On a scale from 1 to 10

How terrible of an idea is to study Python if you not yet know anything about programming languages?

Attached: py_logo.png (563x375, 18K)

Real programmers start with ANSI C.

Attached: 1515764912749.png (506x606, 20K)

Pro: You can learn it very easily
Con: It simplifies many issues to non-existence so you'll have no idea of even basic concepts that are integral to programming in general

It doesn't matter what language you start with, just go for it.

www.automatetheboringstuff.com is a great resource.

honestly just learn Go at this point, it's easy to pick up but still teaches more programming concepts. hit up K&R2 if you want in on the real shit,

It is terrible if python keeps the only language somebody studys.
A good way would be: Python -> C -> C++

I don't see a problem with learning Python as your first programming language.

You could see what else is out there and see which one interests you the most. Personally, I'd say Python, Java or C# are all good options. Some on here may even suggest C, but I'd say for you it's best to take a look around and see what you like.

The truth is you won't learn anything. You just made this thread to feel good about yourself for a bit and then you'll just go back to posting in your desktop or videogame hardware threads.

If you actually cared, you could have already made it through a chapter in a Python teaching book to see if it's for you.

True

99% of the shit i use in real life is written in python or javascript
make sure you learn at least C and Java immediately afterwards tho because python lets you babby your way through everything

C, C++ and Java represent everything wrong with programming these days, don't listen to the shills on the board. Go ahead and learn Python, maybe take a look at Clojure too for a second language.

This. Python's (forced) syntax alone makes it one of the better languages for a beginner. It also has plenty of packages to help you to get shit done. You won't have to deal with memory management much though so you should then transition to C or C++. Either will give you better understanding of what the fuck you're actually doing at a lower level.

I fell for Sup Forums memes about starting with C and using just Vim instead of an IDE. I didn't make any significant progress until I switched to Python and started using Pycharm.

This user gets it, just start somewhere. Python is a great Swiss Army knife, fucking do it op. Don’t let the autists of Sup Forums steer you down the sperg highway.

I learned C, C++, Perl, Lisp/scheme, all the classical shit when I was in school in the late 90s. What do I get paid to do now? Python.

Python. It's easy to get started, there are a ton of online resources up to and including full online classes for free from MIT and other Opencourseware schools. It's the programming language that most computer science schools now teach in their intro courses.

But the real question is: What kind of programming do you want to do? If you can answer that, start with the languages that area uses (I.E. Front end developer? Start with javascript and some of it's tools/packages).

If you can't answer that question for yourself, start with python. You'll figure out where to go from there.

I've been interviewing programmers for 10 years. I work for a java shop, so if you sit across the table from me, you'd better know java. I see resumes with every language you've ever heard of and fifty more.

You know what? I don't care. I don't care if you know C/C++, rust, scheme, go, javascript, fortran, cobol, erlang, visual basic, processing, typescript... because in this shop, we write java.

I care about three things:
1) Can you write java code?
2) Can you write tests for java code?
3) Are you functional with Git?

Your ability to write tests and have at least a passing understanding of source code control will serve you well.

/thread

i think in the end its not about learning language, its about learning to program. And if you even fail - you wont because you will learn how computers work, how stuff is made and if nothing, its very interesting and knowledge is always usefull, you maybe wont be a programmer but you may end up in a higher position leading a team and knowing how stuff works is good. At least, that was my story

Writing awesome garbage != Making progress
You probably still don't have a fucking clue what you're doing

Python is the language if the late 2010s. Everyone wants it. It will take you a few years to get good at it, but once you do, you won't have trouble finding a job doing it. Then you'll *really* get good at it. And the skills will translate very easily to other languages.

Source: I started with python and now work with half a dozen languages every day

This.

Go for the tool that does something you want to do at the moment, rather than the "best language". You will pick up more languages as time goes on regardless.

This is a good bet if you are unsure what to learn. Go isn't necessarily the most expressive language in the world, but it's probably the best language atm for learning the basics as a beginner. Just make sure you do learn other languages eventually, and don't listen to anyone who says that generics are bad.

No, easy syntax is not good for beginners, it will encourage lazy practices. Learn Python after C to be able to automate and make your life easier when you need a script that doesn't need to be fast.
Learn C -> Python -> Haskell

>How terrible of an idea is to study Python

it's not terrible if you have ideas of something you want to do and get going on that quickly, python is a very high-level language but you'll learn what's going on under the hood eventually if you keep on learning. just stay clear of people recommending third-party/pip modules on stackoverflow, it's bad practice and you can solve most problems with the built in ones (there's some good modules worth learning but nothing worth downloading for a single problem).

>scripting languages

Attached: 1518988564352.png (665x800, 54K)

Python is awesome for programmers outside CS.
For instance a biologist has no time nor need to learn C, python is a better choice to get things done in no time

if OP

return faggot

elif kill yourself

At least learn Java first. Learning C would be better. But at least Java

Increasing the rate at which you figure solutions out and implement them successfully = making progress

Spending all your time working your way through the arcanery of C just to implement basic algorithms is a waste

Python is by far the best starting language

Picking a language doesn't mean anything if you're u aren't going to stick with it. That's what matters

0 every knowledge is good. Python is enough for me 99% of the People.

protip: if you want to call yourself a programmer you need to be able to build a compiler, otherwise you're just a coder like every web dev

you'll be fine. it's actually one of the best languages for startes imho

Learn Python, with an eye on C.

Python is great for getting things done, but it teaches you a TON of bad habits if you don't use it with discipline.

if you want to learn how to use a valuable tool such as programming and harness the power computers can give you in 2018, learn python.

if you want to learn how computers work, learn something else.

it's fine if you just want to use the magic without knowing how it works through all layers of abstraction. the other option is very niche.

learn python and if you're curios about what you're doing under the hood, get into it.

Lack of (), {} & ;'s & limited data structures will put you at a staggering disadvantage.
No one is a purely python only programmer/coder, you will need to know the basics used in the real world

what this guys said \/
Python is bad foundation, C is best foundation, thankfully Python is built on C a lot and C basics are easy to learn, and you quickly see the things Python is automating for you that you need to be aware of.
O'Reilly books on Python are great IMO, but take a very long time to read through

I've always been struck by how simple the C language is.

Granted, there're probably a lot of advanced tricks and methods and patterns to learn, but the core language is surprisingly simple.

I started with Python and went on to Java. I wouldn't call myself a programmer but I am enjoying using what I learned.