/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=1moRfIXCfak

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Attached: sbgj217.jpg (1600x1066, 186K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/P4oQdt94p-8
thewatchspotblog.com
amazon.com/Seiko-SNK361-Automatic-Stainless-Steel/dp/B003XGQMRI
amazon.de/Seiko-Herren-Armbanduhr-Analog-Quarz-braun/dp/B00W7CM2HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522156663&sr=8-1&keywords=Seiko Sapphire Herrenuhr SGEG97P1
amazon.de/Seiko-SUP863P1-Herren-Armbanduhr/dp/B074ZD9ZVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522156901&sr=8-1&keywords=SUP863P1
watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder/
amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B004YDLF3A/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1522157605&sr=8-2-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=seiko+snk361&th=1&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for DAINI egg timers

Attached: 20180326_215309.webm (1080x1920, 2.47M)

Rate my new piece /wt/

Attached: IMG-20180325-WA0014.jpg (2340x4160, 1.01M)

Does it come with a flux capacitor?

Daini Seikosha = best Seikosha.

Attached: ml_5565616.jpg (1280x854, 443K)

Let me guess, that GS is 40mm+

39.5 iirc

Daini was 'king seiko', and Suwa was 'grand seiko', right?

Costs extra, couldn't afford it

Yes. Suwa roughly became Epson and Daini roughly became Seiko Instrument. I think Seiko Instrument holds most of the watch manufacturing today but Epson does parts of it as well and also owns Orient. So Daini ended up winning and Suwa was turned into a Chinese printer company.

So Daini won, but Suwa's 'grand seiko' naming stuck while Daini's 'king seiko' disappeared?

Are the LED's on all the time?!

When will the black bay 58 get to stores? I’m eager.

No, they come on for 10 seconds when you press the button. It was actually a little bit tricky to take that photo.

Does the ~15mm thickness of the normal black bay bother you or is it just the large slab sides??

August.

Cool thanks bro. Looks so nice and slim.

Did somebody say King Seiko?

Attached: 20180326_225020-1.jpg (1800x2706, 620K)

Well, it's meant to be July but more like august. Thing is, with all the buzz you'll probably have to get one lined up now.

Daini was the better mechanical movement designer and had the more austere interpretation of the grammar of design styling language, but Suwa was more successful at marketing and the Grand Seiko name ended up with more cachet, hence being chosen to be the top branding for Seiko in the late 1960s and being the name resurrected in 1998.

Suwa transitioned almost completely to quartz and later to spring drive production so that today the quartz and spring drive GS models are still made largely by Seiko Epson, which is what Suwa changed its name to.

On the other hand, the mechanical GS models are still made by the total autists at Daini, and this is why even the styling on 9S models is subtly different than the Suwa produced 9F and 9R models.

The new VFA is pure Daini anachronism as the movement is designed based largely on the exact same approach Daini would have and did use in the late 1960s and early 1970s to produce some of the most accurate mechanical wrist watches ever made. These new VFAs have a pretty good shot at being the most accurate regulated balance movements ever made. Ever. At any price. Because no other existant watchmaker would remotely consider trying to adjust regulated balance movements to these kinds of standards as it's orders or magnitude more skilled hand labor than a free sprung balance would require to achieve similar results.

Just got this from my brother for my bday today. Very nice from him since he knows I’m getting into the technical aspect of watchmaking. Anyone got any experience with it? Wish I could start building it now but I’m currently busy with finals. What do you think of it?

youtu.be/P4oQdt94p-8

Attached: 210CBB97-D25A-4A7D-80B8-260473209F9B.jpg (670x411, 247K)

BB38 when?

Attached: image.jpg (1100x733, 1.27M)

Omega Seamaster 300 or Tudor Black Bay? I know which one I’d pick but I’m curious as to what you guys would?

If the subdials on this had been at 3-6-9 with the logo at 12 it would've been my next purchase for a daily driver.
I fucking HATE this configuration.

>inb4 get the 910 Jubiläum
It's over 5k, 2k more than pic related.

Attached: Sinn-910-SRS-Watch-01.jpg (1440x955, 415K)

BB.
Omegas charge too much for the quality and lackluster QA. They think their heritage gives them the right to ask Rolex prices without any of the real effort.

What about a Speedmaster?

Black Bay 58

Too ubiquitous, and I have enough daily routines already without the daily winding.

Black Bay by a country mile.

Is this supposed to be a DIY kit containing just the ebauche?

>ask Rolex prices
wat. Omegas are cheaper than Tudors

I don't know if Dutch user with the KS he wants servicing still needs a recommendation but after having my 6139 back from a service for nearly 2 weeks I can finally comment. I've nothing bad to say, it's running great (averaging around -10spd) and the power reserve is over 40 hours with the chronograph constantly running.

The details of the guy who did it for me in the UK can be found at his blog thewatchspotblog.com which also highlights some of the more interesting pieces he's worked on. He's very professional and should reply pretty quickly to any enquiries.

Attached: IMG_20180327_131200_1.jpg (2871x3785, 2.23M)

Interesting. Can I have your reasoning? I really like the Omega, but I’m a Bondfag.

Sending it back running - 10 SPD isn't great. Mechanicals should ideally be regulated slightly fast when freshly serviced as they tend to slow down a bit after a few months.

Seamaster. I love the retro looks.
Better still the newest railmaster! Unless I can have the Spectre which I find to be one of the best looking watch of recent times.

Attached: image.jpg (800x1100, 420K)

Tudor has better external finishing and their in-house movement is excellent, between the two Tudor provides a much better value proposition than the Omega.

They’re really not.

To add, the only reason Sinn used this 6-9-12 subdial configuration, is to differentiate it from the more expensive Jubiläum version which has the 3-6-9 subdial config.
This is the same reasoning used by Breitling; they make cheaper versions of the Navitimer with that same 6-9-12 configuration.

In other words: the ONLY thing that 6-9-12 subdial configuration represents is cheapness.

God fucking shit.

Attached: 1451436804875.jpg (594x452, 42K)

>SeaMaster 300
>Cheaper than BB
Ok bb

For an idea, the brand new, and hawt as fuck BB58 is £2500, or £2350 with a leather strap.

Attached: 18125f1d3e1ef3a7fcaead2f9d06019b[1].png (1556x769, 412K)

That's half the price of a sub

It's better that way if there's a date window. Logo next to day window looks okay while stuffing a subdial on top of date window looks hideous.

>£4320
>Half of £6000
Ok?

The 3-6-9 Navitimers have a date window. It works perfectly.

Not a fan of date windows betweek 3 and 4 but those panda navitimers do pull it off nicely with symmetrical subdials.

>Not a fan of date windows betweek 3 and 4
I love them.
They pretty much disappear when you're not looking for the date, and they allow for the full range of indices.

Just won a bid on pic related for about $75

Attached: 7A07-0010-Stopwatch-eBay-Feb2015-1.jpg (1024x946, 177K)

nice clock, achmed

This is way nicer than the seamaster. Slightly smaller at 40mm as well.

Attached: image.jpg (2000x1333, 937K)

please keep the threads updated with your progress this looks interesting

Just get a Rolex OP 39. They just made new ones with a black dial

Not sure how I feel about those hands. Would maybe want Dauphine and a leather strap.

I would but they’re literally double the price. I’d get an explorer if I were getting a Rolex.

Attached: image.jpg (1500x1001, 751K)

A parts donor arrived. Shame it's so fucked up else I'd restore it, the dial is stained and the movement has moderate water damage.

It's a Suwa 6106-7000 DX from 1967. I can't even cannibalize it right now since as it turns out it's a 6106A and I need parts from a B or C.

Attached: IMG_20180327_144239_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.11M)

Also pupper.

Attached: IMG_20180326_163156_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 1.8M)

This.
Plus I prefer the size of the BB 58.

The case may not be a lost cause, doesn't seem too bad for a "custom" job for a beater.
But yeh, that dial has seen better days.

What are the main differences between the datejust and the oyster perpetual? Apart from the date of course.
I’m new money so I’m new to all this.

I bought the duck

So just to confirm, does /wt/ unanimously hate my Christopher Ward?

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1661, 2.02M)

The date, also the just.

Here with daddy, a mixed german shepherd. Little shithead likes climbing fences so he did a bad thing to a pure golden retriever girl.

Dogs are technology, and horology.

Most of what you see in the pic is just the crystal, so it wouldn't be bad if it weren't for that stain at the 5 o'clock indice, which I'm 99% certain is unfixable, like most dial stains. Also I already have two worthless 6106's, two F-91W's, two Amphibias and a G-Shock, do I really need a third 6106 as a "beater"?

Attached: IMG_20180326_165217_HDR.jpg (3264x2448, 2.14M)

I don't, but then I am a past owner of a C60 myself. I sold it to help fund my Nomos.

Attached: IMG_20171022_104827_677.jpg (1620x1620, 812K)

Inb4 knife fork and spoon hands

Attached: image.jpg (618x412, 129K)

wtf these are illegal!

I like them. I like the red bezel better, but at least you got the old logo

German poorfag here. so I want to get a halfway decent dress watch (black leather band) at a price range of 100-200€ (I know, it's almost no budget at all) but don't really know what kind of brand I should get except for Seiko and Citizen. The Seiko watches that I have seen so far have looked pretty unsatisfying. any Euroanons with tips?
I have to mention that I don't want to get a watch online so it would be great if anyone had some mainstream watch tips for me

I only like the vintage version because it doesnt have the wavy dial. Can’t stand the wavy dial.

get a Seiko
there's so many I doub't you've looked very hard

or an Orient
the Bambino is nice
otherwise maybe a Russian shitter
you're not going to find anything passable from Europe for that price

amazon.com/Seiko-SNK361-Automatic-Stainless-Steel/dp/B003XGQMRI
This and a leather band.

Just the date, really.

I kind of like it, it's the best watch I've seen from that brand. Seems like an overgrown microbrand, though.

And they're pretty shit at the logotype thing, first the stupid ChrWard L O N D O N one and now what the fuck are they thinking with the helvetica font shit straight out of AliExpress.

the watch looks great but I am looking for a watch with a leather band unfortunately.

I have only found these in local shops
amazon.de/Seiko-Herren-Armbanduhr-Analog-Quarz-braun/dp/B00W7CM2HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522156663&sr=8-1&keywords=Seiko Sapphire Herrenuhr SGEG97P1
amazon.de/Seiko-SUP863P1-Herren-Armbanduhr/dp/B074ZD9ZVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522156901&sr=8-1&keywords=SUP863P1
kinda scared to get a watch from Amazon to be honest as there's no guarantee that it's not a fake. heard a lot of negative things from reviewers so I'm very cautious about that

just buy a leather band and stick it on

This
Here it is on leather.

Attached: 571DDDBA-07AD-48C1-9324-0D4A6FE95FED.jpg (2496x3649, 2.58M)

I can't even think of any European brands in that range that aren't complete trash or just ugly and quartz

my bad, missed the "and a leather band" part of your post. can't find the watch in any german online shops though (amazon doesn't offer them either). is there a newer model?

>NATO strap
Why am I not surprised

there's a million Seiko 5 variants
check some other shops in a wider area or on ebay

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Had nothing but shitty comments when I posted it in the past.

I think Chris ward is still a microbrand. And less their logos are awful.

Good morning wt

Attached: 20180327_093157-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.36M)

that looks pretty nice. definitely can't find that model though. I only see SNZG13K1, SNXS77, and SNKK87K1

Morning. It might interest you to know that there are some rumors floating around of Grand Seiko doing a steel VFA next year to mark the 50th anniversary of the original, so the VFA movement might not end up getting limited to the 50 platinum examples.

That's interesting, thanks. Believe the Platinum vfa is limited to twenty?

I'm trying to get down to Seiko NYC but haven't had a chance.

You forgot their first logo, the w inside a C.

Attached: download.jpg (400x263, 16K)

The quality looks fine for the price but something about the proportions and design just doesn't look right to me.

Italian poorfag here.
>the watch looks great but I am looking for a watch with a leather band unfortunately.
It isn't very hard nor expensive to buy a new one and ask a local watchmaker to put it on the watch. You could even do it by yourself with the right tool.
>The Seiko watches that I have seen so far have looked pretty unsatisfying
watchsleuth.com/seiko5finder/
> I don't want to get a watch online
If you get it on Amazon without external sellers you'll be fine and you will get a better deal.
Also, if quartz is an option there are some Casio dress watches that look fine, like pic related.

Attached: Casio MTP-V005L-1A.jpg (450x450, 26K)

Hey guys this is my girlfriend, I need to watch the matches hers to wear for a CNN interview I have tonight , I’m a crisis actor and I pretend to be a person that was shot in the schools and I’m going to tell everybody that I need their guns and take them away also I’m a lesbian video to see pictures of my feet?

Attached: 6CBBF36B-2034-4C2E-8A9E-29D52F129EE4.jpg (480x360, 46K)

.........sgsgsgsg
.....sgsgsgsgsgsg
...gsgsgsgsgsgsgsg
gsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgs
gsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgsgs
...gsgsgsgsgsgsgsg
.....sgsgsgsgsgsg
...........gsgsgsg

Thanks. This one is a little different but you might like it.
amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B004YDLF3A/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1522157605&sr=8-2-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=seiko+snk361&th=1&psc=1
There are tons of Seiko 5s out there though.

>girl
nohips.jpg
pls m8 you are not fooling anyone

You're right, it's 20, not 50. Assuming they do a steel version next year they are probably going to have to charge double what they do for a normal hi-beat when you consider the additional hand adjustment labour and extra 18 days of testing. I wonder how much of a market there really is for a $10k+ steel VFA.

Attached: mtp-1183e-7adf_02_18.jpg (650x488, 68K)

Post moar pics of feet plox

Attached: C1D90AD3-7C9D-4930-AC80-B1F5E0A2FC59.jpg (1350x1800, 739K)

>It isn't very hard nor expensive to buy a new one and ask a local watchmaker to put it on the watch. You could even do it by yourself with the right tool
not even joking. for some stupid reason, I actually thought watches with steel wristbands weren't able to carry leather wristbands

>If you get it on Amazon without external sellers you'll be fine and you will get a better deal
that would actually be the only way that I'd consider using Amazon, yeah
>Also, if quartz is an option there are some Casio dress watches that look fine, like pic related
I'm not really into the entire watch hobby thing so quartz is definitely an option. I still don't know the proper pros and cons when it comes to the different types (solar, quartz, automatic, etc)

I actually think the dial pattern looks amazing on the blue dial of the steel version, but I get that it's pretty polarizing.

Attached: seiko_H.jpg (3000x1688, 422K)

why are the 5-series watches so cheap though? is there any reasoning behind that? all the regular seiko dress watches I found are at least 30-50 bucks more expensive

urwerk ur 210 amadeus

Attached: Urwerk-UR-210-Amadeus-1.jpg (1600x1067, 129K)

>why are the 5-series watches so cheap though?
Because the Seiko 5 line is aimed at third world buyers and is value engineered to be as cheap as possible to make while not being total garbage.

Just wish they used some geometric shape instead.. also i still can't get over this dial.

Attached: grand-seiko-hi-beat-gmt-limited-edition-sbgj005-8.jpg (600x486, 90K)

They aren’t hacking or self winding.

The white/silver version of that dial looks pretty amazing in person.

eh 3rd worlders, kids, scrubs, and basically anyone who wants a cheap as piss mechanical that wont break during a brisk walk or if it rains