/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/dybEUJ1Y

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Attached: 4774e8427382f3ab98807826940a2110.jpg (1651x1912, 1.96M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm?itemId=263386371375
sites.google.com/view/headphoneadvice/home
strawpoll.me/15362559
strawpoll.com/b5x123dc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

HD600 are the greatest headphones in the world! I will be sad if you disagree!

Audio Technica ath-ad900 are in fact, a headphone.

Attached: IMG_20180322_175242766.jpg (2340x4160, 2.68M)

tfw no ad2000

tfw no ma900

Attached: IMG_20180305_221913352.jpg (2080x1170, 1.35M)

I didn't partake last general because I was away but dear lord some anons are a lot more upset than usual.

Attached: bestheadphones.jpg (1280x850, 681K)

It only takes one guy to make half the thread shitty arguing.

Pretty good shoop there, user.

Attached: thumbs-up.jpg (512x695, 214K)

are the Sony MDR-7506 worth picking up 2nd hand (good condition) for £35? they where recommended on the wiki @ £100 new

Attached: 81TzTAx8weL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 196K)

striped socks are a miracle of the universe

Get PortaPro instead

Best dac for a chewy bass, jello-like mids, and a shimmering treble?

I agree, so don't worry, be happy.

Whats a good upgrade from the magni 3?

asgard 2 used

one of the massdrop amps

What the fuck does any of that even mean

Not much point upgrading unless you want to spend a lot. The dac/amps between the $300ish and $2000 range are a bit pointless.

Unless you want something that sounds different like a tube amp.

Anyone know when the next batch is getting delivered? I'm not going to buy on massdrop but I'll buy from someone who bought on massdrop.
You mean the cavalli one right?
They're pretty cheap new.
ATH-M50 from 2009.
Yeah, I just want something that sounds different. So how about the littledot mk3?

Asgard 3 is probably in the works already.

Audion-GD R2R 7

they cheaper used tho

got mine for 135

Schiit is fucking trash stop suggesting it to people

>Yeah, I just want something that sounds different. So how about the littledot mk3?
Beats me. You're into user preference with tube amps. I have little experience with tube amps.

why the hentai

any opinion on the Grace m9xx/900?

I'm wondering what people who want to upgrade from something like the magni 3 are expecting anyway. You feel the sound quality still isn't good? as the classic says, garbage in, garbage out. Amps don't enhance broken recordings. It's pretty obvious when I listen to good classical recordings that many recordings of my other listened to genres like metal are not really quality but more like QUALITY.

>So how about the littledot mk3?
stop. don't buy chinktubes.

This, if you like electronics, there are instructions online for making your own tube amp - it's nice to have a colored amp for some occasional fun

stop sperging out faggot. their amps are good.

>I'm wondering what people who want to upgrade from something like the magni 3 are expecting anyway.
Quality.

Attached: benchmarklogo.png (410x173, 13K)

>Anyone know when the next batch is getting delivered?
they aren't typical drops they are shipping out within a couple days of your order and repost the listing every other day. my batch was sent out on the 22nd, I ordered on the 20th

Well then what about the garage1217 project ember? I was looking at the Valhalla a few days ago but it says it doesn't sound tubey, why use tubes to get a SS sound?
Yeah man, just want it to sound better. I know DACs are snake oil but amps are important! The magni 3 is cheap trash anyway, I just got it as a hold over.

I now own
Porta Pros
ATH M40Xs
AKG K142HDs (because people are literally giving them away on eBay)
And SHP "Trusty Fucks" 9500s

The K142HDs are a totally reasonable substitute for K240s and used prices are actually lower for them, I'm about 90% sure they are using the same driver, which is probably why the K242HDs were discontinued before the 142's, three of the same fucking headphone for three different prices, and one supraaural variant.
In other words, if you like the AKG sound signature but want something not fugly like K240 studios and you DON'T hate supraaural phones, I'd rec em. Sorry for the wall of text, there's not much info on these cans.

>Well then what about the garage1217 project ember?
nah, if you want tubey then build the nuhybrid for $100. high distortion, japanese vacuum tubes. piss easy to build. garage1217 stuff is overpriced to hell and back.

Thanks user, looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for!

Those aren't HD 650s (Driver matched, obviously)

This is accurate. Driver-lets are just angry

I made a thread just for you all.

Grats! Should be easy enough to conquer, using the 650's driver matched technology, of course

not sure if joking or

anything is an upgrade from schiit senpai

t. chifi budget objectivist poorfag

I'm about to move some money over to checking so I can order that CTH that's up for sale right now. What's wrong with it? Thought it would be a nice compliment to the magni 3.

>Budget
$300
>Location
USA
>Source
PC and Samsung Galaxy 7 phone
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
No clue but I would pick open
>Comfort level
High to Mid
>Sound signature
I like bass but also a little treble
>Past headphones
Some shitty Gumi ones never had actual headphones.

Want to listen to my weeb idol music in high quality. Never have listend to flac but know it's better than mp3 so would like some headphones that can hear them.

Attached: 54618347_p0.png (944x1280, 969K)

inb4 HD600

user wants
>I like bass but also a little treble

I'm going to say maybe an akg k612 or k712. They have that weeb tuning. Ideal would be a good deal on a used ad2000 but they're hard to find.

HD600
ebay.com/itm?itemId=263386371375

use code PRETTYDAY. new for $236

Dt880

God damn it, user

Koss KSC75 or PortaPros

No reason to go all in when a $15 headphone will give you way better sound than what you currently have

Attached: 67633124_p0.jpg (1500x1381, 903K)

HD600, which have bass, mids and treble in even quantities.

I was looking at hte price at akg k612 and it's pretty good. So will it play flac weeb music?

Is this some sort of meme?

Attached: 48660467_p0.jpg (800x643, 130K)

>HD600 are the greatest headphones in the world!
This post is accurate.

Attached: hd600frequencyresponse.png (630x489, 30K)

AKG headphones are particularly insensitive while also being low impedance. If your PC is like most pc with high output impedance you need to budget for an amp too.
Get the DT880 250 ohm, it has both the bass and treble you're looking for, it's the most comfortable headphone in the world and it sounds good from most sources.

sites.google.com/view/headphoneadvice/home
Not a meme. Note which headphone is the only one listed under $200-500 open back headphones with neutral bass, neutral mids and neutral treble.

Yes. Only one user shilling them, so don't worry about it. They lack bass, especially bass extension; treble too. They're very mid focused, almost A-shaped, some would call them

HD650 is bae.

>DT880
He said a little treble, not a fucking mountain of it.

Attached: DT880 FR.png (1481x407, 29K)

DT880 is a good choice for them but it's still going to be quiet. I know my dt990 250ohm needs an amp. And if you're buying an amp you may as well get the 600ohm.

Those aren't HD 650s (Driver matched, friendly reminder)

My friend was trying to shill me on Audio Technica ATH M50X for my flac weeb music are those fine or should I stick with the AKG headphones the other user recommended? If I can save $100 or 200 that would be helpful.

Attached: 43473042_p0.jpg (784x1000, 286K)

That's Reddit, though. How about you show user some graphs outside Golden Ears?

>M50X
Jamalbass.
>AKG
No bass, ear-raping treble.
Get HD600.

The akg 612 is a nice value especially for weeb music but you're not going to be able to use them on your phone and will need an amp.

Any of the headphone recommended here would be better than the M50X. That includes anything from PortaPro to hd600 to dt880 to k612.
Don't buy M50X. Ever. You will regret if you ever listen to real headphones.

hd600 obviously

Kek. Stop shilling those headphones. It has neither!

HD600 is the best option for that until he spends a lot more than $300. it's mid centric but it does the job as a great all rounder.

>beyer treble rape and shit QA
>akg sibilant treble and shit mids
>fidelio lmao

user, no!

Alright guess I was getting meme'd on then.

Is there any other alternative from akg612 that are around the same price that I can use on my pc and phone?

Attached: 63074798_p0.jpg (800x1131, 185K)

God, user. You don't even own them, so why shill them? No bass, no treble, arguably A-shaped ;^)

While it is a good all rounder it's going to play like shit off his phone. Mine just barely maybe hits listening volume on my galaxy s8.
The ath-msr7 has weeb tuning and is exceptionally easy to drive. Should good on your phone/pc. It's not open back though. Open backs tend to need amplification.

Not the user you're replying to, but Reddit is a better resource than /hpg/ because /hpg/ is filled with nothing but Sup Forums-console-wars-tier shitposting lately, from supporters and detractors of many brands.
You should really do a lot of research outside of /hpg/ because of all the shitposting that goes on here lately. It's really bad here. People here would rather shill a particular brand and/or shit on a particular brand for shitposting purposes than actually give sincere recommendations.
You have been given some sincere advice in this thread but I would recommend doing research outside of /hpg/ to determine which advice is sincere and which advice is not.

>Alright guess I was getting meme'd on then.
You were getting memed. People who shill the m50x never had a good headphone in their collection. I'd sooner listen to the KSC75 over the m50x.

Attached: a.jpg (1396x583, 260K)

this, join the discord for legit advice

Open headphones in your price range tend to require amplification.

>The ath-msr7 has weeb tuning and is exceptionally easy to drive.
A550Z or A990Z would be better picks if portability is not a concern. Very easy to drive too.

Alright thanks guys I think i'm going for the ath-msr7's then

Attached: 51410751_p0.jpg (1000x1511, 839K)

Don't do this. The Discord is filled with /hpg/ shitposters.

>lately
it has been like this for a year or so. atleast bottlehead + o2 gets recommended again instead of schiit trash.

Wait user don't yet!
Go do some research on the a550z, a990z, and the msr7 then make a pick!
Don't buy strictly on this thread pls

Msr7 is good but do consider the a550z/a990z. Their bass is more likely to satisfy you. They are too bulky to be taken outdoors though.

>w-wait
the absolute state of ATH shills

MSR7 is super fatiguing and unlistenable after 2 hours.

t. actually owns them

How would the A550Z be better if it's cheaper?
Would they also be good for gaming on the pc?

Attached: MinakoThink.png (2340x2974, 2.72M)

>ath-msr7
I think you mean takstar pro 82

He clearly wants weeb tuning, which is a real thing headphones get a different tuning for japan markets, and akg/ath is the way to go for that.

I know, I'm just teasing user

ATH-MSR7 are Idol Trash approved and he has good taste in headphones, so I approve.

>How would the A550Z be better if it's cheaper?
It's not solely about price. There's plenty of expensive headphones that suck. The MSR7 doesn't suck but its sound signature appeals to a certain taste and I don't believe that taste is yours if you especially mention bass as something you want.
Manufacturers aren't consistent in what they make. The M70X is more expensive than all the audio technica options we're suggesting yet most people would fucking stay away from this bright murder.
Pricing can also differ dramatically in regions. A550Z is almost the same price as MSR7 in Europe for example. In the US the art monitor series is priced more closely to Japan's prices which are quite cheap for such good closed headphones.
IMHO the sound of the A550Z is superior, particularly because it has some soundstage that feels like an open headphone, and the bass is more well balanced and present. But build quality wise I'd argue it's inferior though. It's very cheaply made, has a non-removable cable while the MSR7 feels more sturdy and has removable 3.5mm cables.
There's all sorts of parameters to judge an headphone and for why they're priced the way they are.
If you want the best sound that might fit your taste the A550Z and A990Z are the most likely picks for you. They also don't need amps, very sensitive headphones.

Well the thing is most idol weeb music don't have a lot of bass it's just something I like when they do have. Would you still recommend a550z over msr7?

MSR7 has accurate but not boosted bass. It has bass. It has enough bass. It just doesn't have boosted bass.

Somebody said something about Aliexpress having a sale on the 28th, does that mean I can get Takstars for -15% off?

strawpoll.me/15362559

>Well the thing is most idol weeb music don't have a lot of bass it's just something I like when they do have. Would you still recommend a550z over msr7?
How important are female vocals to you? Owning both headphones, I can say that the MSR7 definitely has an edge in making female vocals shine over the rest and stand out. The bass is also high quality, but it's quite receded, so you won't get the hit from some of the good nippon EDM there is out there. Listening to the MSR7 I also kinda miss the soundstage of more wide sounding headphones.

Posting out of curiosity:
strawpoll.com/b5x123dc
Reply with your reasoning if you want

Attached: 1440629729271.jpg (1400x875, 207K)

I would say I like the vocals a little higher than the music but I like both neck and neck

delet this. redo the poll with the takstars