/mg/ - Software and Hardware Minimalism General

For discussing software and hardware minimalism and minimal computing lifestyle.

>What is computing minimalism?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

>Why software minimalism?
- Fewer bugs
- Better performance
- Lower memory footprint
- Better maintainability
- Higher scalability
- Longer software lifetime
- Smaller attack surface

>List of minimal OSes and distros
ix.io/ZE2

>Minimal programs lists
Suckless: suckless.org/rocks

Cat-v.org: harmful.cat-v.org/software/

Alternatives to Bloatware: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md

Window Managers: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_window_managers

Minimalism is not a lack of something. It's simply the perfect amount of something.

Attached: molly.jpg (1080x1101, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/wl
support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-common-audio-and-video-issues?as=u&utm_source=inproduct#w_you-may-need-to-install-the-required-pulseaudio-software
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Old thread:

Attached: 7.png (700x900, 85K)

eww girls!

Also, here's the distro list

Attached: Distros.png (500x2000, 352K)

and of course, the WM Ram comparison

Attached: WMramusage.png (290x319, 22K)

systemd a shit

Needs mwm, I wonder how it does.

what is the name of that browser with the L?

Links

how is w3m?

>including cat-v

I know people don't like systemd but I am quite with my setup.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-25_09-24-49.png (1366x768, 36K)

*quite happy, lol

plastic whore

Can you guys give me some tips on which packages I can remove in order to slim down my system? I'm at about 471 packages, and have already purged all the devel libraries I don't need, and have slimmed down Xorg.

Great if you don't need javascript.

is 471 really too much? i am at 626 and i dont mind it, it is still a very small footprint (148MB of RAM used after boot and startx)

Is it possible to make KDE /mg/?

>default everything

Why does this thread has a Stacy McTits as the OP image ?

Is this for the clickbait, or are Stacies McTits really minimalists ?
I thought that succubi were pretty materialists and venal.

Attached: issou.png (143x125, 28K)

I've noticed the more i learn my way around something the less frontends I need, until at one point I'm working primarily with backends and occasionally the libraries the backends use.

Is this what it feels like to be more minimalist, or is it simply over-complicating things for myself?

>somehow that is a problem

reducing bloat

Attached: ss.png (1366x768, 209K)

it's more of a joke, no one actually uses it.

Attached: links command line browser.png (2560x1600, 349K)

I would use it full time and ditch X if javascript worked in it.

bspwm reporting in. Recently updated to the latest version and I am on the fence about the changes.

Attached: scrot.png (1920x1080, 383K)

i mean
he could /happen/ to have prefrences that align perfectly with the defaults.
Or he could have unimpressively not bothered to change anything whatsoever..

this
why is it not possible to make a commandline browser with javascript functionality?

why would i need to change things that do what i need them to do?

Would it really be that hard to port webkit to the framebuffer?

>wm:
>music: emacs
>video: emacs
>image viewer: emacs
>file manager: emacs
>text editor: emacs
>shell: whatever posix shell your distro defaults to
>web browser: emacs
>terminal: terminal

>not using emacs as your wm

>using anything as wm when everything can already be done in emacs

>not using emacs as a wm to manage multiple instances of emacs in emacs

>t. Bram Moolenaar applying his design principles on emacs ecosystem

Good morning, /mg/. Reminder to install Crux!

Outdated list.

Attached: minimal.png (500x2000, 264K)

Reminder

Attached: wayland_is_minimal.png (1512x897, 241K)

w3m?

if you have a good control of the system on this setup, and can install everything you can in this void linux box, this maybe is the cooles desktop that i've seen

Why? I pretty sure is just a pain in the ass headache to setup a nice and useful desktop in it, prove me wrong.

My non free broadcom wifi didnt work on void
I tried manually installing broadcom firmware from repos
After reboot wireless interface stopped loading altogether
Any suggestions?

DEBIAN NET ISO
wiki.debian.org/wl
Broadcom BCM4311, BCM4312, BCM4313, BCM4321, BCM4322, BCM43224, BCM43225, BCM43227, BCM43228, BCM43142, BCM4331, BCM4352, BCM4360 devices (wl)

This page describes how to enable support for WiFi devices based on Broadcom wireless LAN chips, using the vendor driver on Debian systems.

arch niggers gtfo. Literally, you are the only arch nigger here

No, it's just that you're a newfag. This isn't new. Fag.

This general is filled with posers anyway. All that talk about the importance of minimalism but bring up Wayland and you all start sweating because you know it's way less bloated than Xorg but you don't want to let go of your riced out WM that doesn't work on Wayland. Not to mention Arch is actually a minimal too. It should be called "/tilg/ - Things I Like general," because that's what it comes down to.

Tell me why the iso image for arch is 500+mb. How is that even minimal?

So you can use Arch as a full live environment in case you need to fix something. What kind of question is that?

I know how to do it on debian i installed void for non systemd and basically followed the same principle but things broke

Ofc it did. Look at the fucking chart. It's hipster, no one uses it expect for hobbyists

This flowchart is retarded you don't need to have a compositor for X and then according to your chart it's the same as Wayland

he's not the only one, and you're an unemployed pathetic pseud anyways :D
Proud Arch on KDE user with more *nix, C, networking skills you will get in your entire lifetime. You have no clue what minimalism is about and how/when is useful, you just pretend. ^_^

Attached: linus.gif (480x270, 460K)

Fuck databases. Now I'll be using index and sequential files with COBOL programs.

Whats the best way to debloat my arch system?

I've tried out a couple things and have now a lot of packages, a lot more than i need, too.

I've already removed orphaned packages.

Try pacman -Qm to find all the crap you installed explicitly then pacman -Rsun whatever packages you don't want.

Which wm has proper multi monitor support?
Mainly, I want each monitor to have it's own virtual desktop unrelated to the other, So I can move between workspaces on each monitor individually

/mg/ thinks multiple monitors are bloat. Just have one try hard. Also use dwm

that only shows four packages. Can't be everything

I need one monitor setup vertically for my hentai manga consumption and another one for everyday general use

Another option is to install pacgraph, run it and check out the generated image of your entire installation. It's not the fastest way to do things but you should be able to spot what you don't want.

Attached: pacgraph.png (1413x675, 163K)

nah nah, one and one only.

/mg/ seperates your needs and wants.

>no Haiku
Shit list.

Thank you. pacman -Qn is probably what you meant earlier. -Qm only lists the manually installed ones, that are not synced.

Gonna try out pacgraph. Been using pcurses in order to do the same, but it doesn't show as much info. Thanks a lot.

That DPI is bloat.

whats dpi

I see you went a little too minimal on the education.

>wm: emacs
>music: emacs
>video: emacs
>image viewer: emacs
>file manager: emacs
>text editor: vim
>shell: bash
>web browser: emacs
>terminal: tty

how am i meant to install sourcemage? it is really really fucking old

You have to go on IRC and ask them. SourceMage is almost an invite only distro.

igonore me im a fucking idiot, looked at the website and realised that your meant to install it through chroot

Is using DOS programs minimal, even if they're technically not? I.E. DOS word processors.

>they're technically not
Why?

Anyone use alpine Linux? Been using gentoo for a while, while I like a lot of it in principle, I’m just not as comfy as I’d like to be on it. Is alpine a good distro worthy of a daily driver?

The same reason that any feature-full program isn't minimalist.

But that's wrong.

yeah man. The repo doesnt have any bloat. give it a spin in the vm first

>Firefox 52+ has PulseAudio dependencies hard-coded into the platform
>ALSA no longer plays audio at all
Soooo....? Am I just fucked into using pottershit now? What the fuck.
>inb4 use an older version
Slow as dogshit and no extensions supported anymore
>use [browser X]
Botnets, scams, or uselessly slow.
>waterfox
Based on an ESR branch, it's going to be dead in a month.

support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-common-audio-and-video-issues?as=u&utm_source=inproduct#w_you-may-need-to-install-the-required-pulseaudio-software
>Starting with Firefox 52, the PulseAudio software is required to play any audio from Firefox.

Firefox should be stripped from the list indefinitely. The only alternative is to download the entire rust compiler suite and build from source with a couple flags, which is completely retarded to do for a single program, especially with how unbelievably fucking bloated the rust compiler is

>Am I just fucked into using pottershit now? What the fuck.

Red Hat control Linux, you big dummy.

The funny thing is that people were mad at Canonical for trying to do what RHEL had already been doing for years.

There needs to be a common browser extension platform that works across multiple browsers. I hate Firefox for making Poettering shit mandatory, as well as the whole Cliqz, Riseup, and Looking Glass shit they did. However, I don't want to use a browser without support for Noscript, Decentraleyes, uBlock Origin, *insert cookie deleter here*, a vim keybinds extension, and so on.
There's a bunch of meme Loonix browsers out there running WebKitGTK or QtWebEngine that look cool and relatively lightweight, but they support literally no extensions outside of maybe a poor-quality adblocker. If there was a complete, universal, cross-platform browser extension system, you could use whatever the fuck you wanted, and bring all your favorite privacy tools with you.

>use waterfox 56
>never worry about pulseaudio again

Like XUL? Yeah, Mozilla sabotaged that.

The problem is all the people who want this kind of thing are also too fragmented about it, and the ones who aren't fragmented don't have the time to compete with web browser engines built by full-time engineers at Google or Mozilla.
Even the good alternatives are outdated forks that either rely on Firefox updates to keep working, or use Chromium Botnet Blobs (tm) to get any kind of speed.

XUL was only for Firefox. I'm talking about something that would be 100% portable across Firefox, Chrom*, Falkon, Qutebrowser, Midori, Brave, Web, etc.

You'll also never have to worry about updates again, since it's an ESR fork and ESR is dead now.

I don't see the problem here I turned off auto updates anyways because some extensions aren't updated anymore

>I don't see the problem is using web-facing software that runs client-side scripts but doesn't get any kind of updates
Are you naturally stupid or did you have to practice?

Web browsers just seem bloated by design at this point.

It's not a browser problem it's a web problem
links2 would be perfect if the internet wasn't shit

Scripts should do that. Using external applications and unix commands through and API is minimalist, and Uzbl is already doing this.

whats the command to format a usb in the terminal

fdisk

I do t have the time to mess around with a source based os any longer, but still want something minimal. What’s the best option for a binary based package manag... I mean distro that is still minimal?

RTFM, but point fdisk to your device like fdisk /dev/sdc or something, but seriously, read the manual before you screw things.

fdisk /path/to/usb/device
mkfs.*insert filesystem* /path/to/partition

Void, OwO

Attached: voidowo.jpg (2560x1600, 1.11M)

Debian net don't install any DE on install, then apt-get xorg and apt-get [whatever wm you like]
I just nuked my install because I did a kernel update and it completely fucked everything up, took about 15 minutes to download/install and then I just reran make install on my dwm file. wa-la.

>wa-la
this made me chuckle for a good 30 seconds.
It's voila, btw.

My mistake.
apt-get xorg, apt-get [wm], violin.

WebExtensions are going into the right direction regarding that.

qutebrowser supports that too (but in a quite limited way)

Yes, your mistake.
I don't even use Debian anymore, and I know the command is apt-get install [thing].
volla