/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/07JOiZOKVR0

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Attached: 1489019958495.jpg (5020x1708, 2.22M)

Attached: 7b34c23d54cb499acc13a810cadf6123.jpg (639x960, 115K)

This thread has been blessed by the windy knob

Attached: 20180206_151851-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 2.27M)

Sorry about the thread confusion Anons...I was beaten by 5 seconds. Fucking capsha...

Attached: Beyond the veil.jpg (1280x1024, 200K)

Why are there so many photos of this watch being held carefully buy gloves like it’s some kind of rare diamond?

this time next year I could be starting an apprenticeship in watch repair, but I'm still a bit unsure of it as a career. Right now there is an obvious skill shortage in youth, particularly as the old tradesmen retire, but I feel like demand is going to drop off a cliff in the coming decades.

You'll always have work changing batteries and fixing up the occasional mechanical watch. But in either case, it won't pay well.

My other thought is that it really ties me to urban centres, when I'm becoming more interested in going more rural.

I have no experience in this so I'm just talking out of my ass, but I would have thought that the only real career in watches would be to strive for going the whole way, as in, go to one of those swiss or swiss-sponsored watchmaking schools with all its trials and tribulations and find work through those avenues. That's a career. A mall watch chop shop that'll become increasing scarce as this next decade wears on seems more like a dead end.

Just what do you do?

Maybe you can do work where the customer mails in watches...I'm sure as long as your reputation is solid and work good, people will trust to mail it to you....

The cost of working in the city is ever-increasing...

Attached: a-lange-and-sohne-lange-1-18752-042.jpg (640x480, 188K)

How many standard drinks a night is too many?

>vacheron minute repeater
heh
you mean
>re-cased JLC minute repeater

In many ways, I really do fight the long defeat. But practically I work to preserve highly specialized knowledge from the destruction of natural history. That's all I'll say. It's extraordinarily rewarding artistically, but not particularly monetarily.

But I have food on the table, a roof over my head, and watches on my wrist, so I will not complain. I just find it difficult to work in detail when there's a gnawing voice that says, 'it's not worth it, ya know...no one cares, and no one needs what you're preserving.'.

It's too easy in this world to give up, user. If I'd known how bad things were to get, I wouldn't have continued in my education. But now I see the need, and understand why it's important to make sure that I'm not the last of my kind, the last generation to have seen what was possible, and to understand how it was done. It sound cliche, it sounds egotistical, etc etc...but I don't care. It's necessary now, because we've come too far for it all to be lost.

Now, back to watches.

Attached: I've seen God....jpg (920x620, 102K)

It depends on how much it hurts.

Attached: Omega lume.jpg (1024x768, 16K)

My fucking sarb is running way too fast, where should I bring it? I can't seem to find any reputable watchmakers around, can I just drop it off at Seiko boutique in Amsterdam? Will they try to rape my wallet?

Oh no no no no
Not at all I just like gin

Cheers user. Here's another beautiful watch for you...

Attached: patek-5119-oblique.jpg (1024x637, 94K)

If it's in the order of extra minutes a day, it might be magnetized. A decent jeweler (that deals in watches) should be able to swipe that shit for you.
If it's just like, 30+ seconds over spec then I dunno what.

I'm not the user from the last thread btw. Just another functional alcoholic I suppose.

How fast

It's not, I have a chink demagnetizer.
Around 30 spd now.

That's probably in spec

So...you're the one drinking Gin, or is that the other user? Fuckit...just post your favorite watch. It's nice to look at beautiful things....

Attached: Lange-Sohne-Tourbograph-Pour-le-Merite-SIHH-2005.jpg (1280x960, 157K)

Good to see there's another gin head here.
Here, have a shitty pic of me OVM.

Attached: DEkezKE[1].jpg (2448x3264, 795K)

lol No no...Rum here...and I'm too drunk to take a good picture, so here's a stock photo on my wrist....

Attached: P2140114.jpg (4288x3216, 2.98M)

I am also drinking gin.

Attached: _img.jpg (1400x928, 118K)

Fuck, sorry. The courteous thing to do would be to at least mention in my last post that it's nice to see a dive watch with full sword hands So, Nice! How's it keeping in terms of time?

Attached: Omegaclasp.jpg (640x480, 35K)

Where did you get this from?
Ive been looking for somewhere to buy a panda.

Attached: repeater_02.jpg (1640x1094, 379K)

Man...you know, in all honesty I've never taken to the Royal Oak. While I can appreciate the technical horology involved, the design has never appealed to me. I don't know why, as the integrated bracelet is really cool, the look is iconic and unique, and everything is clean....

But I'm trying user...I'm trying. Are you wearing it now?

Attached: Omegabeauty.jpg (640x480, 38K)

I don't own one (yet)
That's a long way off 2bh

Attached: repeater_01.jpg (1640x1094, 325K)

I got mine from WatchUnique, in the Netherlands. Are you looking for the Panda in 37mm, or in 42mm? (DON'T WORRY ANONS, I WILL NOT WRITE A WALL OF TEXT TONIGHT)

Attached: 42 and 37.jpg (1920x1280, 1010K)

Attached: biz watch.jpg (750x725, 86K)

unrelated to watches but source on that shirt user?

Wow...I've never seen that before man. I don't know what to make of it...on the one hand, it's a minute repeater...on the other, I can't tell from the pic if the blue is 'blue blue' or just 'blue'...ya know what I mean.

The AP Royal Oak...is it something you're seriously aiming for (i.e. you're already saving for it) or is it something that is more of a 'when I'm established and comfortable' kinda watch? Or, to be even more pedantic, is that the stainless Steel version someone was talking about last thread that is impossible to get unless you've already bought a few watches from them?

Attached: The original.jpg (405x425, 37K)

Not sure yet. I have medium sized wrists. Is there a big price difference?

rook rike a butcher put his shitter onto a raw sausage for shits and gigs

I don't know, it depends on the site. It uses the same movement, but there are differences in the details. The 42mm do not use acrylic or sapphire, they use mineral glass (it's harder than acrylic but softer than sapphire). They also have longer pushers for the chrono, and the writing on the back is different too.

It's a tough one user...have you read up on WUS forums yet? They have VERY long threads about these watches, and you'll learn everything you need to know about them from there. Pic is one of the 37mm pandas, which you may or may not have seen yet.

Attached: Seagull white alternate.jpg (1024x683, 135K)

Realistically I know I will never get one. But it's the one watch I have dreamed of since I first got into watches who knows how long ago. One was on sale locally for a steal not too long ago but I didn't have the funds to spend on it at the time. It didn't sell so if it did come back up for sale in a couple of years my answer might be different.

Attached: movement_cropped_2.jpg (1400x1120, 224K)

I'll probably go 42mm. I have a 40mm amphibia on right now and I wouldn't mind going a little bit larger.
Is it sketchy ordering from ebay? Some good deals on there it seems.

For what it's worth, it should be possible to carefully but seriously save up for one, no? I mean, if it's the one you really want, and if it's actually available and possible to purchase....you could realistically do so in maybe 10 years? Just guessing, but I know I could do so for the Speedmaster grail of mine...if one were available for sale, that is.

I've never actually ordered from eBay, so I have no idea. I went with a 'reputable' (laughable but that's what they're called) company so that in case of any serious problems I'd have some form of recourse. I have no idea how ebay works for disputes, so your experience will be more informative than mine.

The 42mm have good lines...the faces are definitely less scrunched than the 37mm. I'll tell you what I tell everyone; have a watchmaker handy so that if you receive the watch and something is not perfect you can at least take it to them to see if it's a big fix or a small fix. Unless of course you're a watchmaker yourself. The movements are not the problem...the problem happens when external companies case the movement and ship it off...and there's no guarantee that the person casing does any regulation or that the movement isn't cased with dust and hair and shit inside.

Mine's holding to +1/2 seconds a day, surprisingly....hopefully it'll stay that way. And yes, I've tried clapping with it on, and it still works.

Attached: P2140110.jpg (4288x3216, 2.84M)

I don't worry much about buying shit on eBay, I stick with sellers with good ratings. Besides, should an issue occur eBay tends to side with the buyer.

I guess what I was trying to say but couldn't quite get to it was to not give up....if it's what you want, go for it. Easy to say, of course...hard to do. But when it comes to money in this world, almost anything is possible as long as you're not living in Venezuela or something like that....

I used to think pic related was unreachable...until I saw a few in that store in Piccadilly Arcade that Londonfags will know about that only sells vintage rolexes. When I was there, they had 3. Granted, I wasn't looking to buy at the time, but it at least gave me hope that they still exist. Same with Cal. 321 Speedmasters.

Life is short, and so noticeably fragile as you get older. Plan for it, and you'll achieve it, if your heart still wants it after the work is done. Don't give up.

Attached: Double Red.jpg (1000x665, 130K)

I could realistically save up for one in a year and a half, two years. I just know that it probably isn't a good idea to spend that much on a watch if it takes me that long to save up for it. And by the time I can I don't plan to be the only one with access to my bank account and will have hopefully some mini me's running around. And then when I get to the age I feel I can start treating myself again my opinion on what I want to do may be completely different.
Basically life will happen before I think it would be sensible for me to spend that much on a watch.

Attached: ap_2.jpg (1640x1093, 354K)

Your (You)'s

Attached: U.png (133x30, 10K)

That's fair enough. Family always comes first. It's a tough balance, but one that has obvious priorities. Maybe down the road of life you'll be able to get one that is second hand or less of a hit than new. My Seamaster was second hand, and it didn't matter, especially after being serviced. Best of luck starting the family man...it changes you beyond anything you're ready for.

Thanks...I guess...Pic is for you.

Attached: Pam111side.jpg (1024x768, 81K)

Was it chunkier/larger than the old MM300?

Yeah I'm pretty aware of that it will change me. I'm very close to my uncle who had kids late in life and I have seen his priorities and goals change while being old enough to see and understand it.
But that's a plan anyway. Who knows I may be exactly where I am in life with more money than I need as a single guy in a couple years and I'll buy it because why not.
Who knows what the future holds.

Attached: L1190605.jpg (1000x750, 190K)

Yup...family changes all the priorities and goals. But, it's not the end, just another beginning. You have the chance to help a young human turn into something miraculous. If it all works out, it's worth more than any watch. Good luck for the journey user.

Attached: Closer look.jpg (2016x1357, 904K)

Goodnight /wt/...as always, thanks for being there.

Attached: Seagull 1963 acrylic.jpg (1216x753, 1.06M)

>-15/+25
Not really. And it was +40 for a little while too so I feel something isn't right.
So, should I just bring it to Seiko? Will they take it?

Fuck, I don't need it.

Attached: 29597483_1929619827050683_3663495564726134787_n.jpg (960x960, 66K)

Make sure to give us the exclusive autist scoop user.

Not my pic.

Attached: 29512633_1929619783717354_906805660848468990_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=cbdce0abb20d38fdedb357864e9bcb8d (960x960, 63K)

Attached: IMG_20180326_020555_509.jpg (1080x609, 166K)

Nice. I love these retro inspired omegas. They really nailed the Railmaster as well.

Wrist check, yall. British summer time is here!

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1661, 2.02M)

How do you feel about this Seiko homage by Breitling?

Attached: seiko vs breitling.png (975x569, 819K)

Attached: IMG_4975.jpg (3264x2448, 1.43M)

I honestly like the Seiko better out of these two, the face seems more clean and the bezel is more organized

What does the X on the Seiko signify? I feel that it ruins the look and makes it kinda tacticool

>cant tell if daft or genuinely dont know
Go like your nose around the Seiko website, you might learn something.

I'm currently unemployed (was previously making minimum wage) and just blew $1400 (or thereabouts, I'm not American) on a rather fetching check charcoal cashmere suit with a purple floral lining. After buying this, it struck me that I actually don't have a watch to go with this, and that I can't afford my dream watch (silver/blue wavy dial Omega Seamaster).

What watch do I buy on a budget ($150 or less) that isn't made by Seiko?

Attached: 1516655709026.jpg (640x1136, 145K)

> going to Seiko.com

No thanks, senpai.

Aware me on new omega

>charcoal cashmere suit with a purple floral lining
I can't picture this on my mind, care posting a picture?

Are you a woman or just a gay man?

I'm not gay so I'm not posting pics of me in my incredibly sexually attractive suit so you can leak precum into your $5 polyester pants.

I mean the suit alone or a stock picture, and not you wearing it you twat.

A Co.Ward with knife, fork and spoon

Don't forget to save a bit for your fedora

Are you fucking gay or some shit?

Here's a picture of the lining, that's all that should be required to get your boipucci leaking lubricative juices (excrement), fucking faggot.

>wearing a suit
>fedora
Spotted the virgin.

Women will literally choke on your cock in minutes if you're wearing a nice suit.

Anyway fucking advise me a cheap watch to go with it, faggots. Preferably something with a stainless steel strap so I don't have to colour match it with my belt/shoes.

Attached: my gear.jpg (483x634, 135K)

The fuck is your problem

That looks gay af.
No cheap watches are good poorfag

The X is their edgy logo for the "prospex" line.
It's hideous, and they even put it on the new MM300.

I don't have any problem at all, I just know that women like a nice/expensive looking watch to go with a suit.

Kill yourself. Contrast linings are literally the fucking shit. It means you can walk down the street in the wind with your jacket unbuttoned and people see a mostly plain jacket with a incredibly loud lining, it just screams to women "choke on my cock and swallow the cum".

>150$
>nice/expensive looking watch
Shouldn't have blown cash on your gay suit.

That doesn't sound great, how long have you had it? Have you tested on all the various positions to see if the rate is similar? Here's how my SARB runs.

Attached: Screenshot_20180326-101919.jpg (1080x1920, 345K)

It doesn't need to be that expensive looking, it just needs to be nice.

I'd like a nice divers watch for that price if one is available, please note that I understand I'm making a big sacrifice in this regard as a quality used Seamaster is only 10x that much and I should save up.

Every time this is posted. Are you not sick of being so predictable?

Indeed, though I'm back at work after a week off.

Attached: IMG_20180326_101403.jpg (3496x4656, 3.54M)

How about you get a vintage Seiko quartz? It’s quirky, all silver and pretty damn cool.

Attached: image.jpg (1242x2208, 864K)

>Seiko
>quartz

To be honest mate, just save up for a real seamaster. It will last you years and years and will be an actual nice watch for you.
Also why are people calling you out for wearing a suit??! This board is horrible for fashion advice.

Less than a year, about 7-8 months, I guess. I'll do more testing but it was running pretty shit when worn and with dial up.

Are you the faggot with the suit? This watch is by far the most interesting and best watch for $150.

How dumb would it be to buy the new Tudor Black Bay new from an AD?

Any watch sub $150 and not made by Seiko is just going to be some cheap quartz shitter or some gaudy Chinese fashion shitter.

Or a fashion quartz mall watch.

So you don't see the indian poo hands that handle them, obviously
Watches are for fags

Ah the classic "I want to buy a $150 watch but avoid one of the best companies in that price bracket because I am le contrarian snowflake" post.

Not at all. Where else would you get one? Make sure you haggle.

What kinda % off is not retarded to ask for?

This watch may be in demand so you might struggle but I’ve heard of people knocking off 15%.
Never done it personally though. Maybe other anons will chime in.

I feel this watch will hold its value well based on its size and general widespread approval.

What an inaccurate shitter

How much more accurate are sub $1000 watches? Or do i gotta shell out for a rolex for cosc accuracy?

Attached: Screenshot_20180326-174819.png (1080x1920, 172K)

Cheapest COSC are Tissot and Mido

Nah. It's funny, plus the fact that some people are actually wearing that watch is hilarious.

My Chr Ward is currently +5 seconds per day.