Why does community not give a shit about Stallman?

Why is everyone such an ingrate? It's always LINUX, LINUX, LINUX, well if it wasn't for GNU Project and rms, Linux would never become anything more than a Linus' shitty project for OS class.

Why does nobody have any respect for the real hackers?

Attached: stallman01.png (480x548, 398K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/pronunciation.en.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Cux9T9wvERs
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justgnu
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Linus has a pretty nice YouTube channel, so he's just more well-known than RMS.

do you want people to make threads sucking his dick or what

>Linus has a pretty nice YouTube channel
No, he does not.

Are you retarded?

Linus is the developer of Linux, the kernel, which is often combined with GNU userspace, in order to create a complete and usable operating system. Without GNU, the kernel, Linux, is unusable.

Newfag detected

>joke
>your head

>do you want people to make threads sucking his dick or what
Just spending 0.3 seconds to type or say GNU/Linux (if not GNU+Linux) instead of Linux would be enough, for starters. You wouldn't call your parents "dad", so you shouldn't call GNU+Linux "Linux".

That, and Stallman is a dirty neckbeard. That's the problem.

He's trying to be the frontman of an entire movement, whilst looking like a fucking hobo.

Linus (!Sebastion) is clean cut, and fucking serious about what he does. That's why he does well.

The sooner Stallman kicks the bucket, the sooner we can get this train rolling properly.

>your mouth
>bait >your mouth
>your mouth

Stallman is a liberal snowflake like most Sup Forums
Hopefully in the near future we can have more bsd forks than 1 billion debians out there

"""joke"""
Can anyone found this shit funny? It was forced from the start.

>we can have more bsd forks
For what purpose? Can't get enough NIH?

Stallman is an autistic, dirty freetard neckbeard, thats not how you get popular.

Linus is a raging asshole but he is somewhat of a public figure that you can be taken serious.

We don't call VW cars VW+Bosch or VW/Continental either.
iPhone/Foxconn
Lightbulb/Edison

>You need to learn how to distinguish bait and newfags.

We call it BMW/320i or as i recently called it BMW plus 320i

Linus is still very much involved in the day-to-day development of the operating system, and cares more about getting shit done than ideology.

Stallman honestly did his major work in the 80's-90's. Nowadays he goes around preaching.

Since open source should be a meritocracy, people who continue contributing are naturally more interesting as figureheads. There has been an attempt from the SJW crowd to change this and discredit actual work, but it has not yet taken root.

Of course it helps that Linus, even if somewhat of an asshole, is significantly more charismatic than Stallman.

ALL HAIL STALLMAN

Attached: traumerebykumeta.png (1313x757, 1.22M)

You know people call Stallman a fat fuck, but I think he has some kind of disease; the shape of his stomach just doesn't look like normal fat at all, it looks like he's pregnant with a beach ball. I suspect he actually has a health problem.

Who? Stallman? Is he like a elevator boy for public toilet stalls?

Attached: 1464133643758.jpg (700x600, 79K)

>you are now aware that suiseiseki is using a lemote

I think he should clean up, it would help the community a lot.

Attached: stallman_after_shower.jpg (1024x749, 133K)

I wouldn't call my parents GNU/Dad either.

There are linux distros without GNU though.

why should I waste 0.3 seconds adding "GNU" to Linux if I can spend 0.3s typing Mac?
rms doesnt even shower fuck off

I'm more worried about his mental health than his body. Dude's got some serious problems on the head.

If "GNU" was a one-syllable word, more people would probably say it. And why is Stallman so obsessed with people knowing he wrote something? That's not very libre of him. If a computer running Antergos is next to a Windows computer, I will refer to it as "the Linux computer", and yet you don't hear the creators of Antergos getting triggered and throwing their filthy wank-socks around and crying.

Attached: 1505439090161.png (800x2000, 1.98M)

>He's trying to be the frontman of an entire movement
You mean the movement he single-handedly created? Yeah, he's "trying to be the frontman" of it out of necessity, because nobody else seems to be interested in taking that position. You're free to try, I'm sure he'd be happy to retire and concentrate on dancing with parrots and writing Lisp or some shit instead.

>Linus (!Sebastion) is clean cut, and fucking serious about what he does.
The only thing Linus does and is interested in doing is maintaining the kernel. In PR terms, he's even more of a fucking savage than RMS, so he lets a bunch of sleazy corporate fucks like The Linux Foundation run non-technical side of things for him.

>The sooner Stallman kicks the bucket, the sooner we can get this train rolling properly.
When Stallman kicks the bucket, I'm afraid this train will derail.

And subsequently failed by being a dirty neck beard. You know where he lost even the most neckbeard amongst us? The push for it to be called GNU/Linux.

We all know that's what it is in reality, but when he started his campaign, it was self aggrandizing bullshit. The GNU adds nothing to communicating what we're talking about, and is just pure wank.

It's a god damn tool, not a political statement. Get fucked with this "worship the creator" bullshit.

dirty dumb

ribbitor scum

Well, iPhone is also a tool...

>The sooner Stallman kicks the bucket, the sooner we can get this train rolling properly.
Hello!
What's your opinion on binary blobs in the Linux kernel?

You're not wrong, but you don't see Apple demanding that people call it the Apple iPhone when discussing it..

A plague to be avoided wherever possible, but unfortunately a necessary evil in some cases. It sucks, but what can you do? Given the choices I'd rather have the support for the functionality than not.

That said, Linus has done quite well at blocking much of the BS.

Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
Summary: small poll for my new operating system
Message-ID:
Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT
Organization: University of Helsinki

Hello everybody out there using minix –

I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
since april, and is starting to get ready. I’d like any feedback on
things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
among other things).

I’ve currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
This implies that I’ll get something practical within a few months, and
I’d like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions
are welcome, but I won’t promise I’ll implement them :)

>won't be big and professional like gnu
>I’ve currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40)
>hurr, GNU trying to piggyback on Linus' work

You've projected there. I never said GNU was piggybacking. I understand Linux's roots.

What I very clearly said was that Stallman pushing for it to be called GNU/Linux by users was fucking stupid.

You'll even see that I acknowledged that it is GNU/Linux. Unsurprising to see such unmitigated fuckwittery on your side of the argument.

8th bar, there's no need to put the natural for the E, a new bar cancels out any accidentals.

Richard, this is indeed linux, and GNU is just unfinished OS.

>didn't get the joke,
Pretty sure your the retarded one m8

RMS is a pedo

your autistic

>Why does community not give a shit about Stallman?
Which community are you talking about?
Everyone related to the FSF anyhow respects Stallman.
Sup Forums has too much spam by Sup Forums crossboarders, which might give the impression that the original users don't care about free software. This isn't true, obviously - just by looking at the Desktop threads, most people run free operating systems, even if they install one or more proprietary programs on top of it (perhaps because their work requires it, or because a specific hobby can't be appreciated using only free software yet).

Attached: I am the bone of my sword.jpg (800x1105, 492K)

>Stallman pushing for it to be called GNU/Linux by users was fucking stupid.
I agree, it should be just called GNU. Adding kernel name (as in, for example, Debian GNU/Linux vs. Debian GNU/kfreebsd) adds nothing to communicating what we're talking about, and is just pure wank.

Except that different distros have different functionality, packet managers etc.

So including Debian has a use, the GNU part is redundant, so it can fuck off.

You can keep pushing this, but you know you're wrong BECAUSE nobody respects him. Feel free to keep whining about it, but I'm going to bed.

Why should I care about commie hacker Santa?

GNU/Linux is the equivalent of using one of those all inclusive SJW terms like Xir, or whatever the fuck it is.
I'll give BSD clowns credit, as autistic as they are, (they really are the ruler we use to measure autism), even they aren't this ridiculous. When have you seen a BSD clown correcting someone for not refering to a Playstation as a BSD/Playstation? This shit is laughable.

>Why does community not give a shit about Stallman?
Because Stallman doesn't give a hit about himself, so how can other give a shit about him, a man who acts like a idiot, a man who refuses to face reality ?
His antics are demoralizing the community, so everyone tries to ignore him, like a grandpa that has gone senile and keeps repeating random things out of topic.

GNU is and will always be shit. Nobody that really cares about free software have any respect for Stallfag.
If you want to suck someone's cock on this board, this person should be Terry. Terry's a fucking genius despite being a schizo and will always be our beloved one.

BSD > GPL by the way.

Then why include "Linux"? It's about as redundant as GNU; hence why Debian is often just called Debian.

It sounds like you just don't like free software. Terry doesn't care about free software and BSD isn't necessarily free.

If you really liked free software you wouldn't be using GNUshit.
I feel free using TempleOS.

If you chose the name based on who wrote most source code, IT SHOULD BE CALLED GNU NOT LINUX!

idk, but he is definitely a parrot fucker

>If you chose the name based on who wrote most source code, IT SHOULD BE CALLED GNU NOT LINUX!
Not true. You can use GNU for whatever you want and there is no stipulation for tacking gahnoo onto your product name. This is one blatant instance that I can think of where Stallman becomes a hypocrite.

Big corporations dont like people know about GNU and the GPL so they can keep cucking programmers. Also pic saved.

>GNU is and will always be shit
Lol, Linux can't be without GCC.
GCC=GNU.
Not Linux, Just GNU/Linux.

Also
Linux = Blob kernel
Linux-Libre (just GNU/Linux deblobbed and 100% free)
Thanks.

Nice bait.

So you agree?
Distributions of linux should be just called by their names without linux. Linux is a distribution of gnu programs with a lot of other stuff, just like Debian is a distribution of linux with a lot of other stuff. So Linux should just be called linux.

>If you really liked free software you wouldn't be using GNUshit.
Why?
>I feel free using TempleOS.
I don't care how you feel.

it is pretty hilarious
if you want to talk about forced, try talking about the newfags monkeying the stallman copypasta or its contents whenever somebody mentions linux

Caring about Stallman and his ideas forces you to take a stand. He is all about free as in freedom and he really stands for those ideals. Thinking about what those entail means many will have to face that they are in fact slaves in a fascist control-system who can't live without corporate fascism.

Android

I do love Stallman and what he stands for but I wish he would make just a minimal effort. He doesn't need to look totally neat and clean and wear a suit. But when you look like a hippie and you stand in front of a big audience and you walk around barefoot and then scrape something off your foot and eat it then you're.. going slightly beyond the limits of what most people will be comfortable with. And yes, Stallman really did that.

Plus Stallman wrote the GPL.
If it wasn't for the copyleft concept, GNU/Linux would not have developed to the level it is now, and therefore neither would Linux, or Android or linux on iot devices.

Isn't he the same asshole who told white people not to have babies?

Personally I feel he's kind of import and helpful for the GNU + FOSS movement. On the flip side he's an obnoxious autist who does damage. Finally he's also a meme and fun to laugh out because he's such an idiot too.

Why should it?

Attached: ricardostallman.png (1598x1072, 481K)

Unironically this.

1) Linux is a catch name
2) GNU is a stupid and unpronounceable word
3) RMS made GNU a joke name no one is taking it seriously
4) POSIX is far more sexy and RMS invented the name POSIX
5) not my foul RMS sabotaged himself and is not re-branding his joke name(GNU) that needs a audio explanation on the joke and pronunciation.
6) The anvil that broke the camels back is that RMS insists you say it in his retarded pronunciation and not something like G.N.U like you say G.P.L.
7) is it GNU because of the project of the programs the project wrote? Because if its about the programs what if someone replaces every GNU program and creates a GPL replacement for them? Will RMS insist you still say GNU? Despite the fact that not even one line of code is from the GNU project?!
8) How much of the code base are these GNU-project programs? Did other people not from the project write far more code?

gnu.org/gnu/pronunciation.en.html

I'm not amused by the name!
I'm irritated by it!

Attached: simple_linux_logo_by_dablim-d5k4ghu.png (256x256, 23K)

because Stallman is the reason free software even exists. You don't have to agree with his political ideologies to recognize the importance of that

What happened to this board? Nobody used to bash Stallman this much.

>GNU is a stupid and unpronounceable word
no it's not, ganoo, literally two syllables
>RMS made GNU a joke name no one is taking it seriously
it was a trend at MIT to use recursive acronyms
> POSIX is far more sexy and RMS invented the name POSIX
POSIX is a set of standards, not an OS name
>s it GNU because of the project of the programs the project wrote? Because if its about the programs what if someone replaces every GNU program and creates a GPL replacement for them? Will RMS insist you still say GNU? Despite the fact that not even one line of code is from the GNU project?!
if they replace all the GNU components then no, it's not GNU anymore. But that's utterly retarded and nobody would do that.
>How much of the code base are these GNU-project programs? Did other people not from the project write far more code?
Originally everything was GNU except for the kernel, which is why Stallman wanted it to be GNU/Linux, because he created most of the OS. Linux would not exist without GNU

Bullshit.
Stallman is a idiot who wanks about his stupid names
>Muh "free software" redefinition!
Like make up your own name "Liberty software" of "Libre Software" and the problem is fixed.
No need to try to force a redefinition of a existing word, that the English language used before computers and is still using free like in free beer.
Stop saying "free software" you are wasting your time instead of promoting your ideology you moron!

Also his toy ideas don't extend to other subjects.
We should have GPL like music and GPL like pictures who everyone can modified etc.
WE need to extend this idea.
RMS is not doing this.
Only jabbering about GPL in software not GPL EVERYWHERE!

He can not even compare himself to me he is like a obsolete evolutionary step outdated and old.
He is like some MS shill in comparison to me.

Attached: me.png (1884x988, 732K)

GNU is shit
literally just inferiour versions of Unix programs

>it was a trend at MIT to use recursive acronym
moral dilemma for RMS
You want everyone to use free software however not name it GNU (make up a different name like POSIX) or everyone uses the name GNU however no one is using GNU or free software.

At one point you need to decide what is more important the ideals of the GPL and getting people to use it or MIT trendy joke names.

The moment he decides to stop making lectures on names and simply rebrands his names and starts making lectures on the ideals of the GPL and getting people to use GPL software we talk.

>POSIX is a set of standards, not an OS name
POSIX is a name right?!
POSIX is a name RMS invented right?!
POSIX is a name that was assigned to the concept of "a set of standards".

I'm saying if the name was used for a OS it would be far better.
Because the name sounds cool.

>Originally everything was GNU except for the kerne
How is it now?
Especially in relation to DEs etc?

If you torrent a game - It does make it "free software" as well!

I don't think anybody on Sup Forums would honestly argue against Stallman's contributions to free software, the GNU project and Linux.

I'm sure people would respect him more if he wasn't a bird-sexual hobo-looking autistic virgin that eats his foot gunk in public and spergs out during talks. It's his own fault that nobody takes him seriously anymore.

Cause he's fat and eats shit of his feet

>Implying a bunch of coreutils and a libc have more lines than the linux kernel
Go back to eating chees out of your foot rms

>If "GNU" was a one-syllable word
>GNU is a stupid and unpronounceable word

Single syllable with a hard g is how the word "gnu", a common noun (type of antelope) present in pretty much all first world languages, is pronounced in most of them. I've always unironically wondered why English users have such a hard time with it. It's not exactly a tongue twister, yet even RMS pronounces it in a retarded, two-syllable way.

That's objectively wrong though, if it waren't for RMS Linux would have just used BSD userland and utils.

>>GNU is a stupid and unpronounceable word
>no it's not, ganoo, literally two syllables
Its not a word that existed in any language especially in English (actually stated by RMS).
The G was never supposed to be pronounced it stands for a clicking sound the British where incapable of writing so they wrote a G and added a note saying it stands for a clicking sound (actually stated by RMS).

This is what RMS literally is saying openly!

> the kernel, which is often combined with GNU userspace, in order to create a complete and usable operating system. Without GNU, the kernel, Linux, is unusable.
FACTUALLY WRONG! (and one of the reasons why RMS is wrong on this)

GNU is also useless without the kernel!
So checkmate, saying it this way implies that GNU is somehow above the kernel who is something like a web browser or some shit and this is completely wrong!

GNU programs are worthless without the kernel and this is a fact!

With this out of the way if you want to have a dick measuring competition you can say the kernel dose not need GNU because it can run itself while GNU can not run itself.

the BSD components were under a proprietary license until RMS convinced them otherwise. linux couldn't have used them

BSD has always been under BSD license.
The only change to that was a migration from 4 Clause to 3 Clause BSD.

I understand that the GNU project started it all.
I also understand that RMS is important.
However GNU is a pain to say.

Real corporations spend millions on studies how the public will react to brand names and even they get fucked when people refuse to adopt a name.

Remember the iWatch
>Stop saying iWatch REEEEEE
>Its the Apple Watch REEEEEE
youtube.com/watch?v=Cux9T9wvERs

If he did rebrand it under a different name gladly.
However crippling talking to people is not something I will do.

Attached: why_rms_sucks.jpg (1000x898, 190K)

>then scrape something off your foot and eat it
this is funny because it's true!

>BSD clowns credit, as autistic as they are, (they really are the ruler we use to measure autism),
I have never spoken or interacted with a BSD clown.
How can I see them?

Its always RMS shills and Linux fanboys.

Show me the BSD people.
My body is ready.

Attached: 91jEhLbsdTL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 514K)

>GNU is also useless without the kernel!
you can have the gnu libs running on windows, fagos, *bsd, solaris/openindiana/e.t.c..
You argument, which is stolen from linus tech tips, is invalid and stupid.

>you can have the gnu libs running on windows,
STOP!
We are talking on their own you are changing the subject here.

GNU can not run on its own.

With this out of the way you can equally say you can have a Linux OS without using GNU and mother fucking Android is the best example of this!

Every time you say this factually wrong crap the RMS fanboys and him lose credibility.

The GNU utilities and the Linux kernel are one of the building blocks of a OS other kernels and other utilities can be used with them.
Stop constructing your words to suggest the kernel is a web browser app or some shit!

You are humiliating yourself with this.
like RMS did by saying this crap.

Attached: 1_3IdHiapVqBJX67_CUadVwA.jpg (1692x1135, 176K)

>you can have the gnu libs running on windows, fagos, *bsd, solaris/openindiana/e.t.c..
There are people in this very thread saying GNU/Linux should be called just GNU, like here. Should Windows, MacOS and the rest of them be called just GNU as well? Obviously not, since GNU isn't everything. It's not the end program the user is running (usually, there are a few that are a part of the project) nor is it the part that interacts with hardware. It's just some stuff between those two.

>GNU can not run on its own.
gnu hurd??

Thanks for spreading awareness.

For people arguing "it's just linux", please read: gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

It's not about "knowing it better" or "against language" or "stealing credit"; it's about making people aware that they are using a system made so the can have freedom and that it is the success, the root and the heart of the community.

It would not be false to the facts, but it is not the best thing to do. Here are the reasons we call that system version “GNU/Linux” rather than just “GNU”:

— It's not exactly GNU—it has a different kernel (that is, Linux). Distinguishing GNU/Linux from GNU is useful.
— It would be ungentlemanly to ask people to stop giving any credit to Linus Torvalds. He did write an important component of the system. We want to get credit for launching and sustaining the system's development, but this doesn't mean we should treat Linus the same way those who call the system “Linux” treat us. We strongly disagree with his political views, but we deal with that disagreement honorably and openly, rather than by trying to cut him out of the credit for his contribution to the system.
— Since many people know of the system as “Linux”, if we say “GNU” they may simply not recognize we're talking about the same system. If we say “GNU/Linux”, they can make a connection to what they have heard about.
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justgnu

Attached: 1471756940040.png (1000x1400, 1.2M)

Are you pretending to be stupid to misinform or are you really this stupid?

>gnu hurd
On its own means without a kernel!
Hurd is a kernel!

GNU utilities can work if they are combined with a kernel on their own they are not running.
The linux kernel like every kernel is useless on its own (can run itself BTW; 100% academic wankery) however it can function with other utilities and android is the best example of Linux - GNU + other utilities.

You obviously are not understanding that GNU and the Linux kernel are parts of multiple OSs useless on their own.

Linus does nothing than approving commits and yelling at people. The kernel us developed by the community and several companies.

nice
I like this question answered.

What part of modern OSs is GNU exactly?
Lets say
Debian
Mint
Fedora

What part of the codebade is GNU in them?
The user is interacting mostly with the DE.
And its far more important for the user what DE is on the system.

I know this is pasta from the site, but I'll have to say that the word "Linux" is not going anywhere. People know or have heard about Linux and think the system is Linux and distros are different versions of it. There are significantly fewer people who know about the word "GNU". It's not even something they can easily remember while talking about the thing they know, Linux. I know the name GNU was coined decades ago, but I would suggest dropping it anyway. It could be swapped to another three letter thing that actually means something: FSF. I actually think that people might bother to say "Linux FSF" instead of just "Linux". At least FSF has a clear meaning about the cause and when you once learn it you might remember it.

come on dude don't be dumb
look up a list of gnu utils and tell me you don't use them frequently
>rm
>cp
>chown
>mv
>ls
>dd
>sha*sum
the list just goes on

GNU is the core system since the 80s. It's being used as pure GNU, but mostly in combination with different kernels such as Solaris, kFreeBSD and most popular with Linux. "Linux systems" are mostly, but not always "GNU variants". It's good to make differences, since embedded systems and small footprint systems like alpine aren't GNU variants, but systems based in linux. Mint, Fedora are GNU variants based on Linux, while the Debian project provides also GNU variants based on kFreeBSD and Hurd.