/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=SIwrOhATiE0 [Open]

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:
→ #

Attached: 969C56FD-F8EE-4D68-9012-884ADA85B157.jpg (4032x3024, 3.12M)

Other urls found in this thread:

vintagewatchstraps.com/waterproof.php
vintagewatchstraps.com/omega.php#Marine
watchshop.com/mens-seiko-titanium-kinetic-watch-ska765p1-p100013433.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for smart watch

Attached: 5647800_sd.jpg (381x640, 61K)

Approximate decompression time

Why did the last thread 404?

Attached: Victorinox-Swiss-army-Night-Vision-ad-light-on.jpg (860x732, 51K)

What the fuck, that's not the previous thread you linked to?

What did you do to the other active one?

I'm appalled.

Are you going to buy it or just keep posting this image? If you like it that much, you should just get it.

To the person last thread looking for a 2k- vintage ladies swiss watch: Tudor princess oysterdate is the right answer. There's also quirkier stuff like this. Both are well under budget.

Attached: 20180301_215344.jpg (4032x3024, 2.5M)

Why delete previous thread mods?

I like the victornox Jim from the us version of The Office wears. The amazon reviews were not that good

Attached: 1173361_fpx.jpg (1200x1250, 143K)

Omega clan, report in.

Attached: IMG_20150420_181348~2.jpg (2340x2387, 828K)

Attached: a2962d6c3a0d8b86d34aaf3cf6a5878b.jpg (411x227, 38K)

What the fuck is going on?

Salty mods

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20171201_144017.jpg (2376x2375, 1.94M)

What watch do mods wear? Keep in mind they do it for free.

unironically

fucking mods, no fun allowed

Attached: 74229E1C-46FF-44F6-91C7-FABD20EA5D7F.jpg (1350x1800, 739K)

Attached: 20180324_092807.jpg (2896x2896, 734K)

am i wrong to think every diver is too derivative of a rolex? Or is rolex too copying some golden ideal?

Top right and bottom left both touch my tralala.

>Copying some golden ideal

Literally the Blancpain 50 Fathoms. I don't actually know enough about watches to say if there's anything earlier that laid down the ground for modern diver designs.

thanks. I'm surprised I haven't seen it posted here before. Im also wondering where i apply and how much seiko pays shills because I just graduated college and can't find work

Attached: Blancpain_Fifty_Fathoms_Automatique_soldier_1000.jpg (850x850, 288K)

There were earlier watches designed to resist water but the blancpain really was the first archetypal diver as we know it today.

Attached: NqB2q2.jpg (1024x768, 139K)

Wish I still had bottom left but I had to send it back as it didn't work properly. To bad, had gotten a great price on it.

Nice

How is that practical?

When will GS just make a 38 or 39mm Snowflake so I can buy one /wt/? Surely nobody in Japan can be buying that huge thing.

How is it not? When you need to wine or set the watch, you pop it out of its case and do so.

It's not a diver watch; just a water resistant watch.

obsoltete in like 2 years lmao

Alright, answer me this, /wt/: If one quartz crystal oscillates at 32768Hz and another at 32769Hz how much is the difference between the two?
>1Hz
>1KHz
>one ten-thousandth of a kilohertz
>one ten-thousandth of hertz
Don't expect an answer from me, I don't know either.

Attached: 32khz_oscillator.jpg (300x214, 5K)

I guess that makes sense, do you have more pictures?

I don’t understand this either all the guys there have 5.5 wrists but wear 45mm watches

> What am I reading
i-it's 1Hz user. Are you okay?

would anyone believe i got the GS logo tattooed after my grandpa left me his seiko. I was abusing pills at the time

Shinzo Abe gets it, wears either the 38mm Speedmaster Reduced or the 39mm SARC013 like here. Looks perfectly proportioned even if I wouldn't choose those watches.

Attached: r6HNM44.jpg (950x649, 69K)

Sure

Attached: Omega Marine Standard 1.jpg (400x267, 18K)

One hertz is an oscillation that's one second long. The difference here is an oscillation that has a length of less than a thirty-two thousandth of a second.

Vintagewatchstraps has a great authoritative page on early waterproofing which includes a great section on the Omega marine.
vintagewatchstraps.com/waterproof.php
vintagewatchstraps.com/omega.php#Marine

Attached: Omega Marine Standard 2.jpg (400x266, 17K)

A lot better than brainlet Trudeau with his enormous IWC.

Attached: justin-trudeau-liberal-leader-federal-election-2015.jpg (620x349, 52K)

Could be worse

Attached: Obama2007Mar550.jpg (750x483, 147K)

Wtf Obama no

I suppose to put it another way, if you overlay a 32768hz signal and a 32769hz signal, you get an interference that ends up sounding like a combination of a 1hz signal and a 65537hz signal. In some pedantic sense that's the "difference" of the two signals.

Image not to scale.

Attached: twitter-card.png (1200x630, 202K)

Will you Burgers ever have a Datejust/Day-Date or a Vulcain Cricket president again?

Lmao, the janny is a butthurt spic

Attached: IMG_20180324_150020.jpg (1955x2350, 729K)

Let's see it

Niggas at sinn put Ar. coating on the display case back. German autism is kinda funny

Attached: 20170822_224324.jpg (4032x3024, 3.22M)

That's kinda interesting, but I'm more concerned with how to describe this kind of difference.

So how do you describe if a quartz crystal is defective with a frequency of 32679Hz (or 32677Hz)? How do you describe this difference?

Reminder that the Dalai Lama owns a 1943 Patek perpetual calendar with moon phase, split-seconds chronograph, and minute repeater gifted to him by FDR himself via delivery from the grandson of Leo Tolstoy at the age of 7. Literally unbeatable.

Attached: cover.jpg (1500x1000, 381K)

It's the same for any measurement that is integrated. They must be compared relatively, in your example a frequency of 32769 hz is .003% faster. Or to get an error of 1 actual cycle per second you will need to wait 32768 seconds.

Where it in good health

Holy shit

watchshop.com/mens-seiko-titanium-kinetic-watch-ska765p1-p100013433.html

Any good?

I would say the oscillator is 1hz fast (or slow). The reason I would measure it that way has to do with how most basic quartz watches implement their inhibition period. In most quartz watches, the crystal is intentionally cut to oscillate at a somewhat faster rate than 32768. Then after it is cut, the watch implements an inhibition mechanism, where once in some fixed period (usually 10s or 60s), the watch waits for a greater number of oscillations than 32768 to advance the second hand. So for example if the oscillator ran at a known 32769hz, the watch would advance the hands nine times after 32768 oscillations each (and this be running too fast), and then for the tenth hand advancement wait for 32778 oscillations before advancing the hands.

On any sufficiently sensitive timegrapher than can measure quartz watches the effect is pretty obvious to see.

Attached: fig7.png (600x140, 24K)

Where's the best place to buy a second hand Rolex? Is eBay a bad idea?
I'm looking for a £3000 Explorer.

Seiko kinetic is the all the worst parts of mechanical watches without the good ones. If you like the look of it then fine but that would be a question for /fa/ not Sup Forums

I like it

Solar is better though, memes aside

Are you going to be able to tell the difference between a real Rolex and a fake? If you've done the level of research and are confident in your ability to do so, then she. Otherwise, for Rolex, stuck to reputable dealers.

Well the most recent Explorer fakes are almost indistinguishable without removing the back cover. user needs to get this watch to a dealer to confirm it's legit if you're buying on eBay.

So I guess it's best do describe this difference as one hertz in 32768 seconds?

I'm aware of inhibitor circuits and the generic quality of precision in crystal oscillator production, my question was more theoretic/semantics, and this would be more of an issue with trimmer cap equipped movements. I assume a movement will have either a trimmer cap or an inhibitor circuit but not both.

>On any sufficiently sensitive timegrapher than can measure quartz watches the effect is pretty obvious to see.
On that point, what the fuck is that picture from? Looks like TG, but mine doesn't have a quartz mode, apart from the calibration function.

I'd be very worried about buying off ebay for this exact reason unless the seller also has a brick & mortar store. Same for chrono24.

It's the tg calibration function.

From a pretty semantics point it's right to say the difference is one Hertz (which means 1 cycle per second). After one second the two oscillators are off by one cycle. After two seconds they are off by two cycles. After three seconds they are off by there cycles. One cycle per second. One Hertz.

I have no idea what is trying to say.

>So I guess it's best do describe this difference as one hertz in 32768 seconds?
Yes, but you may as well express it in a percent because that's a more directly comparable format. 1/32768 is the very same .003% I gave before.

Neat

I'll try to use the calibration function to regulate a trimmer cap Citizen. Though I don't have high hopes. I've been trying to find one of these for a while for a reasonable price.

Attached: QT-99_1.jpg (1000x667, 97K)

It's because a single cycle per second is a vastly different measurement than a cycle per second difference between two measurements. It's semantics mostly.

Attached: 7AE8923D-CF6C-4649-BFA6-2C0CB32CD991.jpg (900x900, 335K)

Mallnigger user here, I just saw the SKX007 irl for the first time, a customer brought a brand new one for bracelet sizing.

They're not bad.

Attached: skx-007.jpg (820x547, 111K)

To get an error of one cycle you need to wait 1 second. If you are using both of these oscillators to run a second hand that advances every 32768 cycles you need to wait 32768 seconds to have those two seconds hands disagree by one second. But I have no idea what it means to say you need to wait 32768 seconds to have an error of one cycle per second. You always have a difference of one cycle per second.

How much is the Black Bay 58 gong to be in UK?

Yeah before this got totally destroyed I was trying to find a rubidium tester to use to regulate it.

Attached: 20180318_194430-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.35M)

What happened to it?

Given it's listed as $3500 (no sales tax) it'll be around £3k with VAT.

Wonder how much that will sell for when he kicks the bucket.

Remember that is watch as you see it is not like the original. Well, not exactly. The 50 fathoms has been extinct for decades and was only ressurected relatively recently by the shell that is the new blancpain. The rolex of 70 years ago is still the same company.

Also, check the dates etc., because I remember something along the lines of the fact that yes, the 50fath was released first, but at the same time rolex might have been already working on the first submariner anyway and blancpain just happened to beat them to releasing it.

Might just be rolexfag fanfic wishful thinking, but there might be more to the story.

I have no idea. One day it just went from a very stable 23spy to this.

Attached: Screenshot_20180318-190411.png (1440x2560, 234K)

asian dudes seem to love XboxHueg watches
even the girls wear big bulky G-shocks

Both blancpain and Rolex were working on their watches at same time, and the were both released in 1953.

Thanks, bro. Not too shabby.

1 Hz=1 cycle per 1 second, ie your second hand. Every 32786 seconds you are off by one cycle (second). A 1 Hz error on a normal frequency of 32768 hz is .00003 seconds per second. It's just different ways of expressing the same error.

I did Bob's Watches and had a good experience, I would recommend them. I don't know what the market is in the UK, but I paid about $4100 which is a bit less than 3000 bongs. That was for a 114270 in excellent condition with box and papers, so I would think you should be able to find something in good condition for that price.

I also have a bunch of photos of the paperwork and serial numbers engraved on the watch and stuff if that's the same reference that you're thinking of buying. I posted it before to help an user identify if a 114270 he wanted to buy was legit.

>Surely nobody in Japan can be buying that huge thing.
I've heard it before elsewhere on WUS etc., and I remember some nipanon who came to one of these threads a few years ago said also, and also some expat fags who were in japan said the same thing:
Japs don't wear grand seiko. Not in the numbers you would think.

The nips that can afford a luxury watch wear what people that can afford luxury watches wear the world over:
Rolex, patek, (omega) etc., etc.
They wear swiss.
Sure there'll be the odd jap that will buy the top range of their homegrown horology, but it's not common. Unless said jap is trying to make some kind of nationalistic statement.

Remember:
You can buy grand seiko in shops that sell calculator and wall clocks and consumer camera crap in Japan.
The swiss brands have their high end boutiques in all the most expensive locations.
It's only recently that Seiko have taken steps in this marketing regard.

GS churn out relatively few watches per year compared to say, rolex. If GS was so popular in the internal market, and it was predominately bought by japs, then there just wouldn't be any left for the international market.

It's a testament to Swiss marketing that people that have access to really nice domestic watches still desire that "swiss made" on the dial (or the crown, or the calatrava cross etc.)
Most japs would've heard of Rolex. Most also wouldn't even know that seiko had a top line or would only be vaguely aware of the fact.
Fucking 50 years of good marketing will do that.

So, those models may not necessarily be big because Japs want it big (though they probably do, as it's a retarded trend throughout asia that's spread to the west and elsewhere), but because it's a trend worldwide.

Some robot on /r9k/ told me it was stupid and a waste of money to wear watches. He said they are pointless in 2018 since we have phones that tell the time. And they are just worn to show how much money you have. I told him I had a cheap Timex Weekender I really love. (pic related). He said never wear cheap watches cause it makes you look bad.

Agree or disagree?

Attached: 81xg-9qR30L._SL1500_.jpg (1120x1500, 197K)

He said a lot of stuff huh

Interesting thanks. I'll be interested to see the state of GS in a couple of decades and how perceptions have changed if at all.

Nobody in the real world cares what watch you're wearing apart from you.

Being on /r9k/ and being a robot is stupid and a waste of food and oxygen. Those people are absolutely delusional and pathetic.

Attached: 236845E6-19C3-4510-9AC1-7DC864DC2D94.jpg (4032x3024, 3.84M)

Wait, what?
Why do I want a Rolex then?

ah I know, but I'm basically a failed normie so I do go there.

He said girls notice cheap watches and will normies would laugh at the Weekender. But I figured he was just trolling me

Anyways, I plan to upgrade to this. It's a little more expensive.

Attached: 91EfTv79tML._UY679_.jpg (363x679, 75K)

Nice stealth wealth Rolex

To prove to yourself that you "made it".

Their marketing is very good

Attached: 7FF8997D-AC89-4D58-BC19-EAB4C8E2B137.jpg (4032x3024, 3.78M)

Sure, why not.

Attached: 20170328_221308-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.39M)

Taking them all out to give them a bath. As soon as the weather warms up my disgusting sweat and grime starts to get into every crease and nook on them.

Attached: IMG_20180324_104414.jpg (2960x2585, 1.18M)

>I'm basically a failed normie
>normie
Sounds like you're fitting in just fine

I’ll clean them for you

nice. I really like the looks of these. i want a black one but they're over 100.