Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7FkpM4FWa8A
youtube.com/watch?v=oy-3KI2eHi4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=7FkpM4FWa8A

there are no real connections on Sup Forums

It is always a DNS issue.

it's boring

That's because the people that know about networking are too busy fixing bullshit to post.

IPv6 never

What are some good materials for a beginner in networking? I'm talking PDFs, freely available books, websites.

Just now I noticed the pack of Winstons on that pic

They say this one is pretty solid and makes it easier to understand. Also authors are big names of networking.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-03-26-23-37-40-819_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.png (1080x1430, 1.95M)

networking requires theoretical knowledge, hands on experience and a bit of common sense.
Most of Sup Forums fails on those fields, that's why you have 10 rice threads and 20 generals irrelevant to technology.
>herp derp Sup Forums clocks are techmachnology, clock thread

Attached: 5808691.jpg (1024x768, 247K)

>requires theoretical knowledge, hands on experience and a bit of common sense
wow you mean like fucking everything? Typical ITfags riding on the coat-tails of computer scientists

There are tons of recreational programmers but does anyone have "networking" for a hobby?
It is often a comfy job but it is a fucking job at the end of the day. And people with jobs don't post here.

By the time you've learned enough about networking you've lost all your friends and any latent ability or drive to socialize.

Attached: KozierokTCPIP.png (504x666, 109K)

>Implying people that have to deal with network shit have the time to shitpost here.

youtube.com/watch?v=oy-3KI2eHi4

Networking is AIDS, I have no idea how people can become knowledgeable on such a clusterfuck of a topic. Or maybe I'm just stupid

They're actually working and don't have all day just to shitpost like NEET programmers.

Attached: burbugA.jpg (161x162, 13K)

Networking is actually quite fun, I enjoy it myself.
Well it stops being fun when the calls at 3am start coming in - which is mostly why I'm not mainly doing networking anymore.

>wow you mean like fucking everything?
no.
for example, programming is a craft.
You don't have to know calculus or algorithm analysis to program.

>Typical ITfags riding on the coat-tails of computer scientists
CS degree here, done research on 10gbase-kr networks, then moved to sdr, both in doing research on sdr and creating sdr cards.
I've taken part in the 5 threads about sdr and fpgas that has been created here the last 6 months, you can find my posts easily as I posted with the name "Yorgos".
...moving slowly from the useless CS, toward CE and maybe EE, planning a VLSI - GPU/CPU/DSP arch master and hopefully getting a phd position on some mixed signal chip.

>I don't know what technology is
>technology is only compooters
Christ and you want to call others retarded? Clocks are technology

don't read this book. it's useless if you don't read the kurose ross computer networking a top down approach first.
work on examples using C(strictly C) and play with different TCP/UDP server-client projects along with user's pic related.

the only clocks that are considered technology after WWII are atomic clocks and VCOs/PLLs.

On a scale of autistic to 50 year old turbo virgin autist living at home where do you fall?

You defiantly will learn a lot writing a networking program in C. It really forces you to take seriously checking all of the calls for errors and how much much timing matters with networking code. Something that worked in one scenario will break down in the other because you got lucky with timing in the first case.

I recently was working on bandwidth testing program that supported a server handling multiple test clients. It was a tad bit surprising to learn that there is not a good program to do this with.

because it is fucking boring
I work with cisco and juniper shit in ip and in transmission with cisco and nokia shits

PURE BOREDOM

*ciena and nokia shits

What's your favorite network protocol and why is it UDP?

Except its not

Its actually amazing anything even works
Somehow bits of light or electricity shooting down cables at light speed around the world through other peoples routers and hardware and then returning your request in mere seconds

Really makes me think

udp sucks because it's neither safe nor web-supported.

Watching the Chris Bryant udemy course right now. It's only like $15 bucks.

Find some books for CCNA or Conptia Net+ if you're really entry level.

I'm partial to Wendell Odom's books on CCNA. Used them while I was taking cisco Netacad courses last year.

UDP is extremely efficient and the best protocol for certain traffic like VoIP and real-time video.
I really hate this hurrdurr tcp vs udp shit I see occasionally on here. To me it shows a lack of understanding for each of their use cases.
It's like comparing legs to arms and saying arms are better because you can use them for more tasks. Yes, sure, but your life is going to suck if you don't have both.
Same is true with TCP/UDP, and there is absolutely no reason to not use both, so I don't see why it's even worth debating.

Okay, legitimate question.

Network administrator or systems administrator career path?

My current certs are:
>CompTIA A+
>CompTIA Net+
>CompTIA Server+
>Microsoft MTA - Network Fundamentals

I'm in my 4th overall year in the IT industry, primary experience is l1/l2 desktop support. Some basic AD and Exchange experience as well as limited mdm backend.

I took two semesters of Cisco network academy last year to prepare for CCNA.

After so much studying and failing the icnd1 my first attempt, I'm not 100% that I necessarily want to pursue networking.

There's really no reason Id prefer system admin over network admin or vice versa.

I know for sysadmin I'd have to study more VMware and Microsoft stuff as opposed to Cisco.

Does anyone have any pros and cons for each? I feel like I'm having some trouble grasping networking concepts but I'm not sure sysadmin stuff will be much better.

The Virgin TCP
>concerned with dividing the data it receives into little sized chunks before it passes it to the next layers
>has to acknowledge received packets
>so insecure that has to set timeouts to make sure the other end acknowledges packets that are sent
>does all the homework for the application layer

The Chad UDP
>sends packet to other host, done
>won't do other people's homework

is there any such thing as a good nftables tutorial for someone who doesn't already know iptables like the back of his hand?

Attached: 1507005506821.gif (591x605, 70K)

I believe ipv6 isn't seeing strong adoption because ipv4 addresses are just so much easier to read/remember/copy

NAT is a pain but its less of a pain than IPv6 turned out to be

I've experienced such a mind boggling lack of understanding between how UDP and TCP work and how to use them.

One of my coworkers had to support a customer who was bitching about low rate packet loss. First of all the packet drop rate was well below the acceptable IEEE losses for Ethernet. The kicker though was when they complained that only their UDP test would fail because it was loosing tiny amounts of data, like a packets after a day of line rate testing, but some how magically TCP never lost data.

Pretty fucking frustrating someone never took networking 101 and they waste your time with shit like this.

Attached: art,creative,emo,finger,funny,humor,illusion,illustration,macro,photography,suicide-043bbcfeefa17e71 (215x184, 9K)

>protocol memes
Next level networking

RIP Robbie

Go to red/ndit

ideally, we'd never have to discuss networking because everything would be working as it should and nothing would have been improperly configured

Thats because the people who know about networking are too busy fixing bullshit to create something that doesnt constantly break.

>implying being sysadmin won't include being network admin as well

If we leave it to the normies, ipv6 will never replace v4. What do I have to do to support PROGRESS?

get the isps to actually issue blocks of ipv6 instead of nat shit so that you can get advertising companies to be able to better track individuals based on their devices instead of their households

That's a very r9k feeling picture.

I'm a net admin at an ISP
AMA I guess?

are you keeping things in the tftp that would be bad if someone used dir to find out about them?

As a new hire being placed on a team who has indicated interest in networking, what kind of work would I be looking at?
I'm interested in the concepts behind networking, but don't know much about the day to day stuff besides putting out fires, which isn't what I'd want to do

I'm not agree. You can have the Home Server General /hsg/ where people go balls deep in networking. The /cyb/ + /sec/ Cyberpunk and Cybersecurity General which lately we've been discusing the Sup Forums mesh network, and from time to time you have even a pure networking general.
Beside the topic of generals being cancer or not, THERE IS networking discussion.

-Working with switches and network services
-Fixing wireless
-Possibly IP phone work and troubleshooting

>are you keeping things in the tftp
Not anymore. We got rid of our tftp stuff in a year ago

>go into a job thread at roughly 3 PM on any given day
>literally every post is about people without degrees talking about their computer fixing and networking certs
I have no idea what you're talking about, I often get bullied for having gone to college in these threads.

No, not at all. IPv6 isn't seeing adoption because it's a gigantic pain in the asscunt to integrate it with IPv4. If the network tards decided to make it backwards compatible, then there wouldn't be an issue at all.