Programming language love/hate lists (give me yours)

Languages I love:

C: Very powerful, but elegant at the same time. You can do pretty much anything with it, but it's still fairly readable.

Common Lisp: There's something to be said for a consistent syntax, and no language's syntax is more consistent and elegant than that of Lisp. Add in some lambda expressions, higher-order functions, and reader macros, and you have a masterpiece of language design.

Fortran: I like anything retro, and as far as programming languages go, this is about as retro as you can get.

Javascript: I can have endless fun playing around with it. All the neat things it can do with a minimal amount of code makes it the perfect tool for the impatient.

PHP: See Javascript.

Ruby: It's consistent in its object-oriented approach and also has several neat functional features that are integral to the language.

sed, awk, troff, dc, make, etc.: The so-called "little languages" of Unix are quirky and unique, which makes them fascinating for us true geeks who like novelty.

TeX: Seriously, what's not to love about this language?

Languages I hate:

C++: C + bloat. Seriously, I have never seen anything quite so hideous as code written in C++.

Java: Forces you to use classes for literally everything, even things that are not even remotely object-oriented in nature, which tends to make certain programs intolerably tedious to write.

Perl: Combines features of several different languages, but not in an elegant way. Instead, Perl code tends to look like a confused mess of sed, awk, C code, and shell scripts haphazardly pasted together in the same file.

Languages I have a love-hate relationship with:

CSS: When it works, it results in beautifully formatted web pages. When it doesn't, it's frustrating as hell because it's nearly impossible to figure out why.

Attached: PLchart.png (2520x1554, 548K)

bumpsies!

>C++
>possibly the most commen language today

Attached: FullSizeRender_1.jpg (305x231, 21K)

Pretty sure Python is more common.

among brainlets

Attached: 1518401476306.png (1010x610, 31K)

I have to learn Prolog for CS class and I thought it was about logic, not natural language processing and certainly not about AI.

looks so wrong.

I would agree. C++ has been my favourite language for a while

But the syntax of C++ and Java is very similar so they should be equal in the fun for humies axis

>liking JavaScript
This needs to be a bannable offense, these people have no knowledge of anything about computers.

Pajeet: the post

class printing_thing : public printing_thing_paragon{
public static void print_hello() {
try{
java.system.os.util.console.output.charstream.unicode8.printfun.print_with_new_line((new String("Hello")).convert_u8().get().unbox());
} catch {
///....
}
}
}

cout

#include
using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout

>Delivers new functionality: Java
>new functionality
>Java

Attached: 6R1FFdM.gif (1920x1070, 2.26M)

Java is 100x faster than JS, Ruby, Python, and Perl. Java, because of its popularity, is one of the fastest languages currently.

What's the fastest interpreted language? Lua, maybe? JS, with all the money spent on V8 and co?

I love love love C++, OMG templates are so awesome, like why hasnt everyone discovered generics??? When are the Golang brainletts going to give in and add templates?

>java is 100x faster
shit bait, you must be 18 to post on Sup Forums

>Internet C++
wat

This, fuck Python.

>Javascript: I can have endless fun playing around with it. All the neat things it can do with a minimal amount of code makes it the perfect tool for the impatient.
>PHP: See Javascript.

>Perl: Combines features of several different languages, but not in an elegant way.

this is how i know you're a retard. perl's much more elegant than either php or javascript

this, especially so for perl6. It may look "ugly" compared to python/ruby, but it's by far the most /comfy/ and powerful of the dynamic languages (lisps not included).

i haven't used perl6, just perl5, and from looking at perl6 i don't really think i want to switch. it might have cool new stuff but i guess i am set in the ways of perl5.
python3 was easier to upgrade from py2 since the changes were nowhere near as radical

I wish there were more threads about Unix's languages. Bourne shell is really awesome. ed and sed are awesome too. Even csh is fun, even though it's terrible.

Source:Your ass.
What the fuck does fun even mean. You like having fun with dildos, I don't. Since when is "fun" a parameter to compare programming languages with ?

>C++
>fun for humans
/cry
At least say it's expressive, not fun. It's the opposite of fun. The only feasible explanation to this is that the person who made this started C++ with all the modern tools active and has been very lucky with their development.

Love: none
Hate: all

NLP is easy to see: why do you think the language supports all those parsing constructs for mildly context-dependent languages?
By AI I believe they meant old-style, database-driven inference AI.

Uhh, yep. There's your mistake right there.

>lisp
>fortran
>javascript
>tex

Attached: derploma_guy.png (1440x1429, 1.29M)

Great list, OP.

Here's mine:

Love:

>Assembly
It's difficult and I'm not very good at it, but it's so much fun. The feeling when you created something that would take you 10 minutes in any other language..

>C
I used ot hate it, but when you look at if AFTER leraning assembly and Scheme, you realize that it's actually very powerfull and minimalisitc in a good way.

>Ruby
Just like C is a big macro system for Assembly, Ruby is a big macro system for C. It's super consistent and if you know 50% of Ruby you can already guess the other half, since it's very consistent. Also great features from many other cool languages.

>Scheme
Also simple but powerfull. I never realized how geat polish notation is until plaing wiht scheme.

>SQL
The best way to work with data, hands down.

Dislike:

>Java
I've done a lot of Java and I really really think they messed up a lot of fundamental things. Programming in Java always feels like trying to eat chocolate with a fork and gloves on. It works, but it's no fun at all..

>Python
I know this is so clichee, but when you have worked with Ruby for a while you start to realize how clumsy Python often is. Also it's to much centered about functions, it looks way too much like pascal.

>CSS
Some great ideas, but unfortunately you need often a lot of libraries to make simple stuff work (i.e. flexboxes). CSS makes some things super easy and other things very hard and it's often not clear why.

>Go
--> If Err != Nil
--> no, we have no map/reduce, that's DARK MAGIC!
--> let's forget about generics!

I'll rank them in order of most liked to least liked in terms of languages I've actually used.

>C
Minimalist, elegant, powerful. No cruft at all, immensely practical and portable. The only thing I don't like is array semantics, but that's acceptable.
>Scheme.
The C of Lisps. Pure and clean, lacking any unnecessary bloat.
>C++
...but only if I'm writing it myself. It's absurdly complex and most C++ programmers are absolute shitheads who produce utter garbage code. But occasionally there's a C++ feature that meets a need a C program can't fulfill, and it becomes worthwhile adding a little C++ to the mix. I don't hate it but I wouldn't want to use it outside of a personal project and it's important to keep things orthodox.
>Java
It just works. It's tedious and dull and boring, but it's consistently obvious what's going on. I can tolerate it, but only if I'm not using it on a personal project.
>Kotlin, Scala, C#, other nu-OOP langs.
Collectively they do for Java what C++ did for C. C++ has some utility at least - these do nothing but pile on heaps of complexity.
>PHP, Javascript, Perl
The bottom of the barrel of garbage design. Weak typing was a mistake.

Anyone who claims to love C is either severely braindamaged or doesn't use it on a regular basis.

t. full time C programmer

Quality projection.

Attached: Perspective_transform_diagram.svg.png (800x630, 20K)

Hate with the force of a thousand suns: Objective-C.

@[]

Syntax-wise, it is horrible. But conceptual, it's a far better (and truer) OOP implementation than Java and C++.

Go back to Smalltalk you True OOP™ purist.

I prefer the first language I learned, Simula-67 tbqh.

>like
C#
Ada
Lisp
Wirthian languages
ML languages
Rarely use any other than for fun, but I like em is all
>Hate
JavaScript
Java
C++
Bash

>Love/hate
C - it's ubiquitous and powerful, but has some annoying aspects and undefined behaviours
Python - it's plebeian but I know the libraries well so I use it out of laziness

Nice list. Skim through a delphi and haskell book when you have a chance. You'll probably like them.