>The Strokes
>Quens of the stone age
>interpol
>Artic monkeys
>Cage the elephant
>ETC...

Btw, 2000`s rock general.

Pussyrock

for people too worried about messing up their hair to actually rock.

lmao

So, market grunge?

don't forget arcade fire

Most of those are post punk revival or garage rock revival, idk how you think qotsa sounds anything like the rest though.

image is important yo

Definitely
Qotsa is a step above the rest of these bands

qotsa is for trailer park trash

Maybe but they never made pandering music

don't mind me just posting their best album

they are pandering to trailer park trash

patrician 2000's rock album coming through
also maybe the best thing jack white ever released

They haven't put out a single album that sounded like a previous one
I think they're in it for the music, not to be famous

>implying the rest aren't

Using CTE as an example of wasted talent and submission to pandering in order to stay relevant

What about Interpol, Strokes, AM, Arcade Fire? I don't see how they pander

This is the correct answer

I miss the garage rock and post-punk revivals. Seems like the last time guitar driven music was relevant in the mainstream.

Is this what alternative rock radio playlists looked like in that time period? In my market there were active rock, classic rock, & adult alternative stations, but there wasn't really a place on terrestrial radio to hear these bands that I later discovered were important to mainstream rock music during this time. I understood that my local stations were either appealing to buttrock loving hicks or MOR loving yuppies but I didn't really understand the infrastructure that promoted this sensibility of a garage/post-punk/70s hard rock revivalism like with White Stripes, Strokes, QotSA. It can't have all came from the internet right?

This revival started in the underground venues of NYC, that's where The Strokes and Interpol - the two biggest bands in this genre were born.

Unless you count mindless Buttrock or SHUTUPANDDANCEWITHME
than the answer is yes.
[spoiler]I'm praying that a new pseudo-Weezer commercial garage comes soon so I can listen to the radio again[/spoiler]

Idk about interpol or arcade fire cause I was never into them
AM was a pandering album, Arctic Monkeys had balls before they put out a slow ballad album that sounded like every other indie radio trash

AM was not pandering at all. Just because 14 year old girls took it to be their "I hate my parents and people in high school so i listen to this album because i am so unique" record doesn't mean it was pandering. It was a straight up mod rock revival album and harkened back to the cool guy leather jacket image of the 90s.

And if you think it had just ballads on it (or if their other albums didn't, I mean come on did you even listen to SIAS), you didn't listen to the album properly.

The Strokes/Stripes/YeahYeahYeahs got played on the rock station in my hick market. They were also pretty mainstream appearing on stuff like SNL and late night talk shows. I also remember disgraced news anchor Brian Williams talking up Interpol in interviews.

Okay, and the press being centered in NYC made these bands the object of national attention? Did they succeed? Did the cognoscenti navelgaze 2hard and fail to bridge the gap between a localized urban phenomenon and the ears of Indiana cornshuckers

>Is This It
>Turn On the Bright Lights
>Silent Alarm
>Hot Fuss
>Fever to Tell
>Up the Bracket
>Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not
>You're A Woman I'm A Machine

Why can't I hold all these great debut albums

post-punk revival and indie rock, besides queens of the stone age which is buttrock revival (and the only good band on that list)

>"Did the cognoscenti navelgaze 2hard and fail to bridge the gap between a localized urban phenomenon and the ears of Indiana cornshuckers"

I can't answer this because I don't speak whatever language this is written in.

To answer your other question, they became famous because they legitimately wrote amazing music. They captured the spirit and feel of 2000s New York and were a refreshing departure from the self involved indie music of the late 90s and early 2000s. The press in NYC and the press in London (there's a reason why this genre is referred to as NME-core) embraced it because it was indie enough to be credible yet catchy enough to sell copies. It snowballed from there as other bands jumped on the bandwagon, until the genre became so saturated that by 2009ish being a post punk revival band was uncool.

What I got from AM was them giving up on trying to go in new directions and giving in to the kind of sounds that they're most popular songs had in order to pander

I'm saying that they weren't famous to the degree that previous waves of rock musicians were, whether that be Fred Durst, Beck or Nirvana. Why??

It's because everyone hated SIAS and they were tired of doing music in the vein of their other three albums. So they went in a rock and roll / mod rock revival direction (because they've always fancied themselves as being ultra cool). They *made* that sound popular. Bands like The Neighbourhood and Imagine Dragons directly copied that sound, it's not AM's fault for being catchy and accessible -- all their albums are catchy and accessible.

The Strokes all had messy as fuck hair though?

just pop

I'd argue they were, at least in urban places. They didn't appeal to white trash flyover states because they were too "pretentious" which is maybe why you didn't hear it, but they were immensely popular on the coasts and Europe.

Probably because of the internet and people didn't have to look hard for new underground types of music so huge music revolutions were less likely to occur

>what happened rawk ???

Got a huge soft spot for these guys
Great band, some pretty neat B-Sides
Planning on starting to collect their 7's

>mod rock
>cool guy leather jacket image
>90s

Confirmed for not having a clue what you're talking about. Mod rock was a late 60s phenomenon that blended in to early British punk with bands like the jam. The leather jacket/pompadour look came from the 50s greaser scene and the arctic monkeys started copying it for the bad boy sex appeal after they toured in america and became obsessed with that aspect of historic americana. Neither of these things have anything to do with the music itself which was really tame and gutless compared to their early material

That fucking suuuuuucks

suck it and see was a good album
not humbug-level good and most definitely arctic monkeys' worst album
but it's still good

This guy gets it

I got the decade wrong, my bad. But I was talking about that same time period that you are

Their music was safe and accessible for sure, I'm not denying that. But AM never made envelope-pushing music. Hell, their first two albums were basically Libertines ripoffs.

>we want the Strokes audience

The Strokes are really the only lasting good band of that whole era, the new EP is pretty good too

I liked SIAS a lot. I love all of their albums. But I'm talking about the general critical and commerical reception.

Oh wow I got the decade wrong. Boo hoo. That doesn't invalidate my point.

Interpol and The National have aged really well too.

Exactly I would say that their loss in popularity and general loss in interest caused them to create something that would put them back in the public eye

>pandering

Is it pandering if they did something no one else was doing, though? Just because something is popular doesn't erode all its artistic value. It was popular because it was new (at least in the mainstream). Your pandering argument would apply to The Neighbourhood and Imagine Dragons, but imo not to AM.

>Generic Hard Rock with a blues bent
>We still use 90s shitty vocal effects
>Letting our singer sing more than in half an octave and not be a cool dude? Never

Yeah, they're way worse.

Well, Seven Nation Army has become a staple at football games alongside the likes of AC/DC and GNR. I guess that's a level of lasting mainstream impact.

Nice trips
And you know what I don't know why I'm arguing, I loved AM. I guess I just get mad cause it brought out Imagine Dragons

God they're actually terrible besides a few songs

>tfw from Palm Desert and everyone in the music scene goes on and on about the old days of QOTSA

>tfw i loved imagine dragon's first album despite wanting to hate it

Josh Homme is famous for his falsetto and ranging vocals
Qotsa is really dynamic if you actually listen to their albums all the way through and they're constantly changing and improving their sound

Yeah cause Josh fires everybody but himself every album

My true formative years.

I made a list when I was 13 y/o circa 2003-2004 of "my favorite bands"

1. Fountains of Wayne
2. The White Stripes
3. Coldplay
4. Franz Ferdinand
5. Modest Mouse
6. Radiohead
7. The Vines
8. Kaiser Chiefs
9. The Strokes
10. The Sounds
11. The Hives
12. Queens of the Stone Age
13. Turbonegro
14. Nirvana
15. The Beatles

Sometimes that is a bad thing but its his band so so what, in bands people stop contributing so you either let the cancer eat away or you cut it out

i must be involved in the very tiny demographic, but every one of The Stroke's albums have been phenomenal every time i've listened through them. Angles was solid, but their first 3 albums are fucking legendary

Yes but have you heard Comedown Machine and the new EP?

I've masturbated to both of them, yes.

New EP is good, idk why the internet hates it

Drag Queen is the worst track

Anti Capitalist lyrics are lame

patrician

I agree on both counts but the other two tracks are god tier.

I think guitar based music will be back in the mainstream in 2 years or so. People will want something visceral again.

>not being too worried about messing up your hair
what's wrong with you user?

Outsiders is GOAT

>also maybe the best thing jack white ever released
no

It's interesting that the marquee "indie" acts right now are 21 Pilots and Halsey - not guitar driven and certainly not indie. I also think the backlash against guitars is part of a backlash against masculinity (also think about how feminized even rap has become and how often male singers use falsetto now). I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just observing.

All of them support Bernie Sanders and shit now.

I don't get why the richest people preach against the system that made them?

Mhmm, he's famous for his falsetto, that's why every publication lost their shit when he used it for the second or third time in his entire discography for that sappy ballad on their last record.

And his range is "Vocal fry on my normal range" and "Vocal fry on my low range" plus "horribly unsupported falsetto". He sucks.

Music with a neo-liberal message would never sell.

And at least they don't support Trump.

It's called compassion. Surprisingly some people think beyond "fuck you, got mine".

didn't the bass player for qotsa eat someone or something?

messy hair was the trend

>implying supporting the God Emperor is bad

Music shouldn't have any shoehorned political message that will make it sound dated in 10 years though 2bh

Julian just seems less smart than he appeared to be before. The whole anti capitalist Voidz album and this now is just bad.

>Fuck you I got mine
Thats not what I was intending it to sound like it's that it's over the counter counter culture that will make it sound dated

I hope there's some kind of rebellion against acts like Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed or any of the other buttrock that still sells these days. That shit is as cancerous as hair metal ever was.

anti capitalism has been around as long as capitalism itself buddy

Yeah, until I went through an edge phase in high school. All about Slayer, Acid Mothers Temple, Rush, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine, Muse, Mars Volta and other edge of the times.

>I still like almost everything from every "phase" of my life

>Mod rock was a late 60s phenomenon

no, if anything it was the mid-60s and was way out of fashion by the late 60s. if you think that's an arbitrary distinction to make, then you're confirmed for not having a clue what you're talking about

>thinking that fashions in Europe and America were consistent at any point in the 60s.

who could forget the great influential mod albums of the late 60s such as the village green preservation society and tommy. it's almost as if though these modders never heard bob dylan or psychedelic rock at all! as i understand it, everyone was still on speed in the late sixties in europe; there was no weed or lsd in the whole continent. the distinct lack of counter-culture in europe is exactly why the beatles never kept up their popularity in the states.

just admit you fucked up.

Either garage-rock revival, alternative rock or indie rock.

My girlfriend fucking loves Angles for the 80s vibe it gives. She puts it on as foreplay and I can only get semi-hard

>not being diamond hard during Games

>being calculus during Gratisfaction

>what is one hit wonder