Teach me how to solder please

Teach me how to solder please...

I want to learn how to repair motherboards and stuff

Attached: SKU131408.3.jpg (600x600, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vIT4ra6Mo0s
youtu.be/VxMV6wGS3NY
youtube.com/watch?v=5uiroWBkdFY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sparkfun?

youtube.com/watch?v=vIT4ra6Mo0s

install gentoo

Attached: 1521699127120.jpg (900x542, 83K)

Attached: 1345750232218.png (320x320, 36K)

it's basically a really hot pen

How on earth would you smell it before noticing that your skin is melting off?

too lazy to look up videos on youtube, eh?
if you hold it like that chances are you already have some kind of brain damage which would mean that you don't feel a thing.

>put solder wire + soldering iron on the place you need soldered.
>hold for few seconds.

go to youtube and look for eevblog soldering

Attached: ArDre1.gif (320x180, 1.19M)

Look at tutorials online, really useful

>HE doesn't know how to solder
MEN are fucking useless nowadays!

dumb roastie

do it this way!

Attached: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz2001.jpg (632x960, 71K)

>has no idea how to solder
>wants to repair motherboards

how the fuck do you imagine "repairing motherboards" work?
At best you can solder maybe a capacitor or some broken IO connector

that's hardly "repairing"

If only there was a website that could pull up every instance of phrases like "how to solder" or "soldering basics".

Congenital analgesia.

Wow, this is a great fucking video. I've zero intention of soldering anything but watched it all.

this

Mine smells like pig, what does that mean?

broken
fix it
not repairing...

The soldering iron is really really hot, so it fries the dead skin instantly on contact and even the first layer of skin with nerves can get fried before they can send anything back.

Burnt my thumb today on my iron. Hardly felt a thing but definitely smelt it.

>add flux
>put soldering iron on the place you need soldered
>hold for a few seconds
>touch solder to the joint (not the iron) and feed it in as it melts
>take away solder
>take away iron one second later

>At best you can solder maybe a capacitor or some broken IO connector
If you have blown caps then replacing caps is repairing.

Of course its repairing you idiot, do you have to make your own chips for it to be repairing or what?

means you are american

An easy repair is still a repair, user. Though i agree that "teach me how to solder" implies a deep lack of the type of understanding that's required if you want to carry out more complex repairs.

Still, i've found that when a motherboard goes bad it's either a matter of replacing a few caps or it's such a headache that you're better off chucking it in the trash. I highly doubt you'd be able to find schematics for say a generic ASRock motherboard. The only reason ol' Louis is in business is because macfags will pay top dollar for their overpriced 2011 laptops.

This is by far the best video I've ever seen. I didn't know about 63/37 solder before this.

Attached: cats-in-glasses-1.jpg (500x334, 32K)

Is there any saving tips that just won't take a layer of solder worth a damn?

Any tips on getting the feed to actually stick to components instead of beading up?

I picked up a second hand home amp and someone somehow broke off a tip in the jack which I repaired.

Took a minute to get the solder to adhere because it wouldn’t adhere. But in videos the solder looks thick and sticky, not viscous at all.

In the end the jack was repaired.

>teach me how to use a wrench, I want to learn how to repair cars and stuff

There's a bit more to electronics repair than just soldering

see

Go watch EEVblog soldering tutorial on youtube and fuck off.

Adafruit and sparkfun both have tutorials. YouTube has some.

But really, this is a question for /diy/ Unlike here, they actually do those things.

Solder does not "stick". It's supposed to flow towards the heat source or else you'll end up with what's called a cold-joint. You're not glueing two metals together.

I can't believe they made this in the 80s. Why do they make shitty videos in 2018?

Never knew you could do that. What sorcery is this? I thought you're supposed to solder each pin individually.

Solder flows towards heat.
Flux removes oxidization on metals.
Do the math.

Sexy af

Attached: Screenshot_20180327-192150~01~01.png (800x733, 480K)

learn how to sodder from old radio by taking out the capacitors. thats how i learned. You don't need the best tool, but a good 40-50 price sodder does you good for a couple of years.

You literally don't even have to touch an iron for half a second and it will burn the fuck out of you and hurt for an entire day

Flux is magic, put tons on anything with pins and it will make it 10x easier especially for tiny ones

All it takes is a google search to get the definition of 'repair' user

Hey OP, google and youtube are your friends for this type of thing, especially on Sup Forums

Here's a great youtube video from GreatScott! It covers THT and SMD soldering, and should cover any beginner questions you may have.

youtu.be/VxMV6wGS3NY

Get a cheap shitty iron that doesn't get very hot and then you'll feel the pain before you seriously burn yourself.

Because all the retards on youtube try to copy off anyone who has views and emulate them, starting videos by whatsup guys, patron, subscribe to monthly razors, don't forget to subscribe and thumbs up etc. Air headed fuckers.

Attached: 1516821086385.jpg (225x225, 9K)

Is it pronounced solder or sodder?

thank you for sharing this video

The later

Iron in one hand, pliers holding the trimmed wire you need to use in the other.

Spit on solder you need to cool down.

Not much more to it.

The word solder is pronounced "solder". Anyone using the pronunciation "sodder" should be tarred and feathered.

Flux and gull wing tip.

it's sodder

not hot enough

I recently bought that shit (chinkshit).
And it recently exploded too.

Yeah, this iron is shit. But it is a copy of Goot or Hakko, and originals are pretty usable.

because the government doesn't fund youtube video productions

>What sorcery is this?
Surface tension.
Same thing that happens to oil on a teflon pan.
The trick is that solder only "sticks" to a hot metal (like copper) or other solder. But you have to be careful because bare copper oxidizes especially fast when it's hot and that thin layer of copper oxide prevents solder from bonding with it. You can get rid of it by applying flux. In general you have to keep your joints clean from all sort of gunk and e.g. grease from your hands for a successful joint.
>I thought you're supposed to solder each pin individually
Actually, using a bulky iron tip is better because it has a better heat capacity and depending on its shape it can have a better heat transfer (the more surface that touches the element you want to transfer heat to the better). And you can solder multiple pins at the same time with it, because surface tension does all the magic.

SMD soldering is easier and faster than THT desu. And it requires the same tools. The problem with it and why hobbyists avoid it is with desoldering, which requires another set of tools (mainly a hot air station). But nowadays that's not really an excuse because they're cheap af and a hot air gun is a handy tool to have in your shed.

>how the fuck do you imagine "repairing motherboards" work?
It's a more braindead activity than you might think.
In 90% of cases it's:
>spray everything with cold freeze or alcohol
>hook up the mobo to a 10A power supply
>watch which chips evaporate the fastest (or blow up, even better)
>remove the old chips, solder in new ones
>rinse and repeat until nothing fries

Almost all repair businesses work on a pareto principle: 95% of of fixes are just a few common problems for which there is an easy solution, if there's something unusual which might take too much of their time they declare it fubar and life goes on.
Sure, they could do e.g. multilayer pcb restoration for a fried pcb, but that's almost never economically feasible.

>soldering a jack
Here's your problem.
I'm guessing its connected to a big fucking copper plane which sucks up all your heat and there's no thermal relief for it (picrel).
Soldering things like that is often shitty for this reason, and you either need a good iron which doesn't drop the tip temperature too much when applied to a large heat receiver and is able to keep up, or use a bigger tip and turn up your temperature and hope to not overheat anything.
You can actually scrap the copper yourself from around the pad with a dremel/utility knife/razor to make a ghetto thermal relief if you're crazy enough and your iron can't handle the job. It might be easier in case of e.g. a DC jack that is connected to a ground and a positive plane at the same time and you need to get rid of it.

Attached: Is-it-a-Relief-to-Use-Thermal-Relief-1-1442309558.jpg (398x400, 22K)

>someone somehow broke off a tip in the jack which I repaired.
Why did you use soldering for this? Just use a pin vice.

>soddering

started soldering last night and today did a little more for ESC and fixing a lipo (new balancer cord) it's really nice- cost me about $40 for everything this video is really informative

sawder

You can last a bit longer if you wet your hand first.

youtube.com/watch?v=5uiroWBkdFY i cannot believe nobody has posted this yet.This guy is good. Helped me get better at not fucking up surface mount stuff.

How much money did you spend making an image to reinforce a dead meme?

You need massive knowledge in electrical engineering in order to diagnose and repair a faulty motherboard.
From personal experience I can tell you it's at least several months of studying and researching.
For soldering, watch the posted Paceworld tutorials, they far outweigh EEVblog or some other cuck's techniques.

>You need massive knowledge in electrical engineering in order to diagnose and repair a faulty motherboard

Attached: szatania się śmieje bo wie że zrobiła coś złego.gif (500x491, 376K)

>rounded traces

Attached: 1522212960398.png (1366x1387, 2.21M)

>t. cellotapes capacitors on his mobo

>t. has never set a foot on the other side of a counter in a computer service

Solderen

>massive knowledge
>a few months

Attached: 29E3F83B-3038-4505-95FB-627AEFDB491D-20675-000023A25A230383.jpg (225x225, 13K)

In my opinion you can't call yourself a man if you can't solder. Just like you can't call ypurself human if you're a lardass. Some things just don't go together bro
Practice and keep practicing until you can solder wires to the pins of a memory card reader or something, that's what I did.

Good stuff mate.

here in the civilised world, it's solder.