There is no point in buying new laptops. Change my mind using facts

Change my mind using facts.
There is no point in buying new laptops.
There is no need to buy new laptops they stagnated with 4 GiB of RAM and can not handle the web.
Zero improvement over 2009 laptops who also have 4GiB of RAM.

Literally no point in buying one especially that all of them are still vulnerable to spectre and meltdown.

Attached: 9 years of stagnation.jpg (2500x7768, 1.69M)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834735553
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAUA6MV2421
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078HM3N3T/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1521913023&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=16gb laptop ram&dpPl=1&dpID=41qqDvwLY4L&ref=plSrch
r.ebay.com/jFAA6C
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-P50-15-i7-6820HQ-32GB-DDR4-512GB-SSD-M2000M-1080p-Touch-2020-Warranty/253325705244?hash=item3afb63801c:g:YSwAAOSwid1Z~0v4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

whats the point of that image? you can buy shit laptops any year.

Where are the 16 GiB laptops?
Laptops are stuck ethereally at 4GiB for years.

8th gen low power cpus are nice, got myself a i7 8650u, also with a gtx 1060 which is nice in ultrabook format. Also 16GB ram and nvme.

Im happy

Notebook gpus use to be crappy and no battery. Now its pretty sweet.

Price and link.

>Change my mind using facts
You are retarded.

surface book 2

dat screen aspect ratio, dat keyboard, dat battery life

aren't laptops with discrete gpus loud and hot though?

*tips 1366x768 TN screen*

Surface book is good because Cpu top GPu bottom. Stays really cool, no noise like razer blade.

Also CPU thermals are done proper, dosent do the stupud throtlle to 0.1GHz like macbooks. Stays steady.

>tfw your laptop just broke
There your fact and there your (You).

You are talking about this
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834735553
Costs its weight in gold my man.

Nice only the price.
Meanwhile practically everywhere the (((top of the line))) laptops have forever 4GiB.
The laptop I used for the example is displayed at new egg.

2018 and 4GiB of RAM.
literally no point in buying if you have another laptop.

Why not buy a old and used laptop then?
cheaper.

Also what will you do with the example laptop?
Do you really need a portable 3D-render/bitcoin-miner?
Because there is no other use for this.

Yeah price is not nice.
Used to be totally against spending this much. Could have built a cosy threadripper 1950x for same price.

Now its not even half a months salary. So just went for it.

Microcode updates patched meltdown and spectre 2 months ago.
If you use a decent OS (Linux) a new BIOS is not even required.

daily reminder that there has been no real improvement in CPU performance since Sandy Bridge.

Its a great laptop only I expected practically ever normal laptop(excluding scam and ultra budget hobo laptops) to have 16GiB by now.

I mean why did laptops stagnate this hard?
While Desktops can and have loads of RAM.
And this happened before this (((RAM crisis))) we have now.

At this point I'm considering simply to SSH into my desktop using old laptops over the internet.

You can get a quad core laptop with 8gb of RAM with a discrete GPU for $700. That shit was impossible 8 years ago

Trully the worst resolution of them all.

>X230
Kill yourself.

I know.
I was thinking fix it on the hardware level not using patches in software.
I was thinking that some retard will bring up
>muh meltdown and spectre
>U old CPU not safe from meltdown and spectre
So I added it as the cherry on the roasting.

Its not that big of a point and its on the end.
The main point is that you have only 4GiB of RAM in this thing in 2018.

Macbook pros all have 16gb

CPUs have gotten faster and more power efficient. Even though the number of cores hasn't gone up, architecture improvements have made them a bit faster each generation.

previosuly I sold of my thinkpad x220(maximum cosy) and picked up a xiaomi air 13 for 500 new.
Was great, lovely samsung pls screen, two nvme slots, nice build, dedicated gpu, akg speakers...

I just needed a quad core and wanted more gpu for muh games.
Was going to grab a desktop but now trying the laptop only lifestlye.

I agree with op I use daily a T60.
What's the point of a powerful laptop anyway, I just ssh into my desktop.

Yeah whole point of post was for 500 new I had the 8GB ram, even though you can shell out more for the 16GB version if you want.

They just made a refresh of the xiaomi air 13 with 8th gen quad cores and 16GB ram. Just grab one of those cupons like I did. Was super happy with it and would buy this updated version if I didnt have the cash for the surface book.

Why are you takung ram as the only metric

>That shit was impossible 8 years ago
I literally have a 4GiB laptop from 2009.
>8gb of RAM
This is a meh at this point.
Everything needs 16GiB minimum.

>CPUs have gotten faster
>architecture improvements have made them a bit faster each generation
And I have a question.
The living fuck will you do with this CPU/GPU power?
I ask one more!
its not like you can even game on this thing because the 4 GiB of RAM will cripple you hard.
And all the office/multimedia tasks work the same.
Its not like you need a super new CPU to play movies.

>Macbook pros all have 16gb
However they are Macbooks.

I'm asking why 16GiB is not the standard and why I constantly see 4GiB displayed everywhere in every store as their best offer.
Its not that you can not find 16GiB its that everyone is stuck with 4GiB and pushing them like its OK and not some bizarre crippling overspecialization because the web is kind of a big thing.

Thanks.

>Macbook pros all have 16gb

Goes to apple.com
click buy macbook pro

8gb 8gb 8gb....

>Why are you takung ram as the only metric
Because if you increase everything else and keep the RAM at 4GiB you are effectively practicing some bizarre Crippling Overspecialization.
You can not comfortably brows the web on that thing or play modern AAA games like at all, at these things tend to be big.

I ask one more!
The living fuck will you do with this CPU/GPU power?
its not like you can even game on this thing because the 4 GiB of RAM will cripple you hard.
And all the office/multimedia tasks work the same.
Its not like you need a super new CPU to play movies.

Attached: Crippling Overspecialization.png (256x557, 142K)

Are you actually retarded? You can look on eBay and Amazon right now and pick up a 16gib ram laptop for $300-$400

>paid 1k USD for brand new p50 thinkpad 2 months ago (1.5-2 yr after release)
>16 gb ram
>4 gb m2000m
>i76820HQ 2.7 ghz
>1920x1080 HD
>256 GB SSD OPAL
>thunderbolt port
>expandable SSD slot
>2 expandable HDD ports
>expandable to 4k or 1080 touch screen (although only a retard would use a touch screen for anything but drawing waifus)
>expandable RAM up to 64 GB

I use it for my business, office, photo/vid/music editor/gaymes(only patrician titles such as AoEII), music, videos, shitposting, storage, dual boot Ubuntu for LAMP, etc. Runs everything fast. Never overheats.

The laptops you compared are both trash. Nobody who knows anything about computers should ever own either of those. Laptops have gotten way better. It is you who has stagnated.

>inb4 muh intel botnet (if the government wants to fuck you libre/coreboot won't protect you)
>inb4 muh wangblows (p50/51 has great Ubuntu integration)
>inb4 muh desktop (battlestation is incomplete without both)

btw don't bother trying to get this laptop at this price anymore i got the last one off of eBay

I was looking at new egg.
And every store I visit I quickly look at the offers.
Can you give some links?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAUA6MV2421

>btw don't bother trying to get this laptop at this price anymore i got the last one off of eBay
Exactly like expected.

>I literally have a 4GiB laptop from 2009.
I meant for the price, also here's a 16gb RAM laptop
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B078HM3N3T/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1521913023&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=16gb laptop ram&dpPl=1&dpID=41qqDvwLY4L&ref=plSrch
probably shit processor but it's just for proving the point.

r.ebay.com/jFAA6C

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-P50-15-i7-6820HQ-32GB-DDR4-512GB-SSD-M2000M-1080p-Touch-2020-Warranty/253325705244?hash=item3afb63801c:g:YSwAAOSwid1Z~0v4

16 GB extra RAM, touch screen and 512 SSD are roughly $500 plus you would have to install them. Pretty much the same deal as I got just not the same config

Hmm I learned something new today.
Strange that all I did see was 4GiB.

I only have one question.
Why are these 16GiB laptops getting sold out like they are on fire?

Attached: ?.png (767x370, 101K)

They actually aren't. I was asking the same thing as you are right now but that laptop has had "one left" for over a week now so it must be some kind of Jew trick

Because they're trash

DDR3 RAM is cheap as fuck now that everyone and their mother uses DDR4 and 5

And your crapbook pro is better with it 4GiB of RAM right?

It's like the former one was $1999 new and the latter is $399 new.

Ryzen mobile is almost here

>i only shop at bestbuy

what are you talking about ? you can get 16 gb on every 2016-2017 macbook pro

Attached: 22f59c7b1fcfb036aa8b3706be731333.png (974x527, 166K)

Stop giving these Sup Forumstards attention.

I have a lenovo Y470 with 16GB of RAM from 2011. It cost me $850 new + $100 for the RAM which was an upgrade.

Today it is literally impossible to get those specs at this price. It's worse than stagnation.

Recommend me a cheap laptop for programming and writing, only requirement is that it has a decent cpu, got an old piece of shit and the battery is getting worse every day.

>Where are the 16 GiB laptops?
>Laptops are stuck ethereally at 4GiB for years.
Mine are all at 8GB (X200 and X220)

I have a 16gb Lenovo E545 with AMD A10 quad core and 1tb drive and it plows through websites and everything I throw at it, it's a 2013-era laptop and it can handle Photoshop and Lightroom with multiple pages open and a game running in the background on W7 Enterprise. It can play some newer titles too, not as well as my Threadripper desktop but I didn't buy this thing to play games.

The difference between the laptops in OPs picture is that ThinkPad was a premium model that cost thousands of dollars new, like my T61, and 4gb was a LOT of memory back then, the other laptop in the picture is an entry level notebook that would fall on its face if it tried to do half of the things my E545 can do at the same time, and I bet 10 years from now it won't still work, those ThinkPads are bulletproof. I have a 486 ThinkPad on the back burner as a retro gaymes project that was made when I was a first-grader.

You get what you pay for

>16GB for $200

Jesus fucking christ applel

>Today it is literally impossible to get those specs at this price.
Literally retarded.

Would a more powerful CPU result in worse battery life even if you keep the load low?

Generally newer faster CPUs are more power efficient, also Windows downclocks based on your prefered battery performance.

Hey man, the extra price is worth it. It has a special feature that lets you suck Steve Job's dick
even in the afterlife.

There is no point in buying new laptops. Only new servers to ssh into.

this

poor, are we?

Attached: 1489791987876.jpg (1440x1440, 234K)