Prepare for the HDD shortage anons

Many of us anons know how bad the GPU shortage is because of cryptofags. Now, there is a new form of crypto started by BurstCoin that uses hard drives to mine now. It will be too much for me to take if 1 TB ends up costing a fortune. Prepare for the upcoming HDD shortage...

Attached: miningcryptowithhdd.png (893x560, 381K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UPjxzkqiglw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Feel like burstcoin is a scam to increase HDD prices.

NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I fucking hate /biz/ for this. I'm glad none of them got rich from this

Dude.... I was fucking around with this in like June 2017.

It was barely popular then and is barely popular now.

You need at least 50 TB to see even a decent return. With crypto alts crashing I doubt it’s even lucrative.

Also, one of the burst coin forums is run by some butthurt Austist who dox people he hates and now the community is divided.

It’s a shitshow going nowhere.

This. Wouldn't be surprised if WD, Seagate, HGST etc were the ones behind it since AMD and Nvidia seem to be rolling in green from GPU-based cryptocurrency.
SSDs would probably be safe since all the write operations would destroy them within weeks.

>ssds will be safe
True, but I still prefer HDDs for long term storage. I only ever use my SSD to boot up Windows.

HDDs are good for storage of sequential data that can easily be replaced. If you wanted lon term storage you'd use tape.

>tfw my useless old hard drives will end up selling for thousands

Attached: feelsgood.png (417x460, 234K)

Tape is still a thing? All I ever hear now is SSDs, HDDs, and the scam known as SSHDs. How are those sold and are there worth it?

This isn’t anything new. Nothing is happening

LTO is still alive and kicking. A 1.5TB LTO-5 tape can be had for $20 but the drives cost around $500 to $600 used. If you're serious about backup it's a pretty good investment especially if the data you've got goes beyond the capacity of a single USB hard drive.

I prefer stone plates. Those fuckers can store data over millenia. How can HDD and SSD fags even compete

Wow,almost as if (((someone))) is shilling memecoins in an elaborate ploy to jew autists into paying more for tangible resources(graphic cards,ram and hdds) in exchange for intangible ones(meme fucking coins). Almost as if someone WANTS the prices to rise higher and higher until you have to sacrifice your firstborn to Satan to get a new memory card

>new form of crypto
BurstCoin has been around since 2014 and it hasn't really amounted to much the FOUR years it's been around. The rewards for mining it are close to zero even if you have a ton of space.

That being said, I do see a real potential for various cryptocoins backed by storage. But it can't just be "proof of storage". Consider the concept of renting space with crypto, MEGA but distributed. You'd pay for renting space and "miners" (that description wouldn't really fit, though) with harddrives get payments for renting out space. This would work.

>". Consider the concept of renting space with crypto, MEGA but distributed.

So basically what MojoNation was doing back in 2000, but with a fully decentralized coin system, rather than a peppercoin like token system where lightweight tokens had could be exchanged for coins registered by the central authority?

MojoNation was interesting not just for the currency system, but because it was one of the first places torrent like systems showed up, with seeders compensated for seeding, and a freenet like distributed storage layer.

Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow were really ahead of their time.

tape is a big thing on the enterprise area

So back in August this dude got $100 in a month at the time with 115TB
youtu.be/UPjxzkqiglw
Who knows though maybe it'll rise

>$100 for 15TB of LTO
Can't believe I've never heard of this. So i know it's for storage and all but I'm assuming it's extremmly slow compared to HDD?

I can actually see the use for this though. Like imagine using hard drives mining burstcoin, to do something like seed IPFS websites.

Yep.

Attached: lto.jpg (768x432, 22K)

No

Proof of stake made proof of HDD obsolete.

It's retardedly slow. It's meant for cold storage.

The newer LTO drives are pretty okay for linear writes (as in, you piling on new backup objects or whatever).

They just have a business model where the cost of the tape drives is pretty substantial, and of course tape drive robots are getting REALLY expensive.

Either way, you're probably generally better off building your storage solution on top of HDD.

> especially if the data you've got goes beyond the capacity of a single USB hard drive
Not easily. $600 is something like 20-32TB of storage at this point (depending on whether you can get cheap HDD from USB drives in the USA), ~$700 gets you a reasonable enough server on top.

Meanwhile you're at $700-800 with 15TB storage according to your number; you'd have to employ a good bit more of that slow tape to "break even" - and then we're usually hitting data amounts like most people currently don't need backed up at home or interruptions / backup times / numbers of tape swaps that are not good enough for backing up the work network.

It'd be good if fnewer LTO drives and the bigger faster tapes were cheaper, but unfortunately no such luck.

Fuck /biz/

Attached: annoyedpepe.jpg (306x306, 20K)

sounds like an april fools

>2018
>HDD
SHIGGY