Intel NUC

Anyone have experience with intel NUCs? Looking to use one as a low power Plex server.

Specs:
>i7-8650u
>TDP 15w
>up to 32gb RAM DDR4
>m.2 or 2.5in HDD

CPU gets ~9500ish passmark score, and Plex recommends 2k per 1080p stream. Only will be streaming to 3-4 devices at a time. All data is stored on a NAS, so no real concern about storage size. I basically just need something to run the plex server and manage the streaming, that is low power enough to run 24/7.

Currently running an old intel i7 920, which is a power hog.

Attached: image.jpg (1209x917, 486K)

Intel NUC have been obsoleted by AMD's Ryzen APUs

Yeah I use one for my HTPC, They are fine for that.

They're solid, though I wish they came with DUAL NICs for a small PFsense box.

Ryzen 2200G will outperform all nucs.
Form factor isnt worth all the money yozre spending on it.

I use them quite a bit as hypervisors or small NAS.

same, I have an older one and it works flawlessly for watching anime and it serves up my homepage too now that firefox won't let you load local files for your newtab

Attached: lol.png (756x378, 36K)

The PC I use for work is a Broadwell i5 NUC with an M.2 SSD. It's perfectly fine for spreadsheets, email, and word processors, which is the extent of what my job entails. Runs multi-monitor setups just fine.

No point when you can pick up a used HP elitedesk/Dell Precision/Lenovo Thinkcentre for under $300 on ebay.

>15W TDP vs 69W TDP
Right...

>Lenovo Thinkcentre
Yep, that's what I did. Old Xeon does fine for Plex streaming, for cheap.

Same here, picked up an elitedesk on the cheap that does triple duty as NAS, streaming box, and light game server for my friends. It works great.

Give me a ryzen equivalent you autistic trapfags

It is hard enough finding atom boards with dual nics at all. In stock? pff.

You don't need to transcode if you use direct play so that will vastly reduce your requirements. If you can't directly play your media then update your devices because fucking anything modern plays MKV at this point. You also don't need to use raw CPU power now that Plex supports hardware transcoding. Get something with Intel Quick Sync.

Nvidia Shield is a pretty solid alternative and it got way better support for Netflix and Amazon compared to the Intel NUC should you need them.

I have am i5-4250u nuc. Think it's called 4250WYK or some shit.

Works just fine. I'm running sonarr, radarr, ddclient, nginx, emby, deluge+vpn in dockers on a headless ubuntu-server on it, works just fine.

used to run plex instead of emby, but plex has been shitting the bill lately with their privacy shit so I bailed.

>i7
>Plex

How many concurrent clients do you expect ? How many of them will need transcoding ?

As a rule of thumb ,look up the CPU score at passmark. Every transcoded stream is roughly 2000 point ad every direct play is maybe 500(no estimate from Plex)

Don't overspend

Yeah, I've got one running in my closet hooked to to some external drives. Use it as my media server. I've got sabnzbd and rutorrent set up on it. It's damn convenient.

>System76
>(((Freedom)))

>Intel
Into the trash it goes.

>i7 920, which is a power hog.

so you are willing to spend over 700 usd just to save a 5-10 usd per year?
that is just autism

Not NUC, but I have a zotac.
AMA.

Do these things make good desktop replacements for programming?

Extremely so.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about their mobile APUs you faggot.

Hi OP, my facility has been moving over to using NUCs as our standard employee workstation. Right now I administer about 25. The one thing you need to look out for is heat management. I've seen these guys get up to 90°C, so make sure the fan profile is properly set in the BIOS and even then you may need to throttle the CPU. Otherwise they work fine.

Are you a faggot?

i7 based NUCs are audibly noisy under load.

>2k per 1080p stream
That's for transcoding. If you just serve files, even my ancient Atom N270 can handle four streams at once.

Yes. But unless you really want your computer to be this tiny, you can get a faster, more expandable mini-PC for the same price (eg Optiplex Micro or Thinkcentre M)

>TDP 15w
That's a lie (By intel). 15w is while throttling hard.
The base freq. is 1.9Ghz. The boost 4.2ghz.

This CPU is a lot better than the previous mobile CPUs (thanks amd) but...

You're overpaying just to get a small machine. $550 for the nuc, + $160 for ram and $80 for a small ssd.

You can expect this thing to draw 15w+ at idle and 50w+ at load. A poverty-tier desktop would outperform it and draw ~40w idle and ~90w load.

Or you can... Drop plex. Just dump whatever clients you have that can't decode 10bit/4k. All decent phones today can, all decent laptops can, all decent HTPCs can. Just throw that RPI in the bin and there's no need to dedicate a fucking quadcore server for video transcoding.

You're paying for the size and power draw. You can have people pay you to take PowerEdge 1950s off their hands. Infinite value, right!? If you're povery-tier, get the poverty-tier. If you need something that fits in the palm of your hand, get the NUC.

>You're paying for the size and power draw.
Yes.

>You can have people pay you to take PowerEdge 1950s off their hands.
Used servers are very overpriced in my area. But I'd probably get one just to fuck around if I could. They have awful power efficiency.

>If you're povery-tier, get the poverty-tier.
And when you're performing worse than poverty tier, it's pretty bad.

>If you need something that fits in the palm of your hand, get the NUC
And you'd need to live i a extremely small apartment to not be able to fit a desktop-size machine somewhere. The size is about style.

I'm willing to bet that by getting rid of the NAS, and putting the HDDs in a tweaked ryzen 4c machine is going to yield both better CPU performance and power draw.

Does eating your own cum make someone a faggot?

>using plex
enjoy having to stream from the internet because the client cant detect a server on a different subnet.

plex is quite literally the media streamer for complete networking inept retards

It makes you possibly mentally ill, but if it's your own I guess it's not inherently gay.