What's some patrician music listened to by mostly women? What are some excellent albums men tend to gloss over...

What's some patrician music listened to by mostly women? What are some excellent albums men tend to gloss over? I'd love to hear from other femanons. Just a fun idea for a thread. Pic related maybe?

>inb4 womemes don't patrician

Annie - Anniemal

This is a good idea for a thread, I've been thinking recently if there's an opposite to a group like Autechre, who are really good but primarily listened to by very male brains.

I kind of think Sleater-Kinney would be like the female equivalent of a band like pavement or weezer or something. Most people on mu don't seem to rate them very highly despite them being just as good, if not better than many other revered indie rock bands.

On the electronic end of things, does Holly Herndon have mostly female fans?

It's possible. I thought her stuff was kind of boring, but maybe that's because I'm looking at it from the perspective of Autechre fan who wants minutia and detail as well as big wubs. It's fairly likely that her stuff isn't for people like me.

What about Katie Dey? She doesn't have much music out (just a short album and a single or two) but she makes really cool music.

molly nilsson - these things take time

Not user, but I dont think Herndon's music is even interesting on an acedemic level (which is basically where she's coming from). I think if she went a bit further out there, rather than just making ideosyncratic, poppy techno, she would have the potential to make some interesting shit. But as it stands, I find her music to be tepid and lame.

Sleater-Kinney are excellent.

Lots of people on Sup Forums specifically ignore loads of music, loads of funk and soul and dance for example.

It's almost like women can enjoy the same albums as men for reasons other than sharing the genitalia of the artist.

I don't necessarily find her music super interesting either, but I don't speak for all women. I was just wondering if she had more female fans because I've seen her album disliked by the male majority of mu, but acclaimed elsewhere.

going off the top of my head, I can think of Cat Power, Peaches, Kate Bush, Sleater-Kinney, Tori Amos, Fiona Apple as you stated, maybe artists like India.Arie or Erykah Badu? Granted, a lot of gay men also listen to those artists. I hope that might help

Of course we can! But the same way some albums seem to have a majority male fan base, I was wondering what kind of "patrician" albums have a mostly female fanbase, for whatever reason.

Oh, also, I didn't necessarily mean female artists only. I meant artists with a majority female fanbase. A lot of those might tend to be female artists, but I don't see why they have to be.

I dunno, obviously this is pure speculation, but I do wonder how much of her critical acclaim is based on he fact that she's a female.

She is an accomplished artist, and she would certainly receive a level of recognition, but there's a tendency among critics to indulge in hyperbole when assessing a woman's work (especially if she has some genuine artistic integrity).

idk, I feel like every time a woman gets any kind of acclaim someone says "oh, it's because she's a girl" I can think of way more mediocre male artists who get constant acclaim and no one ever says it's because of their gender.

You might be right. At the same time, there are simply more male artists, and so you're more likely to find an abundance of overrated men.

I think it's even worse with film.

>womyn on Sup Forums
why is this allowed
>>>/tumblr/

>this is why you can't get a gf

>implying I want one
My loneliness has turned into healthy fatalism at this point.

I don't really know of any artists who cater more towards one gender. My guesses for what you're looking for are

Of Montreal
Laurel Halo
Bjork (50/50 probably)
Tegan and Sara
The Coathangers
Angel Olson
Belle and Sebastian
Sufjan (All the people I know who like him are girls)
St. Vincent
Grimes
Janelle Monae
Lianne la Havas
Crystal Castles
Florence + the Machine
Sky Ferreira
Haim
Purity Ring
Tune-yards
Dirty Projectors
FKA twigs
Courtney Barnett
Feist

Not sure if "patrician" but those are more geared towards female audiences.

Totally forgot about feist until seeing your list.

Her first album kicks ass! Gonna put that shit on right now

>Laurel Halo
>Dirty Projectors

>bigger female audience

Hmmm...

Bigger % female audience than the average band.

It's a funny thing, if I meet a girl who's into obscure music that's especially unusual for a female, she's about 90% more likely to have some serious psychological problems.

A lot of really good modern folk is made by women

That's probably true for both genders

>true for both genders
From my experience, it applies to females much more often. For men, there's just a higher probability they'll be a pretentious douche.

Janelle Monae is a good one. I don't know any men personally who like her music (though I do know lots of women who do) and it's pretty fantastic across the board.

I was born with a penis and identify as male and I love this album 2 death bby.