enabled out of the box for most GPUs.

>My gf
You have a gf. Stop complaining. Do something nice for her, give her some attention and show that you care instead of wasting your time on Sup Forums and games.

I'm on Arch but I only have a Vega card so that must be why it won't work. I wanted to try AMDGPU-PRO but that uses 4.9 and I really don't want to roll back that far on Arch. What's weird is I did what AMD said, 'DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --prop,' and my display didn't say anything about Freesync. I figured that it would at least say something even if I couldn't enable it.

Once gaming become mainstream in linux. Windows will shut down completely.

>GTX 1060
>37 FPS

>RX Vega 64
>18 FPS

Attached: 1461810094819.jpg (497x800, 355K)

You forgot Alex. That guy is behind a lot of the optimisation work

Vega won't be enabled for a long time since real vega drivers aren't out yet with the exception of the iMacPro.
The APU drivers are closer to real Vega drivers than anything else but are modified so they actually work where the real drivers don't.
Desktop Vega is using modified Fiji drivers on Windows/Catalyst on Linux.

>not if it tears
I've only seen tearing on windows, while linux games never have tearing on my PC. They should tear just as much though (afaik), but the point is that Linux is more power efficient.

>amd

wew lad those frame dips tho

Based AMDGPU/Mesa/radeonsi devs. Seriously, the quality of the drivers have improved so much in the last years, and it's all free software.

Tearing is caused by the framerate of a game not matching with the screens refresh rate, it has nothing to do with Linux or Windows or their API. When the game is running at a higher framerate than the screen can display, it can send a frame during the scanout phase of the monitor creating a split frame, where the top half is one frame and the 2nd is another. This is defeated with vsync, Freesync/Gsync, or by simply running the game at a high enough framerate that you can't see the tears. (For example running a game at 240fps will still theoretically have tearing, but the difference between the two individual frames is so small that you can't see it.) If you're not seeing tearing in Linux it means you either have vsync on, or you need to allow applications to disable the compositor in your system settings.

This only proves that AMD sucks at making drivers. And any decent gamer will use Nvidia instead, so this study is completely useless.

>AMD sucks at making drivers
why don't they make it open source and let autists help them

AMD drivers are open source.

nVidia sucks even more. Their hardware breaks the Linux system in many cases.

>AMD drivers are open source
show me the source code then
the windows driver, not the linux

Try playing a Denuvo game.

Min max? What about average?

>thread about GNU/Linux
>hurr durr show me the Windows code
Are you braindead?

Linux is not actually more power efficient.
Laptop battery life tends to around half that of Windows.
Linux does stupid shit like re-drawing the desktop every frame 60fps even when nothing has changed.

the peak of linux gaming

Attached: Tux_Racer_Cover.jpg (239x300, 49K)

>Laptop battery life tends to around half that of Windows.
>source: my ass
My battery life improved by 40% when moving to Linux from W10.

Because you had a lot of bloatware running in the background on Win10.

Source is not my ass. Fucking google it.

You can greatly increase Linux battery life with lots of tweaks, but on a fresh install it's well beyond Windows. And you can never get Linux quite as good as Windows unless you do a lot of custom work beyond config tweaks.

>AMD DRIVERS ARE OPEN SORES
>prove it
>W-WELL... ACTUALLY THEY A-AREN'T OPEN SORES...

Attached: 1440305009305.png (1000x1000, 53K)

github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/master/drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu

The thread is about GNU/Linux, but you extended the claim to Windows too in an attempt to move the goalposts. Fuck off.

Now gayming is for children.

Blame ACPI which is basically an intel/ms deal against competitors.

youre insanely wrong, holy fuck how could you be so dumb
windows has much larger overhead than linux

noone cares about linux
if the windows version is not open source than it's not open source at all

Seems like some asylum have internet connections.

>GNU/Linux thread
>MUH WINDOWS

Attached: 1505161510250.png (645x729, 56K)

linux defence force in full action
just face it
no windows version = dead in the water

Have a (You) for the effort.

how many features were not working under linux?

>because you had a lot of bloatware
It was a clean install.

Keep posting please.

imagine being this sad of a person

It's not and never will be GNU/Linux.

It's just Linux. Now and forever.

related shitposting: is dx12 as dead as it seems to be? i've heard about couple microsoft-owned dx12 vidya released some time ago and that's it, meanwhile vulkan had some mobile stuff, some big pc titles (new doom, i think?), some basic social acceptance

i'd love to see directx a bit more dead, for sake of more multiplatform, lower-level, more 'free' stuff like vulkan

Dx is dead on arrival. Vulkan is just better and is cross platform.

Now we just need good native versions of games that are available outside of steam and not half assed dx-opengl ports.
Overall I'm happy with the progress of Linux gaming on gog, but the lack of multiplayer sucks in most DRM free games

Windows 10 is bloated out of the box.

It also works on the last good Windows.

Vulkan runs on Windows 95?

you mean xp?

>Gaming is for children.
Where do you think you are?

It's dead outside of Microsoft published titles, yes.
Vulkan is just plain better.
Though it's interesting to see some OpenGL games actually running better than some Vulkan games on Linux with the new AMD drivers, I imagine that's due to their Vulkan rendering pipeline being drop in for dx11.

And to:
this:

lol no. stay mad windows pleb

Call me when I can play anything worth playing on Shitnux.

Not like it's any better off on the Nvidia side with a 1060 and 1080 Ti posting the same result. Seems like a trash game that's optimised like shit.

>gayming is for children
>uses windows
kys

>barely any difference for Nvidia
>Linux probably doesn't work with g-sync
>Almost every game I play would have to be ran in wine probably giving worse performance than native Windows
This is fucking hell I want to switch and this is the only thing holding me back.

Valve should acquire Wine and incorporate it into Steam.

except for the fact that it is nvidia which is known to reduce picture quality to ramp up fps. Because autists just push everything to ultra and stare at fps numbers instead of tweaking settings and can't even appreciate picture quality.

mpv youtu.be/34e_lSDJ6gc, fixed it for you user

a clean install of windows is bloated as fuck

>winDOS
Take off your nostalgia goggles, it was unstable garbage.

A penguin inside AMD is still a penguin.

Loss of performance is pretty minimal now.

Wine, however, allows you to containerize your games.

You can take your specially modded video game prefix to whatever PC has a GPU and wine installed and just run it.

It's fucking magical not to have to mod dark souls 1 in it's peculiar order or else the game crashes on startup and you have to wipe and redo.

Just extract my TAR file, steam syncs, and I play.

Good. Shit.
Never throw out your working wine prefixes.

Attached: 1516001713236.png (1280x1446, 783K)

It's free as in freedom.

Immortal code is being written at breakneck speeds and my GPU gets a buff every month.
This is fucking nice, mane.

Attached: 1513392230818.jpg (1501x1096, 461K)

How true is this? Is it opengl vs directx? Is it windows vs wine?

>ubuntu
>min: 19
>min 18

whew lad

It's true. Games are running native on both platforms. Details here,
it doesn't say if it's directx or what for all games on Windows but the article does say OpenGL where it says what's used on Windows so my guess is it's OpenGL. It's OpenGL on GNU/Linux in all cases since these aren't Vulkan games and there's no directx.

Attached: itstrue.png (1251x1050, 93K)

Damn. Guess ill be playing games on my Linux partition when I can native. Valve always said opengl can be faster than directx, its about fucking time

>Valve
It's not shocking that they would say that and there's a minor detail reason to be a bit skeptical. Part of the reason MESA is so good at both OpenGL and Vulkan these days is .. examples like this:
cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=ccc64f313398fbfa025db9a09b9d980ac0ff7415&utm_source=anzwix
Samuel Pitoiset who wrote that patch is part of a team of five people Valve has working full-time on the GNU/Linux graphics driver stack. This makes total sense given that Microsoft is pushing their own little app-store in Windows and are locking out third party executable with their Windows 10S. Think about it, why do you need steam when there's Windows app-store?

Ok, so could I be spoonfed on what you actually need to do to run games on a Linux distro ? Which distro, how to setup Wine, etc...
If there is something on the wiki, I've missed it.