ITT

post overrated artists on Sup Forums

you first op :^)

The Beatles

ok_kid.jpg

maudlin of the Well

I'd say something genuine, but that'd just mean this thread can breath it's first breath.

bump

Radiohead
Swans
Death Grips
Phil Elverum
Weezer
+@
David Bowie

who am I missing

Avalanches

death grips for sure
fucking garbage

>Phil
How is he overrated? He's genuinely great

yeah definitely

He's solidly decent at best
I like the guy but people act like he's some incredible artist
he's just a dude in seattle or wherever the fuck. a dude in the pacific northwest

Oh come on, Swans and Phil definitely have enough fantastic albums to justify their cult following

>Swans
literally has like, 2.
Filth and SFTB.

>solidly decent
But he's made some stuff that is actually fantastic. Mount Eerie, Wind's Poem, Sauna, and as overrated as it is The Glow Pt. 2 are all so much better than decent, and so is a lot of his other work, like Mount Eerie Pts. 6&7.

The only sense that he's overrated comes from newbies who think that the Glow Pt. 2 is harsh noise or the pinnicle of experimentation, but that doesn't detract from his actual best work. Plus, Phil never stagnates, every album is something more or less new

>Mount Eerie, Wind's Poem, Sauna, and as overrated as it is The Glow Pt. 2 are all so much better than decent
right they're good
idk whenever I hear or see a person have a Phil album in their GOAT chart I just smirk and pat their head "OK son, whatever you say"
like he's good. but he doesn't make GOAT music

But Cop and Public Castration is a good idea are the best no wave

The Great Annihilator is great, and so is Swans are Dead and The Gate.

Not that their bad, but Filth and SFTB aren't the best just because they're Sup Forumscore

GOAT as in the greatest of all music? Of course he's not in that class, but in more specialized charts of Popular Music genres, he could definitely be found

>The Seer isn't great
>TBK isn't great
>Cop isn't great

I'm waiting til you stop breathing as a demonstration of being contrary since everyone does it.

>Not that their bad, but Filth and SFTB aren't the best just because they're Sup Forumscore
They're the best because they're the only statements that they've made
Everything else is derived from those or is a halfbaked precursor

Those two aren't the only "statements" that they've made. Just from Filth to Cop, the sound is a lot different. Filth is very melodic with the presence of two drummers while Cop is just miserable and noisy. The sound isn't all that similar. And public castration isn't that similar either

Swans's more recent post rock stuff isn't similar to SFTB, albeit not as good, but like I said, The Gate is great.

Just because the albums from each particular era fall into the same genre doesn't mean that they're just copies of the first album of that respective era, the albums within each one can actually be quite different.

>Just from Filth to Cop, the sound is a lot different. Filth is very melodic with the presence of two drummers while Cop is just miserable and noisy. The sound isn't all that similar. And public castration isn't that similar either
You're having to nitpick, it's clear that even you understand how slight the differences are.
>Swans's more recent post rock stuff isn't similar to SFTB
It's very similar, Helpless Child is basically their template.

>how slight the differences are
They really are significant. One could tap their foot or even dance to Filth, but that isn't possible with Cop or PCiaGI

>Helpless Child is basically their template
Maybe TBK and My Father Will Guide me, but to be fair, you could say that about, like, a quarter of all Post Rock

Besides, even if the album isn't making some kind of "'statement", it can still be good

>but that isn't possible with Cop or PCiaGI
Oh come on Screw and Coward have definite grooves
>Besides, even if the album isn't making some kind of "'statement", it can still be good
And overrated as fuck

Those two particular songs, yeah, but only the studio versions. The live versions definitely do not

Any yeah they can be overrated, and Post Revival Swans are imo, but from '83 to '96, they were genuinely great, and they're still good, but overrated now

On Sup Forums? Hell no, plenty of people here call out radiohead.

Anyway, captain beefheart

That's better than most m8

I dont know how it is for you but for me a lot of those artists are only mentioned here in Sup Forums, and I dont think that makes them overrated.
I've never met anybody who knows Swans or phil. Nd that makes them underrted in My eyes

>I dont know how it is for you but for me a lot of those artists are only mentioned here in Sup Forums, and I dont think that makes them overrated.

see >post overrated artists on Sup Forums
>on Sup Forums

Who makes GOAT music?

Slint. Spiderland is edgy garbage.

My balls
Theyre exposed
well fuck you

im sorry pal