What do we replace email with?

>Insecure by design
>Hassle to run own server
>Encryption has to be applied manually and only possible for the body of the email
>No built in way to verify contacts

There must be a better way to register accounts and send shit to eachother that doesn't rely on this but is still convenient enough for the masses

Attached: serveimage.png (927x406, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cr.yp.to/im2000.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

DUDE WEED LMAO

Facebook Messenger

xmpp services like whatsapp and facebook messenger are popular

its not very difficult to run your own xmpp server

True, but xmpp messages lack the markup that email has. Also different xmpp servers enforce different levels of encryption, which sometimes results in messages not being delivered at all.
XMPP + OMEMO as an im solution/alternative is great. But having to scroll through every contact instead of archiving one email thread seems unwieldy.

cr.yp.to/im2000.html

as if it was easier to run a jabber service than email.
but yeah. good luck replacing standardized communications when literally everything else is less stable and less common... in the end, everybody (!) uses email

irc bro.
Public IP is a plus. It's a completely insecure chat, and it own's that. If you want to talk securely, it's best to take the same precautions you would using IRC. Go on an IP adress that you don't own, do a manual diffie helmen or whatever.

If ya don't like it make your own protocol :p.

Twitter

You cant because normies dont care and even people who care can't be bothered and your left with maybe 2 people to talk too and end up just going back to fb messenger or whatever

>Insecure by design
>by design
I don't think it was "by design", and it can be easily made secure.
>Hassle to run own server
Learning and doing it the first time properly and securely will take you a couple of hours at most. After that, you can write scripts that do it in under 5 minutes.
>Encryption has to be applied manually and only possible for the body of the email
That's like saying DNS requests and IP addresses aren't encrypted either. Thanks captain obvious.
>There must be a better way to register accounts and send shit to eachother that doesn't rely on this
I just have my own mailserver with a catchall address where I can register to a site with [email protected]. Pretty simple.
>still convenient enough for the masses
The masses don't care

XMPP also doesn't have UI's as perfect as this

Attached: file.png (1072x773, 190K)

>can be easily made secure
lol

anyway, maybe if you whitelist everything...

If you want to hear a joke, look at the modern day web. email is far more secure than the complete fuck up that is the world wide web, and that's only because there are less vulnerabilities. It's like the cia niggers had a contest of who could get hacked the fastest.

>I don't think it was "by design", and it can be easily made secure.
It was by design though, it didn't need to be secure when it was just two universities popping messages around that weren't interesting to anyone else.
>Learning and doing it the first time properly and securely will take you a couple of hours at most. After that, you can write scripts that do it in under 5 minutes.
If you already have a significant amount of experience, remember that normal people can easily host a video game server with three clicks from within the client. But have never even touched a command line, linux, apache or SQL in their lives. They would have to google how to get a domain first, let alone control the server.

>That's like saying DNS requests and IP addresses aren't encrypted either. Thanks captain obvious.
They don't need to be when the purpose of most websites is to broadcast information to all viewers. The way email is used to verify accounts and share sensitive information, attachments, titles, headers and metadata need to be obfuscated as much as possible.

>I just have my own mailserver with a catchall address where I can register to a site with [email protected]. Pretty simple.
Yeah, good for you. But it's still the same protcol and it's still not feasible for everyone.

>The masses don't care
They do care, they just haven't been given an accessible alternative. Build it and they will come.

>It was by design though
They didn't purposefully make it not secure. It's not like they sat down and said "hey, let's make a way to send messages that anyone can read!"
>They would have to google how to get a domain first, let alone control the server.
They really don't care. I've spoken to tons and tons of people about today's botnet in depth. They listened, and said "but I have nothing to hide", which I always repond with "then give up your free speech because you have nothing to say", and every single time they say shrug it off and forget about it. It's a hopeless fight.
>They don't need to be
Everything needs to be, otherwise where do you draw the line? At your bank details? lol
>still not feasible for everyone
99% of the population couldn't care less.
>they just haven't been given an accessible alternative
They have searx, custom roms, VPN's, and countless other completely free (and often better) alternatives. So why don't they use them? Because most people want big icons that they can click on and immediately do the thing they wanted it to do, and that's it.

you are a faggot. Email is the perfect option since it was made without normalfags and profit in mind.
Just buy a small netbook or some shit and set up a server.

Sms

Whatsapp and Messenger don't use XMPP for a while now

IRC is not encrypted by default afaik

Matrix. Riot.im is a good start. Or xmpp

cock.li

>>Encryption has to be applied manually
This isn't a bad thing, honestly

Allows you to use encryption independently from the protocol used and from your email provider, meaning they have no control over it but you have FULL control. If you use gmail or whatever, google has literally NO way to access your email contents without bruteforcing it.

It's why I don't trust shit like protonmail that generates keys for you and promises they don't know what keys you get. If you use GPG you can be sure you're the only one who has that private key since it's not tied to any account and you don't have to upload it anywhere. It's all done client-side and you're the one doing it. Not a 3rd party.

> and only possible for the body of the email
I can't think of any reason why you'd want to encrypt anything besides the body/attachments of the email. Sender/recipient email address isn't even worth keeping private and you can always put vague shit in the subject.

everything about email is pretty good except maybe SMTP, IMAP, queuing, mailbox, base64 encoding of binary data, line-based messaging, spam-prone model, lack of proper sender-authentication and history of terrible software involved

Enjoy botnet

Attached: 1438981025361.jpg (1374x1425, 391K)

>responding on troll answer with finnish qt roastie
thanks user, I'm glad for your existence, keep it up

Don't try to fix things that are not broken