Are gaming laptops a meme? any recommendations for one that doesn't look fucking retarded and is under 2000 USD?

are gaming laptops a meme? any recommendations for one that doesn't look fucking retarded and is under 2000 USD?

Attached: 34-154-230-V01.jpg (640x480, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microcenter.com/product/486481/1510_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-001A-00997
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834528010
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why a laptop though?

Attached: fear.jpg (87x83, 2K)

I travel a lot

if ur not doin intensive photoshop or excel work I personally think laptop workflow > desktop with mouse because your hands don't move away from home row as far with the touchpad right underneath so mindless web browsting and coding

Biggest problems are price hikes and lack of upgradability. If the screen sucks, you're stuck with it, and you are usually unable to switch CPU and GPUs, and sometimes not even RAM or storage.

microcenter.com/product/486481/1510_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

a modded chinkpad with roughly the same specs as what youre getting in an msi gaming laptop will run you $400

If you really feel like you need to play games on the go, you can get a normal laptop and a Nintendo Switch for less than that giant turd. The two devices together will actually weigh less too.

Where are you finding Thinkpads with high end mobile GPUs?

what's a good normal laptop that can do stuff like run matlab computations quickly?

>he uses a gpu
>ever
fucking neck yourself gayming faggot

thinkpad e570p has a 1050 ti (it's only in the australia store tho)

Consider your use case and decide whether you need a gaming laptop, or if a decent laptop with an external GPU would serve you better.

Gaming laptops are basically good as semi-mobile workstations. For example, if you often go over to friends houses to game, or if your job has you traveling a lot. Some of my Air Force buddies get sent place for weeks at a time, and a gaming laptop would be nice then.

I have an Alienware 14 only because I picked it up for, no joke, $50.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-001A-00997

They're not a meme starting with pascal gpus. $900-1000 gtx 1060 laptops that don't run that hot.

I have an MSI WS60. Not necessarily a gaming laptop. It's too bulky, battery life sucks, and build quality is terrible. Would recommend sticking with a normal laptop.

Attached: chairs_in_the_ring.webm (480x360, 2.99M)

I treat mine as an all in one PC that you can put into a backpack.

what's a good normal laptop?

can anybody recommend a solid laptop with a 1060? everything with a 1070 or higher seems to overheat quickly

agreed

Why not get a Hyundai?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834528010

craptop + gaming desktop
stream from desktop

ThinkPad (unironically).

Attached: pol_christmas.webm (640x480, 1.16M)

I bought a gaming laptop for college. the thing was bulky, heavy, and had no battery life; it was an absolute pain in the ass. I truly regret spending my money on that thing.

my advice: If you're going to get a laptop for portability make sure you don't sacrifice anything for the portability.
It's better to be annoyed by some low settings in games or longer render times than being annoyed by simply carrying it around. because you'll probably spend more time carrying it around than using it for games and such.

People shit a lot on Alienware, butt heir laptops are pretty legit, as their cooling system are pretty necessary to keep the computer from shitting itself up. You'll have to do extra steps to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 8 or 7, though.

surface book 2

>the most overpriced shitty pile of poop on the market

I just bought a Helios 300. Best price performance I found

You can always get a touchpad for your desk or maybe something like rollermouse.

Attached: image.jpg (1253x1770, 574K)

Gayming laptops usually look less retarded IRL than they do on pics because you don't have to use the keyboard backlight or set an edgy gamer wallpaper. Mine even has rounded corners so it looks like an average laptop aside from being black.

I've been trying to choose between Alienware R4/ASUS Zephyrus/Omen X. Anything better I should be on the lookout for? Are any of these substantially better than the others?

>Alienware 17 r4/ASUS Zephyrus GX501/Omen X
Also I was leaning towards that thin Zephyrus just because I liked the increased portability, however Omen X's mechanical keyboard and individual LEDs calls to me. Probably because I am part Mexican.

I'm using a Clevo P650RP-6
Pretty comfy knowing that the Nvidia GTX 1060 has a direct connection with the screen (no (((Optimus))) bullshit), enabling me to install GNU/Linux worry free. Do note that these days it isn't the laptop itself that is heavy; but the combined weight of the laptop and charger

lurk moar
hint : it's from dell

new xiaomi mi gaming laptop

Attached: 16352541847124.jpg (620x465, 40K)

This. Get an EGPU, and mod the case.
The cases make them heavy and immobile, the real electronics in it light & small

>20 fps
no thanks

I once had a MSI gaming laptop and it literally started burning while playing Dead space.
Great special effect

I got a dell inspiron 15 7567 for college, it's got a 1050ti and i7 7700hq, like 8 hour battery life and isn't insanely heavy or thick

I believe it. Can't even touch mine when playing Arma 3. The giant power brick stays cool, tho.

Attached: detective.webm (720x404, 1.6M)

GS63VR was a pretty legit choice, I don't know if they still offer the SKU I got but performance pretty much parallels my desktop's (970, 16GB, 6700), even after throttling, slightly worse, but close enough.

Get with the times, grandpa

>microcenter.com/product/486481/1510_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

I have the 1710, and I have to say it is pretty good. Considering the price and what you get, it works great. I've been using it a lot for VR runs and whatnot.

Dell inspiron with 1060. Last time i checked it was 1000 bucks.

Anybody have any experience with the Omen X?

I've been using a thicc MSI for years before getting a P670RS-G. Going down from 4kg to 3.2 is noticable.

Just unironically ordered a 17" Alienware, 7820HK, GTX 1080 and 120Hz 1440p display. Hopefully it works out, figured it couldn't be worse than spending slightly more on replacing my crapbook pro with one of the new ones that will just throttle itself to death and can't perform any proper computing. Plus now I get to play games while traveling abroad on business.

I have a Dell inspiron 7000 gaming laptop and it's pretty comfy. I haven't had any overheating problems. Dell is a wizard with their cooling.

>that hinge
Pls no even hp ditched it