Custom Windows Thread

Shills can get fucked edition.

>What is this?
This is a thread for the customization and debloating of Winshit. It's a place to discuss not only ricing and UI tweaks but also deeper modifications of Windows such as registry edits for privacy settings, how to deal with updates, features to enable or disable, removing or adding programs, etc.

>What isn't this?
It's not a shill thread. It's for technical discussion. Stop shit flinging over source models and licensing. Don't like Windows? Leave the thread. Close the tab, you retarded sperg.

>Custom install images?
Absolutely. There are numerous advantages to having custom install images, and they can be made for free using a normal installation ISO of Windows and some free (as in free beer) programs out there such as NTLite. You can use them to really dig into Windows and make it into something so much better.

Attached: windies10.png (277x299, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/my-dotfiles
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php
forums.mydigitallife.net/forums/kms-tools.51/
majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/msmg_toolkit,1.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Why would I want a custom install image?
The main advantage is that any edits you make to the installer image can be easily used over and over again without full system clones from a running machine. You get a fresh install every time that includes your own modifications out of the box. You control what gets put into the custom ISO, not some Pajeet that bundles keyloggers. You can also bundle updates to save time post-installation. You can make UI modifications like using custom wallpapers, button images, logos, and other themes. You can have certain programs like Firefox or Chrome installed out of the box to save time. You can include automatic activation in the ISO so you aren't fiddling with keys, or if you don't want to pay for it. You can disable most if not all of the telemetry in spying if you start with a Windows Enterprise edition as the base. If you want to deploy it to specific or non-standard hardware, you can bundle drivers so you don't have to install them later. You can also exclude or strip out drivers you don't want, such as IME botnet drivers.

So Winfags of Sup Forums, what are you waiting for? Why haven't you created a custom Windows ISO that's tailored to your own specific tastes, needs, and hardware?

>free (as in free beer) programs out there such as NTLite
Just use DISM.

Attached: file.png (1169x830, 76K)

>let's make windows even less stable and useful for extremely marginal performance enhancements

>implying you have to pay for it
Okay.

Removing useless botnet trash, metro apps, and candy crush won't decrease system stability. Quite the opposite.

>marginal performance enhancements
Major performance enhancements. I use custom Windows 10 LTSB for running CAD programs and other stuff for work. Not having automatic restarts and ads all over the place makes for a more productive and smooth user experience.

DISM lets you do all the things that the free version of NTLite leaves out.

I used to build windows OEM images professionally. There are definitely advantages. But I'd argue that it's far more difficult than setting up a good linux dotfiles repo and learning to use linux.

Anyway here's what I used:
- DISM to customize the install image (install latest patches, remove bullshit like candy crush, etc)
- Customized WinPE to bootstrap the installer over PXE (this just loaded the right network share and autounattend.xml)
- TFTP on a linux server to bootstrap the WinPE environment
- Dynamically rendered Autounattend.xml to control the install (install third party programs, remove bloat that's hardcoded into the installer, set branding, etc)

There are probably vastly simpler ways to do this. But that's how I did it at the "enterprise" level.

hi i use ltsb. what "CAD programs" are you talking about?

>useless botnet trash
for you
metro apps and candy crush can be simply removed by removing them

windows will still automatically restart

I Imagine ArchiCAD or AutoCAD. Both are very heavy programs when working with big projects.

If you need DISM then use it. I'm just used to NTLite.

AutoCAD. Also Adobe Photoshop, but that's not for work related stuff.

How about telemetry related stuff? Did you just do GP/registry edits to set data collection to 0 or did you do more heavy editing of Windows?

All I did was registry edits. More or less just to say I put in the effort. I was reselling hardware with Win 7 or 10 LTSB on it for a PCI compliant environment. If M$ circumvented my removing the telemetry and violated PCI standards and it lead to a breach, I could just sue them.

Attached: 2018-03-25 21_11_29-Attivo.bat - Blocco note.jpg (1366x766, 195K)

i make all kinds of bat to simplify standard operations. pic related is the shortcuts i have in the start menu to change power profile and enable the iGPU to avoid problems with the eGPU.

under windows 7 i liked to graphically mod it, like change the login screen wallpaper with a blurred version of the main wallpaper, it gave a nice effect when logging in.

windows is really customizable, it's even easier than linux/osx

>windows is really customizable, it's even easier than linux/osx
Ok then tell me, how do you make a dotfiles repo for windows so you can easily share your config between systems?

>[...] deeper modifications [...] such as registry edits.

are you serious nigger.

>windows is really customizable, it's even easier than linux/osx

HOW? Editing Linux settings is just text file manipulation, and installing new packages at worst.

i don't, there are 2 cases:
-i need to setup a pc i'm going to use for myself and i can waste a few hours in modding/tweaking it the first time
-i need to setup a lot of pcs in the same way, there are a lot of tools (mostly non-free of course) going from making the first installation and then copying the image on various drives to softwares to automatically manage programs for you
here

when it works. the difference between linux and windows is that in windows you start from a OS working straight out of the box and standardized while in linux you have to go through different functions of the OS developed by different group of people. you can know basically everything about an OS but you'll eventually come to a problem you have to look up to solve and no, there are no easy solutions when you have to search though forums.

when i think about something i want on windows it takes like half a hour tops to do it if i don't know what i'm doing, on linux we all know it's not like that.

example: i'm on an old system, i'm reinstalling windows and i need some obscure drivers. with windows i just download snappy driver and it automatically download every driver missing with certified stuff from. in linux i hope everything works

Both of these were me. I used to set up OEM windows for a living, and I'm telling you that you're wrong. For windows, I had to spend months building infrastructure to allow for reproducible installs.

For linux, I type git clone github.com/my-dotfiles and hit enter. And it sets up any distro that I want in a few seconds.

>when it works. the difference between linux and windows is that in windows you start from a OS working straight out of the box
Except for the part where you have to install a sane web browser, some kind of AV, remove the malware and bloat, and download some sketchy ass binary blobs from sourceforge first. Linux literally does just work out of the box.

>with windows i just download snappy driver and it automatically download every driver missing with certified stuff from.
Except for the part where software distribution for windows means downloading opaque binary blobs from random ass websites with malware ads disguised as download buttons.

>i can waste a few hours in modding/tweaking it the first time
Your case for windows being easier than linux is pretty terrible. But at least you're willing to admit that windows wastes your time.

LMAO. Im not even going to bother putting a serious reply. You know absolutely nothing about linux.

Where i can find a non sketchy pirated copy of win 10? The only thing i find was a thread in leddit but the servers are trash...

Download the official iso using microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 or tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php
Activate with forums.mydigitallife.net/forums/kms-tools.51/

Thanks Sup Forumsoy

Bump

Ill start with some function modifications,

This CMD script will disable and delete all scheduled tasks.
@echo off

REM Disable Tasks
for /f "tokens=1 delims=," %%a in (
'schtasks /Query /FO csv ^| find /V "Task name" ^| find /V "Disabled"'
) do (
schtasks /change /tn %%a /disable
)

REM Delete Tasks
schtasks /delete /tn * /f

PAUSE

Honestly, do I need to do anything other than using Education/Enterprise, putting Telemetry on the lowest settings, and disabling Defender?

This will: Show File Extensions, Show Hidden Folders, Change Power Settings To Never, & Disable ALL System Sounds
@echo off

REM Show File Extensions
REG add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced /v HideFileExt /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Show Hidden Folders
REG add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced /v Hidden /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REM Change Power Option To Never
powercfg.exe -change -monitor-timeout-ac 0
powercfg.exe -change -standby-timeout-ac 0

REM Disable System Sounds
:: Disable user from enabling the startup sound
REG add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableStartupSound /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f 2>nul >nul

:: Set DisableStartupSound to 0
:: (this is an error from developers; setting it to ZERO will actually disable and not enable the startup sound)
REG add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\BootAnimation /v DisableStartupSound /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f 2>nul >nul

:: Set the sound scheme to No Sound
REG add HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes /t REG_SZ /d ".None" /f 2>nul >nul

:: Disable system sounds
call :DisableSystemSounds
pause
exit

:DisableSystemSounds

set KeyFile=AppsKeys.txt
REG query "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps" /s > "%KeyFile%"

FOR /F %%I in (%KeyFile%) DO (
if NOT "%%I"=="(Default)" call :ProcessFoundData "%%I"
)

del "%KeyFile%"
del null

goto :EOF

:ProcessFoundData

set Key=%~1
call :KeyExists "%key%\.Current"
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 (
echo not found > nul
echo ERROR: KEY NOT FOUND IN REGISTRY! : %key%\.Current
) else (
::rem echo XX %key%\.current
REG add "%key%\.current" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f 2>nul >nul
)

:KeyExists

:: If the key exists in the registry, ERRORLEVEL will be zero
REG query "%~1" /ve 2>nul >null

PAUSE

>disabling Defender
Disabling in Windows 10 (most of the time) is not permanent.

I've yet to see it pop back up on my processes list as of yet.

This will, Take Ownership of the C:\ Drive & Grant Read & Write Permissions.

takeown /f "C:\" /r /d Y

icacls "C:\" /grant Everyone:(OI)(CI)F /T /C /L /Q

What's you way of disabling defender?

>Group Policy
>Administrative Templates
>Windows Defender Antivirus
>Enable "Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus"
>Real-time Protection
>Enable "Turn off real-time protection"
>Disable "Turn on behavior monitoring"
>Disable "Scan all downloaded files and attachments"

Those last three steps are probably pointless, but I did them anyway.

Oh, that works too.

I have three scripts to disable & delete defender. I can't post the source here.

convenient, thanks

will save them for my next reformat

No problem, there may be a problem with them in non LTSB versions of 10.

@echo off

takeown /f "C:\PerfLogs" /r /d Y
takeown /f "C:\Program Files" /r /d Y
takeown /f "C:\Program Files (x86)" /r /d Y
takeown /f "C:\ProgramData" /r /d Y
takeown /f "C:\Users" /r /d Y
takeown /f "C:\Windows" /r /d Y

icacls "C:\PerfLogs" /grant Everyone:(OI)(CI)F /T /C /L /Q
icacls "C:\Program Files" /grant Everyone:(OI)(CI)F /T /C /L /Q
icacls "C:\Program Files (x86)" /grant Everyone:(OI)(CI)F /T /C /L /Q
icacls "C:\ProgramData" /grant Everyone:(OI)(CI)F /T /C /L /Q
icacls "C:\Users" /grant Everyone:(OI)(CI)F /T /C /L /Q
icacls "C:\Windows" /grant Everyone:(OI)(CI)F /T /C /L /Q

PAUSE

The last of the icacls command might need to be ran manually in cmd,

icacls "C:\Windows" /grant Everyone:(OI)(CI)F /T /C /L /Q
[\code]
This will take about two minutes to complete and wont show progress.

Is there anyway to use Linux subsystem on LTSB ?

Some UI tweaks,

This will disable animations
@echo off

REM Disable Animations
REM Custom Visual Effects And Animate Controls And Elements Inside Windows
REG add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects /v VisualFXSetting /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f
REG add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" /v UserPreferencesMask /t REG_BINARY /d "9E3E078010000000" /f

REM Disable Animations In Taskbar And Start Menu
REG add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced /v TaskbarAnimations /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Turn Off Animate Windows When Minimizing And maximizing
REG add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics" /v MinAnimate /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Alternative Disable Animations
REM REG add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DWM /v DisallowAnimations /t REG_DWORD /d 00000000 /f

PAUSE
[/cose]

Disable Auto Tray

@echo off

REM Show All System Tray Icons (Disable Auto Tray)
REG add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer /v EnableAutoTray /t REG_DWORD /d 00000000 /f

PAUSE

Restore Windows 7 Volume Slider,

@echo off

REG add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\MTCUVC"
REG add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\MTCUVC" /v EnableMTCUVC /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f

PAUSE

T-Thanks

Attached: No.png (1524x647, 56K)

Split because spam detection
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:EC0F513C3E2184BCC62
9B41AF4B3ADB179571454

Attached: file.png (884x937, 82K)

Just use MSMG toolkit for customizations and updates. If you don't have much disk space on your deployment media, you can recompress the image back to an esd file.

Why would one want to do this? Except for successfully being able to delete System32?

Delete bloat & whatever anyone wants, this only takes ownership & grant permissions to all files & folders, not any registry values & services.

Enable aero peak,
@echo off

REM Enable Aero Peak
REG add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced /v DisablePreviewDesktop /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f

PAUSE

Remove all folders form, This PC

@echo off

REM Documents Folder
REG add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{f42ee2d3-909f-4907-8871-4c22fc0bf756}\PropertyBag /v ThisPCPolicy /t REG_SZ /d Hide /f

REM Pictures Folder
REG add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{0ddd015d-b06c-45d5-8c4c-f59713854639}\PropertyBag /v ThisPCPolicy /t REG_SZ /d Hide /f

REM Videos Folder
REG add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{35286a68-3c57-41a1-bbb1-0eae73d76c95}\PropertyBag /v ThisPCPolicy /t REG_SZ /d Hide /f

REM Downloads Folder
REG add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{7d83ee9b-2244-4e70-b1f5-5393042af1e4}\PropertyBag /v ThisPCPolicy /t REG_SZ /d Hide /f

REM Music Folder
REG add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{a0c69a99-21c8-4671-8703-7934162fcf1d}\PropertyBag /v ThisPCPolicy /t REG_SZ /d Hide /f

REM Desktop Folder
REG add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{B4BFCC3A-DB2C-424C-B029-7FE99A87C641}\PropertyBag /v ThisPCPolicy /t REG_SZ /d Hide /f

PAUSE

You can also edit and customize .isos with MSMG Toolkit:
majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/msmg_toolkit,1.html

I learned of DISM's existence literally last night, and Dism++ for a frontend and wow it saved me a ton of headache.

>a parent's 32GB netbook complaining about being out of space (4-6GB left) to update, expected since 10 ate half of it on first run
>scrambling to stupidly clean up, disk cleanups, whatever typical shit
>fuck it, do backups, create a install usb with more up-to-date version with usb tool
>install
>compact os and compact gui installed program files
>still no real gains, before the backup personal files are back on
>google, namedrops dism++ and go to work
>sitting pretty with ~14/29GB used with OS, programs, and restored data

I'm a bit emotional Sup Forums, I didn't believe.

But also shoutout to compact gui and 10's LZX compression for making installed programs chill the fuck out.

Have you tried AME? You can just image a hard drive in like 10 minutes and have a non-fucked windows install

I didn't know about, Package Cache
Ive been using a CMD & Powershell script to clean up package cache.

>AME

Attached: windows 10 ame.jpg (1894x6652, 2.54M)

Dism++ (the gui frontend) seems to have most registry hacks I've seen in this thread baked in, probably intentionally.

Doubtful. PCI is a joke anyway. Actually almost all of the data privacy compliance statndards are a joke

How does one make a custom WinPE ISO? I've looked into it and it doesn't seem entirely straightforward.

I have a god awful netbook i got for dirt cheap

It runs linux really smoothly and runs windows OK, but I feel like there's some kind of bloatware i could remove from Win 10 pro to make it run a little faster or save some hard drive space

What could i do?

I felt your pain Would help with drive space, for slowdown look into start up/background apps or services/scan for viruses.

I'm pretty sure they fixed all of that. I have done the same testing described in the infographic with their latest image and didn't get anything, for days of logging.

What's the difference from just clicking "Turn off window animations" in performance and appearance

This automates it.

Also pic related, Compact/GUI reduced LO's footprint by a little more than double which adds up on a 29GB drive.

Attached: libre.png (221x187, 6K)

I have to click to make the script work, I don't see the added benefit

I don't care if they fixed those specific issues.
If it's made by the same bunch of clueless retards then there is no doubt that they fucked up something else in the new release.

Hi Microsoft...

If you do a lot of tweaks to Windows, using CMD & Powershell scripts automates the process.

If you're on a netbook and really worried about space, there are smaller office suites to use than Libre.

WPS Office has adware but it's 280mb without compression, and Google Docs / MS Office Online work just fine

also ykno, wordpad or abiword

having an ad splashscreen is not adware lmao

haha is funny! you use the windows ten, yes? just curoius.

I meant specifically for changing the animations, of course you can do much more with a script modifying many registry entries.

I think

not the DISM guy, but I think what he was trying to say was that it's good to create and deploy your custom image too. almost like a freeware cloning tool.

install and customize your perfect OS. make sure you have a free partition or connected external HD. boot into windows 8 or 10 DVD. run dism in the command line.

check your drive letters first (either with diskpart, or just dir c: dir d: dir x: to check disk contents)

dism /capture-image /image-file:X:\myimage.wim /capturedir:C:\ /compress:max /name:"whateveryouwant"
to restore an image
dism /apply-image /imagefile:X:\myimage.wim /applydir:Y:\ /index:1

you can also capture directories instead of whole drives

I am almost certain they have documentation on the entire process that you could see if something has changed since then. You seem strangely upset that someone even took the effort.

>How is this different from the built-in compression in older versions of Windows? This is similar to the NTFS-LZNT1 compression built-in to Windows (Right click > Properties > Compress to save space) however the newer algorithms introduced in Windows 10 are far superior, resulting in greater compression ratios with almost no performance impact.Those with older HDDs may even see a decent performance gain in the form of reduced loading times as the smaller files means it takes less time to read programs and games into RAM.More information can be found here

Okay but what is the difference from just picking "Compress drive"

Did they seriously build better compression algorithms into windows 10 and not use them?

>You seem strangely upset
Not surprising considering that it has been shilled on this board every day a few months ago.

The difference is compact drive uses NTFS, probably for compatibility reasons (especially with LZX's drawbacks, namely persistence).

The Compact OS feature uses Xpress4k I believe, but you can also override it to use LZX. There's reportedly a performance hit the higher compression you use between Xpress4k and LZX, but I've yet to feel it.

Is nLite still a thing? It was pretty cool how a fully functional windows XP install could be reduced to like 300 MB.

Were they charging money for it?

>nLite
It's called NTLite now and it's paid

|>

Considering switching back to Windows 10, help me make a decision.

How to I get back on the W7 train? Tired of nothing working on lincucks
I'd like to avoid botnet though, is it possible?

Don't, switch to linux and never look back. Use Windows that you modified to remove the spying components or use something like A M E (have to try avoiding the M$ employees who are paid to shill their botnet and attack any productions that threaten the profits of Windows 10) actrons.info/ a m e . h t m l

Just install on of the versions before they added the windows 10 level spying and you should be okay. windows 7 can be rather comfy.

The botnet got backported.

Fembot please respond

see There is only so much mitigation to maintain privacy that can be done when using windows. The better options (privacy wise) do not have the ability to play games at a graphics cards' full potential generally nor can they run windows specific applications reliably. It really shouldn't be this damn hard just to have basic, communally accepted human rights when using a computer. FUCK!

So WPS office compressed comes to 160MB, probably less with a better compression algorithm (I'm using 4k)

Little reason to not use LZX

God damn, I just wanna play a couple games that won't run with Wine or in a VM...

Why won't they run in a VM? Use GPU passthrough.

On a laptop with integrated graphics?
Also I don't know how to do that, I did a little reading and it seemed like I could potentially fuck something up good.

>On a laptop with integrated graphics?
Well there goes that. Just punishment for using a laptop I suppose, get dual bootin'

I'm trying it now with LZX, compress hidden files, admin, etc

120mb

enjoy your microscopic office suite

I've heard Windows 7 has greater input lag than Windows 10 does. How can I reduce that?

Technically 10 should as it forces display compositing.

What are you doing, casual games/emulating? If the latter use Retroarch.

csgo and yes 5ms makes a difference

Isn't DAZ loader better? It sits in the MBR and no antivirus will delete it.

Last time I checked it didn't support Windows 10.