/mg/ - Software and Hardware Minimalism General

For discussing software and hardware minimalism and minimal computing lifestyle.

>What is computing minimalism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros
ix.io/ZE2

>Minimal programs lists
Suckless: suckless.org/rocks

Cat-v.org: harmful.cat-v.org/software/

Alternatives to Bloatware: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

Window Managers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

Attached: cocksuck.png (500x2000, 352K)

Other urls found in this thread:

howtoforge.com/tutorial/debian-minimal-server/
debian.org/distrib/packages
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
suckless.org/donations/
youtube.com/watch?v=nNKvRZFKACI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OpenBSD is bloat, comes with X installed.

MEE NYAE MUHLISM IS A MEME

Reminder that stacking is shit go with tiling and dynamic

kys

you suck nigger dick
you suck niggers
dwm

I've been working in a full terminal environment. Spreadsheets, wallpaper, window management, pictures, video and even web browsing, all in the framebuffer. So far had success with the video and been watching movies on my low spec server.

Anyone making something similar? I'll probably upload my notes later.

That is optional.

can anyone give me a quick rundown on a debian minimal install ?
i used the netinstall and deselcted everything as said in the previous thread but it still installed gnome with over 1000 packages, i hope that's not what user meant....

You fucking faggot, you think this shit is a joke?
Do this shit in a fucking vm.
fuck

took like 15 minutes dude chill
just tell me what i did wrong

Okay, you fags have convinced me to leave i3 behind; but not sure what I want to replace it

>dwm & frankenwm look nice... But I hardly know any C (I did get st working though, so might be enough)
>I hear a lot of people talking about ratpoison in these threads, but it looks a bit bloat
>herbstluftwm looks really nice, but "manual" tilling seems like a pain

What do Sup Forums?

Use a real mans OS.

yeah! second for Trisquel

dwm if you are not sure, ratpoison if you are not afraid of a strictly tiling wm

Does anyone have an alternative to git? I tried mercurial, fossil and rcs, but I failed to clone a github repository

2bwm

>MUH MINIMALISM
>uses X11/Wayland
The "Minimalistic" window managers/DEs are only minimalistic in appearance, not by function. How about never use X11 and use the console. Or at least fucking install Plan 9.
>MUH GAYLANG
The main selling point of Go was the concurrency model—it literally has no other redeeming features, and is lacking in a lot of aspects. Go is for people who just finished college and want to write a TCP proxy in the most annoying way possible. Also have fun with those large binaries. C will always be better than Go and all languages.

This thread is absolute horseshit. I shit myself laughing when I saw HURD in the pastebin and saw it called 'minimal'. To sum up this thread, snowflake undergrads who want to be 'out there' by staying 'minimal' when they don't even know what that actually means.

Does it have a floating mechanism (like i3)?
If so, I'm not missing anything really

Github uses git to upload/download
I agree partly but you are too edgy
No, strict tiling means no floating

Ratpoison that is
I like the low ram usage, but really don't know much about it. Tell me more

"edgy meme i have no other arguments LOLULLL posts smug anime pic"

Ahh, welp idk then. How bad it adding patches/configuration?

you probably selected a de
just do it over again and look up tutorials

dwm is a pain to configure, literally have to recompile everytime, ratpoison is a breeze and its config retard proof but really powerful and scriptable

I'll give it a try then. Will report back. Going to have to fuckup my xinitrc though lol

Attached: min.jpg (2880x1800, 934K)

10/10

just had to tweak it a bit

Attached: min1.jpg (2880x1800, 807K)

woah, why don't you have ublock installed? Ublock is /mg/ approved

Why people on this thread dislike Arch Linux as a bad minimal distro but like Gentoo or Debian Netinst?

I m using Debian netinst testing buster and seems like the installation is kinda big with (xfce-4) almost 10 gb.

How Debian netinst is different from the main dvd install somebody can elaborate a little for me?

thanks

That or use the hosts file.

Netinst is just the bare system for you to add only what is needed. If you install the xfce4-desktop-task onto netinst it's the same as installing from the main cd or dvd.

Arch is not considered minimalist because it does not split software into different packages. You can only install the full software, not just the part you want. That's also why Archfags always have less than 1000 packages even thou they are running all the KDE apps inside the Gnome Shell.

>Arch is not considered minimalist because it does not split software into different packages. You can only install the full software, not just the part you want. That's also why Archfags always have less than 1000 packages even thou they are running all the KDE apps inside the Gnome Shell.

i don't get this! the big sell for Arch is not the customized install? you just install what you want, how their package system make you install more shit that you need to? this is not like debian works too!? i i didn't understood the 1000 packages analogy, they brag about having less packages on their systems but in fact it has more bloat why?

>You can only install the full software, not just the part you want
are you talking about systemd? I have Hyperbola (based on arch but with openrc and sysv) and only 600 packages including wine

>i don't get this! the big sell for Arch is not the customized install?
Here's a little secret... Arch is not the only distro you can install without preinstalled X11 or any additional programs.
>you just install what you want, how their package system make you install more shit that you need to?
Ok let's say there's a big package
Arch would just have this big package, and that's it.
Debian might split that package up into multiple packages, allowing you to only get parts of it if you don't need everything.
>i i didn't understood the 1000 packages analogy
It's not an analogy. He's speaking literally.

OwO

Attached: oooo.png (761x823, 466K)

No.
You can install just the packages you want. As you can in Debian netinstall or mementoo.
The bloat of Arch is inside the package. For example, a software "A" might be split into several components, libraries, development libraries, GUI binaries, cli-binaries, manuals and artwork. In debian *each* of those components would be put in one or more packages. In Arch all of them go into one or two packages.

It's not true today, and no real way to see if it was ever true, but I remember some user claiming that there was a time that Arch had the vim package pull in the entire X windows system.

>In Arch all of them go into one or two packages.
can you name some of the packages you might be talking about?
My xorg install is in ~20 packages, all my libraries are separate packages, qt5 is a few different packages, even alsa is 3 packages

no i don't even understand too much in what systemd manages inside, but i imagine like a octopus with a magnifying glass inside, i dont like the way the "building blocks for construct a os" talk sounds like! and i still dont like too think to much to not get pissed off!

i'm a little scared thinking this can create a lot of dependencies in good softwares and disregarding compatibility to another os, ruining what makes free software developers cool and ruining linux platform whatsoever in the near future.

Yes that's why I installed Hyperbola, user.
It uses the same package manager as arch (different repo obviously), it's FOSS (almost ceritfied by the FSF), and doesn't use systemd!
everything I could ask for in a linux OS

Attached: 2018-02-23-203043_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 118K)

>>uses X11/Wayland
>The "Minimalistic" window managers/DEs are only minimalistic in appearance, not by function. How about never use X11 and use the console. Or at least fucking install Plan 9.

i would never install a distro that is recommended in the FSF site, i dislike all the robot commie side of it! i hate seeing rms talking , always the same shit (altought i kinda respect his endeavors and think he is kinda important to the scenario that we're living ) but i think they degenerate a lot of good projects with infiltrators hosts inside of, making everybody polarize in political and license blabbing debates instead of working in cool things...

and the first thing that i do when i install a distro is install the proprietary driver to my GPU!

No it doesn't

>and the first thing that i do when i install a distro is install the proprietary driver to my GPU!
Same. I just wanted an arch-like OS without systemd. Hyperbola gave me exactly that.

also, just like arch or other minimal installs, when you first boot you'll only have ~100 or so packages and be in a console shell

I doubt.
How many of those libraries are split into development libraries and binary libraries?
Are man pages packaged separately?

On the *bottom* of this page you can search and see Debian packages dependencies:
debian.org/distrib/packages
Keep in mind that manuals, dev libs, debug symbols and clis are all usually in different packages.

My xorg install is ~60 packages and I don't have everything.

gnu+linux

Alright so my packages might be slightly less granular than yours, but
I couldn't install Debian though because systemd is against some of my core principles.
Is Devuan okay and similar with it's package minimalism? if so I might try it
okay richard

i dont know why i copied this guys comment was a mistake , i was just responding the hyperbola dude! just ignore the green text!

but this connect what another question i kinda hate the systemd idea, but what would break in a install for desktop user using a distro without systemd? gnome doesnt work without systemd alright!? what i have in debian or ubuntu installation that would not work in a not systemd distro?

literally mount doesn't work without systemd on your system

Attached: hungry hungry init.gif (480x320, 3.52M)

werks for me on Void.

maybe no rolling releases is less stressful for their schizo brains desu

so how do you work around that? what the fuck? seems like no way around it, the linux users are locked in the systemd, no way back, all older init system are over, everybody need to bow down to systemd rright now, at least the final newbie user?

that's because you have a different OS. If you remove systemd from ubuntu you would have to install a new mount program
you get a different OS

like I was saying, Hyperbola doesn't use systemd. There's also Devuan, Gentoo, take a look at without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

-x* when you install :3

sow why devuan seems so shitty right now? and not getting upgraded so well and adopted? the gnome doenst work anymore without systemd? how this is even allowed and possible?

>Is Devuan okay and similar with it's package minimalism? if so I might try it
I think so but I never used it. Gentoo is also versatile like debian. Slackware doesn't use systemd (at least yet) and it also doesn't have a package manager. As long as you start with the minimal install I think it should be pretty minimal.

Do you really want gnu+linux? If not OpenBSD is also a good option.

you're witnessing the death of the linux desktop and the birth of something else
We are just holding onto ashes

>he's just finding this out now

FUCK SYSTEMD
FUCK
FUCk

I have tried Gentoo but I don't really like the from-source-all-the-time thing.
I know slackware's package management is pretty trash which is why I haven't tried it. How does the package management work on BSD?
I've never used any *BSD. Does it use bash? I'm only familiar with bash.. lol

so i gonna need to brainwash myself in thinking that all anti systemd guys are austitic and retarded ?because why almost every popular distro adopted it! and seems like this shit will gonna break more and more compatibilities in the future, maybe i gonna drop all the linux use whatsover =(

Ubuntu minimal is 40MB iso.

how old are you?

Thanks REDHAT. NEVER FORGET!

>because why almost every popular distro adopted it
still kinda trying to figure that out myself. I assume because it took a lot of stress off of the devs for the distro
>maybe i gonna drop all the linux use whatsover
we just need to keep the power to choose. That's why the linux desktop was so popular in the first place. the ability to choose.

There are also Void and Crux.

Oh, Crux I forgot about that one. I haven't tried it yet. Have you?
I don't like void's xbps and limited repos

Stop shillin openbsd, is bloat.

Systemd is shit. In theory it's a good idea but in practice taking a group of stable and determistic subsystems and shoehorning them into the one heavily parallellized shitshow results in a lot of subtle bugs and race-conditions.

your mom belly is bloat,nigger

Distros adopted it because if you don't want to have to fork a ton of desktop software like Gnome, you have to use it. Heaps of upstream have dumped init as a target, systemd is trash.

>we just need to keep the power to choose. That's why the linux desktop was so popular in the first place. the ability to choose.

yeah maybe this is the anwser a lot of developers are gonna need to work against the wave and trying to minimize the pullback of systemd, another community polarized, another tons of hardwork down the drain just to make old things works exacly like systemd, another shitty happening inside free software community. sadly

Never. It was the thread meme a few weeks ago. A lot of people installed it.
I use Debian.

0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html

>0pointer.de
>poettering's blog

Attached: tfw clickbait.jpg (250x250, 14K)

Source Mage and Alpine(autistic for desktops).

How can you hear both sides then?

I can install an OpenBSD system with one package.

>I m using Debian netinst testing buster and seems like the installation is kinda big with (xfce-4) almost 10 gb.

looks like i have to update my minimal chart. DE are never minimal. It's wm or bust. Xfce is bloat

Attached: 1521753775747.png (700x1000, 165K)

i already read that and still makes me worry, i like the idea of linux platform being havin historically respect posix compatibility and linux devs being intelligernt enought for making cool multi platform tools, now is everything down the drain, with systemd linux will be more like any platform, a lot of shitty platform exclusive softwares.

yeah this chart is very helpful and was happy that xfce was included, but maybe is the more sane thing to do, it was confusing me about the concepts that people adopts,i found my install kinda heavy on hd space usage too!

>Myth: systemd forces you to do something.

>systemd is not the mafia. It's Free Software, you can do with it whatever you want, and that includes not using it. That's pretty much the opposite of "forcing".

i dont like this smart-ass smirkiness of this commentary, how he can say something like this and still pushes to gnome be systemd dependant?

How's Alpine as a server system? Thinking about using it instead of Ubuntu server for my very basic virtual machines

When I first started using Linux it was virtually identical to Unix is most respects, with GNUtools usually supporting both SysV and BSD semantics.

Now with all the innovations like wayland, systemd, dconf registry it's getting to be a windows-tier hotmess. This is what happens when kids try and reinvent the wheel.

Thank god the minimalist movement is gaining traction and we see more modular, back to the origins, software design.

Just donate to the suckless guys.
suckless.org/donations/

Those seems like cool times, how do you coop with all this deception without stop using systemd distros?!

Newfag here:

Why is systemd hated so much? (I assume cause it's becoming the norm and you don't like to get shit shoved down your throats).
As a newfag, should I even care if I am suing systemD? I don't see why I should if it's got everything I'd need.

Pros and cons of Arch vs Debian?
Why should I choose one or the other?

T H X M 8 S

Attached: 1518997089781.jpg (400x400, 12K)

Surf? Seriosly? it is worst shit web browser ever i seen.

I'd like to get that piece of shit pootering and sit him down a'la clockwork orange, and play him loops of pajeets saying "please do the needful" with that head shake thing, and making up some obvious lie when asked for an RCA because they're not skilled enough to analyze the kind of subtle bugs you see in systemd.

Then once pootering is screaming for it to stop, that systemd was a mistake, I'd take him out and give him the same trough treatment that Alex got. Except worse.

youtube.com/watch?v=nNKvRZFKACI

Attached: clockwork.jpg (900x539, 96K)

bspwm is pretty comfy, it has floating and tiling windows

Debian: just works
Arch: does NOT just works

It's time to truly ditch windows as i'm so fucking fed up with how resource intensive it is and how microsoft goes out of their way to design an intrusive OS for data collection and won't let me use my computer the way I want so I can be the most productive.

I've been using Ubuntu 17.10 on my x220 for the past few months and I've had very few problems. I did some research on canonical and I don't trust them however. I'm thinking about switching my desktop pc (2500k,16gb,970) to debian stable.

Am I going to have many issues? although I don't play many modern games these days, I still would like to have the option to run them. How has wine improved lately? people always talk about outdated packages in the stable repository. How do I can get around that should I need to?

Attached: 1407743788519.gif (234x249, 269K)

Because Poettring is a dumb fucking shitbag that actively goes out of his way to not give a fuck about security

Debian: stable versions
Arch: rolling release

But muh suckless?

Ubuntu is fine.

>includes GuixSD but skips NixOS
baka desu senpai