Pocket PCs

Is there a pocket computer with a screen and keyboard that is not completely overpriced?
I don't care if it's from 1980s or from today, what I need is ability to write notes.

Attached: hp95lx.jpg (628x574, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-mobile_PC
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

make one from a raspberry pi senpai

I was thinking about it, but it wouldn't feel as nice.

easier to just get a smartphone with a good quality flip out keyboard case

Sorry user, but that's exactly what I don't want.

any model suggestion, bruh?

I'd guess nokia n810 would be kinda ok

boxwave is the one im getting seems to be the best

Amstrad NC100 or Tandy model100, Alphasmart Dana palm I've still got my palmpilot with folding keyboard, pic related.

Or just get some old lappy, install OpenBSD on it and use it in console mode. No X.

Attached: palmkeys.jpg (268x188, 8K)

Coming soon-ish maybe

Attached: img_20171123_121344.jpg (3968x2976, 1.48M)

Thanks, but all of them are kinda clunky. Old lappies are also pretty large.
Is that a phone with a keyboard?

>what I need is ability to write notes.

Attached: notebook_PNG19225.png (5080x2938, 1.78M)

It's slower than a keyboard.

>he can't into shorthand
besides see how fast you can type on a shitty little pocket keyboard

That's not a UMPC. Even OPs pic is more UMPC thanks to being x86.

Definitely faster.

The GPD Pocket.

Has a fantastic screen, good keyboard and its battery lasts around 10-12 hours. It had 8 GB's of RAM, 128 GB's of memory and more ports than a Surface Pro.

Best of all is that it's able to run Linux, which even lengthens it battery time by a few hours. Price for a new one is around $350-400 but if you know where to look you can already pick them up for $200-250.

I absolutely love mine, I bought it mainly for work (it comes in handy for checking the networks) and fucking around with Linux. It also is able to run a lot of modern-ish games on 30-40 FPS. Besides that it's extremely comfy to use for watching/working in bed.

Attached: gpd-pocket-7(2).jpg (800x600, 72K)

>no 6:10 e-ink wireless terminal UMPC that lasts for a week powered

fuckin hurts.

>Watching/working in bed
Opinion discarded.

I was thinking about it, but it has too much features (I don't want to be carried away) and slightly too expensive.
Maybe a portable loonix thing would be pretty nice...

Was considering getting this one as well. Apparently they're quite popular in China

Can't draw as well with a pen and notebook tho.

Personal computers don't have to be x86 arch

Let's build one! I'll get started on the logo...

Psion. Very comfy keyboard.

Attached: 88BB7B68-0BF3-46E0-B7AF-50016FB492BD.jpg (3264x2448, 2.35M)

Forgot to add: it has a ThinkPad like mouse nub AND the full functionality of a touch screen.

It's also the only pocket pc on the market which doesn't run on some unsupported variation of Android. It's a full on customizable PC, which means you can run any sort of emulator you want. Android included. It also doesn't overheat or has any weird performance bugs.

Best thing about is the solid and clean alloy design. I have had multiple people asking whether it's an Apple prototype.

Attached: gpd-pocket-3.jpg (800x600, 44K)

There's the Pyra but that's in eternal pre-order mode.

Attached: Pyra-Main.png (892x800, 640K)

It's so fucking large. I need something slimmer.

UMPCs do.

No they dont

Protip: PC doesn't mean x86(-64). Even phones are PCs.

This is basically your only hope.

This is too large.

Yes they do. If it's not x86, it's not a UMPC.

Nobody said otherwise.

>Nobody said otherwise.
>If it's not x86, it's not a UMPC.
>Ultra-Mobile PC

Attached: 1518254101971.jpg (645x729, 81K)

So is there anything retro? All of the current solutions are a bit expensive.

UMPC is spec created by Microsoft, just like Ultrabooks are a spec created by Intel. If you took an Ultrabook and made an AMD version, it'd no longer be an Ultrabook. If you take a UMPC and make an ARM version, it's no longer a UMPC. I'm not saying it's not a personal computer that's ultra mobile, I'm just saying it's not a UMPC.

This is the gemini PDA, looks solid desu. You can install linux on it too. Only complaint so far is that bezel size.

Looks solid but it costs 500-600 pounds.

That's just an old render so who knows what the final version will look like.

It probably will cost way too much anyways so I don't really care. All I need is something for 100-200 euros.

Holy shit, what the fuck, I didn't type "desu", I'm not that kind of weeb, I went straight to the full stop. What the fuck is wrong with me?

It'd be hilarious if someone made an SoC upgrade daughterboard and released it before the outdated original actually made it to the market

I see you are new here.

>What the fuck is wrong with me?
You're a dumbass who doesn't know about the filters

What is this called?

Run, run while you're still this new.

desu senpai

KEK

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-mobile_PC

Attached: 1518253509798.png (488x463, 59K)

>Wants something niche
>Complains that it's too expensive

I'm running out of dumb wojaks, somebody help.

Attached: 1518252530206.png (800x600, 80K)

Just accept it, your Angry Birds toy isn't a UMPC

It doesn't have to be new. It can be something from the 1980s if you haven't read the post.

lol newfag
escape from here while you can

Where the fuck can you find one of these for only $250?

They put the nub in without understanding how it is supposed to work. Putting it below the spacebar completely misses the point.

>boxwave
link?

They couldn't put it where it should be, the battery's there. I'd rather have a misplaced TrackPoint than no TrackPoint.

UMPC is a specification made by Intel and Microsoft, the specification includes "x86 ISA" in it.

Haha, not that new, been here almost a year now. I'm even subbed to tripcode, which I'm guessing is the one that made me mess up.

Well, guess it's time to accept life as a trap now.

I don't believe you, the filter's been around longer than you claim to have been.

What filter? Guess I really am still new. Please inform me.

t bh, f am, and C UCK

There must be others, because I dont think I typed any of those. Anyway, thanks for explaining, good to know.

I don't think there are

/csg/ in the catalog can help you. I got mine new for $300 three months ago.

>not that new
>a year

Why do you keep posting this pasta?

>tfw we've had UMPCs in our pockets this whole time

Attached: download.webm (720x1280, 2.13M)

Its the most solid pocket PC currently on the market. Give me an alternative with a better display and specs.

Attached: gpdpocketvspsion5mx.jpg (1280x960, 452K)

you're 2 months too late to grab Gemini PDA. It was 300$ back then.

It's currently overpriced.

Gemini PDA

>500 euros for the 4g+ one
Well shit. Seemed like a neat device too.

An adult male human being
CANNOT EFFECTIVELY TAKE NOTES
ON A SUB 8" QWERTY KEYBOARD
this UMPC meme needs to die
You want a tiny computer to go with your tiny cock? Fine. But don't pretend you can do "coding" and "take notes" on a miniature laptop. You can't.

GPD Pocket:
>Runs W10 like you would on a normal desktop (complete)
>Runs every modern x86(-64) variant of Linux, including hardware acceleration of graphics. Has longterm support because everything is open source (like the graphics driver) or Linux-version independent (binary blobs for wifi etc.)
>can do anything a normal PC can do
>8 GB's of RAM
>128 GB memory

Planet Gemini:
>Runs a very specific version of Android thanks to the MicroTek SoC. Heavily dependent of binary blobs which dont receive updates
>Runs a few prepared Linux distributions. Its still unclear how/which hardware really is going to be supported in Linux
>Can't run standard PC programs, unless specially prepared via ARM/emulation
>4GB of RAM
>64GB of memory

It's not even a competition between the two.

>So what I really want is a smart phone connected to a bluetooth keyboard BUT I want to be as dreadfully hipster about it as possible

Attached: angry cat.jpg (640x640, 72K)

Would agree, but Dragonbox Pyra is optimized for thumb typing. You're still gonna be typing at less than half the speed of a regular keyboard, but it's better than pretending you can finger type on a keyboard for ants.

How well can it emulate x86 VMs? I want to be able to run windows on it.

Exactly. Though it has to be as simple as possible. (I don't care about a lot of features - as I already said, it can be from 1980s, I really don't care).

But which is smaller?

Yeah, um, Dragonbox Pyra may not be for you... It's all right though, Pyra knows it doesn't have a huge market.

Just admit that you WANT a fucking gadget

I WANT A FUCKING GADGET

GPD Pocket:
>buying it indirectly funds Microsoft
Gemini:
>buying it indirectly funds Linux development
Exactly, no way anyone would buy GPD. Until they make a 100$ cheaper Linux variant they're irrelevant.

I'm actually cobbling together my own umpc
all I need to do is get an m2 key b to pcie slot adapter and I can put an older non fan gpu in so it will play decent vidya and not choke.

There is a Ubuntu version you fucking retard

Is this a fucking joke?

Attached: 1462161624160.png (1581x483, 179K)

since you were praising it for supporting Linux so well I thought you were talking about GPD WIN 2, I completely forgot what Pocket is.
The pocket with Ubuntu costs the same as Windows. The Pocket is still the shitty WIN 1 just in a different case. It's an overpriced piece of experimental shit. WIN 2 had a better Linux support before it launched than Pocket did even months after launch. There's no reason to buy WIN 1 or the Pocket now that WIN 2 exists. Perhaps Pocket 2 will be worth buying providing they don't make it overpriced as well.

Feels good to admit it doesn't it

>There's no reason to buy WIN 1 or the Pocket now that WIN 2 exists.

Except for the fact the WIN 2 isn't even out yet, it's announced for the retarded price of $649 (around 300 bucks more than the Pocket) and is marketed as a Handheld Gaming Console, a complete different subset of pocket PC's that we are discussing in this thread.

Please stop posting if you aren't able to fully read comprehensively.

It's definitely not for everyone, like I said. The CPU board inside is removable and therefore upgradable though. EvilDragon says he'll work on getting a better SoC once the OMAP5 version has shipped.

Pyra is mostly for Linux users who appreciate good case and input design more than the hardware inside. Thing is ergonomic to the max.

>what I need is ability to write notes.

Attached: 1497198988047.jpg (400x370, 53K)

It's not for anyone at all, I could get a fully decked out oneplus 5T with 100X the processing power and 4X the RAM for less than a base pyra with no lte.

How much are they paying you?

why
if you don't want your smartphone you can just buy an old flagship like a galaxy Note and flash a basic cyanogen with no google apps on it, you'll have a good linux machine with quality hardware.

or do the same thing with a tablet, with android you have a screen range from 3" to 10" with every kind of specs configuration you'd possibly want. why take something like OP pic, it looks like shit, it can do basically nothing and the keyboard looks like a nightmare

Even though android phones can do now?

Pocket was 500$ on launch and is still 500$ almost everywhere, retard. Are you sure you're not talking about GPD WIN 1?

>eternal
nah m8 autismbox is (eternally) only Two Months(tm) away!

is it a dumb idea to get a ce based palmtop to play text adventures? there are ce z-machine interpreters, but dos palmtops often seem to have better keyboards and usually look cooler as well.

Would take too long to properly explain, and you're not going to be convinced by reasonable, logical arguments anyway, so let me explain this to you at the level of discourse you're used to:

nigga you retarded, shit's not for you
just walk away and go back to being a consumer whore

1. buy Nokia 2 + Mini bluetooth keybord + sdcard
2. root Nokia and config keybord (swap esc to capslock/remap)
3. customize img of linux (for arm) with vim & zsh on PC
4. gunzip customized img of linux gnu on your pc and transfer to nokia
5. extract and save (to sdcard) gunzipped customized img of linux gnu
6. chroot linux.img
7. enjoy

Attached: 1500017336814.jpg (225x225, 14K)

sorry, but im not autistic.

Interesting concept, but I've seen a review and scrolling on webpages looked laggy af.

Probably that Atom weak sauce CPU is not enough to drive it properly.

And I'd like to see a major OEM try their hand at this format, maybe they get better quality than those chinks.

>Pyra
>good case design
?