What the hell is Android's problem with gapless playback?

Why are so few Android music player apps capable of playing gaplessly? Or is it a hardware thing? I'm running a Moto G5 Plus with Android 7.0.
So far I've tried over a dozen different players, some specifically advertising gapless support, yet only a minority actually do it right.

Eon Music Player, Pulsar, BlackPlayer, Odyssey, Phonograph, Musicolet, Vinyl Music Player, VLC, GM Music (this one gets extra retard points for ONLY sorting tracks alpabetically...), Vanilla Music Player - all leave gaps of varying length between tracks that should segue seamlessly. I first tested with MP3s that I usually use (encoded with a modern LAME encoder and which play seamlessly on PC, iPod, etc.), then with FLAC as its inherently gapless by design - same thing, slight pauses between tracks. Shouldn't be a file transfer speed either - I've tried experimented with music on the internal storage as well as SD card (class 10) with no differences.

Of course with my luck it's those player were gapless actually does work (Foobar2000, Onkyo HF Player, Poweramp, AIMP) that also have at least one quirk/example of fuckery that would make me not choose them... UI clunkiness/retardation, lack of various features, being a paid app only, being free but ad-ridden messes, etc.

What do? Got any other players to recommend giving a try?
Is Gapless on Android mostly a hopeless endeavour?
Is the universe only comprised of modular forms and elliptic curves, and the secrets of the universe aren't between the buns of the double cheeseburger after all?

Attached: and.jpg (558x388, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/96w4h
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tbig.playerprotrial
xda-developers.com/androids-audio-latency-problem/
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.silvereon.music.mp3player
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

But Phonograph does have gapless playback.

>wants something good
>also wants it for free
Pick one.

>Poweramp
>paid
>UI fuckery
Honestly, if it had 'regular' UI, I'd gladly pay for it.

Don't know what you mean, Play Music fades between tracks just fine

Works on my machine. Your shits broke.

>But Phonograph does have gapless playback.
Yeah, that's what it should do, but my apparently my phone didn't get the memo... (excuse the video quality literally from 2006, I had to resort to my old ass camera)
streamable.com/96w4h

>Don't know what you mean, Play Music fades between tracks just fine
I don't mean (cross)fading, but seamless playback of sequential tracks on albums where the tracks flow together without any pauses. See my video above - DSOTM should play from start to finish as if it were a single track.

Well fugg my laif... It's still an almost new phone, bought back in October.

Attached: Y4rOYWu.png (674x425, 33K)

that's the fucking point. some albums are meant to switch tracks without gaps or cross fading and only Apple cares for this apparently.

total commander's audio player does it
you also get a nifty file manager and the ability to send installed apps via bluetooth without root

Why do you need gapless on a phone? You're not going to get good output quality from a phone anyway and phone storage limitations means you'll probably have lossy music files. Just do high quality listening at home dude.

The hell is wrong with Aimp?

>The hell is wrong with Aimp?
Nothing per se, it's just not my cup of tea UI-wise - at all. While I can understand, and even appreciate, the idea and vision behind it's UI, it's unfortunately unusable for me.

Now I could get along with proper folder-based navigation, but AIMP is so minimalist it doesn't have even that. You can't navigate the folder structure of your music library. All you can do is add some or all of your music to its file browser, but then you'd have to do that again soon when wanting to listen to different stuff, or have MASSIVE list of all your music that's unfeasible to navigate.
Or then you'd have to do work-arounds, like making separate playlists of all the different artists you have, which would be a massive pain in the ass just to have something that folder structure navigation would accomplish.

>Why do you need gapless on a phone?
Why shouldn't a phone have gapless?
Yeah, I'm doing my proper listening at home, but I think there's no excuse for phone music apps not having it.

You can sort and group files based on folder structure, and you can have aimp update the files in a folder if you added more. You can also add stuff to the queue. I'm not sure what kind of messed up stuff you're trying to do with your library, but I don't really understand what's wrong with a playlist. or why grouping files is not enough for you.

I haven't tried, but you could add all your artists to a playlist, shuffle the files around an group them by folder/artist?

Fair enough. I just never really expect phones to not be shit.

> I'm not sure what kind of messed up stuff you're trying to do with your library, but I don't really understand what's wrong with a playlist. or why grouping files is not enough for you.
Nothing messed up. Just something other than thousands of files in a one massive list. No matter how it's grouped, it's a pain in the ass to scroll through. Simple folder navigation a la pic related would be nice.

Attached: Nav.jpg (526x529, 49K)

Blackplayer has gapless though, and it works fine.

was it autism?

I feel you my man, I'm also stuck with foobar for the same reason, I can't believe that even the stock player of my honor 8 can't handle such a simple task that my 10+ year ipod can, and is not my shit phone that I recognize is shit, I had the same problem with my z1c, fuck this shit.

>Blackplayer has gapless though, and it works fine.
Yeah, but it doesn't play gaplessly on my phone.

>was it autism?
No, just a little bit of OCD, perhaps.

It's all in software. The hardware's just there to take bits and convert it into voltages. I use Poweramp and it's perfect. As long as I rip my CDs gapless it'll play gapless.

Attached: Screenshot_20180325-124646.png (1080x1620, 1.26M)

>inb4 it turns out it the song files the guy is playing has moments of silence

Yeah. Foobar's pretty good actually, so far among the best players I've tried where gapless works properly.
I just hope it didn't have those small, annoying cock-ups in the UI, like lacking a grid view option for the artist listing and not having long-press context menus for almost anything, except for albums. And apparently no play queue at all, only 'proper' playlists you need to create and save before you can add stuff to them.
Or do I need some plugins and tweaking for those context menus and queue...?

>inb4 it turns out it the song files the guy is playing has moments of silence
Nope, files are fine. Wish it was that simple...

HTC One M8 here, same story after moving from my old iPhone 4 which played gapless perfectly. After trying everything I stuck with Poweramp and a 'material design' skin as it had a lot of great features, built in equaliser (which I lost after installing a custom ROM) and most importantly, gapless. I feel your pain user

Foobar is amazing. I was surprised at how well and how different it is from the PC version. It is so minimal and has only the features that I'll actually use.

It's not about the apps - all use Android's internal media capabilities AFAIK.

My previous (older) XPERIA didn't have gapless playback no matter the player, even after fiddling with options. Now I have a budget LG phone and the same players play music gaplessly.

So it's not the apps but the system itself.

Because nobody cares

>androidpajeets can’t even listen to music without gaps

Lmao the only gap we iPhone master race have to deal with is at the top of our screen

merge the songs into one huge audio file

You don't say ... intentionally all the files?

Playpro might be the app for you. There is even a trial version. The ui is so so:
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tbig.playerprotrial

Android has audio latency gap.
xda-developers.com/androids-audio-latency-problem/

Only if the app stops the stream as it changes tracks. A proper gapless player will read the next track into the buffer before the current one ends to output a seamless stream.

Poweramp is complete trash as it (still) doesn't support radio streams.
Also the purchasing method and piracy protection is absolute dogshit. You need 2 apps installed. With a Music app that has streaming support you're being forced to have 3 apps + stock music app installed, whilst having to pay 5 bucks.

Did you also know that buying Poweramp without the Play store requires the play store? You need to be logged into the email app google provides only in the play store.

That whole project is too far up its own ass.

A lot of paid apps require you to stay logged in to the Google account that bought it. I agree that having a separate license app is dumb since it already has a means of exporting and importing settings.

You're speaking the truth. The reason why I'm noting this, is that the dev largely advertises not buying poweramp in the play store but outside of it and that this wouldn't require play store.

It's true, you can install the email app as an .apk without play store, but 1. it is unnecessary from a technical point of view 2. it is complicated 3. it is undocumented 4. the email apk is really hard to find because searching email.apk will lead you almost always to stock android email.apk (which is open source) 5. the email.apk is closed source and connects to googles servers even when you don't use a gmail account with it (personal experience), which is stupid.

Poweramp is an outright scam in 2018.

Oh, I'm talking about email.apk because you need to be logged into an account in it that has the same email address as the email address you used when you ordered.

Are you talking about the Gmail app? My previous phone was an HTC M7 and I disabled the Gmail app because I preferred the HTC email app and it still worked.

No, I'm not. Funnily enough, that leads to the next issue with poweramps licensing method: If you buy outside of the play store with a googlemail/gmail address and are logged into your googlemail/gmail account in the gmail app, poweramp won't see that. You will have to install the email app from play store that is from google but not the gmail app and also not the inbox app and have to log into it, leading you to be logged into your gmail twice.

You are allowed to laugh at me because I bought twice, one time in the store and the other time outside of it and I don't use it anymore.
Feels scammed, man.

Attached: tenor.jpg (420x413, 30K)

>Lists tons of players
>Doesn't list the one that's been the best for years when it beat out Poweramp ages ago when they never bothered updating it
Gone Mad Music Player

fuck gradeaundera

I payed for blackplayer, fuck you. I hate that shit

>email app from play store that is from google but not the gmail app and also not the inbox app
Something like that exists?

Nope
>Have 30 minute song split up into different parts(each part is named differently so I assume that's how it's meant to be)
>Everytime it switches there's a noticeable gap
>meanwhile foobar goes through it fine but it's a fucking mess to use

Yes, I had no idea as well, until I was already wondering why poweramp didn't see my email address when I was logged into the stock AOSP email app of LineageOS.
The app poweramp requires is the stock android email app you get preinstalled from your manufacturer or out of gapps. It is preinstalled but available on the play store and every update for it happens in the play store.

Searching for 'email' (that's its name) in play store will not lead you to it, lol.

>payed

>stealing like a piggot nigger

>being a pajeet

What are you talking about OP?
Checkout F-droid music players.
I've even used proprietary players without gapps.(been gappsless since 4.4)

>pajeet
>paying
Nice try Ramjet, but you can't flip your self-hatred on me

Don't you mean "paiing"?

ESL detected

I'm with OP on this one. Also, where is low-speed scrubbing? It's how on iPhones you can slow down how fast you adjust, say, the position of a song or video by moving your hand up or down while moving the little circle.

Pulsar is a piece of shit that used to be ad free but now has ads the size of the whole screen even though I never updated. Fucking dev had it in the code and just waited to use it when he felt like it

This is the one feature I truly miss from my iPod touch. It was present throughout the OS too.

You're the most autistic fucktard that s ever been on Sup Forums

Foobar, fagget

>samsung music player
>just werks

I have the same problem but only when I have a lot of apps open
It doesn't make sense really, smartphone hardware shouldn't be this shit when even computers from the 90's can do gapless playback without any issues

Spotify does gapless on android

To be clear, the issue is that your telephone might have a tiny pause between tracks when playing music?

Still, this:
streamable.com/96w4h

>Foobar, fagget
Oh yeah, I'd totally use that if the UI wasn't ass.

>To be clear, the issue is that your telephone might have a tiny pause between tracks when playing music?
Not might, but does. See streamable clip above.

>samsung music player
>just werks
Not available for my phone.
And if you're wondering, I'm kind of wary of installing random .apks off some shady sites.

>I have the same problem but only when I have a lot of apps open
>It doesn't make sense really, smartphone hardware shouldn't be this shit when even computers from the 90's can do gapless playback without any issues
My thoughts as well.
I've tried restarting my phone just in case to rule to out the possibility of long uptime and lots of open apps causing the issue, but nope, no effect on the issue.

>Spotify does gapless on android
Not interested in streaming, unfortunately.

yes it's your storage speed, there's like a delay. Try to rewind or forward a music tons of delay..

Then why would different player apps perform so differently?

What's the point of gapless play?
I want to know where one music stops and another begins.
Why the fuck is it good?

>What's the point of gapless play?
To not have audible gaps between songs _where there shouldn't be gaps_.
Some albums, let's say the most obvious one, Dark Side Of The Moon, are mixed so that there's no silence at all between the songs. It *should* play front to back like it was one continuous track. Without gapless, there's a slight pause between each track, which is quite annoying.
See this example: streamable.com/96w4h
There shouldn't be any pauses when the track changes.

>I want to know where one music stops and another begins.
And you will. If it's an album that has pauses between songs, having gapless playback enabled won't change that at all - it's not crossfeed or any kind of artificial silence reduction.

maybe artists shouldn't make albums with tracks split in the wrong places ?

Attached: low quality.png (622x626, 4K)

Try Stellio.

Nobody gives a shit about your niche autistic and incredibly specific "need".

Why don't you just code it yourself? When 99.999% of the userbase doesn't use or care about something you can't expect it to be a priority for the developed.

Didn't know. I only listen to classical.
Good to know either way.

>When 99.999% of the userbase doesn't use or care about something you can't expect it to be a priority for the developed.
>I don't need it so why would anyone else?

Rocketplayer has always been my music player

It has everything and more including gapless

>that feel when poweramp is so old, quicklyric can't even detect it

feelsbadman.jpg

OCD? More like Autism. Buddy go back to your room and close the lid on your pedo Thinkpad running Ubuntu and kill yourself.

UI is better if you download a skin for it.

Attached: Screenshot_20180326-100200.png (1080x1920, 104K)

>Rocketplayer
Doesn't say anything about gapless nor plays without gaps.

There

Attached: Screenshot_20180326-121246.jpg (1080x1920, 268K)

>Is it a hardware thing
No, my P166MMX could do gapless on WinAmp.

Is that the paid version? Because this is all I'm seeing in the sound settings.

Attached: Screenshot_20180326-202345.png (1080x1920, 117K)

Oh... I need to enable ye olde jewish trickery to see the full options.
Well, son of bitch! This one actually does the gapless thing right. But damn if these aren't about the most cancerously placed ads ever... Hmm, gotta check out how much the full version would cost.

Thanks for the tip on this one, user.

I paid for it but I think it's well worth it

Torrent it

Well, yeah, those "available online" (as one prof. used to say about expensive course books) methods could also be an option.

But holy shit anons! I've been trying out numerous players this evening, and now gave Omni Music Player a try. Kind of minimalist, open source, no ads, no mention of gapless anywhere, but goddamn, this plays gapless just fine!

Phonograph works just fine on my Moto G3, but I used to have issues with gapless playback on a shitty Galaxy J running 4.4.4 some years ago

Funny, Phonograph doesn't seem to approve of my Moto G5 Plus, always having gaps between tracks regardless of gapless settings.

But man, this Omni player seems nifty! Doesn't seem quite 100% finshed, with a few nitpicks here and there, but nothing I couldn't see the devs fixing up in future versions. This thing's got potential.

You mean this? It looks pretty good, I'll check it out
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.silvereon.music.mp3player

Yeah, that one.

I'm quite liking this so far! Clean & snappy UI, no unneeded fluff, gapless works, etc. Based on my initial fiddling with it, I wrote down and sent the devs some feedback & feature requests and they promptly replied and confirmed that things will keep improving further. Which I definitely hope this thing will do, as I can easily see this becoming my mainstay player once a couple of features such as song sorting options and playing albums from artist pages are added, and a few oddities are fixed, (e.g. album tracklists are shown alphabetically under "Albums" tab when opened, but go correctly in track# order when played or added to playlist via context menu).