Alexa

Is she always listening?

Attached: amazon-echo-2016-promo-pic-2.jpg (770x577, 38K)

Ya

Yes

What is the endgame?

she's the only one who listens

Attached: 54784612063.jpg (400x388, 30K)

what if alexa is lain

"she"

maybe I should get one.

Soon the NSA will literally be installing backdoors in our houses

Yes

maybe I should get one

Attached: 2247112_1442779609837.jpg (579x570, 29K)

They're watching you.

I already have a backdoor in my house. It's glass and slides.

Of course not...

Attached: le-happy-merchant.jpg (500x400, 30K)

its literally its job. how else will it know you called for it if it isn't listening?? the question is why would anyone assume the opposite? doesnt even make sense from the point of view of the purpose of the object itself.

Let's all love Alexa

I remember where there was a "bug" in Google Home where it recorded 24/7
And you could play back the entrie audio online
Of course she's not listening!

They dont need to. You use smartphone.

Of course not, it activates due to magic and not because it is listening until you say alexa.

you just know that the nest thermostat is backdoored.

>laughs mockingly in the background

>"Activate the hardware backdoor"

Attached: Bill.jpg (140x140, 4K)

>she
>humanising spyware devices

Attached: 1513861749209.png (500x545, 191K)

>humanising spyware devices
Brilliant strategy, eh?

It always in a low power mode with a rolling 5ish seconds of recording until it hears the wake word. Then the device actually powers up and sends an audio clip of what you say from the wake word to when it thinks your done talking.

That sounds like it would saturate their storage in short order.

>"Alexa, are you connected to the CIA?"
>*awkward silence*

Attached: 🤔.png (225x225, 4K)

This is accurate; the rolling 5s does not get uploaded unless the wake word is found in there. It's a fairly elegant solution - it cuts down on network traffic immensely. Imagine if each Alexa device was streaming to Amazon's servers 24/7.

Do you have any evidence to support this? I think OP would relax a bit.

hmmm I ran wireshark between an isolated AP and Alexa for a while to observe Alexa's behavior over time. I guess I could set that up again and post some caps, but frankly that seems like work and it's Sunday.

I mean between AP and router. Alexa's traffic is all encrypted of course but you can see the general flow of traffic and when it happens quite well.

>I mean between AP and router. Alexa's traffic is all encrypted of course but you can see the general flow of traffic and when it happens quite well.
Couldn't it be recording 24/7 and only upload to Amazon's servers when she's activated?

Alexa, do you love Lain?

Attached: 1420141170065.jpg (620x350, 55K)

>"she"

Please die in a fire.

Answers «Yes» if you’re outside the US.

assuming we know nothing about the efficiency of the audio compression codec used, there is still a marked difference in the minimum amount of data transferred for a 5-10 second clip and a multiple of 24 hours.

Of course, you could argue that they could add a little bit of that to each transmission to the Amazon servers and so on and so forth.

But at some point you're going to have to dump (given how often I call on Alexa which is really not that often and how much data gets recorded in a day if it was 24/7) and I did not observe amounts of traffic that would support that notion.

But I would say run your own tests if you're concerned.

yea shes the only one lol

Attached: data.jpg (3000x2000, 413K)

When testing out an Alexa I put it on an isolated network and ran a wireshark capture. Unless amazon is running insane compression on the audio it definitely is only sending audio like I said. which I don't think they are because with the companion app on your phone you can listen to what your alexa heard and its fairly clear sounding and not a really low bit rate.

I'm not going to waste my time for some paranoid autistic and redo this to show proof but its a test anyone can do themselves.

Though with all of this there are bigger concerns in my opinion. All of the 3rd party "home automation" stuff require add on applications to your alexa that amazon doesn't seem to control and everything is done through the internet not on your local network.

We need to petition that these companies allow us to install certificates on these devices so that we can run deep packet inspection on the traffic. Otherwise you can't trust it. If you attempt to run DPI on the Alexa's connection it will fail to connect likely due to certificate errors, and there's no way to bypass it. I asked amazon about this and they said they'd escalate it. I'm probably on a list now.

I sure hope so, I hate feeling alone

Attached: CB07230A-8764-4AB6-B91F-E9C20AE7E010.jpg (460x467, 59K)

Yes, but it can only understand some hard coded keywords that are used to trigger it. After it "heard" a keyword the main MCU is booted (very fast) and the rest of the audio is transmitted over the internet for processing.

hook it up to a router and tcpdump, n00b

Alexa, make farting noises.

dad joke

Why bother when people go out of their way to bug themselves 24/7?

Fucking pozzers, man