What the fuck nothing on the review and homework was on the exam!

Gabriel Gutierrez
Gabriel Gutierrez

tfw failed my first CS mid term

What the fuck nothing on the review and homework was on the exam!

Attached: wojak.png (29 KB, 633x758)

Hudson Rogers
Hudson Rogers

Like... Freshman CS course?
That shit is literally just "What is this C/C++ function and what does it do?"
How bad did you fail OP?

Cooper Clark
Cooper Clark

We are learning Java as our first language and an example question is pic related

Attached: example-question.png (214 KB, 837x451)

Robert Adams
Robert Adams

develop a static predicate
stopped reading there
I thought this was a CS class and not history of Shakesbeard or something

Jason Carter
Jason Carter

That's not hard user
If his CS courses are anything like mine, they teach this kind of shit until you hit upper division stuff. Couldn't test out though so I had to suffer through.

Caleb Williams
Caleb Williams

Your assignments shouldn't be on the exam. That's the material you have already been assessed on. A second assessment on it would merely be retarded.

You should be learning the alternative things that weren't included in your assignments?

Jack Jackson
Jack Jackson

take assignments practicing for exam
exam is completely different than practice
Too bad lol! Should have known and shouldve practiced alternative things :^)

Mason Clark
Mason Clark

The world needs Janitors too user. Just keep playing video games, its fine nothing to worry about.

Attached: 1517468037380.png (161 KB, 2400x2945)

Henry Nelson
Henry Nelson

Almost any class will tell you that most material will be assessed once. If you had an assignment that was graded, that material shouldn't be on the exam. Conversely, not all of the material in your class will have been in assignments.

It's not that hard to do the math.

David Garcia
David Garcia

I'm a senior dev and I have no idea what the FUCK a predicate is in terms of cs. I would need to look that up but I assume static method.

Blake Hill
Blake Hill

what the fuck is a predicate? Do they mean a method?

Austin Powell
Austin Powell

a predicate is logic theory terminology for a function that returns a boolean and they shouldn't be using it to teach retards CS1

the actual questions are pretty basic if you can decipher them though

Lincoln Roberts
Lincoln Roberts

Did you buy the programming starting kit?

Attached: 1522192800471.jpg (3.83 MB, 3036x4048)

Jaxon Jones
Jaxon Jones

Thank you

Attached: 1496206655914.gif (1.96 MB, 600x335)

Anthony Barnes
Anthony Barnes

My Java course was NOTHING like this, wew.

Attached: 1522274687320.png (118 KB, 299x421)

Leo Torres
Leo Torres

The fuck is this shit? Predicate? Already learning arrays in a beginner class?
Damn I'm glad my CS classes are brainlet tier.

Attached: 3493899.jpg (41 KB, 600x806)

Luis Gonzalez
Luis Gonzalez

Wtf

Jose Baker
Jose Baker

Link your cunt teacher this thread. This shit is ridiculous for an intro course and even the autists on Sup Forums think so which is surprising.

Bentley Ross
Bentley Ross

Not learning about arrays
Isn't that rather essential? I would think that lists of some sort would be fundamental for really getting a good understanding what loops and branches and whatnot are used for and how they work.

Josiah Cox
Josiah Cox

Haha what the fuck, my third CS course wasn't even like this.

Gabriel Butler
Gabriel Butler

Week One:
Hello world, Strings, string concatenations, printing strings
Week Two:
Integers, Booleans, arithmetic, branches
Week Three:
Real and floating point things, given a few real-world problems to solve, Introduction to Math.*, etc
Week Four:
Lists and Arrays

Would be about standard

Lucas Sullivan
Lucas Sullivan

Yeah I didn't either but I could infer that through context pretty easily.

Sebastian Powell
Sebastian Powell

omg what's a predicate?

Justin Walker
Justin Walker

Where the hell did you take Java? I learnt about arrays, 2d arrays and how to manipulate them in a Java course I took during high school

Camden Kelly
Camden Kelly

This thread made me realize most of Sup Forums went to shitty state universities or community colleges.

OP's question is totally in-line for a first year course at this time of year at a university with a competent CS department.

Brayden Thompson
Brayden Thompson

In the first half of my first course, we covered
Nearly all data types, structs, arrays, vectors, file io/data streams, branches and loops, arithmetic relational and boolean operators, some c libraries, string and vector methods, writing functions and method . . .

It felt like we were going slow at the time, but that is quite a bit.

Ian Nguyen
Ian Nguyen

Yeah wtf I don't even remember AP computer science much but I remember doing recursion and sorting multi-dimentional arrays the first semester.

Joshua Brooks
Joshua Brooks

OP what uni do you go to?

Adam Butler
Adam Butler

predicate
The other questions are fine, but what is a predicate?

Isaiah Morales
Isaiah Morales

Im a freshman at MSU Denver

Hunter Hall
Hunter Hall

Your assignments shouldn't be on the exam.
Then there's no reason to have an "exam" at all. Just keep handing out assignments.

Anthony Hall
Anthony Hall

P: X -> {true,false}

Nolan Ramirez
Nolan Ramirez

Who the fuck actually uses predicates?

Josiah Taylor
Josiah Taylor

""""cs"""" course
focuses on programming minutiae

College CS programs are a scam

Bentley Hughes
Bentley Hughes

The assignments are there to assess your knowledge of parts of the course material.
If you've already been assessed on it, assessing the same material is fucking retarded. Literally something done only by brainlet lower tier """academic institutions"""

Carson Davis
Carson Davis

How do you not know what a predicate is?

Attached: predicate.png (153 KB, 844x884)

Henry Butler
Henry Butler

Maybe because it doesn't really matter.

Samuel Price
Samuel Price

MSU
What a coincidence I go to MSU.
...Missouri State University.

Thomas Flores
Thomas Flores

You know, you can always choose an easier degree, sweetie.

It literally tells you what to do

Attached: 1518139650633.png (162 KB, 657x539)

Sebastian Robinson
Sebastian Robinson

If you've already been assessed on it, assessing the same material is fucking retarded.
I don't think you understood me. Just get rid of exams completely. Just move through the course, at a normal pace, and only grade assignments. No exams. Cover everything you want the students to learn, and avoid ambushing them on "exams". Just do nothing but assignments. Seems the fair thing to do.

Christian Walker
Christian Walker

Dude, I'm sorry, this is highschool level CS now. The kids graduating highschool these next 5 years are going to blow you stupid fucks out of the water.

Brandon Davis
Brandon Davis

Exams are there for time pressure and seeing what you know in a time sensitive situation. they shouldn't be as much of the grade as internal (66/33 split is fine), and they can be replaced entirely just with in class tests as assessment items, which is what most 300/400 level papers do in my country.

They're also important in 100/200 level papers because the cheating chinks haven't been filtered out yet. Exams provide a good way of doing that.

Landon Russell
Landon Russell

this, gl

Parker Ward
Parker Ward

cheating
i hadn't considered the cheaters. I hate cheaters!

David Garcia
David Garcia

muh math terminology jerk off in a Java intro course
fuck off, literally nobody calls it that in the real world

Daniel Hall
Daniel Hall

Can confirm this is mandatory to be a good programmer

Isaiah Robinson
Isaiah Robinson

fuck off, literally nobody calls it that in the real world
Except for everyone because there's no other sensible word for that
java.util.function.Predicate<T>
System.Predicate<T>

Adrian Collins
Adrian Collins

My intro cs course did arrays wtf are you in a nigger college or something?

Robert Rodriguez
Robert Rodriguez

if this isn't bait then Jesus fucking Christ

Attached: IMG-20180223-224341.jpg (2 KB, 101x51)

Robert White
Robert White

Nigga that's easy as fuck. We got this in our first semester. I'm in my third right now making android apps and shit. If you can't solve that then you should honestly pick a different career path.

Henry Jones
Henry Jones

every single professional programmer in the world who uses filter in map/filter/reduce

that's extremely easy, but i can forgive not knowing what the fuck its saying because worded by a brainlet trying to flex his knowledge

the first function is 4 lines long max (its a for loop) and the second function is also 4 lines long (its also a for loop)

Logan Russell
Logan Russell

Are people memeing? Other than the predicate shit, which is just a fancy way to say method returning a boolean as far as I can tell from the context, this sounds pretty standard. Just be thankful you're not doing that shit in C and needing to worry about memory like I had to fucking do in first year.

Nathaniel Allen
Nathaniel Allen

Sounds like you're a brainlet with reading comprehension problems, OP.
Sure, your teacher could have used smaller words/ shorter sentences, but then it wouldn't have weeded out the non native speakers in the class.

Justin Adams
Justin Adams

Some doesn't know how to use commas.

Jason Ramirez
Jason Ramirez

I know what a predicate is through Lisp, but I assume it must have been explained in OP's course.
Other than that, why is everyone pretending that these questions are difficult? The most difficult question is finding the max from an array of integers, that is standard first semester stuff.

Grayson Jenkins
Grayson Jenkins

Top kek Kys. We had tougher stuff on first semester in c and cpp

John Miller
John Miller

All stuff I could do after a week of self-taught C.

Aaron Ward
Aaron Ward

He doesn't realize exams are based around his problem solving/critical thinking skills
Prepare to fail your course OP

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit