Boeing hit by WannaCry Ransomware Attack

>the virus could hit equipment used in functional tests of airplanes ready to roll out and potentially “spread to airplane software.”
zerohedge.com/news/2018-03-28/boeing-rapidly-plays-down-hysteria-after-wannacry-ransomware-attack

Is it an anomaly or is WannaCry back?

Attached: 022d267b92d2219f9b2395f5bf3bf7da.jpg (480x360, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2015/05/feds-say-banned-researcher-commandeered-plane/?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

yeah because aircraft software is connected to the internet and runs windows XP

Attached: 1487134400650.png (490x708, 314K)

That's not why I got curious. WannaCry spread like wildfire around this time last year. I thought it was.. dead. So this sounds like either a new variant or some odd anomaly of some sort.

that reporting ain't great - blaming china for wannacry and naming all viruses wannacry/10

>ZeroHedge
LMAO

Boeing probably never installed security updates on a lot of the workstations on their assembly lines so they wouldn't have to worry about the systems getting screwed up during update which would've caused some downtime.

Updated versions of WannaCry removed the "phone home to check for killswitch signal" but still used the same vulnerabilities and malware payloads AFAIK

>Aerospace conglomerate which hires some of the most intelligent computer engineers in the world to work on US military grade equipment
Yawn

>windows
There's your problem

Well Boeing I heard is implementing seL4 for its avionics systems, so that shouldn't be affected.

>boeing uses windows to control their airplanes

A lot of Boeing aircraft still use floppy disk computers (which are traditionally used for mission critical tasks) so I'm not really concerned about it.

Hacking aircraft is a fast way to either:
- waking up to a flashbang at 4am or;
- a drone strike
depending on where you live

This. A state wouldn't do something so brazen and it's in everybody's interests to fuck up any non-state actors that start doing this kind of nonsense.

Since all manufacturing and testing stuff is still Windows XP at best - no wonder.
The problem is that airplanes don't run Windows, they run some proprietary RTOS. Trust me, you don't want a BSOD at 9100 km/30 000 ft, or even worse at take off/landing.

>I'm not really concerned about it.
You remember that researcher who hacked (and controlled) a plan via it's infotainment systems

wired.com/2015/05/feds-say-banned-researcher-commandeered-plane/?

No I don't remember him, which leads me to believe that if someone did it maliciously- I don't think anyone would remember them either
>if you know what I mean

Aircrafts don't run Windows, they run VxWorks or LynxOS, or any other type or RTOS.
And even modern aircrafts still use floppy disks for data, no internet.

I read the article though, that's pretty cool. At the end of the day, he tweeted about it and had the FBI waiting for him at the airport. While extremely impressed at the on board access he was able to get: my posts are more targeted towards some sort of remote access gained as opposed to in-flight which would be catastrophic (a foreign entity obtaining system information from performing the same process and passing that information on, is also classified as catastrophic)

there should always be an option to take manual control. not a pilot but I think it's pretty fool proof

you dont really know much about technology eh
how do you think the master engineer gets its data from all the aircrafts that are flying from a company?

by floppy disks?

>LynxOS
Is this the precursor to electron?

Attached: 1502550340365.jpg (410x461, 28K)

>plane equipment is ran by intel MELTDOWN™ inside

Not him but to answer your question they probably use serial cables, yeah, in 2018. These planes prefer legacy technology as it tends to be more reliable. I worked with a jet fighter squadron in my country 3 years ago. They used iomega zip disks to load flight plans in Rafales

perhaps you dont understand

all airplanes send tremendous amount of data in REAL time on both their company and the engine company
now untill the 70s this was being done only for very specific parts of the engines and only via radio waves
but now literally everything the plane does goes via sats acars/fms/atc/aoc/ehmd and while its not really big comparing to what we know now (300-400mb ) just imagine the data transfer of thousands of planes around the flat globe converging on GE or RR

Xp was patched

That doesn't mean that the sysadmins actually applied the patch.

Whoever wrote that article doesn't understand shit about software developed for aircraft.