What is the point of studying calculus in CS ? and what are the most important applications of it?

What is the point of studying calculus in CS ? and what are the most important applications of it?

Attached: 1KMWL5g.png (452x466, 341K)

weed out the brainlets

As far as I remember, some algorithm proofs can only be done with calculus. That's about it though

For you? No point. But some of the smarter kids might use it later.

you might need it if you go into scientific computing

I needed it tot take stats I think, I've used it very very little throughput my degree. I'm sure there's an area of CS that uses it though.
It's kind of funny, my Uni made a new CS degree that involves no math courses that runs along side the classic CS degree. Some of our classes overlapped from the normal CS and the new CS, the people in the new CS are always brainlets who don't even know how to do proper citations. Even if it has no purpose math should be mandatory to keep these people out

So you can calculate the rate of increase of customer outrage when they find out your website is a botnet.

Attached: zuck.jpg (1190x595, 133K)

it's fun
literally cant prove me wrong without being a brainlet

Attached: a62.png (680x661, 262K)

He didnt invent calculus though.

And most of what he wrote is about Alchemy.

leibniz pls go

It is in the Anglos blood to steal what other peoples have created.

rope yourself Crow-Mother-Spirit

To keep the S in "CS".
Also this

because CS still hasn't surpassed the fundamental problem of state over time and parallel processing.

Dude it's just calculus. It's hardly even a proper math course.

integrations and derivations can be implemented with loops

also doing math increases your INT stat so you become a smarter coder

I know machine learning makes use of directional derivatives.

This. Also the mathematical methodology tends to serve programmers well, even if the operations and tools are wildly different.

Calculus itself isn't used too often in day-to-day programming. However, passing a calc class proves you have decent fluency in algebra, which is used /all the time/.

(Also, you'll definitely need it (along with linear algebra) if you want to do physics or graphics programming for non-toy games.)

>non-toy games
What did he mean by this?

What parts of algebra are most prominent in calculus?

I mean serious projects/commercial games. Anything beyond a hobby project, basically.

I was just referring to general speed/fluency at rearranging/simplifying/factoring expressions. If you can do those things, but you're slow at it and have to keep stopping to remember rules, you'll struggle in a calculus course.

You don't unless you're a wizard. If you have to write complex things from scratch, you only just barely might. But unless you're inventing neural nets or some other wacky ML architecture, then you pretty much don't

Honestly, the maths in Computer Science degrees are a joke. It's mostly discrete mathematics which is just drawing a bunch of signs that resemble doodles

At the very least you need to understand limits to understand asymptotic complexity analysis.

1. optimization
2. not appearing incompetent

>hiding how simple it is behind snobby elitist vocabulary terms
Literally just algebra, maybe the basic concept of a derivative.

Lamda lamda lamda....
Learn you a Haskell for Great Good user

Attached: Revenge-of-the-Nerds-1984-revenge-of-the-nerds-11732616-950-534.jpg (195x195, 9K)

Calculus is a codified curriculum of grammatical rules for manipulating mathematical equations that are often used in STEM applications. Mathematicians have figured a lot of relationships between different rates of change in all sorts of observed phenomena. The equations that the grammar of Calculus allow us to create give us a shorthand method for encoding and communicating those models.

You are the cancer that is killing science.

As other user said rendering e.g. sum of all light reaching a point can be expressed as integral over hemisphere. Following that, a lot of physics-related stuff (fluid/cloth simulation). Programming does not exist for it's own good, it is always in some area of expertise. Or rather someone else's area of expertise. You don't need CS degree to do web pages, nor a degree is preparing You to just code jumping monkeys on a site.

Also even neural net require You to have at least intuitional grasp on how to interpret derivatives and what else. This is a stuff You are working for.

Ur gay

Oh, and I forgot to mention: did You know that there is direct correlation between Black-Schols derivatives pricing equation and heat equation? Totally different stuff, but shows how much science overlaps. Not knowing calculus puts You at direct disadvantage.

It's something you should know regardless

Algebra is better

If you want to do any numerical analysis or scientific calculation, a firm understanding in calc and discrete mathematics will serve you well.

You need derivation + integration and linear algebra to use vectorial calculus and differential equations to model systems or using signal process.

It's just good to know. Also I assume approximations, expansions and limits are good to know when you have limited resources. Also see the fast inverse square root.

It's handy for a lot of stuffin computer graphics and data modeling.
I have GIS masters and a CS undergrad and I use my calc skills quite regularly.

I haven't taken multi-variable calculus yet but I can imagine that would be useful for graphics stuff

>Newton invented calculus
Heh, maybe when he stole it from Leibniz

Why would someone screenshot their cursor onto an image macro and post it

Strange question. The best way to approximate, discribe and understand reality free from our own limitations is by maths. Why wouldnt you want to learn about reality?

>What is the point of studying calculus in CS ? and what are the most important applications of it?
Useful for a lot of simulations. Lots of those about; scientific codes, game engines, that sort of thing. There's masses of calculus involved in machine learning too. Also, if you end up dealing with non-trivial statistics, you'll need calculus.

Calculus is like just the second level of algebra. It's not at all where math gets hard.

>be useful for graphics stuff
No.

Calculus might be fun for a lowly pleb like you, but that's because you don't know about higher topoi you negroid identity-cruncher. You can train a monkey to do calculus, as clearly demonstrated here by you.

Attached: 1498943065488.png (669x514, 25K)

>calculus is the second level of algebra
>devaluing algebra this hard
Im gonna shoot myself

Calculus really isn't that needed in CS but most people are too stupid find the line that divides Calculus from noncalculus and think "I did it in my undergrad Calculus course that means its calculus"

I made 3 fucking calculus courses in my IT engineer course. Of course I don't use it on my work, but to have the engineer diploma I had to take all calculus, physics and some mathematical courses.

It never hurts to understand the underlying concepts behind Calculus even if you can't solve the problems yourself. I think the issue most people have stems from grouping so many computer-related fields under "Computer Science." If you're working for NASA, Google, D-Wave, you're probably going to need to understand and use Calculus on a daily basis. You can develop plenty of software, however, without ever going beyond basic Algebra. Even when you encounter the need for Calculus, most of the hard stuff will have been written for you unless you are the one actively pushing boundaries what software can do at that specific time period.

Attached: 235987235.jpg (751x492, 150K)

>he went to college

>You are the cancer that is killing science.
REMOVE MATH FROM SCIENCE REEEEEEE
Yay now I can do the fun parts :DDDD
Hahaha Neil Degrasse Tyson
BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILLL BILL BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY
WOAAAAAAH PARALLEL UNIVERSES AND SHEEIT
HEH I LOVE MINUTE PHYSICS :DDDDD
WTFF I LEARNT MORE IN ONE VSAUCE VIDEO THAN AT SHOOL Xd

>he didn't went to college
Nobody hires anyone without a degree and by the remote change they do, you will have a smaller wage

It was for you

As a brainlet CS major, what math elective should I take beyond the required calculus, discrete, and statistics classes? Not sure which field I want to work in yet. Maybe linear algebra? Deterministic Operations research? Differential equations? Combinatorics? Help I only have room for one because I go to a shit school

Hmm, I'm self-employed and made have been making six figures in two years while you were busy playing grabass for a useless piece of paper. Well, it's useless if you're smart enough to teach yourself and apply what you've learned.

Attached: 1501244227256.jpg (960x720, 79K)

>6 figures in two years without a college degree
kek
Or you started a start-up or I call bullshit on that.

I'm sure you'll think anything to justify you're wasted time and money.

>justify
You are the one that need to prove that.
Come on, that a photo of your payment receipt. I dare you.
Of course you wont you lying piece of shit.

I also didn't go to college and landed a job in web dev at 20 making $65k a year. College is a scam unless you get a full-ride to an Ivy League.

Attached: 1468292657646.jpg (283x350, 23K)

kek, i'm not even american. I paid college even before I finish graduating and I repeat
Ask your fellow coworkers that finish college. All of them earn more than you.

Nobody else does what I do at the company so it's difficult to compare. People who start out tend to make around as much as I did when I began working there degree or not.

You sound very immature and seem to take your own experiences as the only experiences. I'm sorry you're not more capable than me and got a late start but that's no reason for you to delude yourself into thinking you needed to go to college to be as successful as you are.

Attached: 1472882733851.jpg (500x304, 26K)

>more capable
Please tell me what you do.

trips of truth

Shitpost on Sup Forums, and he's clearly better than you.

I give him that

connections are a powerful tool
but yeah 2009-2012ish everyone basically handed you a job on the spot as long as you're only half retarded

>what is survivorship bias?

what's the cost of living in your area? 65k starting is either not bad or underpaid as shit depending on that

>strawman

gg, nm

this.

>calculus

Attached: cauchyinterjection.png (968x888, 165K)

>What is the analysis of algorithms
You apparently have yet to take your first serious course in CS.

Here's a few more fields of mathematics that are applied in CS research. Feel free to expand this list.
>(Analytic) Combinatorics (e.g. analysis of algorithms)
>Descriptive Complexity Theory (e.g. studying the relatioships between complexity classes via logics)
>Dependence Logic (e.g. database theory)
>Graph Theory (e.g. tree-like datastructures, graph algorithms such as finding the shortest path)
>Linear Algebra (e.g. machine learning)
>Probability Theory (e.g. randomized algorithms)

For an undergrad, calculus, graph theory and linear algebra are probably going to be the most useful ones (at least in the uni i went to).

Attached: aoa.png (697x864, 395K)

a+ cringe

>You are the cancer that is killing science.
If you can't understand calculus you are a brainlet. Struggling with it isn't a problem as long as you can overcome your struggle into understanding, but if not you don't belong in science in the first place.

fug u faget

My school requires linear algebra,I've heard it is important for scientific computing

(You) win the thread /

This might not be the intention, but it definitely is the effect. Even in EEE, we are learning shit that has nothing to do with the field in the first year, mainly so that by the time we get to the second year and onwards, all the dumb fucks have dropped out.

I'm in my second year, and almost all the dudebros, girls, and people of a certain race have left the course. God bless the system.

Newton didn't invent calculus. Nobody did.

So, do people help each other on here or do they just spam babby tier "haha you don't know x and I do" shit

>What is the point of studying calculus in CS ?
A) Filter out the retards.
B) You are studying computer science. If you were training to become a code monkey it is irrelevant to you, but you are studying a SCIENCE and in order to understand many parts of that science you will need to understand calculus.

>what are the most important applications of it?
Literally anything you can think of probably has to do with calculus in some form.
Some application which often reach into CS territory:
Image processing, that is practically impossible without a solid understanding of calculus.
Machine learning.
Anything that in some way touches engineering.

the logics it teaches the brain about integration and differentiation and limits alone helps train you to use them. Also multivarible calculus allows you to better understand multiple dependent variable changes over time and the analysis of this.

Warning: Pajeets are unequivocally good at mathematics. Encouraging the calculus meme only encourages them to get into CS; hence a bad idea.

Sure thing bud. Combinatorics e.g. are essential when calculating p2p network's load-distribution. Logic is very much applicable when working with AI (which I assume is the doodles you were referring to).
Also, if your uni doesn't suck complete ass, you'll do way more than just discrete maths.
Also what user said.
And finally, this. Anybody can learn how to write some shitty code - if you don't know your maths you won't ever be an IT-Professional, you'll be a codemonkey.

the S in CS is in there for a reason. Go Study Software Engineering then

Every math trick you learn will make coding easier to you later on.
It's pretty much like filling up your programming toolbox.

Not the guy you're responding to, but mathematics is not science.

Not the guy you're responding to, but mathematics is frequently used in many sciences.

you'll forget all of it way before you have a chance to use it. I pretty much forgot even highschool math after a few years of working as a programmer. The only things I remember are some basics of combinatorics, logic and binary arithmetic.

It's a bit of "use or lose" too.
You actually have to fuck around with the shit you learn or you unlearn it.

It's just another filter before the more relevant courses (number theory, linear algebra, etc)

>frogposters argue over who is more retarded

>What is the point of studying calculus in CS ?
Fucking EVERYTHING ya putz.

>everyone that does something i don't like is retarded
It's almost as if you took lessons on debates from the blue-haired landwhale girls(male) on github

Attached: 1498459939337.jpg (500x375, 58K)

>white "people" think they invented calculus

Like all math: Fun to think about, shitty to actually calculate shit with. Doing proofs is fun, making calculations without a computer is torture.

Nice numbers, but joke is on them:
Those couple of math courses were not the hardest part of my degree. Spatial planning was, because you had to remember tons of arbitrary nonsense.

abstract algebra is the patrician choice and has countless uses in technology.
calculus is pretty elementary, has less use other than teaching students to use analytical methods and not be total brainlets.

That's true. So is programming. Doesn't make the act of programming a science in itself.

Or even thinking.

Sooooo, here's the deal broseph.

When I studied CS I though doing calculus was pointless and I could code without it just fine. I struggled through it and managed to pass, but not with flying colors.

Now that I've been in the industry for about 10 years the more I code the more I realize I wish I had better grasp of mathematics, and that includes calculus. It's not only about calculating things or finding formulas, it also trains for you a way of thinking. And sometimes you can even guesstimate how complex an algorithm might be before you even write it down if you've paid attention.

I wish I spent more time learning math in uni and kept up the work. It's like a language after all, if you don't use it you lose it.

Attached: 1440442593586.jpg (480x360, 16K)