Painting with drops

>painting with drops
>Sup Forums appreciates the fanboy and chum chum influence and likes it
>many claiming it'll be the modern pet sounds
>pitchfork drops their 6.2
>Sup Forums immediately pans it and now thinks it's the shittiest album of the year

why can't you guys form your opinions instead of being blatant drones?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e2XmdvJcUcw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sup Forums recently decided they don't like anco
it's very sad because they are the best band to ever walk the earth

i hated it at first but it grew on me, god damn did it grow on me
great driving album

I never liked it. The people claiming it was OG pets sounds were just retarded.

>tfw when i am one of the people who called this pet sounds
>tfw when still decent 8, even with the aftermath

come at me

not like its the first time

Floridada is literally the only good song on the album. The rest is either unlistenable or just white noise. Try to prove me wrong.
>inb4 "durr stupid normie you arent allowed to like the most popular song on the album"

I liked some of it at first and then I really hated it once I realized it had no emotional core and was just elevator music

youtube.com/watch?v=e2XmdvJcUcw

floridada and summing are skip every time-core

>>Sup Forums appreciates the fanboy and chum chum influence
What does that even mean?

summerkid meme

not even listened to it yet and I saw them live this year :^)

they were bad btw

it's a good album
most of the songs are good but when it missteps those songs are actually some of their worst ever
floridada is not a standout and gets boring pretty quickly
panda is actually goat on this album, summing the wretch is great
i don't know if people missed the point of the hocketing or if they're just stupid
people complaining about 'farty-synths' or similair are literally children

Floridada is a great song.

what's the point of the hocketing?

it's supposed to be disorienting and add to their take on translating cubist/dadaistic ideas to their music

this is obviously completely anecdotal-- i liked the album upon release but never thought it would really challenge any of my established anco favorites. i think fundamentally it's very good, as are all their records, but it's their worst album so far. i'd give it about a 7.5 if i were pressed for a rating.

for me, at least, it goes to show how consistent they are. i think their next work could be really fascinating, and i'm hoping they'll have deakin on board

ah, i can dig that

>translating cubist/dadaistic ideas to their music
would you have come to that conclusion yourself if not for the press release/interviews they did stating this fact? whatever their goals were, they weren't translated successfully since like 80% of people weren't able to get what they were going for in the final product without the help of extramusical content.

you dont know the essence of the fanboy and chum chum if you werent in the original thread

you have no idea how retardely i laughed when i saw the comparison of PW, a record i had listened to a lot, and this strange show which i had never heard of, so l looked up the theme song and i just completely lost my shit

no, but that doesn't mean they didn't achieve it. it's maybe a little obtuse for listeners, but i think they achieved exactly what they wanted. the themeing makes sense throughout the entire album if you're aware of it.
how could you make the idea clearer from a listeners perspective save explicitly spelling it out?

why does no one talk about/ notice how political this album is??

I love Floridada & Golden Gals, what the fuck?

It has nothing to do with pitchfork. This shit happens because Sup Forums has a tendency to just hype shit up to unrealistic levels, then become exceedingly bitter when those unrealistic expectations are not met. Its why the reception of PW went from 10/10 thwir best album to 0/10 a huge piece of shit when really a 6.2 is pretty accurate for this album. It wont be remembered like most of their other albums.

>i don't know if people missed the point of the hocketing or if they're just stupid
this was mostly what I was referring to. people aren't stupid if they don't read a bands press releases. and just because there is a concept behind a particular aspect of an album doesn't mean it works. the issue of the way the hocketing is executed is that it completely fragments or obfuscates the sense of melody, which on top of already angular and "sharp" synth arrangements and tightly coiled drum patterns leads to a very claustrophobic and tiring listen. there's no contrast. if you want to argue that they were going for a cubist route then I say they failed there, because although they paint a picture of the microscopic aspects of cubist art - where the pieces at first clash and make something unrecognizable or "disorienting", they never pull back and unveil the broad aspect of it - the tracks never coalesce into a picture that suddenly makes scene and forms a cohesive whole while looking at it from a macroscopic view.

this

I wasn't that hyped up about it and was still disappointed. This is their only release so far to have a few songs that are completely forgettable.

no thanks you most definitely have shit stains from improper wiping

>...it completely fragments or obfuscates the sense of melody...
>the tracks never coalesce into a picture that suddenly makes scene and forms a cohesive whole
i would say they do, though- when you notice the actual melody that the hocketing fragments.

and the stupid part of "i don't know if people missed the point of the hocketing or if they're just stupid" was directed at the people who complain about the hocketing in the same way as they do "farty synths"

i just don't find the melodies to be very strong or particularly memorable. partly because of the hocketing, but mostly just because the song-writing is weak.

again, maybe they just don't enjoy those facets of the album despite the fact they they were supposedly imbued with some meaning or concept. i don't understand how that's "stupid" - that's literally taste.

i think this can be chalked up to being the first release they didn't tour beforehand

Kill yourself

you're retarded

It's a mediocre album and Deakin BTFO AnCo with Sleep Cycle. And i don't give a shit about p4k

>tfw I actually liked the album in its entirety

Yeah, my opinion of this album will probably change within the next year, but I still haven't got sick of it.

Vertical, Recycling, and Spilling Guts are some of the best songs they've ever done

the album is and always was utter shite

Same here.
Its not as good as the albums before it, but I still love it. I can see how a lot of people hate it though.

floridada is great you gayniggerfaggot

The Pet Sounds thing is literally always a meme. Nobody means it seriously.

You are a fucking retard.

Hocus Pocus is sonically interesting, progresses with variation that makes sense but still surprises, and it has that great sequential modulation in the chorus that still manages to be catchy. That's just the next song on the album.

I'm with you OP. People that like SJ and MPP should at the very least kind of like PW. It's creative, distinct from their earlier sounds as always, great production, committed to a sonic theme, and the songwriting is literally just as solid as it ever was. Maybe Panda overplayed his hand on the hocketing, but that should only really ruin like three songs at most, because you you ubiquitously hate it it's just a bias, not a critique. Some of the lyrical content is a little too pointed at a political thing. But anybody claiming that this album is poppier than their other stuff isn't really analyzing the music, and just using the term pejoratively. Anybody that thinks this is "zany" as opposed to just playful was never truly on board for AnCo, and only ever liked them because they were told they should. PW isn't their best album by a long shot, but saying MPP and SJ are amazing and PW is garbage is demonstrably stupid.

I don't even understand what's not to get about it. It's just a distinct sonic technique that isn't used very often. The added conceptual content just makes it a little more interesting, it works on its own, for at least the tracks that are well written. I don't really care for a few of them, but it has nothing to do with the hocketing.

The production is incredibly clear. If you can't wrap your head around the melody because of the hocketing you either need to listen to it more or you actually might be bad at music literacy.

Pet Sounds makes no sense at all, but it is a decent album. I would even say Feels has as many misses or at least subpar songs on it that PW does, and everybody gives it a pass. Same goes for STG, which people romanticize despite its consistently redundant, predictable songs with absolutely terrible production.

i never said the production wasn't clear and i never said that there was no melody - just that it was fragmented and slightly disjointed. i get that that was what they were going for but i didn't find it appealing, especially since i don't find the melodies to be particularly strong. boys latin was a track where it was executed much better because the melody was more compelling imo.

>I don't even understand what's not to get about it
that user was talking about the hocketing on a conceptual level though and so that's what i was responding to. i think it's understandable that ppl wouldn't necessarily get that they were going for a cubist aesthetic if they were listening "blind" and without the band elucidating on their intentions.

as for how it works on a pure sonic level, well that's up to taste. some ppl will find it to be a cool technique and others will find it grating. i belong in the latter camp, especially since the album was inundated with it.