/prod/ - Music Production General

/prod/

lazy pasta edition
also horrible brand design edition see pic releated, harmor is insanely good though.

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Remember to check other peoples' clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/exf1y05l
youtube.com/watch?v=ZII-SOmQlks
clyp.it/abwktule
clyp.it/p4mzhel4
clyp.it/omuaq4no
clyp.it/h1h1df33
clyp.it/i5uxcsdb
youtube.com/watch?v=TTAU7lLDZYU
clyp.it/s0olgypi
clyp.it/atgigh1g
clyp.it/11xkov24
clyp.it/qbgkkvxi
clyp.it/g0dcfs2i
clyp.it/eou05gcg
clyp.it/p04a32nx
clyp.it/ei5bq2qs
clyp.it/wos1tgus
clyp.it/1vbsggvn
clyp.it/0424zabf
clyp.it/kkndzhdf
clyp.it/kt2yfl1t
clyp.it/saduisx0
clyp.it/zrcwojdg
clyp.it/az04r3nu
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

clyp.it/exf1y05l

what free software can I use to master this better? I want some of the muddied lows less muddy. also if you have a chant pack help a nig out with the link pham

I dont know if this is the correct thread to ask this question

But do any of you know if there is some magical way of removing the trumpet from this song? By removing I mean making as indistinguishable as possible

youtube.com/watch?v=ZII-SOmQlks

Download an expensive program for free by torrenting it numbnuts.

I didn't say how to get the software, I said WHAT software, specifically

It sounds muddy I think, because you have not controlled the reverb you are drowning the tune in. Reverb when applied to any sound that has low / lower mid freqs will produce a shit load of muddy crap down in the low freqs. This is why using your reverb on sends is good, you can do EQ to just the reverb to filter out the muddy shit. In your tune its building up a LOT.

As far as what EQ or whatnot on the master, I trust Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 on the stereo mix bus.

>But do any of you know if there is some magical way of removing the trumpet from this song? By removing I mean making as indistinguishable as possible
No.

By re-orchestrating the entire thing, with an orchestral template mixed to reflect the way the original was recorded. That would do the trick.

thank you! I'll work on it tonight and put the new mix in the next thread maybe

Just to clarify, I meant, instead of applying the reverb directly to the instrument's channel- use an aux send to apply the reverb, and on that reverb's separate channel, placing EQ after the verb & lowcutting it or lowshelving it to drop out some of the low muddy shit.

If you consistently use the same reverb, or similar reverb preset across the entire project, you may even want to make several duplicates of these reverb sends- and tailor your corrective EQ on each to fit the sound in question.

A general rule of thumb (okay, maybe this is more opinion), is that the closer you get to the subbass, the more sine or triangle like you want the shit down there to be. Getting things really neat and pure down there will help make your bass powerful on subwoofers or bass capable systems. The Mud usually sits above that, however, somewhere in the 300hz area. I consistently find myself lowering 300hz or 350hz because of build up of that muddy shit that saps energy from your mix.

A cool trick you can use to establish depth is using different predelay settings (ideally, on just the early reflections), on these cloned reverbs. The instruments you want to push "further away" from the listener have their early reflections set shorter (20,30ish miliseconds), the instruments you want to push closer to the listener get a longer early reflection predelay 30,40ish miliseconds). This technique is usually used in (virtual) orchestral mixing, but can be cool in other types of tunes.

None of that may be necessary but try it out, its cool.

not without it sounding like it's inside a tin can

hey thank you based mastergod! I saved all the info for my master sesh later on. My main problem is being too new to know what needs to be done on the track to "finish" it. I'm still learning everything. I really wanted to make the sub and kicks stand out more on that track so hopefully I can do that now without all the mud in the 300hz area. Thanks again bruv

What's the best way to sequence a long non repetetive drum piece? Something like a drum solo. I'm using FL Studio. I was thinking of using a lot of varied patterns or just creating a pattern of both a single kick and snare and rearranging it on the playlist.

one long pattern.

Its easiest when you have your whole drumkit in one VST, like using stormdrum in kontakt 4 (like I'm doing)

this is what pic sounds like its just a first draft, I'm going to go back and re record all the vocals, guitars etc, and probably clean up the drums parts, add strings, electric organ etc:

clyp.it/abwktule

def nice what are the automations in track 9 to 12 for?

That's a good call, user. I think I torrented Kontakt 5 a while back but it was finnicky and I don't have much experience with it. Any reccomendations for plugins that do the same thing?

clyp.it/p4mzhel4

user's choice of instrument isn't what's creating the variations, their decision to create a single drum part that spans the whole song is what's allowing them to dive into the drum track as a whole and edit each bar to create variation.

Any drums VSTi will allow you to do this if they permit you to load multiple drum samples and have each one trigger via a different MIDI note - NI Battery, XLN Audio Addictive Drums, Toontrack Superior Drummer, any one of them will let you play the instrument from a single MIDI part with each note mapped to a single drum sample.

please check this song to the siren sample
clyp.it/omuaq4no

clyp.it/h1h1df33

am i overdoing it with the blatant ableton stretching shit

clyp.it/i5uxcsdb
I know i've posted this a couple times already but i have a different question this time

i sampled the new radiohead song on that track
youtube.com/watch?v=TTAU7lLDZYU

i don't have much experience working with samples that i can actually get a strike against my soundcloud for i was just wondering if i masked it enough and if i didn't how do i go about doing that?

or should i just not even take the risk?

do you think

soundcloud don't have any copyright bullshit, do they? shit, if they're limiting the stuff you can sample I'd let their fucking service die.

Soundcloud doesn't have any sample/copyright stuff built into it but it does have you declare stuff as your intellectual property when you upload. I very much doubt you would ever get in trouble for it. Take the risk and if there's an issue appeal it/remove the offending material.

Soundcloud uses Zefr content ID service.

clyp.it/s0olgypi

sounded better in my mind
opinions, advice, feedback, stuff?

that's what youtube uses, isn't it?

ive gotten strikes against my soundcloud for songs that are doing fine on youtube

It's probably to do with the partnerships each site has with publishers - the service will spot the same content on both sites but the site will only strike the content if they have a deal with the content's publisher.

clyp.it/atgigh1g

What are your opinions on this? I'm trying to make a decent dubstep song and I think I've got an intro down.

Upload the thing to a dummy soundcloud or a dummy youtube account as an experiment before you get your real account flagged.

The sophistication of these content ID systems is pretty hardcore, but you can try doing some phase fuckery to the sample using waves inPhase or something along those lines to try to further obfuscate the algorithm.

just installed massive

i know theres a trillion things you can do with it but my sound always sound boring and the same. How long does it take to learn this mother fucker? its all i can do is turn on/off oscillators and apply LFO's

any thoughts? (^:
>intro + basic edmish whateverthefuck skrilley beat with no drops coz i got lazy
ps i hate how rendering takes literally forever if you used more than just 3x Osc

clyp.it/11xkov24

You are nailing it bro, maybe just some more one-off sound design-y things to add interest and you are there.

yo uploading it to a different soundcloud is a great idea i'm gonna do that right now

would using the phase on the utility effect in ableton work the same way as inphase?

modulation is the key to making interesting sounds.

Here is a basic methodology for massive and other synths:

First you must figure out how to produce the desired harmonics you will need later, via the oscillator pitch / waves / modulation.

Then, you subtract from those harmonics, everything that is just junk and not essential for the design of your desired sound, using the filters.

Then, its time to start thinking about modulation, in order to move away from a static, buzzing tone, you need to have modulation occurring over time (literally means controlling one parameter with another) to create a dynamic sound that is actually interesting to listen to. The approach with massive is the same as any other synth really.

Modulation SOURCES, and modulation TARGETS.

Your modulation sources (things like Envelopes, the keyboard / keytracking, LFOs, the step sequencer, velocity, mod wheel, etc)
These are just signals that tell a knob how to move over time, they don't carry any other information.

Then you have your modulation TARGETS, these are the various sound-related parameters of the synth, like pitch, filter cutoff, volume, how that one particular chorus effect is being mixed in %, detuning, literally any knob in the synth that controls the sound.

To create a dynamic, interesting patch, you will need to master modulation, and figure out which parameters you want to change over time, in a creative way.

What sets massive apart from other general subtractive synths, is that it has oscillator waves that contain rich harmonics that themselves can be morphed from one set to another (wavetables). So basically, a world beyond the simple waveforms such as sine, triangle, square, saw. This can help you create much more harmonically rich sounds, in theory.

I'm really not sure, but I suspect so. Basically was thinking phase because small phase shifts may not be audible, but could throw a monkey wrench into the detection algorithm. You may consider modulating such a effect over time, because many of these content ID systems sample at multi second intervals looking for a few 'snapshots' to line up.

If you want to get hardcore, here's what I'd do.

Get on google patent search, after determining what the technology soundcloud uses for content ID. Look up the tech patent and read how the algorithm works. Then figure out how to defeat said algorithm.

This may be totally unnecessary, but could be a cool project anyway.

Thanks user, now i hope i can just get the chorus right! And I look into adding another sound somewhere, I'll probably add a high moog sound in the breakdown.

wicked

Can anyone give me a rundown on producing dub, please? Is most of it sampled? If not, then how is it different from reggae?
I want to make some, how should I start?

Two effects in particular are all over dub music:

Tape Delay, most frequently from the Roland Space Echo RE-201, RE-501 (not the 'space echo' guitar digital effects pedal)

Spring Reverb: The Fisher Space Expander got a lot of mileage, it was originally designed for car systems, rather inexplicably- cars and spring reverbs don't go well together when you go over a speed bump. The RE-201 reverb also got some usage, not just the tape delay.

King Tubby used both of these to great effect.

I am assuming you won't have access to these devices, so you can try to find digital plugin emulations of them. I know that Altiverb has some good RE-201 reverb impulses.

dub is going to primarily be a sample based genre that uses 'open drums' and 'open guitars' (single instruments playing) samples from reggae tunes that can be layered together, much like the method behind early hip hop sampling.

Nice, thanks. I plan on making a instrumental hiphop album in the next few weeks and I'll definitely incorperate some dub elements. This was quite helpful.

Another thing I should have mentioned- investigate the organ / piano playing style called "bubbling" or "bubble organ". This is the "Do-checka, Do-Checka" riff style that you hear in dub music, but mostly reggae. The in-between-beats bubbling riffs is what really tells you that you are in a reggae / dub song a lot of times. Its often mimic'd or layered with guitar or piano.

Traditionally, this is done with some combination of the lower register of the organ (bottom row of keys rather) trading off with the higher keys. You can do this sorta thing using some of the VST / stock organs like the ones in logic for instance, that let you supply midi to each row of tier separately.

Getting that bubble riff down would be great. And there are lots of helpful tutorials on youtube.

clyp.it/qbgkkvxi

>Update
>Finished a rough version of the song
I'm not sure how I feel about the rest of the song. I don't really like my synth at the chorus. Seems like its a tad too harsh...
Any comments/criticisms are greatly appreciated!

Piggybacking off of this user, it may be a corny reggae example, but Jammin by Bob Marley is a pretty good example of a bubbly organ. It plays really well with the piano, and together they provide all of the harmonic backing for the song.

Sounds ok. Bring your synths up a bit though. Also, after that drop it really loses that dubstep-y half-time feel, which is a shame.
Sounds a bit generic as well.

Hey, I never noticed this. The offbeat guitar strums are obvious put this gives a track a nice, driving feel. Thanks guys!

Yeah, I guess I went the drumstep route by doubling the drums...but I'd rather keep the dubstep feel so I'll probably re-write the part. Do you think I could use the same synths though?
And generic is good :D I don't normally make dubstep stuff so I'm ok with that as long as it doesn't sound like shit.
Thanks for the input!

Should I continue to work on this or just delete it?It's really short so it will not take you much of your time to listen to it.Thanks and I will appreciate every advice.
clyp.it/g0dcfs2i

How do you make bass with unison sound good? I mean so the single oscillators don't phase each other out.

Do I have to resample it? Here's an example. It's noticable at the attack part.

clyp.it/eou05gcg

How do you guys mix? I mean do you have any specific order you do things? It happens too often that I sit down ready to mix and master something and just go back and forth, not really getting anything done until my ears are bleeding.

Should I mix in mono? Should I start by removing all reverbs and delays and shit and just getting levels and EQs right?

clyp.it/p04a32nx

posted this the other day,
did i de-mud the bass enough?
hard to tell i lost my headphones and tried to mix this on laptop speakers...

I mix as I make the sounds desu. I couldn't imagine laying down a chord progression and not mixing the sound down with some EQing and effects.

Once I think my mix is done (the song itself), I leave it there for a day or two, come back, mix it back down so the levels are nice and everythings in stereo where I want it.

Then I master my final mix with compressors, widening tools, a main EQ, and a maximizer (I use two compressors) (don't do any this too harsh for the love of god)

it seems off beat to where listening to it is a bit uncomfortable. Also your wav is stretched or something, it sounds like its rippling(?) at certain points.
desu, I'd mess around with it but ultimately delete it

I sudo mix but leave the heavy stuff for the end. I view making a song like writing a book. You edit as you go but you try to have a rough copy finished before you do anything heavy-duty

cut all low frequencies out at at least 100 hz, but leave the drum and bass cut at 30 hz or higher
>pic related

or yknow, use your god damn ears

it was an old take of vocals, so I just bought up the volume on the "leaves" lyric, with the older takes panned more left and right, to pad out than word. The automation is volume!

clyp.it/ei5bq2qs

thots?

clyp.it/wos1tgus
whaddayall think of this

>clyp.it/wos1tgus
sexy as fuck. keep it up!

why are you responding to yourself

If i post a very barebones melody i thought of, would anyone here turn it into something really cool sounding? there's no reason for it, i just want to hear this melody that's in my head for a while turn into something real.

thanks m8

pic
inb4 "nice shoop"

i liked when the bass line started, it should come in a bit sooner, imo.

its boring

stop being a dick
I'm

clyp.it/1vbsggvn

what do you lads think?
Am I justice yet?

yo how is everyone's weekend producing? i been working on an underground resistance style techno/electro jam,

clyp.it/0424zabf

the panning around 0:42 is kinda sudden and distracting.

no

why is it all so low

the siren effect is really awkward

pls be louder

it will be louder when im finished but for now, turn your speakers up bruv

any1 feeling this shlohmo ripoff?

clyp.it/kkndzhdf

clyp.it/kt2yfl1t

I think it's finished [song wise], comments please?

are these threads always this dead?

I think it just depends on the time of day they appear.

YO GUYS WASSUP

can you guys tell me whether or not the piano ON TOP of the rest of the track is in key in your opinion. I really struggle pinning it down in my samples but my guessing has put me in E flat minor so the piano is simply two octave scales of Ebm.

pls tell me if wrong ty

clyp.it/saduisx0

the piano sound is way too thin so its hard to tell

clyp.it/zrcwojdg
there ya go m8

it sounds fine to me

Where can I torrent the latest FL Studio, I'm still on 9.

I don't think its out of key

yeah i was kinda sure i was right BUT i've gotten it wrong and only realised like 12 hours into a track and REALLY fucked myself up in the past sooooo it was worth a quick ask

thanks for the quick response guys

rutracker.org

bless

I'm not busch league dingus. I was asking for simple VSTs that would help me organize samples.

Fl Studio, that's basically an audio swiss army knife

Nice. Really nice. Is it clipping in parts? Other than that, I can't think of any constructive critique. What are you doing with it next?

It is not clipping, why did you think it was?

Mixing it down and mastering.

It will be clipping once I master it, but all most every song made after 1995 does a bit.

It's probably just the file compression on clip.it, or my ears are deceiving me, don't worry.

>but all most every song made after 1995 does a bit
I did not know that. Are you sure? That sounds wrong. I know they try and get as close to 0db as possible, but I think they try and avoid clipping.

Yes, take any song by a signed artist and throw it into audacity.

i think you'll find that audiophile artists like noisia take their tracks to be mastered with around -20db on every channel and every noise compressed to very low volume but high quality.

this means for higher end quality post mastering, less to remove in post, less to clean and more precise noises towards the artists aim.

producing quietly also brings its merits because producing quietly means all the harmonics within each noise have to be high quality and clean in order to be properly audible which kinda by default assures a high degree of quality.

not that guy
but every pop song i've ever put into ableton stays in the green
also then what's the point of the -.3 limiter thing

fellas, remember to report and hide any faggots that attempt to viral their awful, derivative garbage.

lol here we go with the derivatives

what does that even mean?

>clyp.it/wos1tgus
what do you use to master in fl?

calling music derivative makes you sound like a cunt because it's just a lazy and ineffective way to bash music you don't like without having a solid articulation as to why said music is bad

are you that one idiot who i argued with before on here about the word derivative because you were acting like it only had one meaning?

clyp.it/az04r3nu

Is this too generic? This is just an idea I had while playing guitar earlier and decided to try and build an electro track from the idea.