I don't "get" it

Help me understand the hype. Been trying since money store came out. Recently started listening again, some of the Money Store stuff is growing on me, but I still feel like I'm missing something. So help me understand the Death Grips bruhs

what DO you like???? obviously if you dont like stuff "like" dg you probably wont like dg....whats ur typical listening like?

It's about absurdity and rage. I didn't like death grips until I got a full time job.

Listen to a bunch of punk, industrial and hip hop albums then listen to The Money Store.

I would give each albums multiple listens

>full time

wew lad on the slave trade

1. Listen to albums more than once.
2. If you can't really get into the vocals, think of them more as an instrument or drum.
3. It's fine to skip a few of their tracks if you don't like them.

I didn't like them for a while as well, until many re-listens. I still don't really "get" the lyrics or the message most of the time, but I do really like the music. I don't even like rapping, but it somehow works here.

Forcing fecal matter down your throat doesn't make you like it neither does taking it in small sips. If you can't appreciate it then you don't.

its just a bunch of angsty teens. theyre more attracted to the cryptic nature of how dg releases their albums and goes about their daily business than anything else. its the quintessential meme rap

Don't think too hard about it, it's meant to be about the raw primal emotions. Analyse the lyrics yourself later.

Nah, Death Grips is pretty much the only music in that style I listen to.

Just moved to Sacramento from Hampton VA where Ride went to school near me. What's the pizza shop he used to work at? I need a side job

This user has the best idea on how to get into death grips.

DETH GRIPS GRIPRS GERPS DETHGOPS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA XD REDDIT LOL XD XDDDDDD REDDIT HAHA X^_;DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDD DD DD

I'm right there with you OP, and I've now decided I just don't like their music, only on rare occasions can I enjoy listening to them.

For me I tried listening to exmilitary.I only liked beware,so i listened to the album multiple times and eventually it was my favorite album of 2011.

Don't try to force yourself to like music you don't like.

Idk I hated mushrooms but I forced myself to eat them and now they are one of my favorite snacks. I can't do the same with music though.

I don't know, some of my favorite albums of all time I said I would never listen to again at one point.
It's good to push your tastes.

Start with Bottomless Pit, my favourite, and probably their most accessible album for people not used to or akin to their ultra-abrasive style.

(Don't be put off by the first two tracks lol, they're both very abrasive)

Yeah, it's not about "listening to music you don't like", it's about not being closed-minded and continuing to give music multiple chances to grow on you.

Listening to something in a different head space or different time can change how you hear it greatly. A couple of my 10/10 albums were as low as 7s at one point.

I "get" it

I just don't like it

get got is a good song though

What even is "getting" music. It's a pretty stupid concept. Understanding why an artist made the music they made or what they are trying to achieve is not going to change the sounds.

I like hip hop, shabbaz palaces and clpping full rotation atm. Also techno interests me.
Been getting into punk recently, babbys first punk ie 13 songs, Milo goes to college
But with DG I'm struggling to get into the lyricism of it, but it's growing on me.
yeah I think going into it with this perspective will help
Some of my favourite albums I hated at the start just because I didn't understand what they were trying to do, I like to give things a proper try

I think tis understanding the emotion/feels that the artist wants to bring out with his music or something like that

The Money Store and Exmilitary are both great but most of their other stuff is pretty shitty besides Jenny Death. Bottomless Pit was straight up shit.

I only liked Trash and Spikes

Yeah exactly like the other user said some of my favourite albums I just didn't get at the start, so I'm willing to try and understand it.

Thats completely fair user.Try leaving it alone for a week or two.

>only been working full time since death grips became known
you don't know rage yet

death grips are an acquired taste

the first time you listen you're all "wtf" but once it properly clicks it's like a conduit opening

Try some Hardcore bands like Black Flag or Bad Brains. MC Ride's flo and delievery take a lot of cues from hardcore punk vocals. In fact, Klink off of Exmilitary smaples a Black Flag song.

I always liked DG from the first time I heard them, except for NLDW (but then I started liking that one too).

Just don't bother if you don't like it I guess.

well meme'd friendo

Powers That B and NLDW are objectively shit.

Best description.
10/10 would agree again

No

since when has autechre had a black dude

i mean the lyrics aren't really the point of death grips, while its an added feature and on some songs it adds a shit ton of meaning, its not that important, i felt death grips was all about power and speed when i first started listening and that was a couple years ago, and only as of a couple months ago have i been getting into the lyrics. enjoy it for what it is, listen to it how they want you to

But they totally are though, you barely get what the songs are about if you don't atleast try to dig into the lyrics. It seems like it's about power and speed, but the dude actually has some of the best lyrics in the game. They seem memey to the untrained ear.
>Can't tell hell in my head am I dead or in asylum pill force-fed, lying to myself all by myself strapped down to my bed
>tongue cut out the mouth of reason and chucked off the river's edge

this dude fuckin gets it.

true
from 2011 to 2016 i went from "why is this homeless man yelling at me" to "this is the best band"

I love The Money Store the first time I heard it. DG probably isn't for you so stop trying to force it.

I don't get shit but I like the shouting and general loudness

If you don't like something, but you really want to try and get into it, come back to it a year later. Listen to other stuff in the mean time. Most of the time you'll at least have a new respect for why people might like it, even if you personally still don't.

>This man gets it.

this

this works for most of metal as well