Why is Sup Forumss music taste so contrived?

Lets get to the bottom of this Sup Forums why can't we make our own opinions? are we dependent on someone else for music exploration? Is this good or bad? Tell me what you think.

Because most of Sup Forums is under the age of 20. Really simple.

we are caught in the malaise of checking pitchfork, watching fantano and then reporting it here on Sup Forums thats what it has always been. But I do agree that my music taste has become less fun. Discovering an artist out of the blue and enjoying it for the sake of excitement is something I miss. All i do now is check the ratings.

>why can't we make our own opinions
speak for yourself

> are we dependent on someone else for music exploration?
maybe I am misunderstanding but how is taking input from others to find new music a bad thing? it's a perfectly valid course of action so long as you don't mimic their feelings on the music

billboard?

use rym

this is interesting its mostly because we have become competitive with music itself. Now that music is so accessible anyone can be an artist maybe we rely on others because we need to sort out the soundclouders from the actual artists who are putting in time. That was always a repercussion of the digital age of music the accessibility of assessment.

its very true honey bunny!

I used to go on /p/ a lot. It's there too. I think it might be a Sup Forums thing. Just about everybody acts the same way on any board.

oh mu

>why can't we make our own opinions?
But I can. Speak for yourself

you don't know what I listen to

>Fantano pic
>asinine post that says nothing but pretends to be profound
>literally doesn't engage with question posed but chin-scratches about how provocative it is
this is textbook Reddit upboat bait. can you please fuck off?

Define contrived

It's the exact same thing for "smart" people

The fuck are you talking about? His point and straight forward and concise, r u retarded?

>All i do now is check the ratings.
why? if you want to discover music on your own for the sake of excitement than do it. it's not complicated. youre making the decision to check what other people think about music you havent even heard yet.
>maybe I am misunderstanding but how is taking input from others to find new music a bad thing
ya taking recommendations is way different than checking reviews before you listen to something to see if it's "good" or "bad"
same problem buddy
RYM is useful for keeping track of what you've listened to and that's it. A numerical rating out of 5 should never be put on music.

Why can't I just rate things how I want them to and use the database to discover music?

Why shouldn't a numerical rating be put to music? It's just an abstract metric that signifies how someone feels about something. What's the big deal?

its not a big deal i was just being dramatic
is right. I just don't personally believe in putting ratings to music. also for me what each number means would change as i listen to more and more music. A 9 for me 2 years ago very well may be a 7 or lower now, because i've discovered music can be much better than i thought at that time.

this question is too deep for us to answer. try again you amphibolous 2 inch monkey prick

you sir

are

fucking

stupid

you don't get music maaaaaaaaaaan

>are we dependent on someone else for music exploration? Is this good or bad?
There is plenty of good reason to seek out editorial coverage of music. Reading about music and engaging with criticism expands one's critical vocabulary and enriches our understanding of the cultural and aesthetic context of the myriad forms that dank tunes take in this day and age. Unfortunately, the opportunity to use criticism in this fashion has evaded major publications and shallow vloggers alike in recent years and we see it's all a bunch of shit. Also, the patrons of the aforementioned have shit taste and ideals to begin with.

I'm not even arguing for a kind of hyper-informed vigilance for new trends and shit, I think that social pressure to be on the edge of the zeitgeist is so misguided. There's no monoculture to even keep track of nowadays. Everybody should be free to dredge up whatever archived information from years ago to draw a new perspective on what happened and what is happening to us all. There's no reason to prioritize records that are released today, as all they are are sounds, and good art touches at the human condition in all times.

>Discovering an artist out of the blue and enjoying it for the sake of excitement is something I miss. All i do now is check the ratings.
I don't have your problem. Ratings don't mean shit to me. I make 5+ major musical discoveries a month.

It's a linear scale and the way you experience music is at least 4D

There's a very large amount of music to listen to so it seems like a good idea to rely on reviews to determine what to listen to first. But then you run into the issue of your taste differing massively from other people and then the issue that some people have with just droning reviews rather than trying to find things they like.

I like to think I don't rely on reviews but occasionally I'll find myself trying to find new things to listen to and somewhat letting RYM's ratings guide me a little bit. I've tried to stop it but it's just hard to ignore an album having like a 2.8 or other kind of low score.

That being said I think it's impossible to avoid having some reliance on other people's tastes. Most people find music through charts or other forms of recommendations or some other way of a person bringing them up so in all those cases you're relying on other people actually talking about them.

>aging with criticism expands one's critical vocabulary
Wow, does reading books also expand your book vocabulary?

>There's no reason to prioritize records that are released today
Attempts to chart out hierarchies have seemed increasingly misguided and foolhardy, I agree. That said it is good to share things you have discovered with others, and maybe even have some of that *critical vocabulary* to help you articulate why you think it's bumpin

why is everyone so split sided on this topic. oldfags go away

Aside from tnd/p4k there are other resources for discovering music, and some of them don't involve you consulting other people's opinions at all.

One is that a lot of the artists you like are probably on some sort of record label. There are probably other artists on the same record label, whose music you haven't heard. You can blindly listen to this shit and often discover new stuff with no preconceptions.

Another thing is that the musicians in the bands that you like often play music with other bands. For example I was a fan of the krautrock band Pharaoh Overlord, and its members are part of this endless continuum of inter-related projects, almost all of which I have found that I enjoy. I have no fucking clue how critically acclaimed any of it is.

I also do consult Mr. Fantano and pitchfork, although since I seem to disagree with them just as often as I agree, I mainly consult their reviews for the description of how a record sounds and what style it belongs to.

y3s but its the coming back to p4k and fantano that alters our music taste in ways we don't expect. Like public influence if you will

well, because
this
Sup Forums is flooded with faggoty insecure teenagers. They don't fit in in high school so they try to fit in here.

People are too reliant here on what others have to say about music rather than forming their own opinion themselves. Simple as that.